• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Can't believe I missed the whole of the second half. Fucks sake.

Gomezcelb.gif

Meus I can't send you a message, it says you have exceeded stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages.

elsk

Banned
"Marcelo's tackle was a red card, especially when you compare it to the challenge I made when I was booked." -Lahm

Carbonox

Strange how we haven't thrashed any team this season. Even last season we decimated Sunderland and Villa right?

And West Ham. Can't remember who else. But yeah, this season it's been more competitive so lesser results, though I'd argue better performances easily by our new crop of players. I think our biggest win this season was beating Man Utd 3-0. :lol

I'd like Birmingham to come up because of Hughton

Agreed. I'd love for him to return. I'd bet he'd get a fantastic reception at St James' Park.

rififi

RVP? Please...first and foremost you need proper wingbacks.

Not really a lot of wingbacks much better than what Madrid have on the market though (at least not really any young ones). I know Varane is still only 18, but once he is put in centre, then Ramos can play RB, which I think is good enough.
How many good, true left backs are there anyways?

Strange how we haven't thrashed any team this season. Even last season we decimated Sunderland and Villa right?

Indeed we did! Biggest we've won this season is 3-0. To be fair for most of the season we were a one man goal machine. Atleast now we're a two man goal machine :D

Kyoufu

Indeed we did! Biggest we've won this season is 3-0. To be fair for most of the season we were a one man goal machine. Atleast now we're a two man goal machine :D

Sort of.

Ba hasn't scored since February. Missed a penalty since. I don't expect him to score at this point.

HBA is getting some goals here and there, but I think for the most part we're still a one man goal machine.

Pachimari

Not really a lot of wingbacks much better than what Madrid have on the market though (at least not really any young ones). I know Varane is still only 18, but once he is put in centre, then Ramos can play RB, which I think is good enough.
Not many, and we don't need any as you say. Marcelo is enough and both Coentrao and Arbeloa are fine backups.

We need a right back or backup central defender along a central midfielder probably.

Carvalho and Lass are the first out the door this coming summer.

---

I hope that we will attack attack attack Bayern at the Bernabéu. We need to play to our strenghtes which is the attack and deadly counters.

Anyway, I'm happy and I believe we have the best chance of reaching the final. We are at home in the return leg and "just" need to win 1-0 and we always score.

elsk

Banned
Not many, and we don't need any as you say. Marcelo is enough and both Coentrao and Arbeloa are fine backups.

We need a right back or backup central defender along a central midfielder probably.

Carvalho and Lass are the first out the door this coming summer.

---

I hope that we will attack attack attack Bayern at the Bernabéu. We need to play to our strenghtes which is the attack and deadly counters.

Anyway, I'm happy and I believe we have the best chance of reaching the final. We are at home in the return leg and "just" need to win 1-0 and we always score.

And decent teams always score at the Bernabeu mwahaha.

Antioch

Kinda disappointed Bayern weren't able to score a couple more, but still it's a decent result. I honestly don't see too much reason for Real fans to be optimistic, there's no way that defense will withstand Bayern for a full match. 1-0 is very unlikely for Madrid.

FootballFan

Yeah, not that many. But aren't you rich as fuck? Go on spending spree, I don't care, lol.

But Coentrao is just horrible. Offensively as much as defensively. I mean Barca's got Dani Alves, who is the bomb going forward, but not so world class going back, so Barca adapts to this and changes their formation slightly (they play with a 3 man real defense for the most part). Either go with Marcelo and do a modern, fluid formation or try to buy someone who's more well-rounded.
You could always try to put some young prospect who is supposed to be an attacking midfielder or even a forward and remake them into nice wingbacks.
Alaba played in DM, LA for the most part before they realized they could put him in LB. Dortmund's Polish Dani Alves (Piszczek) was a center forward before Klopp told him to stfu and be a RB. This season he scored 4 goals and made 8 assists while being great defensively (kept Ribery at bay 2x).

What does this say?
"Final at home" in a degenerate Bavarian accent.

elsk

Banned
Kinda disappointed Bayern weren't able to score a couple more, but still it's a decent result. I honestly don't see too much reason for Real fans to be optimistic, there's no way that defense will withstand Bayern for a full match. 1-0 is very unlikely for Madrid.

I think it's a fine result, specially after the Dortmund meltdown. This match will be good to get some confidence back, and prepare for the 2nd leg.

Also, they're playing against Barcelona on the weekend, another lose would translate in a very damaged Real Madrid. If we play our cards correctly, we can play the final.

elsk

Banned
Yeah, not that many. But aren't you rich as fuck? Go on spending spree, I don't care, lol.

But Coentrao is just horrible. Offensively as much as defensively. I mean Barca's got Dani Alves, who is the bomb going forward, but not so world class going back, so Barca adapts to this and changes their formation slightly (they play with a 3 man real defense for the most part). Either go with Marcelo and do a modern, fluid formation or try to buy someone who's more well-rounded.
You could always try to put some young prospect who is supposed to be an attacking midfielder or even a forward and remake them into nice wingbacks.
Alaba played in DM, LA for the most part before they realized they could put him in LB. Dortmund's Polish Dani Alves (Piszczek) was a center forward before Klopp told him to stfu and be a RB. This season he scored 4 goals and made 8 assists while being great defensively (kept Ribery at bay 2x).

btw, you guys are close to buy a japanese RB right?

Jin_7

untitled-5z9j7r.gif

There, it was a hand ball.

Not intentional though, from what I can see. And the arm was right next to the body. Looked to me as if the ball hit it by chance.
So, one could also argue it wasn't a foul since when you get a ball shot at your arm without having an unnatural stance it's not a foul according to the rulebook.

Pachimari

"Final at home" in a degenerate Bavarian accent.
It already works with Marcelo.

Our formation is fluid and dynamic. When Marcelo goes up the field, Sergio Ramos goes to the left and thus the whole formation moves.

What we need is a reliable defensive right back but who is also not shy of going forward.

btw, you guys are close to buy a japanese RB right?
Yeah, as a backup: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/hiroki-sakai/profil/spieler_83002.html
We had a great rookie backup (Koch), but he got injured badly and recovers for more than a year now (I think we might transfer him on loan if he can ever play again) and the other one is just getting too old (Owomoyela).
Gotoku Sakai would have been great (he's totally two-footed), but Stuttgart snagged him and now he's beating over there :/

/edit

Our formation is fluid and dynamic. When Marcelo goes up the field, Sergio Ramos goes to the left and thus the whole formation moves.

What we need is a reliable defensive right back but who is also not shy of going forward.
Yeah, makes sense. I guess you don't play it as often in big games and those are the ones I catch.
But we should witness that in Bernabeu vs. Bayern.

Juve considering swoop for Drogba, according to Football-Italia.

DO NOT WANT. I know he's killer in front of goal but he's also 34.

In other words,
ibhhA0JgJnDWU1.gif

FootballFan

It is quite odd at the lack of truly good left-backs or right-backs out there. One of the weakest positions in todays game, not very easy to name 10 above average RBs / LBs:

Alves, Marcelo, Abidal, Lahm, Jordi Alba, Abate, Sagna, Richards, Pizchchszkz(Dortmund rb, not sure on spelling), and.....Ashley Cole?

Maybe someone can remind me of some more.

But I guess same can be done for most positions, I just feel like wing-backs are at a low atm.

Antioch

Just found out the referee for tomorrow's match is a Bayern fan and has a Catalan wife. Wonder if those factors will have any impact on the match...

Pachimari

Yeah, as a backup: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/hiroki-sakai/profil/spieler_83002.html
We had a great rookie backup (Koch), but he got injured badly and recovers for more than a year now (I think we might transfer him on loan if he can ever play again) and the other one is just getting too old (Owomoyela).
Gotoku Sakai would have been great (he's totally two-footed), but Stuttgart snagged him and now he's beating over there :/

/edit

Yeah, makes sense. I guess you don't play it as often in big games and those are the ones I catch.
But we should witness that in Bernabeu vs. Bayern.

Exactly. I don't know why Mourinho want us to be more defensive or cautious in big matches like Bayern and Barca, frustrating.

It is quite odd at the lack of truly good left-backs or right-backs out there. One of the weakest positions in todays game, not very easy to name 10 above average RBs / LBs:

Alves, Marcelo, Abidal, Lahm, Jordi Alba, Abate, Sagna, Richards, Pizchchszkz(Dortmund rb, not sure on spelling), and.....Ashley Cole?

But I guess same can be done for most positions, I just feel like wing-backs are at a low atm.
it's odd indeed. I guess Evra is up there? But I don't know if his form has gone down as I don't follow Machester United.

I don't like the reports of us being interested in Kyle Walker and Glen Johnson but as many reports I don't believe them. Marca's readers even prefer us to promote Carvajal from Real Madrid Castilla (our B team) and he is indeed talented.

Antioch

Based on the last couple of months or so, I would say a case could be made for Alaba being one of the best left-backs, or at least he's developing into one of the best.

FootballFan

I heard the referee's friend visited London once. That should even it up.

His puppies name is Blue, so that could factor into it too.

it's odd indeed. I guess Evra is up there? But I don't know if his form has gone down as I don't follow Machester United.

I don't like the reports of us being interested in Kyle Walker and Glen Johnson but as many reports I don't believe them. Marca's readers even prefer us to promote Carvajal from Real Madrid Castilla (our B team) and he is indeed talented.

From what I have seen, Evra has definately gone down hill in terms of performances in the last year.

Johnson or Walker at Madrid? Nope, don't see it. Havent heard of this Carvajal fella, Montoya looks like he has a great future for us and for the Spanish national team. Really good right-back. (+ Montoya looks like Fabregas
Well, kinda looks like him
)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Marcelo gets exposed by speedy wingers. heck Afellay, who's not that impressive at all and not even a natural winger, caught him wrong footed for that assist to Messi last year's semis (which IMO decided that tie).

why do you think Mourinho always goes with Coentrao for the big matches?

Marcelo also has an habit of losing his cool when things are not going his or his team way, starts commiting clumsy fouls and dishes out poor tackles.

FootballFan

Marcelo gets exposed by speedy wingers. heck Afellay, who's not that impressive at all and not even a natural winger, caught him wrong footed for that assist to Messi last year's semis (which IMO decided that tie).

why do you think Mourinho always goes with Coentrao for the big matches?

:O

Afellay is a very impressive player man! He has been unlucky with injuries and whatnot.

Scum

Holy shit! I saw the new thread on page 1 when I left for work! Fourteen pages already?? Tomorrow should be fun. :D

Carbonox

Holy shit, apparently Newcastle are attempting to sign Sigurdsson......

PLEASE LET IT HAPPEN!

Oh wow. That would be some signing. Was he at Hoffenheim while Ba was there cos that might come in to our favour?

EDIT: Yeah Ba was there. AWESOME. Go Ba, do us another favour.

spidye

ribery-1-0-schuss-rueckjpg_Diashow.jpg

hopefully, this ends all the offside talk. gustavo is not in front of casillas. pepe is the one who blocks casilla's view

GorillaJu

Great result for Bayern. And I can only hope that somewhere up in that broad blue sky, in Footy Gaf heaven, a little Irish man is cracking a smile.

Top Bottom