• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

I've found that even when machines have interval options, their intervals tend to be too long.

Yea, they had it at my old gym. It was nice as you just hit a button and it would switch between your two speeds.

It seemed to be smoother as I didn't have to hold the speed down button.

Anyways, you can really do HIIT with anything. I do it while working out my legs every other week.

Petrie

Banned
4 plates? Goddam. I will be at three plates in a couple of weeks. What's your cut like?

I mentioned it on the last page but:

So hard to figure out how much to eat now that I have an office job instead of waiting tables and bartending. I'm cutting so my baseline has been 1500 with 250 more on lifting days, but part of me thinks that might be too low given my lean muscle/bodysize. I'm not starving throughout the day, but I could definitely eat more. 5'10 and 175lbs or so for reference if anyone has input.

I do eat more if I do any cardio, even if its just a long walk.

I haven't been super strict, I cheat when it tickles my fancy, like a few slices of pizza last night after my girl's softball game. My low back has always been a strong point for me along with legs, so my deads have suffered less while cutting. Lots of Quest bars, chicken, some rice, and trying to keep my eating to an 8-10 hour window eat day. No breakfast.

I am using straps for these pulls as chalk is still discouraged at my gym. Trying to fix that though.

abuC

I remembered why I don't eat breakfast, I had 3 eggs, turkey bacon on an onion bagel and right now I feel more hungry than I would on an empty stomach post workout.

I make bad food decisions after I have breakfast, my body says "I like that, lets get some more!"

395x1 on my Deads today while continuing my cut, down to 175lbs.

Next cycle I attack 4 plates. I feel like a beast!

Can't wait.

Holy shit thats amazing, and especially for your size!

Did you start deadlifting long ago?

I recently picked it up since my lower back was disastrously weak causing me back pains after STANDING for short periods of time. I started at around 95lbs and a month later am at 185x5. Now its starting to get much harder to increase.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I remembered why I don't eat breakfast, I had 3 eggs, turkey bacon on an onion bagel and right now I feel more hungry than I would on an empty stomach post workout.

I make bad food decisions after I have breakfast, my body says "I like that, lets get some more!"
This is so very true! I made eggs for my kids this morning and one didn't finish them. I didn't eat them for the reason you stated. It really does make a big difference.

I'm approaching 300 on my squat (!), and I seem to be getting some consequent knee pain. My problem, I think, stems from the fact that I keep my knees to narrow--does anyone have a good video illustrating how far out my knees should be?

edit: I have the SS book, but a video can often be more illustrative of proper form.

andycapps

How and where exactly do you guys do your HIIT training? I have no idea how to go about incorporating it into my routine. My gym has all the standard cardio equipment (treadmill, elliptical, step-climber, etc) but no running track.

When I do it, it's outside. Lot of treadmills couldn't handle a full sprint and the acceleration isn't really fast enough unless you stand on the sides while it gets going and then jump on. And that's pretty dangerous, so don't try it.

Zoe

Ellipticals are good for HIIT because you can change the resistance and (sometimes) incline. The speed is all you.

I see that the GNC membership is free if you spend 10$ online. Is it possible to do this at a store?
Yup.

Finally tried the Quest bars... Apple Pie > all others. Holy shit there's no way it can be good for you. It's delicious. Choc. Chip Cookie Dough is ok. Brownie is clearly below these two. I'm gonna try Peanut Butter Supreme today. Excited for that flavor.

abuC

This is so very true! I made eggs for my kids this morning and one didn't finish them. I didn't eat them for the reason you stated. It really does make a big difference.

It sucks, cause sometimes I'm not really hungry but would like to get breakfast with someone and if I do my stomach isn't satisfied until it's had 3 squares. You have more will power than me, I would have tore through those unfinished eggs like no tomorrow.

grumble

How and where exactly do you guys do your HIIT training? I have no idea how to go about incorporating it into my routine. My gym has all the standard cardio equipment (treadmill, elliptical, step-climber, etc) but no running track.

I use a rowing machine. Best form of cardio IMO (of standard machines), and perfect for HIIT.

Tonight's menu:

Frosted Stawberry Poptarts
Cinnamon Toast Crunch
Ben and Jerry's Americone Dream
Pan Pizza

All of my lifts went perfectly this week as far as progression. Feeling awesome right now.

Cooter

Tonight's menu:

Frosted Stawberry Poptarts
Cinnamon Toast Crunch
Ben and Jerry's Americone Dream
Pan Pizza

All of my lifts went perfectly this week as far as progression. Feeling awesome right now.

Solid list there my friend. Enjoy! You've earned it.

Petrie

Banned
Holy shit thats amazing, and especially for your size!

Did you start deadlifting long ago?

I recently picked it up since my lower back was disastrously weak causing me back pains after STANDING for short periods of time. I started at around 95lbs and a month later am at 185x5. Now its starting to get much harder to increase.

Started them when I began SS back in July of 2011. Reset to work on form 6 months back. Best decision I could have made, even if it meant leaving my ego at the door and dropping the numbers substantially for a bit.

Small progress is still progress. You'll be pulling huge numbers before you know it. I remember when 275 seemed unattainable.

sqwarlock

Yup.

Finally tried the Quest bars... Apple Pie > all others. Holy shit there's no way it can be good for you. It's delicious. Choc. Chip Cookie Dough is ok. Brownie is clearly below these two. I'm gonna try Peanut Butter Supreme today. Excited for that flavor.

Apple pie really is the best flavor. The chunks of apples really send it over the top.

Started them when I began SS back in July of 2011. Reset to work on form 6 months back. Best decision I could have made, even if it meant leaving my ego at the door and dropping the numbers substantially for a bit.

Small progress is still progress. You'll be pulling huge numbers before you know it. I remember when 275 seemed unattainable.

Thanks for the info! Yea I'm definitely trying to work on my form because I know that my lower back is already problematic, and deadlifts done wrong are a surefire way to screw myself even more in the long run!

Petrie

Banned
Thanks for the info! Yea I'm definitely trying to work on my form because I know that my lower back is already problematic, and deadlifts done wrong are a surefire way to screw myself even more in the long run!

So long as you realize form is more important than numbers you're on the right track. Even though Shogun and I started out at similar times, he is way beyond me, and that's ok. You're only competing with yourself. Are you better than you were yesterday? Last week? Last month? Then you are killing it.

Thanks for the encouragement guys above. It really does keep me going. I don't know where I'd be without these threads.

PBY

Banned
Just got SSed. Got told by a dude that my routine was bs (which it might be lol), but then said I should do SS.

I was doing 10 rep bench @ 260, he was doing 3x5 of 155. Best of luck for the dude, but damn I hate when ppl try and coach me. Mind ur own routine lol.

Noema

Just got SSed. Got told by a dude that my routine was bs (which it might be lol), but then said I should do SS.

I was doing 10 rep bench @ 260, he was doing 3x5 of 155. Best of luck for the dude, but damn I hate when ppl try and coach me. Mind ur own routine lol.

He didn't get the memo that explained that the first "S" in SS stands for "Starting". What a tool.

I always recommend SS to novices, but if someone is benching 260lb for sets of 10, well, that's sort of the definition of "not a novice".

Tash

You can do it fine on cardio equipment. Some people say it is preferable.

I do elliptical 1 minute on 1 minute off(20 minutes worth). Use an app on my phone that will play a sound in my headphones on interval switches.

I am using an iOS app called "seconds" pretty cool since you can create your own intervals and assign your own music to sets or even single workout parts. Pretty awesome for my walking lunges/jumping rope switch sequences.

I only use cardio machines for long steady cardio and I prefer the stair climber since my legs are my weakest part overall. For HIIT I use jumping ropes, lunges, burners and other stuff in short intervals of 30 to max 90 secs alternating.

Petrie

Banned

You're doing 10 reps at 265, how does someone not realize you're beyond a beginner routine at that point?

Tash

He didn't get the memo that explained that the first "S" in SS stands for "Starting". What a tool.

I always recommend SS to novices, but if someone is benching 260lb for sets of 10, well, that's sort of the definition of "not a novice".

Got SS on my kindle today (the third edition thingie) and will get on it. Still following the 3 month plan. From what I can see the exercises are all what rippetoe talks about too. I am a sucker for theory and facts behind stuff, though. I like tony dear stand what and why I am doing something.

Noema

Got SS on my kindle today (the third edition thingie) and will get on it. Still following the 3 month plan. From what I can see the exercises are all what rippetoe talks about too. I am a sucker for theory and facts behind stuff, though. I like tony dear stand what and why I am doing something.

SS is the best book on the subject. And you don't have to do SS (the program) to make use of SS (the book). I was done with SS over a year ago and I still consult the book almost every day. For example, today I reread most of the OHP chapter during my commute since today was 5/3/1 press day. There's always something new to learn from it; it's so rife with data. It's almost like a textbook in its density.

I absolutely adore that book and it should be required reading for everyone who is interested in barbells. I also wholeheartedly recommend "Practical Programming for Strength Training".

ZeroRay

Ate practically no carbs before going to the gym.

First time I felt sick doing squats in a long ass time. Still finished my sets doe.

I wonder how Gregor Clegane AKA The Mountain that Rides would do in a powerlifting competition.

^Doesn't he swing around a 100+ pound greatsword with ease? Dude's a freak. (So is the guy who played him in S1)

And apparently Westeros has better nutrition than most places today considering the abundance of seven footers there.

Imm0rt4l

I know this feel too well. I am fucking insatiable. This is why I was digging IF, since I'll get theopportunity to eat again sooner than I otherwise would eating early mornings.

Anybody know good ways to make cottage cheese taste good? I put some in the blender wit some on peanut butter, a frozen banana, milk and a little chocolate. I was too cheap to buy some whey so I'm on dat struggle protein shake.

dejay

Banned
I know this feel too well. I am fucking insatiable. This is why I was digging IF, since I'll get theopportunity to eat again sooner than I otherwise would eating early mornings.

Anybody know good ways to make cottage cheese taste good? I put some in the blender wit some on peanut butter, a frozen banana, milk and a little chocolate. I was too cheap to buy some whey so I'm on dat struggle protein shake.

Whey's going to cost you a lot less than cottage cheese per gram of protein. But I used to love cottage cheese and pineapple.

PBY

Banned
I do, yep and I called the local PD first to let them know what I was wearing and what it looks like. They STILL have driven past me the last few times I walk in it.
Damn lol. That was pretty smart calling up the PD.

Maybe I'll just get one and treadmill (ugh) with it.

Noema

Try it with cantaloupe.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I warned you Shogun. Stay clear. These are the threads mods like to ban people from and then we'd be without our thread captain!

Eh, I'm no captain. And it's happened before I have strong opinions. That thread just makes me.

images

Sometimes this forum just seems simply TOO liberal.

rando14

Eat it with scrambled eggs and salsa.

Lunch of champions

Cooter

Eh, I'm no captain. And it's happened before I have strong opinions. That thread just makes me.

images

Sometimes this forum just seems simply TOO liberal.

I try to stay clear of them. Been banned many times and half the times I don't even know what post caused it. I lean right on fiscal policy and guns. Socially I'm pretty damn left. This place makes me feel like Sean Hannity and the insults don't ever seem to stop. Yeah, that thread is frustrating.

And you damn well are the thread captain! Don't give me that shit! You don't have to proclaim it but I will.

moocow

I usually dice up some apples or strawberry into it. Sometimes I just mix in a bit of honey instead. That actually makes it taste pretty decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom