• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
So, Botafogo is trying to get Seedorf and Berlusconi wants to bring Del Piero to Milanello. Which one is more unlikely? Both or both? :(

You never know!

quzHN.jpg

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It still feels wrong to have Pirlo here, he's still a Milan legend in my eyes.

We were debating the other day if Pirlo was considered a mercenary or not? I mean, I don't think Maldini would've left Milan for Inter or Juve after a contract dispute.

Alright maybe comparing Pirlo to Maldini is a stretch
xkU1E.gif

Kinda like Trezegol I guess? He was going to join Napoli a few months ago
l1SXw.gif

tzare

Barcelona is now gossip land. Lastest rumors is that Guardiola leaves.... along with Puyol. We'll find out in a few hours.

Choc

Banned
Pep's gone i can feel it.

And i think he will stick to his word and take time out. He is already rich enough to retire today, so why not :)

go out on top

It still feels wrong to have Pirlo here, he's still a Milan legend in my eyes.

We were debating the other day if Pirlo was considered a mercenary or not? I mean, I don't think Maldini would've left Milan for Inter or Juve after a contract dispute.

Alright maybe comparing Pirlo to Maldini is a stretch
xkU1E.gif

Kinda like Trezegol I guess? He had no problem joining Napoli a few months ago
l1SXw.gif

Well, Pirlo went to the team that offered him what he was asking, while near the end of his career. So he's close to be a mercenary.

Then again, he refused a lot of other teams (and money) when he was playing with us. So he wasn't a mercenary.

I don't see him as a mercenary, I think he's the average football player from this point of view.

Pep Guardiola will leave Barcelona at the end of the season, bringing to an end a trophy-laden four-year spell in charge of the Catalan club.

Guardiola informed his players of his decision on Friday morning, before heading to a press conference to address the media. The former Barcelona captain and Spain international has told the club he needs a break from football.

The news brings the curtain down on the reign of the most successful coach in Barcelona's history. Guardiola won three successive La Liga titles at Camp Nou, lifting the Champions League trophy in 2009 and 2011, as well as subsequently winning the FIFA Club World Cup on two occasions.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/148155.html

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
pJAYU.jpg

Pirlo after missing the penalty
xkU1E.gif

Well, Pirlo went to the team that offered him what he was asking, while near the end of his career. So he's close to be a mercenary.

Then again, he refused a lot of other teams (and money) when he was playing with us. So he wasn't a mercenary.

I don't see him as a mercenary, I think he's the average football player from this point of view.

True!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
CARLOS BIANCHI FOR BARCELONA

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
One bad season and he leaves?
This is what I'm thinking... doesn't seem to be able to handle the pressure of not being the best.
He only won one trophy in 2010 and he's still on track to win Copa del Rey today, not to mention he already got the Club World Cup. This has nothing to do with how successful Barcelona may or may not have been this year. The rumours of him not renewing his contract have been coming since January.

Messi

He only won one trophy in 2010 and he's still on track to win Copa del Rey today. This has nothing to do with how successful Barcelona may or may not have been this year. The rumours of him not renewing his contract have been coming since January.

This is all true, and every year it was a fight to get him to renew. I kind of expected this since the start of the year. Still hurts though.

Wilbur

Banned
He only won one trophy in 2010 and he's still on track to win Copa del Rey today, not to mention he already got the Club World Cup. This has nothing to do with how successful Barcelona may or may not have been this year. The rumours of him not renewing his contract have been coming since January.

Eh, the Copa Del Rey and the CWC are nowhere near as big as La Liga or the CL. I think the pressure's got to him. It would speak volumes if he stayed and then came back next year and won everything again; if he won everything this year and stepped down it would look better.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Eh, the Copa Del Rey and the CWC are nowhere near as big as La Liga or the CL. I think the pressure's got to him. It would speak volumes if he stayed and then came back next year and won everything again; if he won everything this year and stepped down it would look better.
He already came back and steamrolled the competition last year after that one-trophy season. I don't buy the pressure theory.

tzare

it has nothing to do with success or failure. He almost left last year, it is more about his relationship with Rosell and Vilanova's health

tzare

Apparently Bielsa's contract with Bilbao ends on June 30th. Candidate number one?

i hope not. I'd rather pick Carreras from my hometown Sabadell, or Oscar Garcia, they know how the club works. A 'foreign' coach after Guardiola may do more harm than good. Maybe Luis enrique.

Choc

Banned
Can you imagine the pressure Pep would be under

4 years of it would almost kill you.

It's good he is going before the team drops badly due to his exhaustion and gets sacked

Well done pep

FootballFan

One bad season and he leaves?

This season he has won:
The Club World Cup
The Uefa SuperCup
The Spanish SuperCup
and is in the final of the Copa Del Rey.

I know most of those are Mickey Mouse trophies or whatever you guys call em but they still are trophies.

I don't think it is cause he had a bad season, he just doesn't want this anymore. I can't imagine the pressure.

Sucks that the closer it gets to the press conference the more sure I am that he is leaving. :(

God damn.

I can see him waiting and resting until SAF retires to take his spot. Don't know how United fans would feel about that though.

Kyoufu

This season he has won:
The Club World Cup
The Uefa SuperCup
The Spanish SuperCup
and is in the final of the Copa Del Rey.

I know most of those are Mickey Mouse trophies or whatever you guys call em but they still are trophies.

I don't think it is cause he had a bad season, he just doesn't want this anymore. I can't imagine the pressure.

Sucks that the closer it gets to the press conference the more sure I am that he is leaving. :(

God damn.

I can see him waiting and resting until SAF retires to take his spot. Don't know how United fans would feel about that though.

Would be better for Man United if someone like Giggs took over to continue SAF's legacy.

FootballFan

Would be better for Man United if someone like Giggs took over to continue SAF's legacy.

True but Pep has always praised SAF and United. I think he would do a good job too, he wouldn't need a translator either as his English is quite good as well.
Man the rumours that will be flying around who will replace him and where he will coach etc will get so tiresome.

Carbonox

"According to Forbes, Ashley's personal wealth has increased an incredible 500m this year to around 1.8 billion.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/04/27/ashley-wants-nufc-to-push-for-champion-league-72703-30851654/#ixzz1tEj2YtVQ"

Holy shit. :lol

There is absolutely zero need in selling any of our top players in the summer. Absolutely no need whatsoever.

Zabojnik

Eh, after 10 years at Milan or any other team for that matter you really can't blame a player for leaving for economic / whatever reasons. Pirlo gave his best years (or did he?!) to Milan and won everything there was to win with them. What more can you ask? So maybe he's not as loyal as Maldini, Totti or Del Piero, but there aren't many bandiere left.

Although, yeah, he could have chosen another team. I certainly wouldn't want to see Chiellini play for Fiorentina or Inter, just to name two rival and truly awful teams.

Giggs hasn't even coached yet. No way is he SAF's direct successor. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is at least in the realm of possibility, if still dubious. Hopefully, the choice is a little better than last time - the Sven Goran Eriksson parallel universe must be a scary place.

I like how unafraid he is to evolve his tactics and promote youth, but I'd also be a bit worried about his squad management and longevity in the job.

Wilbur

Banned
As a human being he's as classy, honest and motivated as they come, but as a manger ... he's been actually pretty terrible. Yeah, Roma's defence is laughable this season, but that's no excuse.

I think the fact he's trying to change their whole playing style is like what AVB did. Give him time, he'll be better.

Top Bottom