• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

FootballFan

Hopefully this final stops people from confusing the names of the 2 teams. Atletico Bilbao and Athletico Madrid is too common of a mistake. Like Bayern Leverkusen lol.

That was a great assist from Ibai Gomez to Llorente, finals in europe should be pretty awesome.

Go Bilbao! and Go Bayyeerrnnnn!

faridmon

Atletico are not that good. In my book Bilbao will crush them

2 finals in 3 years is not godd. I agree!
They have better players (that's why they're in huge debt anyway!) so yes in paper they're the favorites. But Bielsa >>>>>> douchebag Simeone.
Meh, every team in the world have debt. considering that they are the smaller Madrid team, that is sir is quite impressive.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Athletic in final, 35 years after their last appearance when they lost to
Juventus
in the 1977 Final.

Their team reminds me of BVB for some reason.
So cheeky Yurt . . . so Basque - Spanish final then. At least one Madrid team is in a European final.

Do you really want Atletico to win a title though? :p You won't hear the end of it!

“When I arrived here, I didn’t know the club very well,” N'Doye told FIFA.com. “But I quickly realised that it’s a fantastic club, if not just for the way they welcomed me. What’s incredible is that the more I play, the more I tell myself it’s an extraordinary club.”

Those are not empty words either, as the 27-year-old recently proved by decorating his left arm with the tattooed logo of a local supporter’s group. Nor is he alone in having learned to appreciate Copenhagen’s appeal of late. The capital side put together a superb run to reach the round of 16 in last season’s UEFA Champions League, and along the way they earned the respect of none other than Josep Guardiola, who remarked: “I’ve never come up against another team as solid or intense since I’ve been coaching Barcelona.”

Founded 20 years ago, Copenhagen have also turned success into a habit like few other sides across Europe. Their current league campaign looks set to land them the tenth title of their brief history and, incredibly, it would be their ninth in the last 12 years.

Asked now whether he retains fondest memories of Al Sadd, Academica Coimbra, Panathinaikos or OFI Crete, and his answer speaks volumes: “Copenhagen. It was hardly worth me playing for all those clubs. I’ll only remember my experience in Denmark.”

“The league I play in may attract less media attention, but at least I’m doing something I love,” he explained. “I put all my heart into it and that’s enough to make me happy. I just want to bring pleasure to everyone who supports me, and that’s what helps me progress.”
http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1620995.html?intcmp=newsreader_news_box_1

N'DOOOOOOOOOYE. I love that man. Now please don't leave before champions league next season

rififi

Do you really want Atletico to win a title though? :p You won't hear the end of it!

Lol, of course not - I am already hearing it from some of my Atletico friends.
Much rather have Bilbao win. Hopefully Llorente will get a starting position for the Euros as well.

Meier

Apparently Wayne Rooney's little brother John plays for Orlando City Soccer Club now. I'm hoping they join the MLS one of these days.. there have been rumblings and that's the ownership's ultimate goal. I'd actually follow the league if they made it in.

"City" (fitting, hah) are currently the defending champions of the 3rd level of the American soccer "pyramid," the USL Pro League. No relegation or promotion system in place in America.

Llorente 3-1

untitled-4qqybg.gif

Oh my, what a goal. Dat reaction..

Good to have players like that in your team. I had no idea Copenhagen was only a 20 year old club.

It's a merger between the oldest football club outside of England (1876) and another club from 1903. But yeah, it's considered a club that was "born" in 1992. Have a lot of bitter fans of other clubs yelling about us lacking history. :p

Vitet

2 finals in 3 years is not godd. I agree!

Meh, every team in the world have debt. considering that they are the smaller Madrid team, that is sir is quite impressive.

I didn't mean that. I'm only saying I don't see them superior to the Bilbao.

Valencia is too irregular to serve as a reference

elsk

Banned
"City" (fitting, hah) are currently the defending champions of the 3rd level of the American soccer "pyramid," the USL Pro League. No relegation or promotion system in place in America..

That's why football sucks in USA. The teams have to buy their spot to play in the "first division"...

faridmon

Hahaha, '' Solbakken is our most successful manager in our club history'' he says, No wonder, its only 20 years old and Solbakken was there 25% of the clubs history.

I didn't even know that, Hahaha...

and still more successful than Rosenborg, damn you Danmark

I didn't mean that. I'm only saying I don't see them superior to the Bilbao.

Valencia is too irregular to serve as a reference
Fair enough. But I see A. Madrid to come on top. They have the experience and Bilbao are quite inconsistent when it comes to play against Spanish teams.

Hahaha, '' Solbakken is our most successful manager in our club history'' he says, No wonder, its only 20 years old and Solbakken was there 25% of the clubs history.

I didn't even know that, Hahaha...

Wait, maybe I am blind but I don't see that in that interview. He should just have said "most successful manager in Danish football" though, as that would also have been true. 4 league titles and 5 times European league football, twice Champions league which we had never done before that and even went through the group stage, which no danish team has done before. ;)

STÅLE IS GOD AND HE WILL RETURN. HE WILL. WILL.

faridmon

Wait, maybe I am blind but I don't see that in that interview. He should just have said "most successful manager in Danish football" though, as that would also have been true. 4 league titles and 5 times European league football, twice Champions league which we had never done before that and even went through the group stage, which no danish team has done before. ;)

STÅLE IS GOD AND HE WILL RETURN. HE WILL. WILL.
i read it some where some time ago, with you always saying that as well.
Yeah, that says a lot about Danish league that anything about him or Copenhagen, and he is certainly nowhere to a sane human being, let alone a ''god''

I hope he does go back, hope he relegate you lot for the first time in your history like he did with Koln.

i read it some where some time ago, with you always saying that as well.
Yeah, that says a lot about Danish league that anything about him or Copenhagen, and he is certainly nowhere to a sane human being, let alone a ''god''

I hope he does go back, hope he relegate you lot for the first time in your history like he did with Koln.

iYRtKM5RchnCE.gif

elsk

Banned
Newcastle interested in signing Hamburg's Heung-Min Son, according to "Bild".
Son's agent: "We are not concerned with these things until the season is over. More important for now is that HSV stay up."

Son's agent: "We are not concerned with these things until the season is over. More important for now is that HSV stay up."

Pretty sad that's what HSV need to concentrate on. Fucking Arnesen...

keit4

Banned
According to Lotina (Deportivo's last season coach), Adrian (who played for us various years until relegation) barely had goal. Right now, he is the first spanish player to score 11 goals in a european competition in the same season...

I want to punch him :(

Pep now likely quitting?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17855980

Just want to say he is one of the classiest managers I have ever seen. Hope if he does take a break he comes back into football fairly quickly.

I hope he comes to the Premiership, him and Mou fighting it out in the Prem would be amazing.

Oooooooooooooooo. Is he good?

Labadal

He deserves to stay. Look at his record with this team. Yea, yea, I know he has great players at his disposal and some of the last games weren't good. But that could happen to any team.

rodvik

I don't know, it sounds like he's trying to get all the media attention over him so they don't have time to trash the Barcelona players.

If it was Mou i would agree but pep has never struck me as playing those kind of games. He wears his heart on his sleeve a bit I think. His press conferences after the past few games have seen him look fairly tormented imho.

Will be pretty sad if Guardiola leaves, he has successfully managed the best club side ever and made Messi the best player in the world. I think every Barca player owe their graditiue to him if he goes.

Wilbur

Banned

He's awesome on FM

EDIT: Just seen Clegg said the same

Top Bottom