• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Boogie

As a lurker of this thread, but not a participant, I say who cares if you're on juice? You're not a competitive athlete, you're not getting kicked out of your sport.

But be up front about it. Don't bullshit about being clean, and dip and dodge around it, and misrepresent what contributed to your "success." That's just pathetic.

Two Words

Whenever I speed up lifting my heart rate jumps so I'm gonna start swimming when I go seaside in a month and can't wait to start doing all sorts of cardio when I cut in the fall, probably gonna keep at it forever just do liss instead of hiit which i do when cutting.

Or someone might not want to admit to using because besides some, they're usually illegal sooo yeah, not smartest idea to brag about that. Plus literally 99% pro athletes using them, shitton of actors etc who gives a fuck and why does it matter to you so much. They help you get to certain point faster and push you over the natty limit which for most people still looks like DYEL, and even with them genetics play huge part with all the insertions, shapes etc
How are you identifying that I care so much? I'm just pointing out that he's flip-flopping. Either way, I don't buy the "everybody does it so it is okay" argument.

mdsfx

As a lurker of this thread, but not a participant, I say who cares if you're on juice? You're not a competitive athlete, you're not getting kicked out of your sport.

But be up front about it. Don't bullshit about being clean, and dip and dodge around it, and misrepresent what contributed to your "success." That's just pathetic.

I totally agree with this right here.

172? No kidding, never would have guessed. Anytime I've went over 160 I felt sluggish and bloated. Thank you for the tips. I guess it comes down to eating and lifting more.
172 is an estimate, and a very muscular and long-term (2 yrs. minimum) one, but yes to put on muscle you have to eat and lift. Make sure you're squatting. Making the big muscles grow makes the rest of your muscles more willing to grow as well.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with the way you look right now, especially the parts you circled. You are definitely under 12% body fat, which most people would consider pretty ripped. And at your weight, dropping from 12 to 9% body fat is seriously only about five pounds. So getting "more shredded" is kind of a nebulous goal. That's why I think it's better to put on some muscle rather than chasing some body fat goal when you already have so little.

Arken2121

172 is an estimate, and a very muscular and long-term (2 yrs. minimum) one, but yes to put on muscle you have to eat and lift. Make sure you're squatting. Making the big muscles grow makes the rest of your muscles more willing to grow as well.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with the way you look right now, especially the parts you circled. You are definitely under 12% body fat, which most people would consider pretty ripped. And at your weight, dropping from 12 to 9% body fat is seriously only about five pounds. So getting "more shredded" is kind of a nebulous goal. That's why I think it's better to put on some muscle rather than chasing some body fat goal when you already have so little.

I completely understand what you're getting at. Thank you again for tips.

Edit: Definitely need to work on my squats more, could easily do more than 315 if I focused

demented

Chamba, Edge, Faith and everyone else who doesn't care about steroid use:

Use your damned heads.

This is a community thread. Not FitChamba or FallingGAF.

LYING and misleading like Faith is doing is damaging to the COMMUNITY, which you are a part of.

You're not just here for you, you're here for everyone. To help, inform, etc.

Not giving a fuck how it affects you is fine but you all SHOULD give a fuck about the precedent it sets.

Faith. I told you before I had nothing to say before you kept lying.

That's what drove me over.

For the rest. Recognize it can affect others even if it doesn't make a dent on you. Be part of the community and think about others, not just yourself. You'll be better people for it.
Do you write letters to magazines complaining about models they use which are always on steroids? Or movie studios because actors use them for roles? Or whole fitness industry for that matter.
You're singling out such a small thing out of bigger "problem". Most of the "big" guys you see are using PEDs in all forms of media and entertainment.

How are you identifying that I care so much? I'm just pointing out that he's flip-flopping. Either way, I don't buy the "everybody does it so it is okay" argument.

I didn't mean you, the guy I quoted above who seems too angry, maybe he's got some roid rage.

So...I guess you can't really build more muscle without putting on more fat?

Anyways, I'm 5'10", 165 lbs, and somewhere between 20 - 25% body fat (just a guess). Started at 130 lbs in January. I bulked too hard...again.

I hate being this giggly. If you were me, would you gut it out and bulk for another month (which makes 6 months of consistent bulking), or start cutting now?

demented

So...I guess you can't really build more muscle without putting on more fat?

Anyways, I'm 5'10", 165 lbs, and somewhere between 20 - 25% body fat (just a guess). Started at 130 lbs in January. I bulked too hard...again.

I hate being this giggly. If you were me, would you gut it out and bulk for another month (which makes 6 months of consistent bulking), or start cutting now?

Cut bro, and don't do dreamer's bulks like that lol, that's way too much weight gained and most is fat. Gotta count the calories and macros and try lean bulk, that way you'll pack on least fat. Weight yourself consistently, track food, eat clean and lift hard and all's well. But now, I recommend cutting, you're likely to lose what little you gained because you packed too much fat but use that as a lesson. Also don't do an extreme cut now to counter that, go steady 10% deficit or maybe bit more, keep your protein high and lift.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Do you write letters to magazines complaining about models they use which are always on steroids? Or movie studios because actors use them for roles? Or whole fitness industry for that matter.
You're singling out such a small thing out of bigger "problem". Most of the "big" guys you see are using PEDs in all forms of media and entertainment.

I didn't mean you, the guy I quoted above who seems too angry, maybe he's got some roid rage.
I think his problem is posting 1 year progress pics which seem nearly impossible naturally and claiming no PEDs were used. Gives newcomers unrealistic expectations about just how difficult and long it takes to achieve the body they desire.

BumRush

I think his problem is posting 1 year progress pics which seem nearly impossible naturally and claiming no PEDs were used. Gives newcomers unrealistic expectations about just how difficult and long it takes to achieve the body they desire.

THIS is EXACTLY the point.

Cut bro, and don't do dreamer's bulks like that lol, that's way too much weight gained and most is fat. Gotta count the calories and macros and try lean bulk, that way you'll pack on least fat. Weight yourself consistently, track food, eat clean and lift hard and all's well. But now, I recommend cutting, you're likely to lose what little you gained because you packed too much fat but use that as a lesson. Also don't do an extreme cut now to counter that, go steady 10% deficit or maybe bit more, keep your protein high and lift.

Fuck seriously?

That shit happened last year, but I think that's because I stopped lifting completely and dropped like 40 lbs in 3 months lol (went from 170 down to 130). I was eating like 3000 calories last year because everyone was telling me to just stuff my face due to me being so skinny. Then I got fat. So this go around I did like 2500, and still got fat. Wtf....

I got like 5 months worth of strength gains from last year back in like 1.5 - 2 months this year though.

The thing is everytime my lifts stall I'll eat a bit more and they go up. Then I'm like "shit I'm getting fat" so I cut back a little and my lifts stall again.

demented

I understand that very well, when I was beginner years ago and didn't know shit I faced same problems and only got serious about lifting this year after consistency issues for past few, but in time I learned all the ins and outs and I'm fine with them. Also he shouldn't be attacked for posting that pic, I mean you can point out that he might not be natty but some posts annoyed the shit out of me, mostly about cheating, fraud, effort put in etc. I don't think it should be his job to make a "safe space" for people that don't research enough or have unrealistic expectations.
It's ok to point out if you think he's using but that was the least of what I have issues with. I don't want to sound like steroid advocate or defender especially since I'm not using them and likely won't but have no problems with people that do. Kept reediting my opinion on gear but it's irrelevant I just got annoyed and ranty which I try not to do on neogaf.

Fuck seriously?

That shit happened last year, but I think that's because I stopped lifting completely and dropped like 40 lbs in 3 months lol (went from 170 down to 130). I was eating like 3000 calories last year because everyone was telling me to just stuff my face due to me being so skinny. Then I got fat. So this go around I did like 2500, and still got fat. Wtf....

I got like 5 months worth of strength gains from last year back in like 1.5 - 2 months this year though.

The thing is everytime my lifts stall I'll eat a bit more and they go up. Then I'm like "shit I'm getting fat" so I cut back a little and my lifts stall again.
Yeah strength gains are great when you eat a lot, I'm also focusing on strength atm but trying not to pack on much fat and progress is noticeably slower compared to when I ate more before.
Find a TDEE calculator, based on your height and weight add ~300 calories or 10-15% and eat that for a month. If you gained more than 1kg/2lbs reduce by 50-100. Longer you train less muscle you can get per month but for a beginner it's possible to get 1 kg a month with newbie gains but that doubles down with time and faster than you think. And if you stall just deload and try again, but then you also gotta decide if you want to keep getting strength gains at expense of getting fatter or slower progress but focus on the aesthetics.

mdsfx

Fuck seriously?

Don't freak out. This just happened to me. I "bulked" (go ahead, Pyscho, GO AHEAD!) from 152-173 or so, and although I gained some strength for a while on all of my lifts, i seem to have lost everything after my cut. I'm now 155 and only slightly stronger than before. It wasn't even that dirty of a bulk, but i think i increased calories too much. Next time I will try doing it much more slowly/carefully.

bchamba

I agree about being upfront with steroid use especially for beginners or lurkers that may not be able to tell what is and isn't realistic to achieve naturally. It also shouldn't be hard for users to be upfront about it since nearly all of us aren't making money off of our strength or physique and we're not going to get arrested for admitting to steroid use on a forum. That said, I won't vilify those who use. If tomorrow Pete Rubish started posting deadlift tips I would eat them up and pick his brain for any information he can give out and the last thing on my mind would be bringing up how much he uses.

BumRush

I agree about being upfront with steroid use especially for beginners or lurkers that may not be able to tell what is and isn't realistic to achieve naturally. It also shouldn't be hard for users to be upfront about it since nearly all of us aren't making money off of our strength or physique and we're not going to get arrested for admitting to steroid use on a forum. That said, I won't vilify those who use. If tomorrow Pete Rubish started posting deadlift tips I would eat them up and pick his brain for any information he can give out and the last thing on my mind would be bringing up how much he uses.

Yeah, well said as well. Like demented said, it's fine to question how natural it was achieved but there were definitely some personal attacks in here and that went too far. I'm glad it's died down though and we can get back to the grind.

p.s. I just saw your shin pics. LOL. dude, is it always that bad for you?

demented

I scraped mine few times and got little blood out :( gotta wear long socks or pants but if it starts hurting or bleeding it's not good for either, scraping/dragging along is fine but pain nono

You want to know what my stance was? Read my first reply to Faith's pics.

Then keep reading and see how the more he lied the more pissed I became.

Then read how I repeatedly said it can give newcomers a false sense of what is vs what isn't possible. It can turn people off when they are doing well but feel they are failing.

Then read how I actually had a friend who died from use because he kept denying it and ignoring help.

Roid rage?

How about I give a fuck about people? How about I actually give more than two fucks about people in here who I've never met but would go to bat for in a heartbeat based SOLELY on their interactions and no bullshit honesty with others?

Nope.

I'm just a jag because I don't have unrealistic expectations with pie in the sky bullshit dreams of forever changing the face of multimillion dollar print ads (wtf?) but can help and influence smaller communities like this.

Grow up, guy.

bchamba

Yeah, well said as well. Like demented said, it's fine to question how natural it was achieved but there were definitely some personal attacks in here and that went too far. I'm glad it's died down though and we can get back to the grind.

p.s. I just saw your shin pics. LOL. dude, is it always that bad for you?

I think so. I don't notice it all the time because I'm not always wearing white socks so when I bleed it doesn't show through. For a while I was pulling down my knee sleeves when I would deadlift but then I got too used to it and when I went for a deadlift without them my shins were so sensitive to the bar.

99% of the hate for steroid use stems from lying about it and selling yourself as a natural.

Nobody in drag racing bitches about lining up next to a guy with a supercharger who says he has a supercharger. You're not going to buy the same car OEM thinking you'll get the same results.

mkenyon

Banned
Hi FitGAF, it's been awhile.

Quick recap of my last couple of months:

1) Had to stop going to the gym so I could finish fixing up my 1970s house on 5 acres to sell.

2) Sold it, then had to spend every free moment and weekend packing house as well as business, and then moving both.

3) Moved to Bend, OR, which has been my dream location for as long as I can remember. Beer Mecca, with access to literally every outdoor activity.

4) Wife got pregnant, which we were told was pretty much impossible due to health issues. Greatest news of my life. However, due to wife in 1st trimester and being super sick/tired, I did most of the prior 3 points myself.

5) Ordered everything I need for a home gym, now that I have a proper garage that isn't being used for Hay/Feed storage. Time to get back on the horse.

I've maintained with some cardio and tons of moving. Still running 5-6 days a week, but just haven't had time to pick up a barbell. Soon!

theytookourjobz

Gaining 20kg in a year and most of it being muscle is pretty damn impressive. I think it's possible but obviously results not typical.

But anyone that is attacking and accusing needs to back the fuck up. It's not your business and you aren't the morality police. If someone wants to take steroids to tip the scales at a whopping 83kg, then more power to them. As long as they aren't competing against me (weightlifting, powerlifting) then I could give two fucks.

BumRush

1) Had to stop going to the gym so I could finish fixing up my 1970s house on 5 acres to sell.

2) Sold it, then had to spend every free moment and weekend packing house as well as business, and then moving both.

3) Moved to Bend, OR, which has been my dream location for as long as I can remember. Beer Mecca, with access to literally every outdoor activity.

4) Wife got pregnant, which we were told was pretty much impossible due to health issues. Greatest news of my life. However, due to wife in 1st trimester and being super sick/tired, I did most of the prior 3 points myself.

5) Ordered everything I need for a home gym, now that I have a proper garage that isn't being used for Hay/Feed storage. Time to get back on the horse.

I've maintained with some cardio and tons of moving. Still running 5-6 days a week, but just haven't had time to pick up a barbell. Soon!

Congrats across the board dude! We missed you in here. Tell your wife Bum said congrats!

After 2013 I stopped watching most of the fitness Youtubers because they just got annoying (HodgeTwins are still funny but I enjoyed them for their take on current events instead of fitness advice) and they all just basically partnered up with each other. Plus during that time Youtubers were being called out on how much money they were making; this made a lot of viewers see channels as businesses (which they are) instead of just some guy passionate about fitness, but of course they can be both at the same time.

When people started saying #halfnatty what are they really saying or implying? I use to watch Matt Ogus but that dude became really annoying and it annoyed me how he jokingly dance around the topic of him being on gear or not. I don't assume since I wouldn't want to take away from anyones hardwork but at this point I just feel like if a Youtuber that is being constantly accused doesn't show adequate proof of them not being on gear it probably means that they are.

And that's okay! It is just not okay when they give fitness advice to others and say "You can do it too, just listen to this advice," but they don't say that they are also on gear.

So, what is half natty? Is Ogus on gear? Do you believe that Youtubers that don't address the topic seriously are hiding anything?

If Youtube is there business it would not benefit them to admit former gear use, but it would benefit them to be able to say that they are "natural"
Half natty generally means one of two things:

i. I'm not using steroids right now. But I have used them in the past.

ii. I use steroids, but at levels that are in line with or slightly above natural human production.

--

Most Fitness Youtubers use steroids. Matt Ogus definitely uses steroids.

Most Youtubers cannot admit to steroid usage because it is a federal offense. They can literally be thrown in jail for admitting to it, so their is pretty much zero incentive to be honest about steroid use.

SeanR1221

Congrats! That's awesome news

Whoooooa...I didn't think juicing was super prevalent for the plebs. This opens my eyes quite a bit. I was a long time lurker, hopped in because you guys motivate me even if we are moving in opposite directions. Kinda sucks that I assumed everyone was on the straight and narrow. Like realizing the great and powerful Oz is just a dude who got lost and hit up Bed Bath and Beyond for hella curtains and a projector.

In other news completely shit the bed on my diet this weekend because the fiancee is out of town and got both lazy and hungry as hell. So much pizza, and a burger...and fried wings and fried rice. Back to the regular scheduled program....except a friend of mine brought by a tray of my absolute favorite cookies in condolence of the fiancee's loss.

No time for the gym this week because work is ridiculous and I am on solo dog duty. Can I fill the gap with a week of p90x? Is a week off going to kill me after 2 days of eating like I hate myself?

mdsfx

Can I fill the gap with a week of p90x? Is a week off going to kill me after 2 days of eating like I hate myself?
If you want to work a little harder or eat a little less to compensate then go for it. If you take it too far though, you might end up yo-yo-ing back and forth between binging and extreme dieting, which is not the best.

Sometimes it's better to just move on as if it never happened and continue with your usual regimen.

Don't freak out. This just happened to me. I "bulked" (go ahead, Pyscho, GO AHEAD!) from 152-173 or so, and although I gained some strength for a while on all of my lifts, i seem to have lost everything after my cut. I'm now 155 and only slightly stronger than before. It wasn't even that dirty of a bulk, but i think i increased calories too much. Next time I will try doing it much more slowly/carefully.

Were you lifting while cutting? I'm reading this thing right now that says you shouldn't lose much strength as long as you keep lifting heavy and get enough protein, especially if you're over like 12% body fat. Last time I lost everything because I stopped lifting and ate like 1200 calories a day because I was in a mad rush to get all the fat off of me.

This time I'm gonna try to cut July and August while lifting and getting enough protein, and see where I'm at by September.

mdsfx

Were you lifting while cutting? I'm reading this thing right now that says you shouldn't lose much strength as long as you keep lifting heavy and get enough protein, especially if you're over like 12% body fat. Last time I lost everything because I stopped lifting and ate like 1200 calories a day because I was in a mad rush to get all the fat off of me.

This time I'm gonna try to cut July and August while lifting and getting enough protein, and see where I'm at by September.

Lifting heavy (for me) and eating plenty of protein (130g+). I'm under 12%bf though. Not sure exactly by how much.

demented

I think it is in Sweden or Switzerland where the police can take you into custody if you are too big and they suspect gear use.
That story came from Sweden lol
Nanny states ruining things for everyone "/
Yah, I mean I can go to doctor get prescription for TRT no problem and buy it at pharmacy, quite easy and I'd consider it if my test was below average but in the long run when you come off it it just goes away in time.. I mean even if you use it, along with others, to achieve great physique, and then try your hardest you'll still get back to at most your natty limit, which will still be far from where you were with few proper cycles, and with all the risks involved it's just not worth it for me personally.
Best anti steroid stuff for me is looking at pics of ex bodybuilders and people that stopped using it for long time, body wise and health.

Faith

^^ Oh it absolutely diminishes the work they've achieved and especially those who aren't ninnies who juice. It skews perception of what people can achieve - especially to newcomers and seriously harms the rep of the sport. Especially in here.

Gearing up makes you just like the rest of the other nameless, faceless d-bags who are somehow, irrationally proud of being too afraid to push themselves to be the best version they can be without needing juice. Who are too chicken shit to face the realities of hard work so they look for the easy way out because it's easy.

They aren't the strong versions of the human form anyone should look up to. Just weak, scared and pathetic individuals who are so frightened of their own shadow they can't face it on their own.
Just came across this post. I mean, what the actual fuck? You have some serious mental health problems dude. Get it sorted out. This anger might kill you (or other people).

Sometimes it's better to just move on as if it never happened and continue with your usual regimen.

Won't be able to do my regs until next Monday, unfortunately. I was gonna try to fill in not being able to make it to the gym this week with p90. Definitely going to pretend this weekend didn't happen. ::squiggly forget fingers::

mdsfx

Won't be able to do my regs until next Monday, unfortunately. I was gonna try to fill in not being able to make it to the gym this week with p90. Definitely going to pretend this weekend didn't happen. ::squiggly forget fingers::
Ohhh, I misunderstood. Yeah do p90 this week!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Nothing like some steroid talk to increase activity in FitGaf! lol

There's a few people taking tren at my gym and good lord does that stuff work. These guys did what took me 3 years in like 12 weeks. It's nuts!

Just came across this post. I mean, what the actual fuck? You have some serious mental health problems dude. Get it sorted out. This anger might kill you (or other people).

Says the guy on sauce who purposefully and continually misled people. I'm the guy with mental health issues.

Says the guy who says i'm unhappy with myself so i'm attacking the aforementioned lie although the guy on gear isn't happy with OEM gains. I'm the guy with the mental health issues.

Remember when I said you didn't invent the game nor are you good at it?

You really suck at it. Just saying. Projection is easy to spot.

But I suppose lying and feeling the need build on that lie is the sign of a healthy mind.

jenniferlawrenceok.gif

Nothing like some steroid talk to increase activity in FitGaf! lol

There's a few people taking tren at my gym and good lord does that stuff work. These guys did what took me 3 years in like 12 weeks. It's nuts!

no joke, that stuff is potent as fuck

the sides tho do not look fun :/

Top Bottom