• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football |OT8| Gambling

Thai curry rules all.

This is where I'd commit suicide from (if I were to commit suicide):

1w53L.jpg

fuenf

Unfortunately I dont think this warrants an OT thread, but lol :D:

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20121126-46389.html
TheLocal said:
English 'YOLO' voted top German youth word

"YOLO," short for "you only live once" has been voted the most popular new German youth expression of the year, the second time in four years that a word derived from English has won.

Much to the annoyance of educators and organizations promoting the proper use of German, the nation's youth appear to love taking English phrases, abbreviating them and adopting into everyday youth slang - particularly when communicating online.

Take this year's shortlist for dictionary-maker Langenscheidt's "Youth Word of the Year" competition, started in 2008 to find the best word coined by young Germans over the course of the year.

After an online vote to draw up the list, a six-head jury unanimously selected winner "YOLO," roughly used in the sense of carpe diem for its originality and creativity, among other factors. Close runner-up in second place was the rather unoriginal English profanity: "FU" short for "fuck you."

Last year, Langenscheidt's choice of “swag,” taken from the English word swagger and originally used in rap music to mean “enviable, casual-cool charisma,” was slammed by the Verein Deutsche Sprache for promoting indiscriminate (and not to mention improper) use of English.

But English and internet slang isn't the only influence on the German youth. This year's shortlist show influences from other languages such as the Arabic word "Yalla!" meaning "hurry!" which came in third place.

In fifth place came "Komasutra" used to mean "attempted sex between two very drunk people."

Even German politics appeared to have found a role in youth slang. Second place this year was "wulffen," meaning "do to a Wulff," referring to Germany's disgraced ex-President Christian Wulff.

The verb either means to leave a long babbling message on someone else's voicemail, or to scrounge a living at the expense of others.

The Local/jlb

not sure what to think... despite feeling very old

Thai curry rules all.

This is where I'd commit suicide from (if I were to commit suicide):

Why would you want to desecrate your stadium?

Guess that's a good thing. :) Could be a nice Komasutra place, though. YOLO!

I'd love to see the G-A-F? Thread "Football fan found dead after having drunk sex on top of the stadium roof."

Yeah, that could be me.
I just remembered this tidbit from 2008 or so when someone put a BVB flag on top of the Schalkeh stadium:

That was good.

|OT9| Chinese > Curry

Most people only like Chinese because they never tried other East/South-East Asian dishes (well, they might have tried Sushi too..)
Vietnamese is so much better imho, but Cantonese (or HK)* is fine too

* because there's no Chinese cuisine, stupads :p

/dickish Asian cuisine connoisseur

K1LLER7

Chicha needs to teach him to use his whole body to just knock goals in. Only a true poacher can kick a ball off their face and score a goal that way.
I'm not sure if Chicha should start games. He's so much better coming on around the 60th min. Similar to Dzeko. With tired defenders not really able to track his runs.

Ando should definitely start on Wednesday.

Wilbur

Banned
Who have we got, Reading at home?

I want:

DDG; Jones, Smalling, Evans, Buttner; Carrick, Anderson, Cleverley; Welbeck, van Persie, Rooney

With Powell on at some point

faridmon

Happy Bday Kyle.

Its bad enough to have a Benitez as your manager, ow you have to live your future life knwing that you share your birthday with a player such as him

I'm not sure if Chicha should start games. He's so much better coming on around the 60th min. Similar to Dzeko. With tired defenders not really able to track his runs.

Ando should definitely start on Wednesday.

That's partly true, but some of his starts can be attributed to the midfield and wingers. For instance, against Norwich, even RVP was useless. Usually when he comes on as a sub, Fergie has made changes to the midfield.

Wilbur

Banned
That's partly true, but some of his starts can be attributed to the midfield and wingers. For instance, against Norwich, even RVP was useless. Usually when he comes on as a sub, Fergie has made changes to the midfield.

Personally I don't think Hernandez should start. He just looks ineffective when he does; if he's coming on for the last half hour of games and scoring then that would be great. Ole accepted his role, I'd quite like it if Chicha did... even if that does sound a little unfair.

Dzeko's the same. He's started twice in a row now and looked ineffective as fuck both times.

Top Bottom