• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Well, City have Aguero, Dzeko, Balotelli and Tevez. They didn't need another striker at the start of the season.

Chelsea spent £50m on Torres and are still trying to get their moneys worth from him. Barca spent all their money on Cesc and Sanchez. And Real have Ronaldo, Higuain and Benzema.

Atletico had sold Forlan and Aguero, 2 amazing strikers. They had the money to throw at Falcao.

I don't think Mourinho counts Ronaldo as one of his strikers. He still wants a third striker IIRC?

Atletico sold one amazing striker :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Forlan is amazing when he plays for the national team and he was amazing at Atletico.

At every other club he flopped :|

I used to like him.
0JawW.gif

Now I don't even bother buying him in FIFA
0JawW.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It's bad enough that I have to press three buttons or more to score a goal*
6acFT.gif

*hit the post if it's Juve

Meier

Wow, Porto bought Falcao for 4 million and sold him for 40 million 2 years later. Talk about ROI. :O I sold him fairly early in FM11 along with Hulk with sell-on clauses to bring in younger talent (Lucas, Khouma Babacar).

Wow, Porto bought Falcao for 4 million and sold him for 40 million 2 years later. Talk about ROI. :O I sold him fairly early in FM11 along with Hulk with sell-on clauses to bring in younger talent (Lucas, Khouma Babacar).

That is nothing. They bought Aly Cissokho for 300.000 and sold him for 15 million 6 months later.

Salazar

For cross-over rugby/futbol-GAF: hoping Michael Lynagh recovers after what appears to have been a stroke.

Incidentally, good on LFC Res for getting the draw. I told you we would chuck the lead.

Choc

Banned
Premier League Match Appointments

Arsenal vs Chelsea = Mike Dean

Villa vs Sunderland = A Taylor

Rovers vs Norwich = Kevin Friend

Bolton vs Swansea = Phil Dowd

Fulham vs Wigan = Lee Probert

Newcastle vs Stoke = Andre Marriner

QPR vs Tottenham = Mark Clattenburg

Liverpool vs WBA = Neil Swarbrick

Wolves vs City = Lee Mason

Clegg

For cross-over rugby/futbol-GAF: hoping Michael Lynagh recovers after what appears to have been a stroke.

Incidentally, good on LFC Res for getting the draw. I told you we would chuck the lead.

Tim Horan has tweeted that Lynagh is up and walking again.

That has to be a good sign.

Meier

That is nothing. They bought Aly Cissokho for 300.000 and sold him for 15 million 6 months later.
Plus a 20% profit sell-on clause. Hot damn. Wiki said they paid €300k for 60% of his rights from Vit Setubal. I wonder how much they got if anything from that €15 million.

I posted the other night one of my most profitable FM12 transfers. $140k for a French MF that I turned into $30 million plus 50% sell on clause to Barca. Definitely didn't turn him over as fast as Cissokho, hah.

Choc

Banned
Premier League Match Appointments

Arsenal vs Chelsea = Mike Dean

Villa vs Sunderland = A Taylor

Rovers vs Norwich = Kevin Friend

Bolton vs Swansea = Phil Dowd

Fulham vs Wigan = Lee Probert

Newcastle vs Stoke = Andre Marriner

QPR vs Tottenham = Mark Clattenburg

Liverpool vs WBA = Neil Swarbrick

Wolves vs City = Lee Mason

Arnie

Watched the Sporting game but went out for a run so I didn't respond. I was hugely impressed with Diego Capell, or whatever his name is, he's fucking magic with the ball at his feet. Can turn really well, can play under pressure and can dribble with the ball stuck to his feet. That finish was something too.

Lovely header from Insua, suppose that makes up for his mistake in both giving away the free kick which led to the goal, and having a helping hand in the goal itself. He was one of the best players on the pitch before that too.

GorillaJu

Watched the Sporting game but went out for a run so I didn't respond. I was hugely impressed with Diego Capell, or whatever his name is, he's fucking magic with the ball at his feet. Can turn really well, can play under pressure and can dribble with the ball stuck to his feet. That finish was something too.

Lovely header from Insua, suppose that makes up for his mistake in both giving away the free kick which led to the goal, and having a helping hand in the goal itself. He was one of the best players on the pitch before that too.

I always liked Insua. He may not be good enough for Liverpool but he's a monster physically and loves attacking the goal.

Clegg

Is he really that good though?

Bale is a very good player.

But not to the level that the media are hyping him.

Also, I'm unsure as to where Barca would actually play him.

The article says that he'd replace Abidal at LB but Bale is surely more of a winger now.

Wilbur

Banned
Bale is a very good player.

But not to the level that the media are hyping him.

Also, I'm unsure as to where Barca would actually play him.

If it's to cover for Abidal then I think he has to grow into the role a little more. He hasn't played enough top level football at left back.

Arnie

So, a year off, and the wrong European club, but the Guardian were nearly right.
Every time Falcao scores like that my heart dies a little :(
That's exactly how I thought I'd feel about Torres when he left. Then he didn't score. And when he does i'm actually slightly happy for him. I can't imagine what I'd be like if Torres was as prolific for Chelsea as he was for us, I'd probably be in a vacant dumpster somewhere, eyes dilated, with a needle sticking out of my arm. Anything to dull the pain.
Is he really that good though?

I think so. He's the player we love to hate, because the hyperbole gains as much pace as he does, but he's a genuine game changer and has the potential to become the best left winger in the world. Hell, he doesn't even need to be on the wing.

When Barca were one down, and Chelsea sat behind the ball and the ball gets stroked wide to Iniesta on the left, you know it's coming back. No disrespect to Iniesta, but in that position Bale's attacking Ivanovic and he's going to get in at least once.

rvy

Banned
nah, FIFA is still pretty terrible year after year, PES11 (post patch) is much better. PES12 is a turd too sadly.

Best Ronaldo render in the "next worst PES game ever". More news tomorrow at 11 AM (UK), stay tuned for another blunder.

Top Bottom