• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football |OT8| Gambling

Yen

Will there be a physical release of TWD? I'd like it but this close to Christmas, and a formal to go to, I don't want to spend much on myself.

Oxx

I got it as part of the Telltale Pack during the summer.

Unfortunately I think I'm starting with the best of Telltale. I don't think their other games are as well-regarded as WD.

Lightning

Banned
Oh yeah Emirates going to continue being our sponsor.

Walcott out for Villa game? Damn it. Other than that we have a pretty strong squad for the game with Szczesny, Sagna and now Gibbs back as well. Hopefully we turn up and pull of a victory because we need one.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
(Sorry if it's old)

Swiss Ramble on Arsenal's new Emirates deal:

I’ve been asked for my thoughts on Arsenal’s £150m Emirates deal, so here goes.

New deal covers 5-year extension in shirt sponsorship from 2014 to 2019 plus 7-year extension in stadium naming rights from 2021 to 2028.

This represents a significant improvement over current deal: £90m for 8 years shirt sponsorship plus 15 years stadium naming rights.

Likelihood is naming rights element of deal is worth very little. Current £90m deal includes £42m for naming rights, so only £2.8m a year.

If that is unchanged, then that would be worth around £20m of new deal (7 years x £2.8m).

That would leave £130m for shirt sponsorship (+ training kit), so £26m a year, compared to current £5.5m.

If naming rights extension effectively worth nothing, due to “stickiness” of Emirates name, then shirt sponsorship worth £30m a year.

Either way, this is higher than every other club with the exception of Manchester United’s Chevrolet deal (£45m).

The deal could also be worth more if team is successful, as bonus payments for success likely to be included in contract.

So, an impressive deal, though question is how good it will look in a few years time when other leading clubs renegotiate their deals.

Also, there should be a similar uplift when Arsenal renegotiate Nike kit supplier deal with Adidas strongly rumoured to be replacement.

So, congrats Arsenal GAF. ;)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Chevrolet is Man U sponsor? never seen any logo of them around Man U. great deal haha

alexterim.jpg

Dibbz

Awww yeah Arsenal rolling in all dat money. Shame the naming right to the stadium are not worth more but shirt deal sounds good.

Lightning

Banned
I'm worried about Jack playing too much but it's such a relief to have him back. Against Villa maybe the bench would be good for Jack and we give Ramsey a start instead? It could work as Villa are not that strong on midfield to boss us around.

And can you believe Wenger? He's talking like qualifying for the next round in the CL is like a trophy. That shit is fucking infuriating.

(Sorry if it's old)

Swiss Ramble on Arsenal's new Emirates deal:

So, congrats Arsenal GAF. ;)
I think Swiss Ramble is letting the Arsenal fan within him get the better of himself here.

If that scenario follows, then yes, it's worth £30m per year and that's higher than everyone but United.

But that then assumes the Stadium sponsorship deal is worth just £3m and the training kit sponsorship is worth nothing.

So when you look at it that way, they have a nice shirt sponsorship deal but a truly pitiful stadium sponsorship one. The Emirates is an outstanding stadium. It is the most beautiful stadium I've been to, better than Wembley IMO. Hosts 18 PL matches every season, a half dozen CL games and a number of concerts. And it is in London. That's worth alot more than £3m a year. Alot alot more. And then you have to consider they're locked into it for another 16 years. A ridiculous amount of time for that amount of money.

Training kit is a hard one to judge because United are the only team for the moment to have a really impressive deal there. Speaking of which, wonder when we will announce the new one.

Salvadora

Great new deal for Arsenal. Shame won't spend it.
I'm worried about Jack playing too much but it's such a relief to have him back. Against Villa maybe the bench would be good for Jack and we give Ramsey a start instead? It could work as Villa are not that strong on midfield to boss us around.

And can you believe Wenger? He's talking like qualifying for the next round in the CL is like a trophy. That shit is fucking infuriating.

Ramsey is shite though.

Dibbz

Well qualifying for the CL knockouts is important. There is nothing wrong with getting exited for going through.

And yeah Wilshire has been playing a lot but Villa are very decent so I'm not sure if we should leave him out. Although I heard Ramsey played well in midweek so he could get a chance. But honestly I wouldn't trust him just yet.

Viva why can't you let the Gunners have this one? :p
Haha it's not a bad deal, not at all - and it will boost their revenues quite alot and extra funds benefits few club more than Arsenal, so good for them.

I just don't find it that impressive and I don't think it shows aggressive commercial thinking. What Gazidis said about retaining sponsorship under one umbrella - I don't see the value of that here, not in this deal.

That said it is only a 5 year deal which means they can start to seek renewal within 3/4 years - much better than the long term deals which many clubs sign these days.

Moobabe

Haha it's not a bad deal, not at all - and it will boost their revenues quite alot and extra funds benefits few club more than Arsenal, so good for them.

I just don't find it that impressive and I don't think it shows aggressive commercial thinking. What Gazidis said about retaining sponsorship under one umbrella - I don't see the value of that here, not in this deal.

That said it is only a 5 year deal which means they can start to seek renewal within 3/4 years - much better than the long term deals which many clubs sign these days.

It depends what kind of leverage Arsenal can command I suppose - I don't know enough about the economics of Football clubs to even begin to comprehend, but I'd imagine United, City and Chelsea would get more because of the exposure they've got through winning silverware.

That said - given that only United have a higher deal it shows some pretty good thinking on their part and, if over the next few years, they win something then they'll be in a stronger position.

Lightning

Banned
Ramsey is shite though.
We don't have much choice. He played Spurs last Saturday, Montipellier on Wednesday, we have Villa this Saturday and then a shitty trip to Everton next Wednesday.

That's a lot of games in a short period of time for Jack. When he gets tired he does dumb things or worse gets injured on tired legs.

Salvadora

We don't have much choice. He played Spurs last Saturday, Montipellier on Wednesday, we have Villa this Saturday and then a shitty trip to Everton next Wednesday.

That's a lot of games in a short period of time for Jack. When he gets tired he does dumb things or worse gets injured on tired legs.
Yeah I agree. Jack's fitness just isn't there yet and it really tells as the game goes on. I am terribly afraid that Wenger will do him in.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I like to make fool of myself... :)

But come on, is Brazil god dammit, we can dream with the best! =P
Just think of the amount of time a hypothetical Guardiola as Brazil's manager would get with his players and compare that to the system he implanted at Barcelona. It sounds pretty and idealistic and all that shit, but I don't know if it sounds practical or even realistic.

Fry

They'll just get another brazilian manager. Probably the one managing Corinthians again, or some that has already been in charge of the national team.

It depends what kind of leverage Arsenal can command I suppose - I don't know enough about the economics of Football clubs to even begin to comprehend, but I'd imagine United, City and Chelsea would get more because of the exposure they've got through winning silverware.

That said - given that only United have a higher deal it shows some pretty good thinking on their part and, if over the next few years, they win something then they'll be in a stronger position.
City and Chelsea still have relatively weak deals - success on the pitch isn't that instrumental in sealing big sponsorship deals.

Anyhow, I just think Arsenal are selling too much a little too cheaply here but nonetheless will be a big boost to them, should be earning £40m more in TV right next year too and getting at least £15m more from Nike/Adidas - will soon be very difficult for Arsenal to justify not spending money.

pulga

Banned
Funny video between Mou and Maicon making light fun of Benitez to Chelski!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l7szEdm6YI

Translated for inferior English speakers:

Mou: something out of context
Maicon: He's going to Chelsea, he's going to Chelsea.
Mou: You sure? Then send Materazzi as an aide/assistant!
Maicon/Mou: trollolololololol

Hargenx

Just think of the amount of time a hypothetical Guardiola as Brazil's manager would get with his players and compare that to the system he implanted at Barcelona. It sounds pretty and idealistic and all that shit, but I don't know if it sounds practical or even realistic.

This is not the hard thing here...

The problem is the prejudice, a foreign manager even one that is A THOUSAND OF TIMES better than any other in Brazil could have lots of hard time just for not be a Brazilian.

jtb

Banned
It's hard to know how shit Ramsey is or isn't since Wenger keeps playing him on the wing. He or Coquelin are both competent options when pairing Arteta and Cazorla down the middle, I think.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This is not the hard thing here...

The problem is the prejudice, a foreign manager even one that is A THOUSAND OF TIMES better than any other in Brazil could have lots of hard time just for not be a Brazilian.
Again. Parreira. Go get him. Even Ramalho would be a million times better than Mano.

That said I think Brazil's major problem right now is the player pool. Too inexperienced at the international level.

FuturusX

SAF and Mourihino mocking Benitez tells you all you need to know....he's great manager. Looks like Chelsea have landed on their feet again. They'll still sack him though :)

Top Bottom