• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

CARLTON!

Last time I remember WH playing decent football was under Pardew, played some really nice stuff then.

There were one or two games under Zola where we looked class, and the quick passing, flowing football he was aiming for shone through - I still think we would have been far better off sticking with Zola, and hope no club is so foolish as to put their faith in Avram Grant ever again.

Omikron

CARLTON!

There were one or two games under Zola where we looked class, and the quick passing, flowing football he was aiming for shone through - I still think we would have been far better off sticking with Zola, and hope no club is so foolish as to put their faith in Avram Grant ever again.

Who?

dc89

Back in 2007 Ray Ranson tried to buy City. Today we watch the club he ended up buying head to the third tier of English football.

Nope never said it was bad. He said they're lifeless but they'll be full of joy at the final whistle.

Ah. Wel not even sure who we are talking about here, just woke up and feel like shit, turned on Southampton to see if they are doing my bets well. They are. Feels good

offshore

This Champions League or bust hype really has to stop and what makes it worse is seeing how differently the likes of Bilbao have treated the Europa league as opposed to the mighty Spurs who went out early because top four was their main priority.

Agree. If Newcastle don't get CL football then it'll be a shame, but a good run in the Europa League seems more exciting than just qualifying for the CL just for money when we're gonna go nowhere in it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

H3T42.gif

Nah, he has wanted to leave for a while I think. Since October?

Of course, losing helps make the decision easier, but looking at him I think he could use a break.

If so, he should've announced it earlier.

Announcing it after losing against us in Camp Nou and getting KOed by Chelsea in CL gives the impression that he doesnt knwo how to handle bad situations. It's easy to work when everything seemsto be on it's right place.

Agree. If Newcastle don't get CL football then it'll be a shame, but a good run in the Europa League seems more exciting than just qualifying for the CL just for money when we're gonna go nowhere in it.

Isn't that fourth spot with hard ass CL qual as well, like playing against other top clubs from around the world?

Feorax

Blame UEFA for the high amount of CL money compared to the pennies of Europa money. Clubs want that cash.

English FA is just as bad. Winner of the FA cup gets a whopping £1.8 million in prize money.

And they wonder why people don't care about the domestic competitions.

Kyoufu

But... don't we enter Europa after CL failure? Why not take both the money and the Europa run? :p

English FA is just as bad. Winner of the FA cup gets a whopping £1.8 million in prize money.

Exactly.

Bumhead

Banned

The idea that prize money is even talked about is obscene to me. Call me an antiquated old romantic, but what the fuck's wrong with just the pride of winning a major trophy?

The modern game fucking stinks.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Yeah, I regret the way we treated the Europa League. We played the kids + Pavlyuchenko most of the time but it was an awful defeat in a home game against PAOK that stopped us getting to the knockout rounds. We started Modric, Corluka, Gallas, Defoe and several others and gifted them two goals. I'm sure we would have taken it more seriously once we got to the knockout rounds.

Kyoufu

Last time we finished fourth and had to qualify for the CL, we went crashing out to Partizan Belgrade >.<

I admit the last time I watched us in the CL was when we beat Barcelona 3-2 with the famous Tino hat-trick. Good times man.

edit: Also, Gabby Logan... delicious.

dc89

They will disqualify you from any European football for being too shit.

Well they would also go to Europe league if they fail in the later CL qual rounds.

Ah! Cool!

Record level of broadcasters will be at The Etihad on Monday night. Expected global audience of 400m.

RaGe_pt

Tonight we play against Maritimo at their home. Really really hard game, we'll have to be at our best to get the 3 points. But if we win, the league title almost certaintly won't get away from us. Hulk and James, do your magic! Can't wait for the game, 20:15h can't come soon enough!

I admit the last time I watched us in the CL was when we beat Barcelona 3-2 with the famous Tino hat-trick. Good times man.

edit: Also, Gabby Logan... delicious.

Met him in a nightclub in Newcastle a few months back, drunkenly thanked him for that hat-trick. Top bloke!

fuenf

Bayern today: Butt - Rafinha - Badstuber - Tymoshchuk - Contento - Usami - Pranjic - Gustavo - Müller - Olic - Gomez

Bench: Riedmüller, Lahm, Kroos, Schweini, Robben, Alaba, Petersen

gonna be interesting :)

Joe

Palermo signed 18 yo Argentinian striker Paulo Dybala. Long associated and assumed to sign with inter (also chased by Milan, PSG, and Chelsea) Palermo came out of nowhere and scooped him up. At same age he gets compared to Aguero.

I have no idea how they do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4zhX9ILUcQ - check out the top comments ;)

faridmon

By the way, Italian-Gaf, i have a question: I have met two friendly Italian guys and we had drinks and stuff. One of them was from Genoa and the other one from Catania and both of them support Inter. I told them that Catania is doing fantastic this year and Genoa was doing great for the past 2 years, why don't you guys support your local club? They don't exactly play in Series C like Commo or something. They told me that they grew up with Inter.

Is it usual to support the big team in Italy and not support your local club?

faridmon

I think Usami is overrated. He did good in couple of Osaka games and that does not mean he will be the next Kagawa or something. Even Ryu Miyachi seem to be more talented than him.

"The talks between Marin and the blues will be well advanced and could be early next week to be completed. The London endeavor to ensure a long-term cooperation, Marin allegedly to get a contract until 2017."
http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...marin-auf-dem-weg-an-die-stamford-bridge.html

German sky sport has also confirmed it and said he has already passed his medical.

Palermo signed 18 yo Argentinian striker Paulo Dybala. Long associated and assumed to sign with inter (also chased by Milan, PSG, and Chelsea) Palermo came out of nowhere and scooped him up. At same age he gets compared to Aguero.

I have no idea how they do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4zhX9ILUcQ - check out the top comments ;)

Fucking awesome. Saw the rumors yesterday, a football manager legend.

Edit : Haha Inter fans

Ah, congrats to Southampton. Showing again why they deserve to be promoted, by playing the type of football West Ham fans have wanted to see more of this season - we gave away 14 points after taking the lead, largely thanks to Sam's negative, 'as little as necessary to get the job done' tactics.

Top Bottom