• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Posted this in the new pics thread.. but here's what I'll be wearing to work tomorrow to show my support. Bought an away shirt since I'm cheap. :p

What the? Why would you need instagram filters to post your new kit?
Makes me hate City even more...
Mancs all the way!
--------------------
While the Real (or Barca?) supporters recently sang "lololo, segunda division" at supporters of a team that was already relegated. Our supporters sang "you'll never walk alone" together with supporters of an already relegated team:
http://www.borussen.tv/v?1878
Yup, we're awesome like that.
--------------------
Seems like we're keeping an eye on Filip Djuricic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1WqV0vy4Io

But so do Juve, Napoli, Nazio, Arsenal and Utd :(

Messi

--------------------
While the Real (or Barca?) supporters recently sang "lololo, segunda division" at supporters of a team that was already relegated. Our supporters sang "you'll never walk alone" together with supporters of an already relegated team:
http://www.borussen.tv/v?1878
Yup, we're awesome like that.
--------------------

It was Real Madrid.

My prediction for tonight:

Man City 3 (Aguero x2 and Tevez)
Man Utd 1 (ROONEH)

Scum

See Ashe, looks like the FA does want Roy. :p

I recall saying a few weeks ago that what England should really do is abandon the hope of actually playing attractive football and just stick to their strengths, playing a Stoke-esque 4-4-2 with big target men and tough tackling midfielders, so in theory Hodgson is a good choice since that seems to be his favoured tactics.

Unfortunately I doubt Hodgson has the tactical nous or force of will to actually pick the right players, chances are he will stick with the same old England players while trying to force the likes of Rooney, Sturridge, Wilshere, etc. into the aforementioned 4-4-2.

If you ask me there is absolutely no need to lower expectations of the media and the fans; the mere fact that the appointment of Hodgson has been met with some optimism is enough to suggest to me that England ambitions are already in the toilet.

I mentioned this very same thing to mates at work and agree with sohois. England should adopt a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1, but with a new breed of technically gifted players. Midfield packed with players similar to your Gascoignes and Keane/Vieira. Shearer like striker upfront with a Bergkamp playing off him.

Bumhead

Banned
Roy Hodgson and England? Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha too fucking good.

Watch all the journo's who claimed he was good enough for Liverpool say he's not good enough for England.

Or watch all the journo's crucify him and not give him a fair crack at the job because he's unfairly branded a failure just because he wasn't a success at Liverpool.

but with a new breed of technically gifted players. Midfield packed with players similar to your Gascoignes and Keane/Vieira. Shearer like striker upfront with a Bergkamp playing off him.

Right. So where are you finding these players?

Scum

Or watch all the journo's crucify him and not give him a fair crack at the job because he's unfairly branded a failure just because he wasn't a success at Liverpool.

Right. So where are you finding these players?

And so begins the one of the many petty problems England face. What happenend to that Sports/Coaching centre that was being built for footie excellence? Is it still getting done?

Bumhead

Banned
And so begins the one of the many petty problems England face. What happenend to that Sports/Coaching centre that was being built for footie excellence? Is it still getting done?

And how long do you think it's going to take for players to start coming out of that system, even if it is a success?

Scum

And how long do you think it's going to take for players to start coming out of that system, even if it is a success?

I'd say 8-10yrs, like Salazar mentioned. It could have been 4yrs of some decent progress even if the FA had followed Germany's shenanigans of a revamp after England failed to qualify for Euro 2008.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto ‏ @AssouEkotto
Minutes away from my shoulder operation....if I don't wake up please know that I was very happy to have plAyed for the Spurs. LOL LOL LOL

Hahaha, dontcha wish your left back was BAE

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Platini ""Europe has missed Juve, just as the Bianconeri have missed Europe."

Screw Europe, I want my title god dammit. Two wins guys, JUST TWO!!!
It's going to be three draws again isn't it?

City - United: 1-7.

Moobabe

Some of the media reaction to Hodgson's supposed appointment is laughable - he's the FA's "second choice" despite having never made an interest in Redknapp public? And even after denied being approached by the FA?

And the armchair Liverpool fans are striking up again - saying he was incompetent - despite (and correct me if I'm wrong) having a similar points haul at the same stage of the season as Kenny this year? And spending MILLIONS of pounds less?

The media has to be one of the main reasons we don't win anything - they hound managers, players and the like and crucify anyone at the slightest mistake. I look forward to the exact same thing happening this year for everyone to say "I told you Hodgson was crap (despite having a fantastic cv)"

fuenf

Just as i started to like Sauber this season... tsts. Go Kimi!

Uff, German media is really giving it to Robben today. Both Spiegel and Focus published negative articles about him. All german speaking Bayern fans can read the Focus one online: http://www.focus.de/sport/fussball/...bles-rhinozeros-am-scheideweg_aid_745244.html

(It's titled: Sensitive Rhinoceros at the crossroads)

I'm really starting to doubt that he will resign with Bayern (or that Bayern even wants him to, for that matter).

Fady K

I think it's about the user highlighter extension. Your posts and quotes are highlighted so that you can easily spot them looking back. Or of course on the mobile site your posts and quotes have a green background.

Edit: beaten :/

Thanks for the explanation Baconsaurus :)

Barca will always be under pressure. Expectations etc.

With the competition they have in Real Madrid, they don't really get much time off the pressure :/

That's true; that's the tough thing about being the best. I feel it for teams like Barca, tennis players like Djokovic and Nadal, etc. Nothing beats being the underdog.

This match should not have made me this emotional :( I don't want pep to leave

Tell me about it...I did not think it would feel this bad at first.

MGS4 is the greatest game of this generation

Haha good taste Blablurn :) Nice to see more footygaffer MGS4 nuts.

Well my friend calls him the right-footed
shitter
Messi. lol.

Glad Afellay finally got some game time, I think he still has potential to be a good player for us, very unfortunate with the injuries, luckily only cost 3mil though. Messi getting 2 goals and 2 assists after that bad week helps too.

My face always went into sad-mode when ever the camera showed Pep. Can't believe he won't be on that bench for us anymore. :(

Shittier? That sucks. We have enough shitty players at Chelsea :p Maybe he'll make a good transition?

Let's hope Tito does well next season. If he can win the league for instance, hats off to the guy. Also happy to see Messi smiling again after what seemed like an ETERNITY of a bad week for the guy.

It's strange somebody as nice as Fady would wish something as horrible as City well.

Especially when those two players are quite heavily linked with Chelsea!

Haha well I honestly think United can easily swoop both. Kagawa seems to be interested in United based on reports, and Hazard seems to be flattered by Ferguson's interest in him.

It's easily up there, but my favorite must be Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect or Bioshock.

Great taste Fry ^_^

Some of the media reaction to Hodgson's supposed appointment is laughable - he's the FA's "second choice" despite having never made an interest in Redknapp public? And even after denied being approached by the FA?"

Yeah, just because the press didn't get their way with 'Appy 'Arry. Second choice, my arse. Redknapp is a tactically limited manager that has no business coaching at international level.

Just as i started to like Sauber this season... tsts. Go Kimi!

Uff, German media is really giving it to Robben today. Both Spiegel and Focus published negative articles about him. All german speaking Bayern fans can read the Focus one online: http://www.focus.de/sport/fussball/...bles-rhinozeros-am-scheideweg_aid_745244.html

(It's titled: Sensitive Rhinoceros at the crossroads)

I'm really starting to doubt that he will resign with Bayern (or that Bayern even wants him to, for that matter).

I don't give two craps about Bauern, but I'd love for him to gtfo and make way for Müller/Shakira. I'm convinced that Müller's form is stagnant this season because he rarely gets to play on the right flank - in contrast to the national team where he's always brilliant even this season; he's really important for us.
------------edit--------
In retrospect I'd say that MGS4 was a disappointment..
(and my copy is signed by Kojima himself...)

Clegg

More rumours about Gylfi Sigurosson coming to United. I can't see both coming to United. They play in very similar positions to each other.

Fady K

They call him McRelegator in Birmingham.

7tolru.jpg

:lol!!!!! My goodness!

Of course, I hope Aston Villa avoid relegation and get rid of him. They deserve far better. All the clubs do.

so I just finished the walking dead game ep 1, it was a cool little story.

All of you guys should try Episode 1 of the new Walking Dead game from Telltale. It's awesome. 5 bucks wont kill you.

Have you guys played any other Telltale games? I LOVE THEM.

Theres a game? Wtf?

It's apparently great too :D!

You should play it, it has great writing. I'm serious (just don't touch the mute girl's story first. That one's a droll.)

At the rate those fuckers at the AnimeGAF thread post, probably!

It's a PC game yeah? What am I getting myself into :lol

Posted this in the new pics thread.. but here's what I'll be wearing to work tomorrow to show my support. Bought an away shirt since I'm cheap. :p

8bf40d40914a11e1ab011231381052c0_7.jpg

209c4c38914a11e1ab011231381052c0_7.jpg

Nice kit man :)!

Meier, you kind of look a little like Kolarov. :p

LOL. I was going to say the same thing!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's a PC game yeah? What am I getting myself into :lol
Just don't do it while your wife's around. lol

I think the best option is to go for the legless girl first. She's a fun character and the writing in that one is decent, reminiscent of what high school romances are. But yeah, don't play it with other people around lolol. Also: learn to love the multiple save files.

Fady K

Oh motherfucking shit fuck it's today

I feel the same way. I wish it never came around :(

AHHHHHH IM SO NERVOUS AHHHHHHHH I DON'T WANT TO CRY TONIGHT

I can imagine how crazy this game is for you guys. I hope it'll be a cracker, as you all like to say. I expect a United win or draw at worst. Because City will have to attack, United won't as much, and can break in a killer way.

If City can actually win today, then wow.

Oh, and MGS4 is awful and anyone who thinks so is wrong. Sorry Fady :(

Haha no need to apologize, I can understand, very easily in fact, why anyone would not like MGS4 at all.

MGS3 4 LIFE

Best videogame ending ever.

Kyoufu

Remember Kyoufu, There's no such thing as a draw in cricket!

We need 9 points for CL. We're so boned dude. So boned. Losing at Wigan killed our hopes of 3rd, and with our poor goal difference getting 4th will be a stretch.

Though to be honest, I'm looking forward to Europa. Just hope we don't get CL quality teams in the 2nd round if we're going to go far.

The most important thing is strengthening our squad in the summer. We really need top 4 quality players.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The most important thing is strengthening our squad in the summer. We really need top 4 quality players.

This is the key thing for all of the top 4 contenders. Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle all need to improve their squads. Marin and Podolski are already done, there could be more deals announced before the end of the season.

Top Bottom