• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Scum

Wow! Congrats, Suarez.
And now for something OT. Currently trying out a 4-4-2 formation by a guy named knap from SI Community Tactics thread. Defoe's doing damn fine with this tactic. 30(7) apps, 22 goals and 46(!) assists. :lol

Kyoufu

I dunno. We got it horribly wrong against Spurs, Fulham and Arsenal. I don't think we'll get it right against Chelsea either.

Pardew doesn't seem to know what to do against London clubs away from home.

elsk

Banned
Schweinsteiger gave his shirt to Demichelis who was in the stadium for the Real Madrid vs. Bayern match. Now mini-micho is using it!

iJstszhUeXg2x.jpeg

So there are only 11 world class players. Who's world class out of Casillas, Buiffon, Reina, Neuer?

Well Reina certainly isnt thats for sure.

Each to their own maybe my definition is flawed but for me Suarez falls behind the likes of Messi and Ronaldo, if he's world class then what does that make them?

By the way I'm not being deliberately inflammatory the lad is supremely talented

Wilbur

Banned
I'd say leading your country to the Copa America and finishing Player of the Tournament ahead of Messi, Neymar et al. would make someone world class. If any Englishman did it they'd be said to be utterly legendary...but that'll never happen.

They would by the media but we're cleverer than that.

Suarez is tier two for me. Top tier is Messi, Ronaldo etc. Suarez is a rung below

I dunno. We got it horribly wrong against Spurs, Fulham and Arsenal. I don't think we'll get it right against Chelsea either.

Pardew doesn't seem to know what to do against London clubs away from home.

I saw their major holes against Barca. All we need to do is actually take a few shots, keep men back for counter attacks and it's in the bag ;)

Well Reina certainly isnt thats for sure.

Each to their own maybe my definition is flawed but for me Suarez falls behind the likes of Messi and Ronaldo, if he's world class then what does that make them?

By the way I'm not being deliberately inflammatory the lad is supremely talented
I agree with you.

I made a long post about it first time we had the discussion, but yeah, he's not world class for me.

I only consider 3/4 forwards in the PL world class though, and even then, just. (Aguero, Tevez, Rooney and RVP). Rooney and RVP at a stretch. People have totally different definitions of what world class is. Suarez hasn't played well at the top level consistently enough for me, not yet.

Great hat trick though, beautiful goals.

Top-tier - Ronaldo & Messi
World-class - Van Persie, Iniesta, Xavi, Alonso, Cavani, Rooney, Ibrahimovic
Level below - Suarez, Nani, Llorente, Soldado

They're just examples of the way I consider players in terms of world-class or not. If Suarez's finishing can become consistently decent, he'll move up a tier. It doesn't even need to be brilliant due to the number of chances he gets and creates for himself and others

Meh. Not confident at all after our performance today. :(

Will be nice to get better defenders next season.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it performance wise, obviously it's very dissapointing considering our push for 4th but I don't think it changes my opinion that we can get good results from the last 3. Today we underestimated a Wigan side that is very much in form, taken points off the big clubs and should have beaten Chelsea themselves. I doubt we will have the same tactics against Chelsea, we won't underestimate them.

They're just examples of the way I consider players in terms of world-class or not. If Suarez's finishing can become consistently decent, he'll move up a tier. It doesn't even need to be brilliant due to the number of chances he gets and creates for himself and others
Agree completely.

(Though I'd push Iniesta and Xavi up to Top-Tier.)

Carbonox

Pardew's stupid tactics were a big reason behind the loss. Why change something that had us win 6 on the bounce? The guy is prone to being a total fucking idiot at times. Honestly.

elsk

Banned

Maybe a few years ago but Alonso right now is a "good" player at best.

I would add Ribéry, Schweinsteiger and Lahm to "world-class". And Cavani is "level below".

Clegg

I'd agree with this.

But I think there are a few more players in the top tier.

I wouldn't just put Ronaldo and Messi there by themselves.

Carbonox

Maybe we should make a football gaf world eleven if we could agree and vote on it!

Also where is the north west end of season meet up taking place :p

Casillas

Dani Alves
Vidic
Kompany
Lahm

Ronaldo
Xavi
Iniesta
Robben

Messi
Rooney

That would be my world 11 if I used a bog standard 4-4-2. Maybe replace Rooney with Schweinsteiger and play Iniesta as an AM and have Messi up on his own if I use a 4-5-1.

ShogunX

As good as Cavani is he isn't a level above Suarez. No doubt Cavani is a goal scorer but Suarez has a lot more to his game just like we see for Uruguay every time they play. Suarez to the people in Uruguay is god tier alongside Forlan.

Casillas

Dani Alves
Vidic
Kompany
Lahm

Ronaldo
Xavi
Iniesta
Robben

Messi
Rooney

That would be my world 11 if I used a bog standard 4-4-2. Maybe replace Rooney with Schweinsteiger and play Iniesta as an AM and have Messi up on his own if I use a 4-5-1.

Yeah that team really needs Schweinsteiger or another defender with some kind of defensive abilities, haha

Wilbur

Banned
Casillas

Dani Alves
Vidic
Thiago Silva
Lahm

Schweinsteiger
Xavi
Iniesta

Robben
Messi
Ronaldo

Subs bench of Neuer, Kompany, Puyol, Yaya, Busquets, Rooney, Aguero

As good as Cavani is he isn't a level above Suarez. No doubt Cavani is a goal scorer but Suarez has a lot more to his game just like we see for Uruguay every time they play. Suarez to the people in Uruguay is god tier alongside Forlan.

Problem is Cavani is playing semi out of position on the Uruguay team. At least he has every time I have seen them.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
What a master class by Suarez, congrats Liverpool-GAF!

Problem is Cavani is playing semi out of position on the Uruguay team. At least he has every time I have seen them.

Yeah, he plays on the right/wide. :/

Suarez - Forlan - Cavani.

It was different in the CA though?

City fan calling in on 606 saying he wants City to lose on Monday because he wants Mancini out and Pep in.

Now I've heard everything. :lol :lol

Top Bottom