• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Glad someone is taking advantage. As an obsessive SD and CAG user I try to bring the deals as quick as I see them!

I used to check CAG and on occasion SD but ever since I got on GAF, it's only forum I check regularly unless I'm looking for a specific deal then of course I head over to either SD or CAG. Also just ordered a batch, from what I've read $32 is pretty good price. Now I just need to get a mixer and food processor and some other things so I can start making some of those delicious treats from dhftns among any other protein based recipes with vanilla flavored protein powder.

Petrie

Banned
I used to check CAG and on occasion SD but ever since I got on GAF, it's only forum I check regularly unless I'm looking for a specific deal then of course I head over to either SD or CAG. Also just ordered a batch, from what I've read $32 is pretty good price. Now I just need to get a mixer and food processor and some other things so I can start making some of those delicious treats from dhftns among any other protein based recipes with vanilla flavored protein powder.

I kinda work in the reverse, I know the things I want, and will wait patiently for a deal to pop up, rather than needing something and only then checking.

No worries though, I consider this my role here on FitGaf and try to do it as much as possible, hence the Quest Bar GAF that has emerged.

Very true. I'm at 200 lbs. and stalled hard at 180x5. I'm talking weeks. So I ate like a savage the last two weeks and was able to hit 185x8 twice on Thursday. It felt good. Damn good.

Edit: what are some good fitness watches? Anyone use one? Both for runners and for lifters, if possible. Open to all suggestions though.

I have the Suunto t6d fitness watch and love it.

In my experience and that of my friends, novices begin stalling on bench when they start nearing 80%-90% of their own bodyweight, but that's my experience, there is no rule to that.

Hrm, really? That would explain a lot. I weigh around ~132lbs and have been stuck on 135lbs on bench press for a couple of weeks. Some days I actually regress. Guess all a part of growing pains.

sphinx

the piano man
I have the Suunto t6d fitness watch and love it.

Hrm, really? That would explain a lot. I weigh around ~132lbs and have been stuck on 135lbs on bench press for a couple of weeks. Some days I actually regress. Guess all a part of growing pains.

that's good! you are above your BW.

Yeah some days I can't hit my current PR either, it just happens, bad sleep is my first reason, after that, bad food and the third reason, no spotter :p

Mark1

Is the Starting Strength book good mainly for understanding the form of the exercises. I'm baffled how there's 200 pages to describe an exercise. I've read a good amount of the wiki online, good stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Starting Strength book good mainly for understanding the form of the exercises. I'm baffled how there's 200 pages to describe an exercise. I've read a good amount of the wiki online, good stuff.

It's extremely thorough, so yes, it's good if you are well versed in anatomy terms. Honestly, there were quite a few sections that I found difficult to comprehend completely. I found videos on YouTube to be a much bigger help in learning how to do an exercise. I still probably have poor form, though, so maybe don't listen to me. Regardless, Starting Strength is worth a read.

Imm0rt4l

I can't wait to start bulking. Pretty sure I have high insulin sensitivity, which explains why I have to be pretty much ketogenic to lose weight.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
thought this was funny, for any GoT fans

hiOZplO.jpg

That's amazing. Do want.

OG Kush

Yeah I want to get off this BB routine Ive been doing and start SS but I don't want to read 200 bloody pages just to start a strength training program.
Someone give me some links to some cliffnotes or something please!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I want to get off this BB routine Ive been doing and start SS but I don't want to read 200 bloody pages just to start a strength training program.
Someone give me some links to some cliffnotes or something please!

The program is simple as piss and is in the OP of this thread. The reason the book is hundreds of pages long is because squatting, overhead pressing, benching, cleaning and deadlifting are complex movements that require a fair bit of understanding and practice to perform correctly. The book isn't by any means essential (though it's a great resource) but if you're going to do a program like that you need to learn the movements from somewhere, because if you don't you're either going to end up spinning your wheels or worse, injuring yourself.

Noema

You need 200 pages to explain them because they are complex exercises.

SeanR1221

Oh good news about my back, fitbros!

Went for a massage today and the Russian woman focused on my lower back for about 40 minutes. She was telling me how it felt extremely knotted. She moved on to the calves and I felt a lot of pain. So she thinks its sciatica. She went right for my spine next and it felt fine.

I'd be happier with sciatica over a bulging disc.

Kawl_USC

Any one here do any cardio/walking with a weighted vest?

Bought me a 60 lb one and been using it some this summer. So far I'm really digging it. Prefer it to jogging by a pretty great deal. Did between 5 and 6 miles today over about 2 hours. Any one have an idea on how many estimated calories that would burn?

Also on the quest front, stopped by a vitamin shoppe to get some fish oil and picked up a PB supreme bar, a thing of peanut butter cups, and a box of Cinnamon roll. PB supreme was quite tasty and Cinnamon Roll is god tier. Peanut butter cups were really dry and honestly tasted too much like protein for me to use them as a sweet snack replacement, so I think I'll just stick with the bars for now.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Haha. At a pool party with my dad's girl friends family. I'm sitting in the spa relaxing. All of the sudden, "hey Matt, what do you bench?" lol. Never fails.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just discovered CT Fletcher. This guy is fucking awesome.

Haha. At a pool party with my dad's girl friends family. I'm sitting in the spa relaxing. All of the sudden, "hey Matt, what do you bench?" lol. Never fails.

I bet that's awesome at first, but probably gets tiring after a while.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just funny. Once I would love to hear, hey, what do you OHP!

Seriously, that's a number I'd be much more interested in.

I wonder why the bench press became the default exercise for people when they think of the gym and weight lifting.

SeanR1221

Seriously, that's a number I'd be much more interested in.

I wonder why the bench press became the default exercise for people when they think of the gym and weight lifting.

Because the only compound the vast majority of people do is bench :/

Also, it's always Monday or Tuesday.

rando14

Went for a massage today and the Russian woman focused on my lower back for about 40 minutes. She was telling me how it felt extremely knotted. She moved on to the calves and I felt a lot of pain. So she thinks its sciatica. She went right for my spine next and it felt fine.

I'm glad to hear that! What's the next step now? chiropractor?

_Isaac

How long was the whole ordeal? (the massage)

Imm0rt4l

What does it mean if the opposite is true? Highly restricting my carbs results in little to no weight loss.

I have no idea, that is weird. Though I do know a lot of times people have to up their carbs for a short period to 'jump start' fat loss, it's actually not uncommon. Having resistance to insulin shouldn't really have that sort of effect though, I don't think. I'm pretty sure that there are some studies that indicate that carbohydrates elicit a thermogenic response which would undoubtedly make some difference.

I bet that's awesome at first, but probably gets tiring after a while.

Haven't been asked about my bench for a long time but it's kind of annoying that people usually assume that your life centers around going to the gym if you have a bit more muscle. A while ago I was on a business dinner with some foreign colleagues and even though I was wearing a business shirt one guy asked me if I was going to attend "some bodybuilding camp" on my summer holiday when we talked about our holiday plans. Earlier this week one colleague also asked if I was going to work out twice a day once my holiday begins... One dude also sometimes starts walking with imaginary lats if he's walking towards me in a hallway....

sphinx

the piano man
Because the only compound the vast majority of people do is bench :/

It's truly mindblowing the bench press <-> squat ratio in my gym. it must be like 15 to 1

Every day, I go to the free weight area, All 4 BP banks are full with two guys talking turns to spot each other, that makes 8 guys benching. We have ONE squat rack in my gym and most of the time I go casually there and it's free...

I watch everyone benching and think, "these guys haven't tried a squat in their lives, not even once"

Haven't been asked about my bench for a long time but it's kind of annoying that people usually assume that your life centers around going to the gym if you have a bit more muscle. A while ago I was on a business dinner with some foreign colleagues and even though I was wearing a business shirt one guy asked me if I was going to attend "some bodybuilding camp" on my summer holiday when we talked about our holiday plans. Earlier this week one colleague also asked if I was going to work out twice a day once my holiday begins... One dude also sometimes starts walking with imaginary lats if he's walking towards me in a hallway....

this could almost qualify as muscle shaming, there's probably no ill-intent when they do or say those things, but it's rude if it comes from people you barely know.

it's like a girl dances ballet as a hobby and her job collegues approach her doing some moronic ballet stance or someone telling her " hey, just don't go killing yourself like the black swan, o.k? hihihi, hahaha"

I personally think people are jealous, not of your muscles, cause many people don't want a body like that, but of your commitment and passion for something.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

Next time someone says something like that to you, offer to fight them.

SeanR1221

How long was the whole ordeal? (the massage)

Hour long. I'm sore as shit right now, which is usually the case the day after a massage.

I have no idea, that is weird. Though I do know a lot of times people have to up their carbs for a short period to 'jump start' fat loss, it's actually not uncommon. Having resistance to insulin shouldn't really have that sort of effect though, I don't think. I'm pretty sure that there are some studies that indicate that carbohydrates elicit a thermogenic response which would undoubtedly make some difference.

Well, I'm low carb in the sense that I rarely go over 150g. Like even yesterday I got chipotle and I was still at 128. But when my wife and I tried less than 25g of carbs a little while ago we had really poor results. I think I lost 1 pound in a month, whereas I've lost 5 in a month eating like this.

---

In my mind, the only acceptable bench press statement is from Jingle All The Way when Phil Hartman says to Arnold "You cant bench press your way out of this one!"

Madness

It's truly mindblowing the bench press <-> squat ratio in my gym. it must be like 15 to 1

Every day, I go to the free weight area, All 4 BP banks are full with two guys talking turns to spot each other, that makes 8 guys benching. We have ONE squat rack in my gym and most of the time I go casually there and it's free...

I watch everyone benching and think, "these guys haven't tried a squat in their lives, not even once"

That's the best though. Frees up the racks for the rest of us. It's that way at my gym too, flat bench and incline bench always full, decline bench maybe 1 person every few weeks, squat racks, shrug stand, always empty. The only time they're ever used other than me or a few guys, is some guy doing curls or upright rows.

Petrie

Banned
Ate like shit all weekend, as has become the trend towards this end of cut/Summer in full swing time of year. Ends up with me closer to maintenance for the overall week, but whatever, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Need to find the motivation to get to the gym for back day this Sunday morning, I'm house-sitting at my parents and would rather lay about, grill deliciousness, enjoy the pool and hot tub, and not lift. Help me FitGAF, you're my only hope!

jimbor

Banned
Ate like shit all weekend, as has become the trend towards this end of cut/Summer in full swing time of year. Ends up with me closer to maintenance for the overall week, but whatever, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Need to find the motivation to get to the gym for back day this Sunday morning, I'm house-sitting at my parents and would rather lay about, grill deliciousness, enjoy the pool and hot tub, and not lift. Help me FitGAF, you're my only hope!

Do it lest ye become a fat acceptance advocate.

velociraptor

Ask a trainer in your gym to help you with those reps while benching, it's the only way to be safe.

about the weight, you should try to add weight every session.

In my experience and that of my friends, novices begin stalling on bench when they start nearing 80%-90% of their own bodyweight, but that's my experience, there is no rule to that.
I've stalled at my bodyweight. I guess deloading is the only option here?

Zoe

Any one here do any cardio/walking with a weighted vest?

Bought me a 60 lb one and been using it some this summer. So far I'm really digging it. Prefer it to jogging by a pretty great deal. Did between 5 and 6 miles today over about 2 hours. Any one have an idea on how many estimated calories that would burn?

Since you're not doing plain walking, that's hard to say. Best bet is to periodically measure your heart rate across your walk to get an average and then plug it into a calories burned calculator.

SeanR1221

Get in there or I'm gonna have to drive down and make you go and then I'll be in the hot tub

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
And confirm their prejudice? :p
Hey, if Rabbitweed is as thoroughly diesel as the co-workers' harassment suggests, they'll probably never say something like that again. In a world of muscle shaming and fat acceptance, where else can one turn?
Yes, thatwasthejoke.jpg :)

I tried A2G it in today's squat, but it was tricky to do without slightly swaying forward as I was about to push up.
Gonna record myself next time, so you guys can tell me how much I was doing wrong.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Noema

For anyone who has purchased the 5/3/1 ebook, is it a PDF or an actual ebook (ePub, mobi, etc)?

I'm wondering how readable it is on a Kindle. PDFs in general don't look that great, don't have adjustable text size, etc.

Buy the Kindle version from amazon, it's an actual ebook and it works great.

EDIT: I replied a second too late :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom