• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
Place a pullup bar in your kitchen and do pullups while cooking swole food.

I've heard this advice before but I don't know can people do this safely, I mean casually jump, grab the bar and do a couple of reps, without any kind of warm-up. that's just asking for back injuries.

Petrie

Banned
Place a pullup bar in your kitchen and do pullups while cooking swole food.

Oh I have 2 pullup bars, but can't use them right now as my girl and I moved into her mom's house for the time being while she finds gainful employment.

I've heard this advice before but I don't know can people do this safely, I mean casually jump, grab the bar and do a couple of reps, without any kind of warm-up. that's just asking for back injuries.

A couple pullups is essentially a warm-up. Not sure what you mean.

despire

I can't even really warm-up on pull-ups since my RM on them is so low that warming up with full bodyweight stuff would tire me out too much.

Also I don't know how you can get your back injured from doing a couple of pull-ups.

sphinx

the piano man
A couple pullups is essentially a warm-up. Not sure what you mean.

well you are probably young enough to consider pullups themselves a warm-up but I have to stretch and do some light cardio before I can start lifting/pulling/pushing anything, otherwise my body complains or refuses to cooperate.

Petrie

Banned
well you are probably young enough to consider pullups themselves a warm-up but I have to stretch and do some light cardio before I can start lifting/pulling/pushing anything, otherwise my body complains or refuses to cooperate.

I think for those training for more than a few months, a couple pullups cold shouldn't be an issue.

But you know your own body so.

sphinx

the piano man
I think for those training for more than a few months, a couple pullups cold shouldn't be an issue.

But you know your own body so.

If we are talking unassisted, then I think the move is way harder than your post implies.

There are plenty of guys who have been training for far more than a year and would love to do more than 2 or 3, warm or otherwise. So for them the thought of warming up doing a couple of those must be absurd.

Everybody is different and is working towards different goals, I guess.

Petrie

Banned
If we are talking unassisted, then I think the move is way harder than your post implies.

There are plenty of guys who have been training for far more than a year and would love to do more than 2 or 3, warm or otherwise. So for them the thought of warming up doing a couple of those must be absurd.

Everybody is different and is working towards different goals, I guess.

I can't agree. If you've been training pullups for more than a year, 2-3 should be easy enough.

Not trying to offend anyone, but someone fit should be able to train that movement in less time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone is different. My brother can pop out pull-ups with ease with far less training than I can, but I really have to work at it to be successful. Just doesn't jive with me as easily.

To be fair though I haven't been training pullups for more than a year.

Petrie

Banned
Everyone is different. My brother can pop out pull-ups with ease with far less training than I can, but I really have to work at it to be successful. Just doesn't jive with me as easily.

To be fair though I haven't been training pullups for more than a year.

Yeah I'm saying this if you've specifically been training pullups, not just doing them occasionally.

Yeah, I went ahead and did that, going on a 1.6k daily calorie intake, 25g carbs, 120g of protein, and 115g of fat.
That's on a 25% deficit, but it's just mostly because I want to see if it's actually working, I'll go back to a 20% calorie deficit after two weeks if results are showing.

Am I going to low with the protein?
The calculator suggests 90g, but that seems awfully low.

What I'm having today food-wise thanks to this:

Breakfast - 6 boiled eggs
Pre-workout - Creatine+BCAA (I assume these are 0 calories, but even if they're not it's a matter of 7.5g total)
Post-Workout - Protein shake (150ml of skimmed milk, 40g of 82% whey)
Lunch/snack - Peanuts
Dinner - Omelet with bell peppers and broccoli, and some whipped cream for dessert.

Boring as heck, but I guess that's the cost of being a vegetarian. :p

This doesn't seem like a lot. If you can add in fish than do so. Not sure if vegans can eat fish. If not than add in come cottage cheese non/low fat. Add in a lunch thats high in protein and have the peanuts for a later snack.

If you are still hungry during the day just load up on veggies. I've been snacking on celery , carrots or seaweed. Very low in calories.

andycapps

I'm stoked because I can do 4 pullups in a row now. Was one of the biggest things for me since I couldn't do them unassisted for quite some time.

Anyway it's almost been a week on Lyle's RFLD and it's going smoothly. Already down one notch (the last one) in my weight lifting belt and I need to take it to a leatherworker to get some more holes drilled to it. Been eating around 1150kcal a day and lifted yesterday with not strength loss (I think, I got less reps on bench but I upped the weight so dunno..). Also had my first refeed yesterday, with ~415g of carbs of top of my usual foods. So a bunch of rice and 6 pretzels of 26g carbs each :)

It's not easy but it will pay off if you can stick with it for 5 weeks (assuming you're a Cat 2). Keep those refeeds clean and don't be discouraged if you plateau for a few days or even a week at a time. I did it for 5.5 weeks back in May and I lost 17 lbs with little strength loss to speak of (like going from sets of 8 to 8-7-6 for bench and squat). Good luck! It's definitely the way to go if you already know how to eat properly and are just impatient about fat loss.

Oh and the glucose tabs immediately pre-workout helped me, you should give them a try if you aren't already.

ToxicAdam

I've never had problems with pullups, except that I have plataued on them. Within a month of getting back into working out, I was doing three sets @ 10,10, 8. But haven't really been able to progress since then. My forearms and grip strength gasses before my back muscles do.

Experienced my 1st gym annoyance today, dude doing OHP In the squat rack, I ended up doing squats with two 14kg kettlebells coz I didn't feel like waiting

I guess I never get annoyed if someone is using equipment properly.

I'm unique?

no no, not in that way.

Like you come in the gym and are all ready to do some squats. Hyped!

But then the racks are all in use and you have to wait.

So I'm "annoyed" that I have to wait to use the racks. Nothing serious, just wish there was a rack free lol.

I've never had problems with pullups, except that I have plataued on them. Within a month of getting back into working out, I was doing three sets @ 10,10, 8. But haven't really been able to progress since then. My forearms and grip strength gasses before my back muscles do.

Not sure if this works for everyone. But for me I started getting past a pullup plateau by offsetting my hands to increase difficulty. You can tie something like a towel around the bar and put your lower hand on that, makes the higher up hand do more of the work per rep.

Also if grip strength is the issue I actually have these bad boys hanging from my office door frame. I've had them for two years now and I do a quick set of 10 every time I enter the office. I noticed a real grip increase with them, especially in the first few months.

1381-DEFAULT-m.jpg

Forever

Banned
Hey guys I have a question. I work out mostly for my mental health and I've found that body weight exercises suit me well. I do about 6 sets of 7 reps of pullups and chinups once or twice a week and that keeps me sharp enough.

However I've been having some trouble sleeping and I've noticed that part of it seems to be my restless lower body. I was wondering if there was any equipment that offered the ease and convenience of an Iron Gym; I've never really been a fan of squats or lunges and I don't want to have to leave the house if I can help it. Any ideas?

Imm0rt4l

no no, not in that way.

So I'm "annoyed" that I have to wait to use the racks. Nothing serious, just wish there was a rack free lol.

Yea, I'm the same way. Happened to me yesterday, so I just did some LISS cardio on an elliptical and waited my turn. I'm not about to pre-exhaust my legs with some other exercise before doing squats, fuck that noise.

39043004.jpg

Man, I don't ever see anyone actually squat in the squat rack.
I've seen people load up bars on the floor, and then just hoist them up and proceed with squats.

Hey, I don't mind, more squat racks for me!

This doesn't seem like a lot. If you can add in fish than do so. Not sure if vegans can eat fish. If not than add in come cottage cheese non/low fat. Add in a lunch thats high in protein and have the peanuts for a later snack.

If you are still hungry during the day just load up on veggies. I've been snacking on celery , carrots or seaweed. Very low in calories.

It's not a lot because peanuts are quite calorie dense, might have to cut down on them, but they are oh so filling and provides me with healthy fats as well as a neat amount of protein (which means I don't have to eat as much eggs/protein powder).
Def. going to eat cottage cheese, I can't believe I don't have some at home atm, been looking forward to that whey+cotton cheese desert.

no no, not in that way.

This right here, I was thirstin to lift

Matugi

So now that I'm back on my bulk, yesterday I indulged in the pretzel bacon cheeseburger from Wendy's, and I have to say it was AMAZING. I think it's got a decent enough macronutrient profile (~800 calories, 40g of fat, 40g of protein, 60g of carbs) so I'm fully expecting to crush it in the gym tonight.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dear Deadlifts,

Why are you so good? I love you.

- FallingEdge

I love Deadlifts, but since I have that build where I have short arms, long legs, and a long torso, I have to put blocks underneath the plates.

Even then, though, I still feel like it's not high enough for me to have the best form and any more blocks I put will just make the Deadlift a rack pull for the traps, lol.

Has anyone had a few people follow you to the gym room to keep admiring your form? Today was kind of weird. I'm not even that cut or big... in fact I've been dirty bulking lately. I know I wasn't imagining things because I am hyper aware of when people are looking at me.

I guess the thread in OT and today's events made me think about it. How do you feel when someone is checking you out at the gym?

Has anyone had a few people follow you to the gym room to keep admiring your form? Today was kind of weird. I'm not even that cut or big... in fact I've been dirty bulking lately. I know I wasn't imagining things because I am hyper aware of when people are looking at me.

I guess the thread in OT and today's events made me think about it. How do you feel when someone is checking you out at the gym?

Had a cute chick checking me out at the gym today, smiling with big eyes. Maybe I look funny when performing the excercises....

Shame I dont know how to deadlift

Dont wanna ruin my back

practice at low weights and go from there.

I love Deadlifts, but since I have that build where I have short arms, long legs, and a long torso, I have to put blocks underneath the plates.

Even then, though, I still feel like it's not high enough for me to have the best form and any more blocks I put will just make the Deadlift a rack pull for the traps, lol.

Deadlift is by far my weakest lift but I'm making it a priority for the rest of the year. I really want to get 500 lbs. Pretty sure my max is around 425 right now. Dunno how hard it will be to put on another 75 lbs by Jan 2014. Prolly impossible rofl.

I don't know about people following me to admire my form but I seen people look at me. I like it. I ain't that big but whatever. I'm one of the few to actually deadlift/squat/ohp at my gym.

I love it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
so Salsa you're not doing an actual program? Can you list all exercises you are doing?

this!

That being said, I still believe that a total beginner should be doing some sort of full body compound based routine.

Im doing that. Just that I have abs day here and there, the other times I'm training everything. Already noticing changes in my body, so I'm doing something right so far

You'll notice improvements on most program in the beginning, but unless you keep to a regular schedule and track your weights, you might hit a wall.

Sure, get yourself comfortable with all the various lifts, but you should settle into a routine and that routine should not include doing everything in one day.

jacobs34

Hey guys. I'm looking for a new lifting routine, I've plateaued both in weight loss and muscle gain with SS after a little over a year of lifting. Here are some of my stats.

Weight: 210 (down from 265 in January 2012.)

1 Rep Max.
Bench: 305
Squat: 415
Deadlift: 405
OHP: 165

I also do some light to intermediate cardio 3-4 times a week. I oscillate between running hills, walking, stationary bike, jump rope depending on what I'm feeling that day.

I guess what I want most out of the next six months is to get down to 190 while maintaing as much muscle mass as possible. I've been thinking about starting 5/3/1 and was wondering if there is any complimentary workouts that will help with weight loss. I'm open to any advice though.

My goal is gaining muscle, hoping to get the max gain of 10 KGs the first year. Going to the gym 5 times a week

If I read it correctly, I can do what I'm doing now to gain that the first year. After that, I need to get a routine? Or do I already need a routine?

There are far too many machines and excercises to remember it all, I just can't be bothered. Once I get a PT, I'll make him set a routine for my goal

Had a cute chick checking me out at the gym today, smiling with big eyes. Maybe I look funny when performing the excercises....

I don't know about people following me to admire my form but I seen people look at me. I like it. I ain't that big but whatever. I'm one of the few to actually deadlift/squat/ohp at my gym.

I love it.

It's just weird for me. I don't know how to react to it yet. I've been seriously lifting for nearly a year now and it just seems out of no where I'm getting attention. Haven't truly decided how I feel about it yet.

despire

Taught my sister the big lifts today as she's never done anything like them before. Things went well and she was a fast learner. Got her squat form down pretty well for a first timer also even though it looked pretty bad at first. Also some minor issues with bar going around the knees while deadlifting but nothing major. Told her to practice her squat form with the Rip's squat stretch. Might teach her more later when we have more time but at least she knows the basics of the lifts, programming and nutrition now.

Gave the the basic SS program 2x week style:

Tuesday
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Friday
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Interested to see if she will get serious enough to make good progress with the program.

It's not easy but it will pay off if you can stick with it for 5 weeks (assuming you're a Cat 2). Keep those refeeds clean and don't be discouraged if you plateau for a few days or even a week at a time. I did it for 5.5 weeks back in May and I lost 17 lbs with little strength loss to speak of (like going from sets of 8 to 8-7-6 for bench and squat). Good luck! It's definitely the way to go if you already know how to eat properly and are just impatient about fat loss.

Oh and the glucose tabs immediately pre-workout helped me, you should give them a try if you aren't already.

Yeah I did it for two weeks last fall and it was pretty great. Lost 3lbs in a week with not strength loss. Planning on going at least 2-3 weeks this time, maybe even a bit longer if things go well.

Got those glucose pills as well from last fall though I need to buy more soon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not saying by "yes read the OP" means you should do SS. I was under the impression Lovely Salsa was doing SS then he threw me for a loop.

I still feel the OP is must-read status, regardless of your program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom