• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

GorillaJu

From Michael Cox (Zonal Marking), praise for Fellaini:

Fellaini steps forward as man for all occasions

Marouane Fellaini showed his versatility in Everton's 4-4 draw at Old Trafford, playing high up the pitch close to Nikica Jelavic and contributing a goal and an assist. The previous weekend, he had started as Everton's deepest midfielder in the FA Cup semi-final defeat to Liverpool, although he did switch positions with Tim Cahill in the second half at Wembley.

Having also shown an ability to play somewhere inbetween, as a box-to-box midfielder, he's essentially able to play three separate central midfield roles to a high level – Manchester City's Yaya Touré is arguably the only other player in the division that can boast something similar. The one area of his game he still needs to improve upon is his discipline – he commits more fouls per game than any other Premier League player.

Didn't know this but it makes sense. He's like a serial fouler, he seems to foul everyone all over the pitch, not just other midfielders. Fantastic player though - really showed his quality against United the other day. He ran that whole game.

Kozak

Banned
ferguson and mourinho know how to handle 'big' players, not mancini--he's proven that this season with balotelli and tevez. of course he's trying to put the pressure on them, but congratulating them on winning the title already is taking it a bit too far--his mind games are fucking cringeworthy. jesus. i feel embarrassed for living on the same planet as that guy.

and i honestly think that if city win the title this season, it'll be in spite of mancini not because of him.

And both players have come back, tails between their legs, apologizing to Mancini and City.

bud

it's one thing to say something like "united are the favorites, they have the experience yada yada yada," but to congratulate them already when you've spent hundreds of millions of pounds on new players and have a perfectly good chance at still winning the league is taking it a bit too far.

it's one thing to say something like "united are the favorites, they have the experience yada yada yada," but to congratulate them already when you've spent hundreds of millions of pounds on new players and have a perfectly good chance at still winning the league is taking it a bit too far.

Do you honestly not see that he's just trying to put pressure on Man U? He won't be telling the City players that. He knows the pendulum has swung back in City's favour just as much as anyone.

bud

Do you honestly not see that he's just trying to put pressure on Man U? He won't be telling the City players that. He knows the pendulum has swung back in City's favour just as much as anyone.

i know, but i'm saying he's going overboard with that.

rififi

I thought there was a rule now where yellow card suspensions don't count towards the final, only red cards?

Fletcher :(

These are the only regulations for cautions and cards in the Champions League:

Article 22
Yellow and red cards
22.01 As a rule, a player who is sent off the field of play is suspended for the next
match in a UEFA club competition. The Control and Disciplinary Body is
entitled to augment this punishment. For serious offences the punishment
can be extended to all UEFA competition categories.

22.02 In case of repeated cautions:
a) before the group stage, a player is suspended for the next competition
match after two cautions in two different matches, as well as after the
fourth and sixth caution;
b) from the first match in the group stage, a player is suspended for the next
competition match after three cautions in three different matches, as well
as following any subsequent odd-numbered caution (fifth, seventh, ninth,
etc.).

22.03 Single yellow cards and pending suspensions are always carried forward
either to the next stage of the competition or to another club competition in
the current season.

22.04 Exceptionally, single cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions expire
on completion of the play-offs. They are not carried forward to the group
stage.

22.05 Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions from club competition
matches expire at the end of the season.

I really hope Xabi Alonso and Ramos don't do anything reckless on Wednesday.

i know, but i'm saying he's going overboard with that.

Fair enough, but It seems to be working. He's been in this position before and won a league with 5 games to go!

Edit: If we get CL football we can attract so many great players. And we'll have about 15 million with the sale of Krul to Chelsea

:(

Carbonox

Fair enough, but It seems to be working. He's been in this position before and won a league with 5 games to go!

Edit: If we get CL football we can attract so many great players. And we'll have about 15 million with the sale of Krul to Chelsea

:(

Hah, Krul isn't going anywhere.

Wilbur

Banned
Just been watching Premier League seasons on YouTube, I think I've forgotten how good 2004/05 Chelsea were. Mourinho got lots of flak for 2005/06 I think when they scored two early on and shut up shop, but they were scoring four every week the season before. Such a good team, to have them the season after the Invincibles as well... There's no team in the PL now anywhere near as good as those two.

Hah, Krul isn't going anywhere.

Was speaking to the editor of the sports section of the Chronicle, he thinks if an offer comes in that's north of 15 mil then Ashley will cash in.

It'll be a crazy transer window for us, looks like it'll be more new faces coming in than current ones leaving thank god.

What other manager should City get? If anyone knows how to handle big players it's probably Mancini, could see City go completely to shit with a new manager and he has had the team constantly develop. His congratulations to United is probably just trying to get the pressure on them.

AVB. The man deserves another shot at top level management and he's shown with Chelsea that he's not afraid of benching/getting rid of the senior players. Unlike Mancini, he'd have banned Tevez, Balotelli, Dzeko, Nasri, Yaya and co already!

From Michael Cox (Zonal Marking), praise for Fellaini:

Didn't know this but it makes sense. He's like a serial fouler, he seems to foul everyone all over the pitch, not just other midfielders. Fantastic player though - really showed his quality against United the other day. He ran that whole game.

Yeah that's his strength but also his main weakness. Since he came through Standard youth academy, he's always been a pretty dirty player, he's actually calmed down a bit I'd say this season. He used to elbow opponents 2-3 times per game. Gained a pretty bad reputation eventually in the Belgian league, he'd get sent off once every 3-4 games.

Carbonox

Was speaking to the editor of the sports section of the Chronicle, he thinks if an offer comes in that's north of 15 mil then Ashley will cash in.

It'll be a crazy transer window for us, looks like it'll be more new faces coming in than current ones leaving thank god.

The only way I would accept Krul going is if we keep Forster. He's a class keeper as well but wants out because he won't be first choice while Krul remains. Or we could go for Vorm as a replacement for Krul.

But I still doubt Krul will go. Mike Ashley needs to realise that to compete in the top 6, especially when we're financially sound, you don't sell your best players. It's what happened when Dalgish was in charge and he in particular helped fuck the club up.

Meier

I know their name had been mentioned earlier, but it sounds like perhaps PSG is the definite favorite to land Dzeko this summer.

The only way I would accept Krul going is if we keep Forster. He's a class keeper as well but wants out because he won't be first choice while Krul remains. Or we could go for Vorm as a replacement for Krul.

But I still doubt Krul will go. Mike Ashley needs to realise that to compete in the top 6, especially when we're financially sound, you don't sell your best players. It's what happened when Dalgish was in charge and he in particular helped fuck the club up.

Hey man I agree with you, but we all know what Ashley is like. I wouldn't be suprised either way, I just hope he realises we need to hang onto out best players.

In other news, some are saying Webb will be the ref for the Manchester derby. Congratulations to Man U then, another title n the bag!

:p

Wilbur

Banned
Hey man I agree with you, but we all know what Ashley is like. I wouldn't be suprised either way, I just hope he realises we need to hang onto out best players.

In other news, some are saying Webb will be the ref for the Manchester derby. Congratulations to Man U then, another title n the bag!

Thank you!!! We'll pay him to ref your match with City as well. Shola hat trick plz

Carbonox

vEtD3.jpg

lol Shearer

Thank you!!! We'll pay him to ref your match with City as well. Shola hat trick plz

Now you're just being silly. If Shola ever scores another hat trick in the Premier League I will buy a sunderland top and post a picture on Gaf with 'I love Sunderland' written on my forehead.

Carbonox

Apart from Sunderland. I tell you, Shola may be totally useless but if there's two things he's been good for it's scoring goals against the mackems and his episode of cribs.

Can't wait for his testimonial haha.

His assist for Cisse against Bolton was fantastic. It was probably his best pass in his career. :lol Perfectly weighted. Cabaye would have been proud.

dc89

It's Andre Marriner, he's the ref.

Facism

Gold Member
Cuneyt Cakir... Isn't that the guy the Turkish guy on here calls Cakir the Clown or something? Also his first name is nearly Cunt.

Yeh Cakir the Clown. He's a terrible ref. Likely why he's reffing the barca game, he's not above fixing results.

Top Bottom