• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

GorillaJu

To be honest I like the variety. First, surname or nickname; all good.

I like variation when it represents the international quality of football. For example, nearly all footballers with Portugese names go by their nickname and it has been so for god knows how long, so when a Portugese or Brazilian player is in the team, that aspect of their culture comes along with them.

Japanese family names have historical context as well as direct meanings. Nakamura means "central village" and Miyaichi could be translated to "town by the temple." First names, however, are often trendy and meaningless in a broad sense and are not an important part of your identity in Japan, where 99% of people call you only by your family name.

It probably bothers me even more because there's this popular notion of "being international" but Japanese seem to believe that you can become "international" by giving yourself a foreign name and learning a cool language like English, Italian or German instead of opening up your mind and your perspective. It's shallow and tiring. I'm too jaded.

elsk

Banned
Chelsea's remaining fixtures: QPR (29th), Newcastle (2nd), Liverpool (5th), Liverpool (8th), Blackburn (13th), Bayern (19th).

Bayern's remaining fixtures: Stuttgart (28th), Köln (5th), Dortmund (12th), Chelsea (19th).

good game Bayern!!! congrats to a well deserved place in the final, I'll be rooting for you guys then.....

Mostly because I don't want Newcastle to lose their hard-earned CL qualification spot!! :p

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
apparently Anzhi is going to make a big offer for Alves. if it's 40 millions or more, I'd sell him.

elsk

Banned
WKX8r.gif

When Torres scored that goal on tuesday I was so filled with energy I couldn't contain that I started doing push ups lol, the whole place was in an uproar really.

Choc

Banned
Sky Sports ‏ @SkySports Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Jose Mourinho hopes Chelsea win the Champions League after seeing Real Madrid knocked out by Bayern Munich - http://bit.ly/IbdPSU

Good Guy Jose

Back to Chelsea then? He wants to return to the PL. He has made no secret of it.

Choc

Banned
Twitter is on fire

barcastuff ‏ @barcastuff Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Several media and journalists claim that Guardiola has decided not to renew his contract, ahead of a meeting with president Rosell today.
Retweeted by Phil McNulty

edit: Chelsea? Rumor has it roman offered him 60 million over 4 years

the best thing is.... dortmund is champions and no one cares in the german media. they had some headlines for two days and now they are gone. thank god :D

you Bayern guys have an inferiority complex lol

Still caring what the media writes about Dortmund after making it to the CL final, says it all...

spidye

you Bayern guys have an inferiority complex lol

Still caring what the media writes about Dortmund after making it to the CL final, says it all...

lmao. *facepalm*

did you forget your own comment last night after bayern won? I saw the inferiority complex only from you guys. but hey, if that makes you happy keep on

We are not "caring" -> we are laughing! ;)

it's quite funny to be honest. the other dude got it all figured out. just because you don't post regularly on a video game forum for bayern you're an "event fan".
lmao.

Bo-Locks

Oh God. I've got a 20min presentation/talk in 1 hour and my preperation has been almost non-existant. Yet here I am on NeoGAF. Kill me now.

We are not "caring" -> we are laughing! ;)
About what? That the media isn't writing about Dortmund that much? Yeah, I'm gonna cry now, the championship means nothing to me now that Bayern made it to the CL final lol

lmao. *facepalm*

did you forget your own comment last night after bayern won? I saw the inferiority complex only from you guys. but hey, if that makes you happy keep on

Dude that was a little joke. I'm happy for Bayern to make it through. If you guys win the CL that would mean more coefficient points for us and would make pretty sure we're in pot 3 next season. And I need a Schweinsteiger with full confidence for the Euro, so what do I win with Bayern losing? Nothing, right.

spidye

About what? That the media isn't writing about Dortmund that much? Yeah, I'm gonna cry now, the championship means nothing to me now that Bayern made it to the CL final lol

Dude that was a little joke. I'm happy for Bayern to make it through. If you guys win the CL that would mean more coefficient points for us and would make pretty sure we're in pot 3 next season. And I need a Schweinsteiger with full confidence for the Euro, so what do I win with Bayern losing? Nothing, right.

you are actually my "favourite" dortmund poster but what the other dude posted yesterday was just hilarious.
didn't want to offend you. ;)

Could've hedged it by betting some money.

Always worked for me.

Yeah, let's not blow this out of proportion. Both teams have accomplished great things this season, both teams have played great football, there's really no need to get into an argument. Let's also hope for the best for the Euro.

We'll smack them so hard in the DFB Pokal Final it'll make Dortmund's whole season retroactively shitty. Spider Man 3 style.

Bayern fo lyfe, yo.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If Jose cleans out Terry from the team then I say come on over.

I would give Di Matteo the job though. He earned it.

I would give it to him as well, because hopefully he'd be rubbish just like he was at West Brom. Every Chelsea caretaker has had an end-season like this, the players are just happy that AVB is gone but the rebuilding of the squad still needs to happen and the players will turn on RDM soon enough, just like they have done with every manager post-Jose.

Kyoufu

I would give it to him as well, because hopefully he'd be rubbish just like he was at West Brom. Every Chelsea caretaker has had an end-season like this, the players are just happy that AVB is gone but the rebuilding of the squad still needs to happen and the players will turn on RDM soon enough, just like they have done with every manager post-Jose.

Yeah I would fear any club managed by Jose in the PL. Hopefully he doesn't take the job.

The question though is what will happen to fake Ronaldo? Does he plan on staying at Real?

Zabojnik

It's kinda sad how we struggled against Cesena yesterday. Four more Cesenas to go :(

God help us all.

I think we did ok, all things considered. As Barca demonstrated the other day, it's hard for anybody against teams playing with 10-0-0. It could be we're in for a similar game against Novara, or it could be we manage to score in the fist 20min and it ends up 4-0. And Milan is unlikely to have an easy match against Siena (and later on Inter). But yeah, anything can happen.

Do you guys know of any relaxation techniques I could use before and after our matches? I seriously fear for my health. :)) Juve's all I think about these days and football has even managed to slip inside my dreams. Yesterday I had a totally random dream in which Felipe Melo joined Liverpool. I was one of the journalists present at his, well, presentation to the press. I kept asking him something like "Felipe, do one of your psycho expressions for the cameras!" and he was glad to do so, repeatedly, with everybody in the room laughing. So, yeah, I need help.

Kyoufu

Wait... Terry is banned from the final, as in banned by UEFA.

He's not lifting the CL trophy...... THE PROPHECY CANNOT BE TOLD!

The_Joker

List of the teams who have won the Champions League

Maybe Chelsea will add to it this year.
2011 FC Barcelona
2010 Inter Inter
2009 FC Barcelona
2008 Manchester United
2007 AC Milan
[...]
1985 Juventus
1984 Liverpool FC
1983 Hamburger SV
1982 Aston Villa

And yes I took it back to 1982 to cheer myself up.

dawson-crying.jpg

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think we did ok, all things considered. As Barca demonstrated the other day, it's hard for anybody against teams playing with 10-0-0. It could be we're in for a similar game against Novara, or it could be we manage to score in the fist 20min and it ends up 4-0. And Milan is unlikely to have an easy match against Siena (and later on Inter). But yeah, anything can happen.

Do you guys know of any relaxation techniques I could use before and after our matches? I seriously fear for my health. :)) Juve's all I think about these days and football has even managed to slip inside my dreams. Yesterday I had a totally random dream in which Felipe Melo joined Liverpool. I was one of the journalists present at his, well, presentation to the press. I kept asking him something like "Felipe, do one of your psycho expressions for the cameras!" and he was glad to do so, repeatedly, with everybody in the room laughing. So, yeah, I need help.
Siena did quite well against Milan the last time they met. Well, until Ibra's penalty killed all their hopes.

It's strange that we're counting on Inter.. it's a dog fight for third/Europe, so that worked out brilliantly for us :p

I had a Juve dream as well! We won 2-0 (I assume it was Cesena), with Marchisio scoring the second goal. I don't remember who scored the first goal but it was definitely not Borriello :p
2003 Juventus Runners up
2002 Real Madrid
2001 Bayern München
2000 Real Madrid
1999 Juventus Roy-Keaned
1998 Juventus Runners up
1997 Juventus Runners up
1996 Juventus
1995 AFC Ajax
1994 AC Milan
1993 Olympique Marseille
1992 FC Barcelona