• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Sloosha

Now that I've calmed down a bit,

I'd like to congratulate Chelsea for a deserved victory against Barcelona. I recognise that their tactics were one of necessity rather than idealogical preference. To come up against the best, despite not having a good season yourself, and deny them whilst yourself scoring more than they is an achievement and that is worth plaudits.

I just have to say, this is one of my favorite drunk posts on footy-gaf yet. ;)

You are certainly right about it not being an ideological preference. The irony of the whole discussion being Chelsea's, or at least Abromovich's, aspirations towards a more attacking, "beautiful" style of football. Obviously didn't quite pan out this way and we were forced back into a more pragmatic approach for the rest of the season.

FootballFan

Again, I'm talking about WINGERS. Barcelona youth academy makes very good midfielders and even defenders but in the winger department they usually make average players.

For example Thiago Alcántara is a player that could work in any team in the world. And for me he's one of the top young talents out there right now.

Ok man I'll just let it go lol. Not like I will change your opinion of him. To me though he is still a great player. Average players don't score 3 goals in El Clasicos. Not very easy scoring in tense games against Casillas, (robben at WC for example).

fuck uefa are they serious, out of 52000 seats that the stadium in bucarest have they are only giving out 9000 to each team?

Wow, so dumb.

Totally agree. I have a hard time seeing him managing another club if he decides to leave. Maybe he will take time off, manage a national side then return to Barcelona?

Qatar, Brescia, Inter, Milan, Roma, Chelsea, Man United, Man City, etc I can see him coaching heaps of different teams. Madrid being the exception. Returning to Barca seems extremely unlikely.

But as to who comes in to coach Barca? That is a tough one.

Bielsa? AVB? Capello(lol) ? Xavi becomes player manager? Roy Hodgson? Mick McCarthy? Rafa Benitez? WHO KNOWS.

1967scf3.jpg

Back in the day refs were men.

Check out that string vest. :lol

It's a shame with FIFA's bullshit max referee age rules. That guy could no doubt calm Mourinho down.

FootballFan

Whoever takes Barca has some serious shoes to fill

i don't think you can replace Pep, if you know what i mean. He played for the team as a captain!

thats something else, playing at the top level as the captain with the team and then taking them on a massive winning run

Yeah like I said..
-Born in Barcelona
-Ball-boy at the nou-camp
-Youth team player
-First team captain and won the clubs first EuropeanCup(CL)
-B team coach and promoting them to the 2nd division
-becoming the main teams coach and most successful coach in history, winning everything, playing damn good football.

I think that is when it gets to the points of being irreplaceable. Couldnt really ask for a better coach(for Barca). :(

He sure did set the bar high for the next guy. lol
theres still a chance he is staying

rodvik

Qatar, Brescia, Inter, Milan, Roma, Chelsea, Man United, Man City, etc I can see him coaching heaps of different teams. Madrid being the exception. Returning to Barca seems extremely unlikely.

But as to who comes in to coach Barca? That is a tough one.

Bielsa? AVB? Capello(lol) ? Xavi becomes player manager? Roy Hodgson? Mick McCarthy? Rafa Benitez? WHO KNOWS.

Oh he COULD coach any of those teams, he just seems Barca through and through is all. I question whether he would want to.

As for a replacement, god knows. Good luck with that. His shoes seem impossible to fill.

GorillaJu

Pep and Mou look dapper no matter what they wear. Put an Armani suit on Roy Hodgson and he still looks like a terrified owl, only in Armani.

sohois

Roberto Martinez is probably the only other manager in the premier league who could pull off some kind of style, but that is mostly because he is young & spanish. Most of the managers in the premier league are too old & british to ever be stylish.

Kozak

Banned
I wonder if Louis van Gaal is an option for the (Barcelona) job. I think we are still paying his salary... FUCK THAT GUY :(

Wins the league, wins the cup, reaches final of Champions League. Fuck that guy.

Someone needs to make a meme for LVG:

Win domestic double, reach Champions League Final.

Everybody at that club hates me.

Not to mention Van Gaal did all of that with a Bayern Squad that faced consistent injuries to its top players.

Keep on hating though, gives me more reason to hope that Chelsea defeat Bayern in the CL final ;)

Sloosha

what do you guys think the odds that Messi's contract has a clause around a Guardiola departure?

He can join Pep on his sabbatical. They can both go on walkabout and really find themselves.

Roberto Martinez is probably the only other manager in the premier league who could pull off some kind of style, but that is mostly because he is young & spanish. Most of the managers in the premier league are too old & british to ever be stylish.

How about Mancini?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bielsa is top candidate right now, according to catalan press. mostly because Messi wants him (he has a big say) and because his style is similar to Guardiola albeit a bit more vertical.

I think a player like Fabregas would perform MUCH better under Bielsa than Pep. Pep is more possession and less vertical, while Bielsa preaches having possession of the ball he also likes his team to be more vertical. Don't expect 70% or more of possession under Bielsa like it was the norm with Pep.

But honestly, I don't know. Bielsa is not your typical coach, he could very well turn down Barcelona's offer and stay at Bilbao and it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.

elsk

Banned
Wins the league, wins the cup, reaches final of Champions League. Fuck that guy.

Someone needs to make a meme for LVG:

Not to mention Van Gaal did all of that with a Bayern Squad that faced consistent injuries to its top players.

He also "fired" Lucio, van Bommel, Luca Toni. Fucked everything when he was against Neuer coming to Bayern and tried to use a youth GK as the "solution".

I do think he gave a lot to the team, and we wouldn't have the team we have right now if it wasn't for him. But the dude is a fucking asshole.

And who the fuck are you anyway? haha

But honestly, I don't know. Bielsa is not your typical coach, he could very well turn down Barcelona's offer and stay at Bilbao and it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.

It would be a surprise if he says yes to Barcelona, actually.

What about Stevie Kean?

Seriously though I think Brendan Rogers could pull it off, lower leagues but Exeter manager Paul Tisdale is pretty slick

sohois

Mancini wears those stupid scarves all the time and in any case he probably won't last much longer in the PL anyways.

Rogers has got some style, but he's let down by the hair. Should probably shave it off instead of going for the slow recede.

rodvik

Mancini wears those stupid scarves all the time and in any case he probably won't last much longer in the PL anyways.

My wife finds Mancini distressingly attractive. In particular the scarves. She hates football but happily gushes when City are playing "Oh its HIM." Then points out how well he is dressed, as she looks down at me on the couch with my beer and sweatpants.

Wait, you're a mod on PSU, DC? You even gave me reputation on there in 2010! What did they do to that place, the forum is so narrow now, so annoying to read.

rodvik

Gnite all, I leave you with my dream manager for Aston Villa.

Entertainment, tragedy, ludicrously attacking football, constant tabloid stories.

Admit it, you all want it to happen as well.

Diego_Maradona_Aston_Villa.jpg

diego_690x396.jpg

ept_sports_sow_experts-905241378-1281896878.jpg

Lets make this happen footyGAF.

He also "fired" Lucio, van Bommel, Luca Toni. Fucked everything when he was against Neuer coming to Bayern and tried to use a youth GK as the "solution".

I do think he gave a lot to the team, and we wouldn't have the team we have right now if it wasn't for him. But the dude is a fucking asshole.

And who the fuck are you anyway? haha

It would be a surprise if he says yes to Barcelona, actually.

I could swear I read some Bayern fans were in fact upset by him coming there couple months back.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
xXjbBm.jpg

Vialli and Zola watching the semi final.

TkHHu.jpg

Nedved, Marotta and Paratici's celebration to Borriello's goal. Can we please replace Marotta with Paratici or Nedved?

ibSC4xywncL9b.jpg

What now Allegri?
xkU1E.gif
Ghost hand?
xkU1E.gif

2gXNDm.jpg

Immobile on the right, Verratti on the left. Done deal? :p

Sloosha

Mancini says he is Eden for City.

I think it's just a job of the club and agent fishing for the best possible sum of money at the moment, if that is seriously the case, there can only be one winner.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say he's heading to Chelsea. Especially since we're sending De Bruyne the other way.
He's going to City

Top Bottom