• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matugi

What is a good way to get eat eggs when I'm not a fan of eggs to begin with? I don't mind omelets but they take a lot of effort. Should I just throw two or three into a protein shake?

abuC

What is a good way to get eat eggs when I'm not a fan of eggs to begin with? I don't mind omelets but they take a lot of effort. Should I just throw two or three into a protein shake?

Hard boil a dozen or two worth of eggs and you'll have them ready to go whenever you need them.

sphinx

the piano man
2nd try today, going to bench 60 kgs x 5...... no excuses... I rested, I slept, I ate...

Done!! :-D

did it. damn, if I had a spotter, I'd easy reach bodyweight.

very succesful day, increased my numbers across the board.

Now I am gonna eat a cupcake..

lol, Just kidding hehe, I am with you on this Sean, fuck Planet Fitness

Noema

That's the thing I don't feel hungry and don't feel like eating. Unless the seefood diet is just stuff your face no matter if you're hungry or not

You see food, you eat it. :D

Noema, you have any insight for me? I know you had a back issue before.

Well, I'm not an expert or anything but what really helped me was a) mobility work and b) a copious amount of foam rolling.

This latter point is essential I think. Prehab is as important as training.

Depending on the severity of your injury you might want to try Bill Starr's Rehab Proocol

SeanR1221

Yeaaaaaah buddy!!

Over the last 8 months, I cut my body fat % from 25 to 10.5 % (measured using Jackson/Pollock 7-site fat caliper method)
I can see the outline of my abs, but I'm not quite low fat/ high muscle enough to be ripped without flexing.
Should I bulk up and recut or stay lean and slow bulk? I gain muscle mass rather easy, but I didn't train in the last few months.

Over the last 8 months, I cut my body fat % from 25 to 10.5 % (measured using Jackson/Pollock 7-site fat caliper method)
I can see the outline of my abs, but I'm not quite low fat/ high muscle enough to be ripped without flexing.
Should I bulk up and recut or stay lean and slow bulk? I gain muscle mass rather easy, but I didn't train in the last few months.

have a pic? If you are really at 10%, your abs should be out in full force.

Hey guys I need some help

I've read a few basic studies that vary in opinion on the best amount of sets/reps for bulking.

I thought 3x8 was right, but now I'm hearing 5x8. Which is the best for bulking?

If it helps I think I'm still capable of noob gains but an explanation would be awesome.

Jack_AG

Banned

I've read a few basic studies that vary in opinion on the best amount of sets/reps for bulking.

I thought 3x8 was right, but now I'm hearing 5x8. Which is the best for bulking?

If it helps I think I'm still capable of noob gains but an explanation would be awesome.
TBH - everyone will be different and have different needs. For example, I work up in weight and down in reps 10, 8, 6, 4, 4. Some people stick to a high rep range while others stick to a low rep range. Some do 15 sets per workout on a single muscle and others do 8.

You need to find what you respond best to as there is no "one size fits all" for everyone.

I do 5 sets per exercise and 3 exercises per muscle with the exception of legs/back (5 sets 4 exercises), 6 days per week, one muscle group per day. That is a lot, but I don't respond to anything but. On a deload week I run 2 exercises of 4 sets with 60% load. On off weeks I hit the heavy bag and rollerblade.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! 4th day in the gym complete (started going last Sunday). I'm really starting to enjoy this stuff, especially now that the initial soreness is mostly gone.

Since tonight's a carb nite, I decided to push myself a little further than usual and added in a few sets of bench presses and bicep curls (standing with a barbell) to my plan which consisted of squats, overhead presses, and deadlifts. I was also able to add a bit of weight to each exercise from my previous session without too much trouble.

And now it's time to feast! Spicy teriyaki chicken with too much rice is first on the menu.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yay! 4th day in the gym complete (started going last Sunday). I'm really starting to enjoy this stuff, especially now that the initial soreness is mostly gone.

Since tonight's a carb nite, I decided to push myself a little further than usual and added in a few sets of bench presses and bicep curls (standing with a barbell) to my plan which consisted of squats, overhead presses, and deadlifts. I was also able to add a bit of weight to each exercise from my previous session without too much trouble.

And now it's time to feast! Spicy teriyaki chicken with too much rice is first on the menu.

Inspiring. Form healthy habits and they will be the gift that keeps on giving!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The barbells at the gyms I've been going to go relatively unused compared to how many people are doing the machine circuit. Seems like the gym tries to push people toward using the machines, too.

Really glad I found this thread and the information in books like starting strength before getting started.

Sober

Hi Fitness-GAF!

So after 25 years I decided to finally get off my stupid butt and go to a gym. I've gone for a few hours, did some really light cardio on the treadmill (like 4-4.5mph) for 5-10 minutes then went at it for the machines a bit. Didn't really feel like I was getting anywhere. Ton of questions incoming.

I am not strong by any means. I can lift something like a box full of stuff if I need to but when it comes to doing reps, of course the burn kicks in. Not complaining but the real question is what should I be doing? Like even more basic than a routine. I see people spending time on the machines and I pretty much spend most of the time on them too, just wanted to know if that should be the case.

Because a quick glance at the OP or some other places they have a lot of emphasis on barbell stuff or dumbbell stuff. I am more curious, because I go to the gym alone, if I needed anyone to help me with that stuff; is that maybe why machines get used more often than not?

I have a good idea what my goals are and what muscle groups to target (though I try to remind myself to get everything done). I can handle dumbbells decently but never touched a barbell before or done bench presses. Should I be doing some more rudimentary stuff like squats, lunges without weights or put some more time on the machines before trying barbell stuff? (trying for strength gain mostly, gain some weight as well)

Today I'd like to say shoulder abductor I can do 20lbs but I get really tired trying to do sets of 10 reps, bicep curls (the preacher machine or whatever) I can do 30, 35+ easily (I think I'm cheating a bit though), chest press maybe 25, 30lbs. Not very impressive but I'd like to know if I should just stick with the machines for now (if there are any decent routines) as I don't think I feel very confident with barbells.

Noema

There's no "best rep range". It all depends on goals and experience of the trainee. As a general "axiom" of resistance training in general the more untrained someone is; i.e, the further away he's from his potential, the simpler the program he should follow. That's why stuff like SS is so simple, because that's all that's needed to drive adaptation. 3 heavy sets of 5 and the only variable we need to gradually change is weight.

I'd suggest that if you are a novice then you stick with something like SS for 3-5 months before you worry about rep ranges and bulking.

If you are interested in studying this type of things with some depth I suggest you read "Practical Programming for Strength Training" by Mark Rippetoe.

Hi Fitness-GAF!

So after 25 years I decided to finally get off my stupid butt and go to a gym. I've gone for a few hours, did some really light cardio on the treadmill (like 4-4.5mph) for 5-10 minutes then went at it for the machines a bit. Didn't really feel like I was getting anywhere. Ton of questions incoming.

I am not strong by any means. I can lift something like a box full of stuff if I need to but when it comes to doing reps, of course the burn kicks in. Not complaining but the real question is what should I be doing? Like even more basic than a routine. I see people spending time on the machines and I pretty much spend most of the time on them too, just wanted to know if that should be the case.

Because a quick glance at the OP or some other places they have a lot of emphasis on barbell stuff or dumbbell stuff. I am more curious, because I go to the gym alone, if I needed anyone to help me with that stuff; is that maybe why machines get used more often than not?

I have a good idea what my goals are and what muscle groups to target (though I try to remind myself to get everything done). I can handle dumbbells decently but never touched a barbell before or done bench presses. Should I be doing some more rudimentary stuff like squats, lunges without weights or put some more time on the machines before trying barbell stuff? (trying for strength gain mostly, gain some weight as well)

Today I'd like to say shoulder abductor I can do 20lbs but I get really tired trying to do sets of 10 reps, bicep curls (the preacher machine or whatever) I can do 30, 35+ easily (I think I'm cheating a bit though), chest press maybe 25, 30lbs. Not very impressive but I'd like to know if I should just stick with the machines for now (if there are any decent routines) as I don't think I feel very confident with barbells.

Do Starting Strength.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hi Fitness-GAF!

You're not going to get strong with isolation machines. You'll get some hypertrophy and some strength, because it's better than sitting on the computer by far, but isolation exercises came into popularity due to the steroid-fueled pro bodybuilding scene's need to target specific areas to precisely alter proportions (getting big is not a problem with any form of strength training when on steroids), and nautilus machines became popular from the fitness industry's desire to simplify and reduce liability so that people wouldn't be intimidated or need to learn anything in order to participate in strength training. Point them to the circuit and forget, instead of needing to teach anyone anything.

If you want to become strong, strong as in being able to pick up a couch or excel in sports, or any other real world application, you want to do barbell work, not machines. Professional athletes do powerlifting/olympic lifting and calisthenics to become strong. You'll also obviously develop your muscles and improve your aesthetics evenly without needing to have a huge checklist of every muscle group to hit or otherwise look weird.

Barbell movements can seem scary at first, but you will start out at very low weights while you develop your form, and there are only a few key exercises to perform: squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press. Squatting down and coming back up with heavy shit on your back, picking heavy shit up off the ground, lifting heavy shit over your head, and pushing heavy shit away from your body. Assistance with chinups, dips, bent-over rows, curls, etc. to your liking, but that's about it. Read Starting Strength or watch videos on youtube after you finish reading the entire OP of this thread.

You could keep doing what you're doing and barely see any results and get frustrated and quit and stay weak, or you could learn the barbell movements and be two or three times as strong six months from now and look a lot better naked. Anything's better than isolation work on machines. There's no point in going to the gym for it, honestly. You can do pullups, chinups, pushups, squat variations, etc. from home with $20 invested (door frame pullup bar) and come out well ahead of machine work.

Nelo Ice

Banned
The barbells at the gyms I've been going to go relatively unused compared to how many people are doing the machine circuit. Seems like the gym tries to push people toward using the machines, too.

Really glad I found this thread and the information in books like starting strength before getting started.

Yup same here, glad I finally started to push myself. Did P90x like twice but over the 3 years I had my 24 membership I never used it but renewed it to keep the rate($16/month).The OP alone has been massively useful and I've used it as reference and to help out my friends who are looking into working out. Also speaking of machines I go to 24, usually a super sport and they have a ridiculous amount of machines yet the only have 1 squat and power rack.

(._.)

Banned
You're not going to get strong with isolation machines. You'll get some hypertrophy and some strength, because it's better than sitting on the computer by far, but isolation exercises came into popularity due to the steroid-fueled pro bodybuilding scene's need to target specific areas to precisely alter proportions (getting big is not a problem with any form of strength training when on steroids), and nautilus machines became popular from the fitness industry's desire to simplify and reduce liability so that people wouldn't be intimidated or need to learn anything in order to participate in strength training. Point them to the circuit and forget, instead of needing to teach anyone anything.

If you want to become strong, strong as in being able to pick up a couch or excel in sports, or any other real world application, you want to do barbell work, not machines. Professional athletes do powerlifting/olympic lifting and calisthenics to become strong. You'll also obviously develop your muscles and improve your aesthetics evenly without needing to have a huge checklist of every muscle group to hit or otherwise look weird.

Barbell movements can seem scary at first, but you will start out at very low weights while you develop your form, and there are only a few key exercises to perform: squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press. Squatting down and coming back up with heavy shit on your back, picking heavy shit up off the ground, lifting heavy shit over your head, and pushing heavy shit away from your body. Assistance with chinups, dips, bent-over rows, curls, etc. to your liking, but that's about it. Read Starting Strength or watch videos on youtube after you finish reading the entire OP of this thread.

You could keep doing what you're doing and barely see any results and get frustrated and quit and stay weak, or you could learn the barbell movements and be two or three times as strong six months from now and look a lot better naked. Anything's better than isolation work on machines. There's no point in going to the gym for it, honestly. You can do pullups, chinups, pushups, squat variations, etc. from home with $20 invested (door frame pullup bar) and come out well ahead of machine work.
why exactly are circuit machines not as effective? Isn't all all relative? I mean, I know you have to keep your body guessing but if you keep pushing yourself with more weight over time isn't it still almost as effective?

ILoveBish

Good job man. I had the problem of wanting a spotter for a long time. But I purposely failed on barbell flat bench to show myself I can get to the bottom hooks and not hurt myself. After that I no longer want anyone spotting me ever again.

geetec

Neo Member
Hi Fitness-Gaf, I've been following the thread for a while now and I'm on Starting Strength which I've been doing for one and a half months now. That being said, I know some of you guys (if not, most) are natural when it comes to training so I wanted to know your take on steroids such as Winstrol, d-bol and primobolan.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hi Fitness-Gaf, I've been following the thread for a while now and I'm on Starting Strength which I've been doing for one and a half months now. That being said, I know some of you guys (if not, most) are natural when it comes to training so I wanted to know your take on steroids such as Winstrol, d-bol and primobolan

Even on hardcore steroid forums they'll tell you not to even consider touching the stuff unless you're at your natural genetic limit (which you are surely not after one and a half months of linear progression powerlifting) and preferably after 35-40 years old when your natural test levels are starting to decline on their own.

Steroids mess up your endogenous hormone production, meaning your body will produce less testosterone on its own after you cycle. The more you take them, the more damage you're doing to your HPTA and subsequently the more reliant you will be on steroids from that point on. Taking exogenous anabolics, of course, involves significant side-effects while you're on them as well depending on what you're taking: hair loss, gynecomastia, acne, hyper-aggressive tendencies, etc. There are also life-threatening long-term side effects for your heart, specifically the enlargement of the left ventricle, which is why steroid abusers like pro wrestlers tend to drop dead by 40 from heart attacks.

article linked above said:
Parsinnen reported the 12 year mortality to be 12.9% among 62 male powerlifters suspected of AAS use, compared to 3.1% in a control population.

What do you want out of life? If you just want to be strong and look good, and you're a healthy adult, you don't need or want steroids, period. Steroids are not a quick fix, they're a lifestyle change that tends to be permanent, since you will typically lose your gains within 6 months of cycling off. That's okay for Chris Hemsworth or Henry Cavill, bulking for a six week film shoot, but it doesn't make any sense for someone looking for a sustainable healthy lifestyle.

geetec

Neo Member
Even on hardcore steroid forums they'll tell you not to even consider touching the stuff unless you're at your natural genetic limit (which you are surely not after one and a half months of linear progression powerlifting) and preferably after 35-40 years old when your natural test levels are starting to decline on their own.

Steroids mess up your endogenous hormone production, meaning your body will produce less testosterone on its own after you cycle. The more you take them, the more damage you're doing to your HPTA and subsequently the more reliant you will be on steroids from that point on. Taking exogenous anabolics, of course, involves significant side-effects while you're on them as well depending on what you're taking: hair loss, gynecomastia, acne, hyper-aggressive tendencies, etc. There are also life-threatening long-term side effects for your heart, specifically the enlargement of the left ventricle, which is why steroid abusers like pro wrestlers tend to drop dead by 40 from heart attacks.

I appreciate your concern but I'm not considering taking steroids even at my peek, let's say 30-40 years down the line. It's just too dangerous in my opinion, especially for someone with risk of cardiovascular disease due to genes.

I just wanted to know what you guys think about it and if there's anybody here with first hand experience. I should have made this clear, my bad.

ToxicAdam

why exactly are circuit machines not as effective? Isn't all all relative? I mean, I know you have to keep your body guessing but if you keep pushing yourself with more weight over time isn't it still almost as effective?

Using free weights recruits more muscles in your lifts because they require more balance and coordination. Building those 'helper' muscles increases your overall strength and allows you to lift more in the long run.

Not to say machines are useless. They are a good way to allow someone to push weight if they are tired, rehabbing an injury or a novice that doesn't have the benefit of a knowledgable partner.

SeanR1221

Using free weights recruits more muscles in your lifts because they require more balance and coordination. Building those 'helper' muscles increases your overall strength and allows you to lift more in the long run.

Not to say machines are useless. They are a good way to allow someone to push weight if they are tired, rehabbing an injury or a novice that doesn't have the benefit of a knowledgable partner.

Yup pretty much this. No one is saying a machine is pointless or useless, it's just not nearly as effective as building strength like free weights are.

sphinx

the piano man

In many cases, machines can also provide good assistance to free weight based routines.

I think the main thing to point out here is that machines are bad if they substitute a free weight based routine, they aren't bad per se. Much worse are smith machines.

Jack_AG

Banned
I agree with the above. My only access to equipment is at my house. A bench with leg extension, preacher attachment and squat stand. No cables, unfortunately but I simply move a few ceiling tiles and do pull ups on floor joists. 300lb of weights, one barbell and two dumbbells. Free weights all day erry day.

I will say tho that some deload weeks I would love access to machines for ease of use but a deload week or perhaps lifting light with an injury is pretty much the only time id use a machine, personally.

Noema

Machines train muscles; barbell lifts train movements.

The human body works as a system. Muscles evolved to work in tandem with other muscles to perform movements, and the body likes to be trained this way. Barbell training provides the most ergonomic, anatomically correct way to express this range of movements EvilLore mentioned (squatting down and up; pressing something over the head; pushing something, lifting something up) in a way that is progressively loadable, with as little or as much weight as we desire, with increments as small as half a pound, for as long as we want and in a way that is adaptable to every possible individual anthropometry.

Strength, as a general adaptation, has much less to do with muscles and more with the body and the Central Nervous System systemically adapting to stress. When you squat, you don't do it to train your quadriceps, you do it to train pretty much every muscle in your body working in tandem to move the weight up; in other words, you are training the ability to squat. No machine will ever accomplish that, even machines that try to approximate the movements (like the leg press or the smith machine) . The leg press can replace a barbell squat as much as a refrigerator can replace my iPhone.

Machines are not useless; they are great for hypertrophy when used judiciously because they can isolate muscles in a way that'd be impossible with free weights. I mean, I love the Preacher Curl Machine at my Gym. Nothing gives me a biceps pump like that thing. But I don't think novices should be wasting time with them before they've spend at least one good year training with barbells.

Darren870

4 flat benches and 2 squat racks.

All benches are free but the two squat racks are occupied by benching and curing.

What the fuckkkkkkkkk

Edit: on another note last week I messed my breathing up when lifting and a huge headache followed mid set.

I'm still getting random headaches when lifting now, any thoughts on what this is?

Detox

I may not post much in here but I'd like to thank noema and everyone else making informative posts, as a novice you guys help me understand what I am doing and it helps a lot.

Had major problems at the gym today - we we're doing Fran (21-15-9 of thrusters and pull ups) and when I came to the second set of pull ups I had to give up after a while. I sweat so heavily that the calcium turned into muddle in my hands, a giant blister was forming and my grip strength was vaning. Ended up finishing my thrusters and calling that a day. Not the first time I've had problems with grip strength and sweating, think I will bring a towel for workouts going forward, but does anybody have any other tips? I've tried gloves and pads in the past, don't really like the extra layer of material between me and the bar. I also occasionally do a bit of core work hanging in a bar to help gain more grip strength.

And now to something completely different - I've been on IF since feb, not entirely clean though, people serve small meals for lunch and huge meals for dinner where I live, and a lot of my friends don't train so they'll snack and drink all the time. Also performing a musical and my first few sick days in years caused some problems. However once I've been on my summer vacation I want to start bulking all the way through winter, hopefully breaking the 90kg this time (was at 89.7 in jan). At times I've felt the diet affect my mood, but overall it has been a nice experience. I am undecided on whether to bulk on IF, but I haven't lost as much fat as I expected. Since I don't count calories but rather play it by ear, this could indicate I might have been a bit on the high side of my calorie intake, which in turn mean I might not have to add much to my daily intake, so IF bulking might not be that hard. Would be nice to have breakfast again though...
Anyway, before that happens here's my current status - really happy about my shoulders, development on my back and haven gotten wings - I find it adds a nice touch to my figure :)

7QlWRZb.jpg

edt: January shape for comparison

(._.)

Banned
Machines train muscles; barbell lifts train movements.

The human body works as a system. Muscles evolved to work in tandem with other muscles to perform movements, and the body likes to be trained this way. Barbell training provides the most ergonomic, anatomically correct way to express this range of movements EvilLore mentioned (squatting down and up; pressing something over the head; pushing something, lifting something up) in a way that is progressively loadable, with as little or as much weight as we desire, with increments as small as half a pound, for as long as we want and in a way that is adaptable to every possible individual anthropometry.

Strength, as a general adaptation, has much less to do with muscles and more with the body and the Central Nervous System systemically adapting to stress. When you squat, you don't do it to train your quadriceps, you do it to train pretty much every muscle in your body working in tandem to move the weight up; in other words, you are training the ability to squat. No machine will ever accomplish that, even machines that try to approximate the movements (like the leg press or the smith machine) . The leg press can replace a barbell squat as much as a refrigerator can replace my iPhone.

Machines are not useless; they are great for hypertrophy when used judiciously because they can isolate muscles in a way that'd be impossible with free weights. I mean, I love the Preacher Curl Machine at my Gym. Nothing gives me a biceps pump like that thing. But I don't think novices should be wasting time with them before they've spend at least one good year training with barbells.
Ah okay. This makes sense now, thanks.

ACE 1991

So the barbells at my new gym are super smooth and now my stiff legged deadlift is fucked up, I can lift 25 pounds less than normal. Any advice? It's bumming me out.

_Isaac

Man, my new gym is so messy. Everything was clean and organized at my college gym, but here all the weights are spread around the floor. I have to look around the weight room floor so I can find matching plates. Also nobody re-racks weights. So I frequently encounter barbells that are no longer being used that's full of 45 lb plates. I blame the gym though. There aren't really any good spots to rack the weights. I think I found one in some corner of the gym that was a little mini rack with only a little 15 lb plate on it. Very strange new place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom