• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football |OT8| Gambling

AndresON777

shooting blanks
lol, I meant the young one. Maggie's sister, not Andrea.

Yep I got it. Andrea looks like she'd have some roast beefage tbh

Now she's fucking the governor, fucked shane. Hopefully rick taps dat ass so she can have everyone!

--what's good on u.s. netflix? reupped my membership to watch Thor (awesome btw)

EDIT2: No longer top spot on wall of shame! Thanks Wilbz!

Wilbur

Banned
Yes that was stupid.

My concerns about his tactics remain (long ball?) but I wish the fans weren't so against Rafa.

Long ball wasn't a problem; its not negative football unless you're lumping it. Scholes has sprayed enough long balls wide over his career that I judge it as an effective tool. Rooney's particularly adept at it as well.

The problem for me is that if they are going to play the long ball at times, Torres doesn't have the pace to get to it now. Even when balls were going through the centre of the two centre backs (and Oscar played one or two fine ones), Torres was being outpaced and outmuscled.

FootballFan

Anderson is a good source of entertainment. Got to say I did really take to him when we first signed him but his weight gain and shitness turned me off him. If he gets his form back I might want to touch his belly.

Was I the only one that thought you were talking about AndresON? :lol

elseanio

Yes that was stupid.

My concerns about his tactics remain (long ball?) but I wish the fans weren't so against Rafa.

Are you basing the long ball theory on just what happened today? I didn't watch the whole match myself, but maybe it was just a quick tactic because of the little preparation he had with the team and they were up against city

The formation on paper looks brilliant. Ramirez and mikel maybe not so strong (Ramirez is brilliant, but I don't think of him in that holding role), but the front 4 should work given time.

Long ball wasn't a problem; its not negative football unless you're lumping it. Scholes has sprayed enough long balls wide over his career that I judge it as an effective tool. Rooney's particularly adept at it as well.

The problem for me is that if they are going to play the long ball at times, Torres doesn't have the pace to get to it now. Even when balls were going through the centre of the two centre backs (and Oscar played one or two fine ones), Torres was being outpaced and outmuscled.

My issue with the long ball was cechs goal kicks up field and mata going for a header against kompany, centre backs (including our own) and generally quite tall, why play that way with such short players? We'd be better playing out if defence as we were (though not a recklessly).

Torres is a massive problem though, if we had a decent striker we could be well clear by now at the top based on how we were playing :(

Wilbur

Banned
Are you basing the long ball theory on just what happened today? I didn't watch the whole match myself, but maybe it was just a quick tactic because of the little preparation he had with the team and they were up against city

The formation on paper looks brilliant. Ramirez and mikel maybe not so strong (Ramirez is brilliant, but I don't think of him in that holding role), but the front 4 should work given time.

There's a huge discrepancy in quality with Chelsea's side; it reminds me a little of us because we've got such a fantastic attack and then this gulf in midfield, but we accommodate players that help our tactics. Mikel however... he isn't a bad player, but he's not mobile, he doesn't break forward, he doesn't really do a job. He's like Carrick but without the eye for a pass.

They need a Torres replacement and a Mikel replacement.

Wilbur

Banned
My issue with the long ball was cechs goal kicks up field and mata going for a header against kompany, centre backs (including our own) and generally quite tall, why play that way with such short players? We'd be better playing out if defence as we were (though not a recklessly).

Torres is a massive problem though, if we had a decent striker we could be well clear by now at the top based on how we were playing :(

Old Torres would have been clear of the defence a few times today irrespective of whether the ball was long or across ground; I think Benitez placed a little too much faith in him. I agree that if you have Mata/Hazard/Oscar then play should primarily be channelled through them, but there was a moment where Torres had the ball at his feet and was in front of Kompany and Nastastic. He got sandwiched and muscled off the ball by both easy as fuck.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ramires starts playing wide right to offer a more physical presence, but then you have to address centre midfield. Luiz could play there, Romeu... but apart from that, nothing. It's a particularly weak area of the squad at the moment and its odd, because a few years ago there was Lampard in his prime, Ballack, Makelele, Essien, all these strong, combative midfielders who had no shortage of ability either.

Ramires was shit today also.

So was Yaya Toure.

It was just a really bad match.

Yaya's been poor all season. Kompany was good today, but both of them have been resting on their laurels a little if you ask me. Yaya should be one of those players that takes a game like today by the scruff of his neck and do something, but he doesn't.

There's a huge discrepancy in quality with Chelsea's side; it reminds me a little of us because we've got such a fantastic attack and then this gulf in midfield, but we accommodate players that help our tactics. Mikel however... he isn't a bad player, but he's not mobile, he doesn't break forward, he doesn't really do a job. He's like Carrick but without the eye for a pass.

Mikel is a good tackler but his passing and movement don't match the quality we need in that role. Romeu came off the bench today he was very good last season under AVB, as soon as Rafa took over I thought he would get Romeu playing regularly and if he can get him playing well I think he will be a ready made replacement for Mikel.

elseanio

It's two positions that Rafa really
Relied on too. Alonso and Lucas/Maacherano where indispensable in the system he played. Our goals came from the Gerrard/Torres partnership, but all our play came from those two midfielders being available for a pass from the back, or breaking up play.

I don't think chelsea will be looking to replace torres yet, but they definitely need a better holding midfielder if they want to play that 4231

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Was I the only one that thought you were talking about AndresON? :lol

images

lol this dude looks like Arteta

RaGe_pt

FC POOOOOOOORTOOOO!! I can't believe we scored like that :D I screamed like a crazy person, my neighours must think I'm fucking nuts! :D :D

At Arsenal. I love:

Cazorla
Wilshere
Arteta
Sagna
Oxcart

I think that's it...

Compared to the Invincibles days, where I loved Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira, Cole, Campbell, Cygan (lol)...

Lightning

Banned
At Arsenal. I love:

Cazorla
Wilshere
Arteta
Sagna
Oxcart

I think that's it...

Compared to the Invincibles days, where I loved Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira, Cole, Campbell, Cygan (lol)...
Whaaa no Fabregas? No Adams?

Ashley Cole was awesome when he played for us. Freddie Ljungberg as well I really respect.

Whaaa no Fabregas? No Adams?

Ashley Cole was awesome when he played for us. Freddie Ljungberg as well I really respect.

Forgot about Ljungberg :lol yeah he was awesome, so was Gilberto Silva :D

And I loved Adams, but he didn't play in the Invincibles team ;), Fabregas only came into the team a year or so after, I believe.

Top Bottom