• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

ElyrionX

Yeah FIFA 12 is a landmark football game. Tool a huge amount of balls to go with the new defending system but it was worth it. Football has never felt more realistic.

Carbonox

"Arsenal are planning a £7million move for Montpellier defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa. (Daily Mirror)"

I hope this is true. The guy was our main defensive target in January but if Arsenal go for him, it makes it all the more likely we can get Vertonghen.

Lightning

Banned
I hope this is true. The guy was our main defensive target in January but if Arsenal go for him, it makes it all the more likely we can get Vertonghen.
I don't think we need him. I would rather us get rid of Andre Santos and replace him with Leighton Baines.

Kos and Vermaelen with Per are good enough for CB's. We don't need more quality there, imo. Our fullbacks are more important.

Fergie's had a word with Ashley apparently.

I hope the word was cunt

clinton.jpg

I'd love Vertonghen at Liverpool, but I hear Scott Dann is available this summer..
Sorry Jeff

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
What the hell is going on behind him O_O

rodvik said:
He will. When Juve knock City out of the Champions league next season because he got himself sent off :)
Tl9Hu.gif

MPW said:
lol yes

i would love to see him go to juve :D

It would be hilarious. He won't get along with Conte or the fans.

Poor Kuszczak. Easy to forget how good a shot-stopper he was at West Brom and before his torrid late appearances at United. At least he's doing well in the Championship these days.

Best goal was easy. Bergkamp's wonderous moment has everything: technique, vision, composure - shot through with clinical ease. A perfect moment of football.

Paired him up front with van Nistelrooy in my best team, too. Fergie wishes the Rooney-Chicharito partnership could ever touch that fantasy greatness. Also good to see Dennis Irwin recognized. Not only massively reliable, but the PL's best ever full-back in my mind.

RaGe_pt

Wow, Porto bought Falcao for 4 million and sold him for 40 million 2 years later. Talk about ROI. :O I sold him fairly early in FM11 along with Hulk with sell-on clauses to bring in younger talent (Lucas, Khouma Babacar).

That's one of our trademarks. We find new talents for cheap prices, make them worldclass players and sell them for millions.
Deco was sold to Barça for 25 million euros
Ricardo Carvalho to Chelsea for 30 million
Bosingwa to Chelsea for 20 million
Anderson to Man Utd for 36.5 million
Falcao to Atletico for 40 million
Cissokho to Lyon for 15 million (We bought this guys for 300.000 euros and sold him after 6 months)
Lisandro Lopez to Lyon for 22 million euros.
And many more examples. And yet we are able to win our league almost every year (in the past 20 years we won like 14 league titles) and we manage to win international titles as well.

LegoArmo

I don't think we need him. I would rather us get rid of Andre Santos and replace him with Leighton Baines.

Kos and Vermaelen with Per are good enough for CB's. We don't need more quality there, imo. Our fullbacks are more important.

3 good (questionable about Per) centre backs isn't really enough, in my opinion.

Also, Anderson did not cost 36.5m.

Fergie's had a word with Ashley apparently.

I hope the word was cunt

Yeah I just saw that on SSN. Ferguson said "he understands where we come from and hopefully it makes a difference". He said that he thought it was a clear goalscoring opportunity and that although Young overdid the attempt to get the penalty, he wasn't sure he was actually trying to get a penalty. And then he went on about Bayern vs Real, their "diving and rolling about" (also mentioning Chelsea) and how ridiculous it was "in relation to what Young has been accused of in the press and because we are Man Utd, there's no doubt about that".

Talking about footie games of the past, my fondest memories where with this one:

Issproevo.jpg

I spend countless hours playing that on the ps1 during my student/uni life. Those were the days.

GorillaJu

Yeah I just saw that on SSN. Ferguson said "he understands where we come from and hopefully it makes a difference". He said that he thought it was a clear goalscoring opportunity and that although Young overdid the attempt to get the penalty, he wasn't sure he was actually trying to get a penalty. And then he went on about Bayern vs Real, their "diving and rolling about" (also mentioning Chelsea) and how ridiculous it was "in relation to what Young has been accused of in the press and because we are Man Utd, there's no doubt about that".

Lovely stuff. You couldn't find that kind of hypocrisy even if you raided a republican senator's closet.

Deco was sold to Barça for 25 million euros
Ricardo Carvalho to Chelsea for 30 million
Bosingwa to Chelsea for 20 million
Anderson to Man Utd for 36.5 million
Falcao to Atletico for 40 million
Cissokho to Lyon for 15 million (We bought this guys for 300.000 euros and sold him after 6 months)
Lisandro Lopez to Lyon for 22 million euros.

Good god, there are some fine businessmen at that club.

Not that Falcao, Carvalho aren't good business, but the difference is that those players actually brought good value to their new clubs.

Wilbur

Banned

Starts off so promising and then descends into excusing Young. Bah, Fergie

Splatt

Talking about footie games of the past, my fondest memories where with this one:

Issproevo.jpg

I spend countless hours playing that on the ps1 during my student/uni life. Those were the days.

Master league was boss in here. I always bought Babangida at the start and then proceeded to destroy the league with his pace :D

I've still got FIFA Soccer 96, too. Ajax are unbeatable on that game.

The funny thing is it still beats out FIFA at the whole 'making you feel like you've won something' game. Your players run around the pitch, you get a menu screen with your team's name with poorly rendered fireworks and you get a personal 'well done' from Michael Owen himself. The last time I won a championship on FIFA I was informed that Niang was back from injury. Pfft.

And yes, the N64 version of ISS was incredible.

Keio

For a Finer World
Winning Eleven games patched with full Premier League stuff were amazing; I think it was a Winning Eleven 7 patch with Beautiful Day, We Are The Champions etc. added in (for highlights, championships etc.). On my PS2 I though football games couldn't get any better. Maybe I was right.

Nah, FIFA 12 is amazing. Tactical defending really adds a new form of gameplay. Regarding the "sometimes it's easy, sometimes hard" thing, I think there seems to be some sort of momentum thing built in (but hidden from view). In Ultimate Team you actually see squad morale & chemistry, but that stuff is hidden when playing normally. So each player has form etc. which also changes during the game. New players seem to take a while to settle; when I brought Alexis Sanchez to Newcastle he was terrible for about 10 games, but suddenly he then started to gel with the team and scored on a rainy night in Stoke.

Or maybe I just have a vivid imagination :D Which makes football video games 1000x better. I still imagine myself speaking at press conferences and giving the halftime team talk :D

Carbonox

Winning Eleven games patched with full Premier League stuff were amazing; I think it was a Winning Eleven 7 patch with Beautiful Day, We Are The Champions etc. added in (for highlights, championships etc.). On my PS2 I though football games couldn't get any better. Maybe I was right.

Nah, FIFA 12 is amazing. Tactical defending really adds a new form of gameplay. Regarding the "sometimes it's easy, sometimes hard" thing, I think there seems to be some sort of momentum thing built in (but hidden from view). In Ultimate Team you actually see squad morale & chemistry, but that stuff is hidden when playing normally. So each player has form etc. which also changes during the game. New players seem to take a while to settle; when I brought Alexis Sanchez to Newcastle he was terrible for about 10 games, but suddenly he then started to gel with the team and scored on a rainy night in Stoke.

Or maybe I just have a vivid imagination :D Which makes football video games 1000x better. I still imagine myself speaking at press conferences and giving the halftime team talk :D

Sanchez to Newcastle? Haha, nice. One day perhaps. D:

I bought Bas Dost. 4 goals in 6 games. Gelled pretty quickly.

Pachimari

madrid needs to buy dortmund's rb and lb

dortmund can have arbeloa, marcelo + cash

omfg i remember that

gerrard was a beast in the game as well

Not everything is quite what it seems at Bayern

Mario Gomez's late goal has changed the complexion of the tie and served as timely reminder of Bayern's mental toughness. But the Bavarians' much-feared psychological strength is more fragile than it seems. This season, they've recovered only once after going behind, a tendency that doesn't bode well for next Wednesday's trip to the Bernabeu. In addition, a very public disagreement between Arjen Robben and Ribéry over the right to take a free kick revealed a considerable amount of dressing-room tension. Even the last-minute win couldn't placate the Frenchman. Sport-Bild reported that Ribéry continued the argument more forcefully in the changing room after the final whistle; teammates had to separate the two by force. The board ordered both players in for a dressing down on Wednesday but decided to bury the incident for fear of upsetting either party. One or two early goals from Madrid in the second leg could well bring those tensions out in the open again.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20120419/cl-review/#ixzz1sYKGuApE

hmmm
Why would you exchange Marcelo for anyone? Besides Arbeloa is one of our own, he is from our cantera and bleeds madridismo. Come on seriously..

Clegg

Yep.

And fuck him. And that leech prick Mino.

smh at Owen being a candidate. No, just no. Definitely not at this stage.

TBH I think Owen is absoutely worthless at this stage of his career. He is broken down from all his injuries and wasn't exactly in good form before his injury either.

But then again Hernandez is in poor form, Welbeck has only scored 1 goal in 10 games and SAF isn't picking Berba. We may need Owen before the end of the season.

I think United may look for another striker in the summer. Berba is probably leaving and Owen is a perma crock. I'm not sure going into a new season with Rooney, Hernandez and Welbeck as our main strikers is a good idea. Welbeck and Chicha are full of potential but I think United might need a more experienced striker to back up Rooney.

Carbonox

World Class difficulty treble in Career Mode!
photo.JPG

Bas Dost could fit nicely into Newcastle. He's had a few amazing games in the league.

Dat treble.

Bas Dost reminds me of Andy Carroll in his prime. Strong, tall, good in the air, good at holding the ball etc. Might be a worthy back up to Cisse/Ba. We will need a third good striker anyway for Europe. Dost might not be too expensive either. Giroud is my number one though but that will never happen. We're still linked with him though. Aston Villa are the latest team to be linked also. :lol :lol :lol They have zero chance of getting anyone remotely as decent. Delirious fools.

#Perchfootballer is trending on Twitter haha.

In other news, Tiote has said his future is at Newcastle. Yey!

Perchinio is mint.

Yeah I saw Tiote's comments earlier. Though I think it's only cos we're pretty much in Europe now haha. If we didn't finish in a Europe spot, he would have probably gone Chelsea. Heck, he still might. He's the most suitable DM in the league for them I think.

spidye

Dat treble.

Bas Dost reminds me of Andy Carroll in his prime. Strong, tall, good in the air, good at holding the ball etc. Might be a worthy back up to Cisse/Ba. We will need a third good striker anyway for Europe. Dost might not be too expensive either. Giroud is my number one though but that will never happen. We're still linked with him though. Aston Villa are the latest team to be linked also. :lol :lol :lol They have zero chance of getting anyone remotely as decent. Delirious fools.

Perchinio is mint.

Yeah I saw Tiote's comments earlier. Though I think it's only cos we're pretty much in Europe now haha. If we didn't finish in a Europe spot, he would have probably gone Chelsea. Heck, he still might. He's the most suitable DM in the league for them I think.

isn't giroud linked with every club in europe?

Carbonox

isn't giroud linked with every club in europe?

So far I only saw links with Newcastle and Arsenal. Now Aston Villa but everyone can ignore that one.

Don't know who else is credited with an interest but the guy is the hottest striker in France right now so no doubt many big clubs are looking at him.

Clegg

ESPN are reporting that a fight broke out between Robben and Ribery during the half time interval of the Bayern/Madrid game.

Apparently Robben came out for the 2nd half with a bruise under his eye.

Pachimari

I'm getting really warmed up and excited about El Clásico!

Aitor Karanka said this at today's press conference:

"We're going to attack and score goals."

My prediction:
FC Barcelona 2 - 3 Real Madrid C.F.

ZPQuJ.jpg

Top Bottom