• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Van Persie is better than Rooney.
I genuinely don't think he is. Especially when you consider RVP has been playing at a top level for not much longer than 12 months.

Which was exactly my point. Suarez in the main man.
Why do you think Suarez seems to play so much better for Uruguay?

Fwiw, sometimes the best player is the one sacrificed to play out of his preferred role. No idea if that's the case with Uruguay but with somebody like Rooney for example it is true.

ShogunX

That he's not the best to play out of position?

Suarez is pure quality coming in from wide and the majority of goals he gets normally involve him doing so. Like I said earlier Cavani is a pure goal scorer but Suarez has so much more to his game.

Fwiw, sometimes the best player is the one sacrificed to play out of his preferred role. No idea if that's the case with Uruguay but with somebody like Rooney for example it is true.

He gets much better support when playing with Uruguay and the way they are setup gets the most from him. One week he is paired with Andy Carroll and the next he has support from Cavani and Forlan.

Noirulus

Maybe a few years ago but Alonso right now is a "good" player at best.

I would add Ribéry, Schweinsteiger and Lahm to "world-class". And Cavani is "level below".
"Good at best"? Really? He's still one of the best long passers in football and plays good defense.

RaGe_pt

5 mins till the start of our game! Our starting eleven:
F.C. PORTO: Helton, Sapunaru, Maicon, Otamendi e Alex Sandro; Fernando, Lucho e João Moutinho; Varela, Hulk e James Rodriguez.

PORTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

elseanio

I think there are a host of players who could replace Saurez and make Liverpool better (not gonna make a list..) so for that reason, I can't say he's quite world class yet. Add more goals to his game, and he will set pushing it. What is he, 24? Still plenty of time. I hope he's still here when he peaks.

That said, he was brilliant today. Clearly our best player. Punished 3 mistakes with a sublime hattrick.

RVP has had injury problems..
I know, which is unfortunate for him, but it remains true that until about a year ago he was not playing consistently as a top player, even when he was uninjured.

Robben for example is often injured but plays wonderfully well whenever he gets on the pitch.

From what I remember watching the Copa America, Uruguay basically draw the other team in by pressing the ball and allowing them to get to the point between the half-way line and their goal area. Then they'd up the intensity and all of a sudden, its Cavani-Forlan-Suarez running at 4 players. When you're attacking in those numbers, there are few better than Suarez at exploiting even the slightest mis-step from a defender.

At Liverpool on the other hand, he generally recieves the ball between the wing and the centre, and is expected to either dribble past 2+ defenders, play an incisive one-two, recycle possession or shoot. When you factor in the gulf in quality between Suarez and Downing/Bellamy/Kuyt/Carroll, you can see why the intricate stuff doesn't come off as often as I'd like. Plus, his finishing simply isn't as good forus as it is for Uruguay/was for Ajax. I don't know why this is, I'm not sure anyone does.

And of course defenders in England feel more comfortable leaving Carroll, Downing, Kuyt or Bellamy in a bit of space in order to double up on Suarez than they would if they also had to keep an eye of Forlan or Cavani. This is where having Gerrard close to Suarez comes in very handy, you can't leave either of them with a few yards around the box, as their decision making is too swift and first touch too good to risk having enough time to recover if the ball gets to one of them.

But Pep is taking a break from footie for a while, though. :lol

They told him that. His response was along the lines of 'Yeah, a couple of weeks holiday in the sun. That's what he meant right?'. It was hilarious but they ran out of time so they've told him to call back on monday after the derby :D

Fry

Tumblr quality gif of the goal.

Where is your dignity Yenrot.

ipq8jCQQ98x18.gif

i8LoceCbyRrSr.gif

ps: I'm watching Reservoir Dogs for the first time... damn what a great movie.

Carbonox

Well, injury forced Ronaldo to retire last year and Zidane is Director of Football at R. Madrid. No idea what Maldini is up to though...

I was joking. :p You named an 11 consisting of some players who don't play anymore when we were naming current top 11. :lol

ATF487

God damn it, I went to help someone with school work and missed a rare Liverpool win

All three goals were great today, hopefully this gets him going. It's been frustrating this season, with his race row and "simulation", but he really is an amazing player on his day. Not a bad price we got for him, either

Chelsea will be waiting for him to take over Drogbas wage.

I think he'll want to play Champions League football next year. :)

BAYYYERRNNNNNNNNN

Bojan looking good in this game. I really hope for Roma's sake that they give Luis Enrique more time. They play really pretty football at times.

Wilbur

Banned
If I was to go through positions...

Goalkeeper - Casillas, Buffon, Neuer easy. Reina I've always considered the best but he's had a poor year. Cech would probably be there. Hart not yet, Valdes is overrated.

Full backs - Lahm, Dani Alves, Abidal and still probably Cole. Marcelo's getting there, Sagna's pretty much there. Maicon's lost it.

Centre backs - Vidic, Thiago Silva, Kompany, Puyol, Terry, Chiellini, Hummels. Pepe would be if he stopped being a cunt 100% of the time (as opposed to Terry who's generally alright on the pitch), Pique's immensely talented but doesn't switch on half the time. Ferdinand's been mostly great but lost his pace. Koscielny and Badstuber look promising and Agger is on that second rung.

Centre mids - Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Modric, Xabi Alonso, Schweinsteiger, Yaya, Fabregas. Vidal, Song and Kroos will be there, probably Wilshere if he gets over the injury. Martinez, Marchisio...

Attacking midfielders/wingers - Robben, Ozil, Silva, probably Ribery. Bale, Mata, Di Maria, Munaian, Valencia, Nani, Muller, Kagawa, Götze, Cazorla either will be or are just below.

Strikers - Tevez, RvP, Ronaldo, Messi, Drogba (on form), Rooney, Aguero, Eto'o and Villa. Ibra is too inconsistent, Cavani, Suarez, Soldado, Falcao, Llorente, Higuain, Benzema are below or will be

Just finished Mass Effect 1 for the first time. Really fun game. Just blasted through the main story though, barely touched any of the side stuff.

Onto Mass Effect 2 :D

Scum

Goalkeeper - Casillas, Buffon, Neuer easy. Reina I've always considered the best but he's had a poor year. Cech would probably be there. Hart not yet, Valdes is overrated.

Full backs - Lahm, Dani Alves, Abidal and still probably Cole. Marcelo's getting there, Sagna's pretty much there. Maicon's lost it.

Centre backs - Vidic, Thiago Silva, Kompany, Puyol, Terry, Chiellini, Hummels. Pepe would be if he stopped being a cunt 100% of the time (as opposed to Terry who's generally alright on the pitch), Pique's immensely talented but doesn't switch on half the time. Ferdinand's been mostly great but lost his pace. Koscielny and Badstuber look promising and Agger is on that second rung.

Centre mids - Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Modric, Xabi Alonso, Schweinsteiger, Yaya, Fabregas. Vidal, Song and Kroos will be there, probably Wilshere if he gets over the injury. Martinez, Marchisio...

Attacking midfielders/wingers - Robben, Ozil, Silva, probably Ribery. Bale, Mata, Di Maria, Munaian, Valencia, Nani, Muller, Kagawa, Götze, Cazorla either will be or are just below.

Strikers - Tevez, RvP, Ronaldo, Messi, Drogba (on form), Rooney, Aguero, Eto'o and Villa. Ibra is too inconsistent, Cavani, Suarez, Soldado, Falcao, Llorente, Higuain, Benzema are below or will be

Classy players all around. This will make such an awesome Football Manager squad, though. Just imagine the wage bill! :lol

Salvadora

Yep, Pretty much great choices all round.

Koscielny?

iVnhjDK4cStg1.gif

STAY DOWN THERE. So many better defenders out there. Otherwise your picks aren't half bad. Don't think Reina is of the very top either though. It's clear that none of us watch the french league though. :p

Hasn't falcao been kind of shit this season?

A quick wiki look says 22 goals in 30 matches. Without having watched anything that sounds pretty great.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Koscielny has been excellent in the second half of the season. Him and Kaboul are the most improved in the league IMO.

Koscielny has been excellent in the second half of the season. Him and Kaboul are the most improved in the league IMO.

I won't disagree with him having improved or even that he has been good. But we still got Lucio around despite the team around him being clueless and Sakho is captaining PSG. I sure as fuck would call them up before Koscielny. :p

Top Bottom