• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Anybody know good ways to make cottage cheese taste good? I put some in the blender wit some on peanut butter, a frozen banana, milk and a little chocolate. I was too cheap to buy some whey so I'm on dat struggle protein shake.

We make this casserole with cottage cheese, spinach, mushrooms, water chestnuts, eggs, cheese on top and occasionally bacon. It's pretty damn good!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I try to stay clear of them. Been banned many times and half the times I don't even know what post caused it. I lean right on fiscal policy and guns. Socially I'm pretty damn left. This place makes me feel like Sean Hannity and the insults don't ever seem to stop. Yeah, that thread is frustrating.

And you damn well are the thread captain! Don't give me that shit! You don't have to proclaim it but I will.

I think we are probably pretty similarly politically minded. I'm about the same way as you posted you are. Seriously though, make food stamps work like WIC. Problem solved. Now we don't have to watch people buying pizza, soda, kool-aid, steak, (whathaveyou) with food stamps.

These things are luxury goods, not the necessities. If tax payers are feeding you, we shouldn't be wasting our money. Especially if your ass is gonna brag about it.

Shit, I'd actually be "ok" with using food stamps for whey (oh snap fitgaf tie in) because it's pretty nutritionally sound.

I tried cutting for two weeks to try to drop some stomach flab, but holy shit I feel like I lost a ton of size. Definitely ramping my carbs back up steadily. I hate feeling small.

#ForeverBulk

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I tried cutting for two weeks to try to drop some stomach flab, but holy shit I feel like I lost a ton of size. Definitely ramping my carbs back up steadily. I hate feeling small.

#ForeverBulk

Probably just a little deflated bud, that or your mind is fucking with you. We all seem to have that problem here one way or another.

Aw shit, I think I hear MJ coming to tell us all we are fatter than we think we are.

abuC

Weird soreness, I've had it a couple of times before

485112_173560356109466_461056667_n_zpsaa73a8f0.jpg

My neck all along that line is sore, I did chest/biceps yesterday, I'm going to guess incline bench is the reason for that, no?

abuC

I know this feel too well. I am fucking insatiable. This is why I was digging IF, since I'll get theopportunity to eat again sooner than I otherwise would eating early mornings.

My diet has been complete crap today, been eating since 6am and I'm still going to get dinner in a few, probably a chicken parm sub. I'd say after that I will be around 5000 calories on the day, and it's all because I got breakfast.

I won't be having breakfast again for a while.

entremet

#ForeverBulk

It was probably water weight. Just make sure you don't start cutting immediately, meaning go on maintenance and ramp down slowly into your cut, so you don't lose hard earned muscle. Keep protein as high as you can too.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My diet has been complete crap today, been eating since 6am and I'm still going to get dinner in a few, probably a chicken parm sub. I'd say after that I will be around 5000 calories on the day, and it's all because I got breakfast.

I won't be having breakfast again for a while.

Breakfast for dinner.

Weird soreness, I've had it a couple of times before

485112_173560356109466_461056667_n_zpsaa73a8f0.jpg

My neck all along that line is sore, I did chest/biceps yesterday, I'm going to guess incline bench is the reason for that, no?

Does it feel like muscle pain though? That doesn't look like a place you should be sore bud.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm out, I can't deal with a semi-normal low carb diet, I want to go back to keto. I feel bloated and shitty.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How long did you last?

Maybe a week. I stopped keto/carb nite (2 weeks of carb nite) after not even a week. I want to go back. I miss keto. I don't miss feeling sluggish. Whatever!

I had pizza today. I feel like a fat shit.

MT, are you still gonna use the smith machine for flat and incline bench?

When I do it, it's outside. Lot of treadmills couldn't handle a full sprint and the acceleration isn't really fast enough unless you stand on the sides while it gets going and then jump on. And that's pretty dangerous, so don't try it.

I've done this a few times. Pretty sure Wendler recommended it as a conditioning tool if you don't have a prowler, weighted vest, some nice hills etc. He does it personally in winter and seems to believe "it's easy on the knees". Not too sure about that last part. :s

Maybe a week. I stopped keto/carb nite (2 weeks of carb nite) after not even a week. I want to go back. I miss keto. I don't miss feeling sluggish. Whatever!

If it makes you feel any better tonight is a carb nite and I can barely move.

veruca-salt.png

PKrockin

Am I crazy, or are bananas like twice as good sliced up instead of just eaten right from the peel? They're friggin' delicious all of a sudden and all I did was cut them up on a plate.

Holy shit at this political leanings = body strength thread.

Holy shit indeed. Especially compared to the what do you think of fat people thread. Someone's appearance doesn't affect my judgment of their character... but god forbid they're fit, those fucking egotistical meatheads.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Sho, just wanted to say in here, our safe haven:

I think things would be much better if foodstamps worked like WIC. Not even sure why this isn't the case.

You're right, but people will make up bullshit reasons.

SeanR1221

Hasn't timedog caused problems in here before besides food stamps?

It was over a year ago, around when I first started lifting, I think I remember him always arguing basic points with everyone.

I think he also used to complain 185lb squats put marks on his back...or something.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Am I crazy, or are bananas like twice as good sliced up instead of just eaten right from the peel? They're friggin' delicious all of a sudden and all I did was cut them up on a plate.

Holy shit indeed. Especially compared to the what do you think of fat people thread. Someone's appearance doesn't affect my judgment of their character... but god forbid they're fit, those fucking egotistical meatheads.

Haters gonna hate.

As for Bananas, my wife got these chocolate covered bananas with almonds on them. I think they are made by Dole, they are pretty good.

Edit: Oh and they are sliced.

Hey Sho, just wanted to say in here, our safe haven:

You're right, but people will make up bullshit reasons.

Yeah, also they equate what I'm saying to "you're poor? Then starve" which couldn't be further from the truth. That's how this shit always goes though. I don't know why I bother posting in those threads.

Seriously though, there's absolutely no reason for foodstamps NOT to be like WIC from what I can see. I'd be completely fine with foodstamps if they worked that way.

It was over a year ago, around when I first started lifting, I think I remember him always arguing basic points with everyone.

Yep, he still comes and goes though. I tend to not even bother interacting with him anymore.

You crack me up.

Mumei

I warned you Shogun. Stay clear. These are the threads mods like to ban people from and then we'd be without our thread captain!

Well, personally I'm happy to ban people from any thread.

I don't think anyone has been banned in that thread

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, personally I'm happy to ban people from any thread.

I don't think anyone has been banned in that thread

Mumei what's your current weight, goal weight, and physical goals?

blackflag

I try to stay clear of them. Been banned many times and half the times I don't even know what post caused it. I lean right on fiscal policy and guns. Socially I'm pretty damn left. This place makes me feel like Sean Hannity and the insults don't ever seem to stop. Yeah, that thread is frustrating.

And you damn well are the thread captain! Don't give me that shit! You don't have to proclaim it but I will.

Yeah all I did in that thread was post my picture for LoLs then exit

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how Gregor Clegane AKA The Mountain that Rides would do in a powerlifting competition.

Conan Stevens, the actor who played him (first season) is legit huge: 7ft tall and over 300lbs but going by his website he mainly does bodybuilding routines and doesn't lift as heavy as he could anymore, which is fair enough since he needs to be injury free to act and he's not young. He also suffered from some pretty nasty nerve damage which atrophied one side of his back for years. That said, here's a quote from his site about squatting:

Conan Stevens said:
Harry my NZ powerlifting friend pulled me off the squat rack and gave me a tongue lashing the first time I trained squats with him, I was squatting 445lbs – What the F! are they? He pulled off all the weights and left me with 145lbs (1 50lb plate each side of the Olympic bar). He then told me to squat until my ass touched my heels.

I continued my entire workout in this fashion, focusing on correct technique.

Next week he let me put on 245lbs, 2 plates a side. This stopped me dead in my tracks about the 7th rep. My quads were exhausted. I could not believe how weak my legs were. Next day they were much sorer than they had ever been doing those ‘squatting to parallel’ I had previously done with 445lbs.

Over the next few months I built back up to 4 plates a side, but this time squatting to the ground.

Mumei

Mumei what's your current weight, goal weight, and physical goals?

I weigh 125 pounds and I'm fine with that. I don't really have any physical goals. I mean, you know, besides not suffering catastrophic injury and losing the use of important appendages. That is an important goal of mine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I weigh 125 pounds and I'm fine with that. I don't really have any physical goals. I mean, you know, besides not suffering catastrophic injury and losing the use of important appendages. That is an important goal of mine.

I guess then...keep doing what you're doing.

Consider 25 lbs more of muscle. Don't make any decisions, just...yknow, consider it. Think about it. We'll be here.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

SKWAT for ultimate protection.

Mumei

I don't think he posts in this thread, but a friend of mine (excelforward) did that over the last four or five years. He said he was 155 when I saw him last week.

And I can't squat or skwat; shira said it is because I have a muscle imbalance in another thread. I'm not sure whether he's right or what causes said imbalance if he is, though.

abuC

Breakfast for dinner.

You may be onto something there, back when I was a fat slob though I'd go to the diner at 12am and get eggs and pancakes....and I don't even get high.

Does it feel like muscle pain though? That doesn't look like a place you should be sore bud.

It feels like general muscle soreness, I've been searching and it seems to happen to other people from from time to time with incline. For me when the weight gets heavy I have the habit of leaning my head further and further back, which could be it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't think he posts in this thread, but a friend of mine (excelforward) did that over the last four or five years. He said he was 155 when I saw him last week.

And I can't squat or skwat; shira said it is because I have a muscle imbalance in another thread. I'm not sure whether he's right or what causes said imbalance if he is, though.

Not sure what/who "shira" is but if he isn't your doctor/pt or someone dealing with you in person they don't know what they are talking about and shouldn't be telling you what you can or cannot do unless you've specifically said something along the lines of "squatting makes me shit my spine out."

You said a friend of yours but these days that can mean anything, so context is a little fuzzy here.

If you want to lift, you will lift. If you don't you won't it's as simple as that barring some type of physical impediment, and even with those, many can be overcome.

You may be onto something there, back when I was a fat slob though I'd go to the diner at 12am and get eggs and pancakes....and I don't even get high.

It feels like general muscle soreness, I've been searching and it seems to happen to other people from from time to time with incline. For me when the weight gets heavy I have the habit of leaning my head further and further back, which could be it.

Ah, yeah that makes sense. Be careful with that shit man, don't need to be tweaking your damned neck.

I mention breakfast for dinner because I just had it today. I don't eat breakfast anymore, so I have to do it that way.

Edit: Anyhow, I'm off for the night. Need to get some sleep to keep up with my little neck stabbers tomorrow.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
When I used to do keto it was basically breakfast time all the time. Eggs and bacon, eggs and sausage.

This sounds glorious. I think I'm too attached to the quickness and simplicity of a bowlful of rice or cereal to ever do keto or the like though.

Noema

Conan Stevens, the actor who played him (first season) is legit huge: 7ft tall and over 300lbs but going by his website he mainly does bodybuilding routines and doesn't lift as heavy as he could anymore, which is fair enough since he needs to be injury free to act and he's not young. He also suffered from some pretty nasty nerve damage which atrophied one side of his back for years. That said, here's a quote from his site about squatting:

That's a pretty cool story. I'm glad he saw the light and stopped fooling himself. It's funny how he used to think he was squatting to parallel when in reality he was just quarter squatting. I wonder how many bros how like k show off by doing quarter squats with a ton of weight actually think they are going to parallel in their minds eye.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: Anyhow, I'm off for the night. Need to get some sleep to keep up with my little neck stabbers tomorrow.

I thought "haw! children! because they poke your neck!" then remembered...nope.

noooooope.

Cagey

Banned
Woo, halfway through the end of my first 5/3/1 month. On the 1+ funtime.

335 for 5 on deads
235 for 8 on bench

Pleased so far, given I haven't done deadlifts in years before these past four weeks. Squats will be embarrassing enough tomorrow though.

_Isaac

That's a pretty cool story. I'm glad he saw the light and stopped fooling himself. It's funny how he used to think he was squatting to parallel when in reality he was just quarter squatting. I wonder how many bros how like k show off by doing quarter squats with a ton of weight actually think they are going to parallel in their minds eye.

Once I read about the importance of squatting to parallel I've started noticing that A LOT of people do quarter or half squats. Maybe it's because I go in the morning, and there are less people, but I think I've only seen two of the morning regulars actually squat to parallel.

Imm0rt4l

So Ben Rice is willing to spend as many as 5 hours(but normally 3) in the gym. Makes sense as to how he can deadlift 650 plus lbs for multiple reps and sets. Dat volume and dedication. I just wanna hit 600 for a single, Jesus.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

I think he also used to complain 185lb squats put marks on his back...or something.

I've had arguments in these threads. I've admitted to being wrong when it was shown that I was wrong, multiple times. Case in point, an argument about the amount of protein needed in the diet. I argued, using a scientific paper that I had found, against this until I received a counter argument that I felt was sufficient. I am not swayed by "so and so with experience says this is what you should do". I am swayed by reasoning and facts. When someone has presented actual data, or reasoning that bests my own, I will submit to that. I feel like nutrition knowledge in the thread since that time has grown a lot since then, and my argument on that particular matter would have been quashed from the get go if it were to happen now. There were a couple other things I was wrong about too, I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Yes, squats were putting deep red marks on my back at first. I think at like 135 actually. Yeah, that was weird, I'm not sure why that happened or why it stopped happening.

Noema

So Ben Rice is willing to spend as many as 5 hours(but normally 3) in the gym. Makes sense as to how he can deadlift 650 plus lbs for multiple reps and sets. Dat volume and dedication. I just wanna hit 600 for a single, Jesus.

That guy is just on a whole different level.

When he was doing Smolov's, at one point he had to do 5x5 on Squats with 550lb. And he had to grind every rep. You could see in his face that he wanted to dump the weight and quit the set, but he just soldiered on. His mental fortitude is mind-boggling.

It's also pretty fun watch him train like he does, in a commercial gym filled with Bros doing usual bro nonsense while he squats 5 plates and benches 3 for his warmup.

PKrockin

Just read this in the "How do I improve my posture?" thread.

I realize how simple it looks to do something like this.
220px-Walter_de_Maria_Vertikaler_Erdkilometer.jpg

But 90% of people can not due this due to muscle imbalances or scar tissue build up.

If I was a very naive/lazy personal trainer I would recommend squats, but in reality they are nigh impossible for the regular everyday joe, much less someone who is already hunched over. Ask any power lifter, it takes months to perfect the motion.

Post a pic/vine. Stand erect, drop smoothly down to a squat, toes pointed forward.
With NO heel lift.
I would be seriously impressed.

Is it true most people can't do this? And if so, why not? It's not hard for me and I've got chicken legs and a sedentary lifestyle.

Noema

Is it true most people can't do this? And if so, why not? It's not hard for me and I've got chicken legs due to my sedentary lifestyle.

Seems quite exaggerated. Most people can easily squat below parallel if they adjust their stance / foot placement. Less flexible people will need a wider stance with toes pointed outwards; more flexible people will be able to use a narrower stance with toes pointed forward.

Seems like the typical excuse to avoid squats.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

Is it true most people can't do this? And if so, why not? It's not hard for me and I've got chicken legs and a sedentary lifestyle.

Seems quite exaggerated. Most people can easily squat below parallel if they adjust their stance / foot placement. Less flexible people will need a wider stance with toes pointed outwards; more flexible people will be able to use a narrower stance with toes pointed forward.

Seems like the typical excuse to avoid squats.

It's also toeing the line of a fetishisation of the narrow stance, toes forward squat as superior, ignoring that lifters widen their stance for strength and muscle recruitment and that that necessitates that the toes point outwards. Also, lifters have to worry about maintaining an extended lumbar.

sphinx

the piano man
I know it's anecdotal and all but I know of 2 guys that just can't squat, at all, as soon as they start going down it all starts to crumble and they fall on their asses, I have no idea how to help them and I feel bad :/

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I know it's anecdotal and all but I know of 2 guys that just can't squat, at all, as soon as they start going down it all starts to crumble and they fall on their asses, I have no idea how to help them and I feel bad :/

You have really fat/sedentary/immobile people start on box squats and then air squat flexibility training (holding position at the bottom, pushing knees out with elbows).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom