• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Kozak

Banned
Brilliant this whole season. Fast, precise, clever, not afraid to take on defenders and is seemingly able to shoot from anywhere. Half his goals this season have been snapped from distance.

Worried we're not going to be able to hold onto him after this season.

He has to stay for our Champions League campaign!! We need to keep a hold of him as long as possible.

Clegg

The Madrid fire sale of 2009 was epic.

They sold Robben, Sneijder, Huntelaar, Negredo and Cannavaro.

I've heard Granero might be on his way out this year too.

Wilbur

Banned

I think Granero's a pretty good squad player.

Thing with Mou it won't just be a fire sale like before, it'll be genuinely because he believes they're not good enough for the squad or he'll get better replacements.

Kaka might be off too.

Robben and Sneijder they could probably have kept and been good at the club. Huntelar, Negredo and an aging Cannavaro however not so much. Didn't even remember Negredo being a Real player.

Anyway I guess Pedro Leon and Gago are also pretty sure to go.

Edit : and Drenthe!

Facism

He has to stay for our Champions League campaign!! We need to keep a hold of him as long as possible.

we're not getting champions league football. Uefa have been corrupt enough to state that even if our highest courts rule in our favour over the matchfixing, they'll still ignore it and exclude us.

True corruption.

Clegg

I think Granero's a pretty good squad player.

Thing with Mou it won't just be a fire sale like before, it'll be genuinely because he believes they're not good enough for the squad or he'll get better replacements.

Kaka might be off too.

Yeah, I can't see Madrid selling many top quality players like they did last time.

But I'm sure there will still be 1 or 2 decent players available to buy.

Granero is a good player that would probably start for most other teams in Spain.

K1LLER7

Don't think Sahin will be sold, think we'll see him used a lot more next season.

United-gaf confident about tommorows game? Think we'll get a draw.

Playing Eufloria while browsing GAF. So relaxing.
3AQmK.gif

Wessiej

If you only see where the Dutch guys are right now in their career...oh Madrid, you suck so hard.

Kozak

Banned
we're not getting champions league football. Uefa have been corrupt enough to state that even if our highest courts rule in our favour over the matchfixing, they'll still ignore it and exclude us.

True corruption.

Wow I had honestly thought it was just for this season. So rubbish :( How is this not a bigger story? I assume UEFA is trying to keep it as quiet as possible...

Messi

List:

5. Arkham Asylum
4. Lost and the Damned
3. Metal Gear Solid 4 (yeah come at me :) )
2. Dead Space
1. Hitman: Blood Money (technicallity it's a port but I played it on 360 and it is epic)

Honourable mentions: uncharted series, heavy rain, red dead, Arkham city, portal, l4d, gears of war series and tomb raider underworld (I really dug this)

Bonus Q: top 5 downloadable games?

Carbonox

Top 4 won't be happening for Newcastle. On one hand it's disappointing but on the other, it's too soon. We need another season, some additions, some European practice in the Europa League and further gelling of the team before I think we're a team who deserves a top 4 spot. I whole-heartedly believe we deserve top 6 so it's amazing that we will be in the top 6 come the end of the season.

That should be the reality for Newcastle fans. Next season, I fully expect a proper charge for top 4.

Kyoufu

Top 4 won't be happening for Newcastle. On one hand it's disappointing but on the other, it's too soon. We need another season, some additions, some European practice in the Europa League and further gelling of the team before I think we're a team who deserves a top 4 spot. I whole-heartedly believe we deserve top 6 so it's amazing that we will be in the top 6 come the end of the season.

That should be the reality for Newcastle fans. Next season, I fully expect a proper charge for top 4.

Let's hope our signings are awesome. Our bench is made up of Championship level players. We've got no striker to fall back on. No defenders. Nothing :lol

Wilbur

Banned
Not a very inspired choice. He's a perfectly fine manager for teams whose intentions are to settle around mid-table. He's done a good job with WBA and he did a great one with Fulham, but there was the surprise factor when they went to the EL final. Taking over Liverpool it seemed he couldn't handle expectations, and he won't be able to with England. The sad thing is I can't really think of anyone else who would be willing to take it that would be better.

Carbonox

Let's hope our signings are awesome. Our bench is made up of Championship level players. We've got no striker to fall back on. No defenders. Nothing :lol

This 100%.

I'd still keep Danny Guthrie, Ryan Taylor and Sylvain Marveaux but everyone else is pony, though we'd still have some youngsters like Vuckic, Abeid, the upcoming Amalfitano, and Sammy Ameobi.

Otherwise yeah, I wouldn't keep a single one of the rest.

Lot of buys we need to make.

Not a very inspired choice. He's a perfectly fine manager for teams whose intentions are to settle around mid-table. He's done a good job with WBA and he did a great one with Fulham, but there was the surprise factor when they went to the EL final. Taking over Liverpool it seemed he couldn't handle expectations, and he won't be able to with England. The sad thing is I can't really think of anyone else who would be willing to take it that would be better.
Really is true.

Who else is there?

scarybore

what in the fuck

I think Hodgson's probably the better fit for the job than Redknapp is, even if he isn't the popular option. That said, I don't think either are particularly amazing choices but I think Hodgson would take more interest in all aspects of the job as opposed to Redknapp.

Why are we assuming they've made a choice? It could be the case that our chairman has told the FA he would not welcome any approaches for our manager until our season is over (unlike West Brom's).

This 100%.

I'd still keep Danny Guthrie, Ryan Taylor and Sylvain Marveaux but everyone else is pony, though we'd still have some youngsters like Vuckic, Abeid, the upcoming Amalfitano, and Sammy Ameobi.

Otherwise yeah, I wouldn't keep a single one of the rest.

Lot of buys we need to make.

Totally agree. When Pardew took over they lined out a 5 year plan, who knows what the ultimate goal of it is but he said a few weeks ago that we're one year ahead of schedule so I fully expect us to make more important signing in the summer then come back and have a proper charge on the top 4. Have to improve on our home preformance against Sunderland though, 6 points off them or bust next season ;)

Can't wait for next season though, we could have a brilliant chance of a great cup run in the League or FA cups. And we've got a Europa spot which will be brilliant, the Europa has been a great tournament this season.

It's an exciting time man :D

Edit: Hodgson for England? I'd take that.

Wilbur

Banned
Really is true.

Who else is there?

I can only think of Pardew really, but he'd be better off staying at Newcastle.

I don't know who I'd rather have out of Hodgson and Redknapp; I think Harry would be shown up for the tactical dinosaur he is when coming up against Brazil or Spain, but Hodgson is likely to have us perform so bluntly and blandly it's ridiculous.

We should just withdraw from the competition and I'll support Ireland.

Bumhead

Banned
Hodgson would be a bad choice based on no other fact that too many people would make it too difficult for him to just get on with the job. The Liverpool situation has unfairly tarnished his reputation.

If its a football decision I've no problem with it, personally.

*hugs*

yes it is

provided of course we don't lose our key players.

and no, Ba is not a key player :p

This season he has been (For the majority anyway)! But I can totally see us going after another high quality striker.

I love him for what he did in the first half of the season and if Pardew can find a way to get in playing to those standards again with Cisse and Ben Arfa then I want to keep him obviously. If we can't make it work with him, Cisse and Arfa I could live with it if he was to leave provided we get a suitable replacement.

Eh? I was talking about whether our chairman told the FA not to ask to speak to Harry until our season is over.
It's possible but the FA's statement suggests that Roy is the only option they're currently considering.

Could be wrong of course, but if they are still looking at more than 1 candidate seriously, it seems strange to go public with this one and say he's the only man they're considering for now.

Carbonox

This season he has been (For the majority anyway)! But I can totally see us going after another high quality striker.

I love him for what he did in the first half of the season and if Pardew can find a way to get in playing to those standards again with Cisse and Ben Arfa then I want to keep him obviously. If we can't make it work with him, Cisse and Arfa I could live with it if he was to leave provided we get a suitable replacement.

Even if we keep Ba, we will still need a good striker or two due to all the commitments for them in the Autumn/Winter. Plus dat lack of depth in the team.

Kyoufu

I think we'll get Bas Dost in to replace Ba.

We'll have to be wary of our midfield too. Everyone wants a piece of that Tiote pie.

Also what Carbohydrate said.

It's possible but the FA's statement suggests that Roy is the only option they're currently considering.

Could be wrong of course, but if they are still looking at more than 1 candidate seriously, it seems strange to go public with this one and say he's the only man they're considering for now.

Why didn't they approach him earlier then?

Top Bottom