• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Antioch

I still don't get why so many people seem to think RM has an advantage going into the second leg, not only is Bayern leading but we all saw Real's defense, there's practically no way Real can defend well enough to stop Bayern from scoring an away goal AND play offensively enough to gain a lead at the same time.

I think unless Chelsea pulls of an upset, everything is in place for an FCB-FCB final.

Noirulus

Today's loss had more to do with Mourinho's terrible tactics than Real's defense.

Playing Di Maria in Ozil's position and vice-versa. Subbing in Marcelo for Ozil.

Trying not to play through the midfield cost us very badly as Bayern was seeing a lot of possession/space inside our half.

Blablurn

random note: two years ago we won the same way against manchester united. also with a last minute goal in the 90th minute. i hope the second game won't be as crazy as two years ago though.

elsk

Banned
is it just me or did real seam very tired in the end? i mean, u can say a lot of about heynckess but u have to admit that our team looks pretty good in shape. i could see the same thing against dortmund. they were done. they just scored a lucky goal out of nowhere. we on the other hand, we're still able to put some pressure on them. the same yesterday.

Well, obviously fucking 66 years old Heynckes is still fit as hell. I would expect him to give some tips to the players.
and also resting a lot of key players against Mainz

random note: two years ago we won the same way against manchester united. also with a last minute goal in the 90th minute. i hope the second game won't be as crazy as two years ago though.

Man, obviously! 2-1 against Manchester Utd at the Allianz Arena with Olic goal in the last minute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CYSwh3ztPQ), and then we lost 3:2 at the ManU stadium and made it anyway. We also kicked Fiorentina out with the same scorelines haha

OLIC GOAL WAS DELICIOUS
b5d6ccf0ae.jpg

panty

I don't get you folks saying Real will triumph over Bayern at Bernabeu. If we take a good beating from Barca I can see the players losing their composure. Then all the pressure just adds up, have to remain #1 in La Liga and also have to win Bayern to win CL.

Mou will have a hard time against Barca, who to play and who not.

Fantomex

He should know better because of his age and veteran status.

Well at least Moreno is pretty much confirmed to go to the Olympics instead of him.

Aren't you a Chivas fan? Hate on Atlas players much? Moreno is the next overhyped Mexican player. Doesn't he come from Chivas? How convenient. /endtroll

dc89

Well I will miss like 10 minutes of the first half tonight as I have to get home from work!

I think it's going to be a close one.

neoanarch

Maza is a freaking tower, even if he doesn't have the same tendency to go forward like Moreno. That's assuming they are both at 100%.

Come one dude. Maza is decent but he's clearly not better than Moreno. He's made a lot of mistakes at Stuttgart this year and always seems shaky. Moreno meanwhile makes very few mistakes and doesn't lose his cool. he's also great with the ball, never loses possession and is a great passer.

That Rafa kick doesn't seem all that intentional to me. Slo-mo always makes things look worse than they are.

I still don't get why so many people seem to think RM has an advantage going into the second leg, not only is Bayern leading but we all saw Real's defense, there's practically no way Real can defend well enough to stop Bayern from scoring an away goal AND play offensively enough to gain a lead at the same time.

Maybe because Madrid has been averaging nearly 4 goals at home this season?

Rest assured, Madrid will be much better next Wednesday, and will score at least 2 IMO, the whole front line was off last night, even though they haven't been in the best form recently, they've still been banging in goals.

If I was a Munich fan I'd be more concerned about stopping Madrid from scoring in the return than their defensive frailties.

All IMO, I also expect quite a different Classico on Saturday - both teams are tired and have pressure, really hope Chelsea take it out of Barca tonight.

Blablurn

Rest assured, Madrid will be much better next Wednesday, and will score at least 2 IMO, the whole front line was off last night, even though they haven't been in the best form recently, they've still been banging in goals.

If I was a Munich fan I'd be more concerned about stopping Madrid from scoring in the return than their defensive frailties.

All IMO, I also expect quite a different Classico on Saturday - both teams are tired and have pressure, really hope Chelsea take it out of Barca tonight.

I think out home goal average is not far away from madrids either. So this means nothing. Its 50:50 right now. This makes it so interesting.

Plus we saw a bayern team that actually cares. There were too many times in the bundesliga where that wasnt the case. Maybe they are saving their energy for the bigger goals this season. They just need to play like this for two more times.

A man can dream, cant he?

Noirulus

I don't get you folks saying Real will triumph over Bayern at Bernabeu. If we take a good beating from Barca I can see the players losing their composure. Then all the pressure just adds up, have to remain #1 in La Liga and also have to win Bayern to win CL.

Mou will have a hard time against Barca, who to play and who not.

Come on guys, this is the time of the year we have to keep our composure. Let's not get too pessimistic!

I think we'll have a good game at the Bernabeu. I'm glad we got an away goal at Munich and I think Madrid has the cards to defeat Bayern in Spain.

I'm not worried about the Barca game all that much -- Mourinho will play for a draw and that's probably what we'll get barring a lapse of concentration at the back line.

GorillaJu

What's your dog in this fight? By your username I'd think you were an Everton fan.

panty

Come on guys, this is the time of the year we have to keep our composure. Let's not get too pessimistic!

I think we'll have a good game at the Bernabeu. I'm glad we got an away goal at Munich and I think Madrid has the cards to defeat Bayern in Spain.

I'm not worried about the Barca game all that much -- Mourinho will play for a draw and that's probably what we'll get barring a lapse of concentration at the back line.

Yeah I know but being a Madrid fan is deadly to your heart :lol We have one of the best teams in the world but still I'm frightened about playing against big clubs.

LETSSS GOOO MAADRIIIDDD

Noirulus

Yeah I know but being a Madrid fan is deadly to your heart :lol We have one of the best teams in the world but still I'm frightened about playing against big clubs.

LETSSS GOOO MAADRIIIDDD

I agree. Heart problems are bound to arise with the combination of the team crumbling under pressure at times and the 12 or so Clasico's we've had over the past year, haha.

My heart was about to break today when the game started, glad I can sit back and watch the Barca-Chelsea game that's in some 12 hours or so.

Lightning

Banned
Any update on Arteta's injury? I heard possible 3 months... but I prayed that wasn't true.

And congrats to Bayern Munich on a hard fought and well deserved win. Neuer is awesome.

sohois

Any update on Arteta's injury? I heard possible 3 months... but I prayed that wasn't true.

And congrats to Bayern Munich on a hard fought and well deserved win. Neuer is awesome.

Sounds like RVP needs his latest broken bone/pulled muscle sacrifice to keep him going.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Aren't you a Chivas fan? Hate on Atlas players much? Moreno is the next overhyped Mexican player. Doesn't he come from Chivas? How convenient. /endtroll

here i thought Tera was embarrassing himself with ignorant/naive posts just for someone else to take his spot...moreno from atlas?? SMH...seriously? you can't google hector moreno??

also talking about chivas, they got handled sick by an ecua team. 5-0.

Fantomex

here i thought Tera was embarrassing himself with ignorant/naive posts just for someone else to take his spot...moreno from atlas?? SMH...seriously? you can't google hector moreno??

also talking about chivas, they got handled sick by an ecua team. 5-0.

Wow, you put down Tera and me
In one post not to mention Chivas.. You got the trolling thing down!

Salazar

United reserves come back from 3-0 down to win 6-3 against Newcastle and win the Reserve League North.

Will Keane hat trick. Petrucci was a boss.

They're not shit, Viva.

is it just me or did real seam very tired in the end? i mean, u can say a lot of about heynckess but u have to admit that our team looks pretty good in shape. i could see the same thing against dortmund. they were done. they just scored a lucky goal out of nowhere. we on the other hand, we're still able to put some pressure on them. the same yesterday.
Yeah, because you took a nap in the first half..
After having a ton of great to huge chances:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64UFNKILLFE&t=1m40s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64UFNKILLFE&t=2m12s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64UFNKILLFE&t=8m20s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64UFNKILLFE&t=11m12s
and hitting the post twice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64UFNKILLFE&t=4m53s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64UFNKILLFE&t=15m02s
....a totally lucky goal, suuure.
And how is it lucky anyways? Lewandowski knew full well what he was doing here..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64UFNKILLFE&t=12m24s

Laughable, Bayern delusion/amnesia at its best..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17042012/2/rpt-soccer-turkey-submits-bid-host-euro-2020.html

Turkey submits bid to host Euro 2020

Turkey submitted its bid on Tuesday to host the 2020 European Championship, less than a month after Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan began the race to stage one of soccer's biggest tournaments.
Erdogan told delegates at a UEFA congress in Istanbul last month that Turkey wanted to host Euro 2020, delivering a blow to Istanbul's 2020 Olympic candidacy because bidding for two major events usually held only weeks apart is unlikely to be successful.
Turkey missed out on hosting Euro 2016 by one vote but since then the country's football economy has expanded to become the sixth biggest in Europe, Turkish Football Federation President Yildirim Demiroren said in a statement.
"The construction of modern football stadiums, backed by state guarantees, in cities around the countries and the development of transport links are among the most important elements supporting our bid," Yildirim added.
"The Turkish Football Federation will provide every effort to host the Europe 2020."
After Erdogan's announcement, UEFA president Michel Platini said that if Turkey failed to win the Olympic bid, it would be a stronger candidate for the European Championship.

neoanarch

So the Mexican FA is proposing a change in the points system. I think its ridiculous. I can't see it having any affect on dull matches.

3 points for a win
Zero points for a scoreless tie
1 points for a 1-1 tie
2 points for a 2< goal tie

I guess the 94 WC being my first proper one. I never realized the 3 point system was such a new innovation, same with cards. I'm not entirely too sure why they changed from a 2 point system. It doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on ties.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/feb/05/question-jonathan-wilson-three-points

I think it's funny that Bayern is now supposed to be in great shape after Bayern fans in here cried about how tired the players are for weeks :D

Congrats, though. And good luck next week, you'll need it.

spidye

probably the only thing heynckes did well. I didn't think we could dominate dortmund in their turf and real so much in the second half. hopefully we can continue this in bernabeu

Choc

Banned
So the Mexican FA is proposing a change in the points system. I think its ridiculous. I can't see it having any affect on dull matches.

3 points for a win
Zero points for a scoreless tie
1 points for a 1-1 tie
2 points for a 2< goal tie

I guess the 94 WC being my first proper one. I never realized the 3 point system was such a new innovation, same with cards. I'm not entirely too sure why they changed from a 2 point system. It doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on ties.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/feb/05/question-jonathan-wilson-three-points

that sounds ridiculous

they COULD introduce bonus point style systems like rugby for absolute destruction of a team (win by 4+)

but it would still be a mess. Completely negating 0-0 draws is unfair. Sometimes 0-0 are the most exciting!

not often, but sometimes

confuziz

Banned
So the MCFC shop has a nice sale on the kits..and I always wanted to get the new kit (home or away)..

Problem is, I don't have a creditcard or Paypal (don't trust it).

Derp..

The OED entry for "swoop", in the context of football transfers, austerely states that any information in the midst of which this word appears is bullshit.

Pretty much.

lol Juve's transfer policy is baffling to me.

We haven't had much of a choice since we first finished outside of CL. We've always had to sell our future, but as a result we've had to overpay to get players (Matri, especially). So we've ended up with a lot of players who we've taken risks on, some of which succeeded (Lichtsteiner), some of which were mixed (Krasic), and some of which were downright confusing (who thought Jorge Martinez was any good?). Now the transfer policy can shift where we actually become a really attractive place to play. New stadium, in champions league, solid foundation of a team.

It's not like there's any truth to it, it's just an unlikely rumor. Summer is fast approaching and things are about to get craaaazy. :) I can see us paying a lot - too much, really - for a 28-30 years old WC striker, since it'll be tough to convince any of the palpable ones that a paycheck in the range of 4-5mil€ a year is good enough for them, when the likes of City and PSG will be offering a few mil€+ by default, just because they can. Drogba wouldn't make much sense at this point.

Btw, any news on the Pogba telenovela? I'm still saying it's just a case of Juve doing Raiola and the player a favour by helping them apply pressure to ManU. However, reliable sources are now saying it's pretty much a done deal. 1,2 mil€ + bonuses per year, 5 year contract. I'm having a hard time believing United won't match that.

According to the Gazzetta dello Sport, we put a deadline on Pogba's decision to the end of April. You might recall that we put a simlar deadline on Dzeko, and then proceeded to shift that deadline repeatedly until he joined City. I think here the Raiola factor might make a difference and we might actually end up with him.

Also, speaking of transfers, this might be of interest. Quoted from Football-Italia
Arjen Robben after Bayern's Champions League victory over Madrid said:
“The interest of a great club like Juventus is always pleasing,” he told Sky Sport Italia after Tuesday’s 2-1 win over Real Madrid in the Champions League.

“Juventus have had a great season, they are looking to rebuild and they have a team with a great future.

“I’m very happy at Bayern, but I still haven’t signed a contract extension and you never know what will happen in football.”

Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

We'll end up with Downing

rodvik

Good luck Chelsea fans! Sadly I think this is going to be a humiliating defeat. I just cant see this Chelsea team laying a punch on Barca. Hope to be wrong and see you on the other side!

Antioch

I don't think the goal average really means anything when they're facing one of the biggest teams in the world in the Champions League semi-final. After all, Bayern's victory was also the first time RM lost an away game in the CL under Jose Mourinho. I just don't see how Madrid are going to balance the tasks of defending against Bayern and at the same time score enough goals. Imo, they have a harder task going into the 2nd leg than Bayern do.

Keio

For a Finer World
but it would still be a mess. Completely negating 0-0 draws is unfair. Sometimes 0-0 are the most exciting!

not often, but sometimes
I'd be for a system where 0-0 nets no points for a team. Football is a game where the objective is to score goals, or that's at least how I prefer to see it rather than rewarding teams that just park the bus.

This would introduce more risk/reward into the game, pushing people to try and get at least that one goal.

Especially in major tournaments a risk averse approach is quite evident with games turning more and more low-scoring.

Not sure about the incentive of 2+ goal draws, that's stretching it a bit too far.

WIN = 3 points
DRAW = 1 point
0-0 DRAW = no points
LOSE = no points

I think this could work.

neoanarch

WIN = 3 points
DRAW = 1 point
0-0 DRAW = no points
LOSE = no points

I think this could work.

If anything a return to a two point system would be cool.

2 win
1 tie, no matter the score.
I agree with Choc an extra point for blowouts would be interesting. 3 points.

The article I posted seems to show that 3 point system hasn't made a major difference in results.

Is he any good, Wooden?

He is. But not top club in a big league good I think, he's way too easy to just push away. Worth signing because of his wife though, Miss Costa Rica. He has only played like 15 matches for us though and has been here for two years, had a really hard time to start with but recently got his breakthrough and played for Costa Ricas national team where did very well against Spain which made quite a few bigger clubs interested. Often he thinks he's a winger instead of a left back so will also leave you exposed sometimes.

Choc

Banned
I'd be for a system where 0-0 nets no points for a team. Football is a game where the objective is to score goals, or that's at least how I prefer to see it rather than rewarding teams that just park the bus.

This would introduce more risk/reward into the game, pushing people to try and get at least that one goal.

Especially in major tournaments a risk averse approach is quite evident with games turning more and more low-scoring.

Not sure about the incentive of 2+ goal draws, that's stretching it a bit too far.

WIN = 3 points
DRAW = 1 point
0-0 DRAW = no points
LOSE = no points

I think this could work.

lets scrap all this and you get a point for each goal scored

so even if you lose but score you make points.

Football would go insane, fast, the amount of goal scoring opportunities would go through the roof probably as managers would want goals goals goals.

of course, that could also turn into a mess :)

Top Bottom