• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Shame it looks like NSMB/NSMB WII did.

It was always going to. Familiarity is the No.1 selling point for the franchise.

Anyway, please god let us beat QPR today. Sounds like we will be missing a few players but we need to show a bit of bottle. I'll take a 1-0 with a goal that Paddy Kenny slaps into his own net as long as we fight for it.

ONW9P.jpg

/oh, a sopcast app for Android was also released a few days ago :O

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Lol. Not this again.

FadyK, enjoy the Nou Camp. I'm jealous and I don't even like Barcelona!! My gf and I are already discussing our next trip together and are currently thinking Argentina. But I'm sure I could talk her into going back to Spain to see Real Madrid and Barcelona play. :) I really want a two week trip to Europe during some CL games and seeing 6-8 matches in that time period. It would be expensive but so so worth it.

AWESOME ANIMALS! What's up buddy! Sounds like you're having fun :p

I did visit the Barcelona Megastore by Camp Nou and it was awesome! 2 floors of awesome Barca merchandise.
Haha would love to see Irish-Messi's face when he first discovered this store :p

Enjoy your time Fady. Let's hope for your sake we get a great game this time.

Lightning

Banned
Not that long now until game time! C-mon Van Persie and put an end to Chelsea's Premier League season!!!!!!

Stoke can throw a spanner in the works with a great win at Newcastle!

neoanarch

HEADS UP Time Warner Cable subscribers. They added these channels to their Streaming APP

Web/Ipad/Android iirc.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/20/time-warner-cable-brings-espn-fox-and-turner-sports-live-stream/

New York City (except for Hudson Valley) - ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, YES, SNY, MSG, MSG+, MLB Network, NBA TV, NHL Network

Dallas - ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Fox Sports Southwest, MLB Network, NBA TV, NHL Network

Charlotte - ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Fox Sports Carolinas, SportSouth, MLB Network, NBA TV, NHL Network

Watch ESPN is ace, but a nice alternative for ESPN at least. wish it included Fox Soccer, now that would be really cool.

AWESOME ANIMALS! What's up buddy! Sounds like you're having fun :p

I've been up for close to 24 hours at this point. I'm sick of airports and I'm mad at myself for being cheap and not booking a direct flight right now. I should be home in 2.5-3 hrs time and then I'm going to pass out for like 18 hrs. I bet I stay awake for the Villa game though.

Stimpy

Story

Anton Ferdinand talking about the abuse he's been getting from various supporters since he accused JT of racial abuse, I bet these same supporters probably boo John Terry when they are playing Chelsea, I swear some supporters act like they are at a fucking pantomime when they watch football, morons.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
This is fucking awesome.

Five fans were allowed to train with the first team. The editing alone is worth watching the video for :p

Oh and one of them is Ibra.

Sorry

Yenrot said:
The Irish Messi, you say?

Is he going to the Euros? :p I'm backing the Irish this time. Forza ROI!

I've been up for close to 24 hours at this point. I'm sick of airports and I'm mad at myself for being cheap and not booking a direct flight right now. I should be home in 2.5-3 hrs time and then I'm going to pass out for like 18 hrs. I bet I stay awake for the Villa game though.

What about El Clásico?
2QJQ9.gif

Yurt have you seen the allegations that merda ex-Siena player levelled against Conte? My instinct is bullshit, but I was wondering your thoughts. Worse case scenario it's a possible ban for not reporting, right?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yurt have you seen the allegations that merda ex-Siena player levelled against Conte? My instinct is bullshit, but I was wondering your thoughts. Worse case scenario it's a possible ban for not reporting, right?

Yeah, a possible 12 month ban for failing to report it. But I think it's going to be hard to prove he knew that one of his players was betting on games or whatever. And Carobbio didn't even play under him..

Baseless accusations make front pages in Berlusconi's papers. The mind games are on!

berlusconi2.jpg

panty

so... Many.. Kids... I'm..fainting..

I might make it for the second half...

Oh and this new neogaf mobile is fucking sweet, works like a charm. *thumbs up*

Possible 12 month ban for failing to report it. But I think it's going to be hard to prove he knew that one of his players was betting on games or whatever.

Baseless accusations make front pages in Berlusconi's papers. The mind games are on!

berlusconi2.jpg

I want to hear some Conte fucking with other teams more. Talking about how Pirlo is injured or we're going to field a 4-2-3-1 or something. Or, we should convince De Ceglie to try and seduce la signorina Berlusconi. That'd be amazing.

Edit: Great, now I'm getting Pizza Express ads and I kind of want pizza now. Our debate has backfired.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I want to hear some Conte fucking with other teams more. Talking about how Pirlo is injured or we're going to field a 4-2-3-1 or something. Or, we should convince De Ceglie to try and seduce la signorina Berlusconi. That'd be amazing.

Edit: Great, now I'm getting Pizza Express ads and I kind of want pizza now. Our debate has backfired.
0AzwVl.jpg

Proper paper>

La Stampa: No direct involvement. Nothing criminal. He might be called to clear things at the end of the season.

The end.

By the way, 11 clubs' names have cropped up in the betting investigation including Napoli & Inter. But that wasn't front page worthy :p :p

Proper paper>

La Stampa: No direct involvement. Nothing criminal. He might be called to clear things at the end of the season.

The end.

By the way, 11 clubs' names have cropped up in the betting investigation including Napoli & Inter. But that wasn't front page worthy :p :p

But is it Kermit meme worthy?

Fady K

A long multi-quote post incoming! I referred to Barcelona as a country earlier, my bad, I clearly meant City >_< It really is beautiful and peaceful, and I hope to share a bunch of photos with you guys when I return. The weather is great too, averaging at 13-14 degrees celsius. Barely anyone speaks English though, so that's a definite downside for tourists. Surprisingly, in the UAE, not knowing a word of Arabic is not a problem as English is known all over the place. City is quite price though! Our trip from the airport to the hotel was about a half hour long, yet the taxi far was 32 Euros :/!!! The taxi driver did look an awful lot like Pepe Reina, and mentioned that during classicos the city becomes a ghost town, with most people watching the game in their homes/cafes/shops or in the stadium itself. The wonderful thing about the hotel is that Camp Nou is a half hour walk away. I was not able to enter the stadium yet due to the first team training yesterday, but the amount of fans waiting outside just to have a quick peek at each player driving into the stadium was insane.

Ok I am gone, bye fady

I know you almost left Messi, it's good to still have you here. I did want to share this piece of advice with you regarding the net addiction and I hope it helps - I used to be hugely addicted to it as well - posting on GAF especially - but what helped me big time was simply posting in far fewer threads, eliminating the need to keep checking on newer posts and responses and keeping the cycle going. The beautiful thing about Footygaf is that it is a single thread and when you focus on posting on it, it is far easier and manageable. I hope that you eventually overcome this problem and have a healthier balance in life as you are a special part of this wonderful thread.

lol Fady. love u <3

<3 <3 And I see you got an avatar :0! He deserved it for that last gasp winner; makes up for those easier chances that he missed. Great game!

BTW, Fady is probably having a civil war within his brain

Haha it was actually more pleasant than I thought! But it did feel weird at times too. Overall it was an experience I never felt before! And I only have a few days to prepare myself before it happens again.

Who is Fady rooting for?

It was like being, I imagine, in the middle of a fight between my mom and wife. (Not married, but I imagine this to be the case :p)

If I had to guess, Fady supports Chelsea more. Might be the PL talk in here but I bet he's rooting for them more. Love you Fady <3

Also neutrals: we all agree Ramires is our favourite Chelsea player right?

Haha I support both so equally it's unbelievable. This was the game to test my true loyalties but I truly ended up supporting each equally. Football is so much easier to watch when you are less tense, that's for sure >_<

Ramires has been very, very good in the last couple of games, but he did have a very frustrating run before it! Always a joy to see him at his best.

So I ask again...who STILL thinks that AVB should've stayed?

As one of AVB's biggest supporters back in the day, it was most definitely the right decision to let him go. Di Matteo's Chelsea is far more interesting and more difficult to predict. Also, in thirteen games, he has won 10, drew 2, lost 1. Insane.

Somewhere Fady is arguing with himself in a room

It was a weird feeling, I'll give you that :p It would be the equivalent of you watching the Blackburn team split into two teams and playing one another in a friendly :p

More importantly, Fady, are you happy/sad about this result. You better be sad.

Hey there FootballFan ^_^! I was happy and sad at the same time, a mix of emotions I have never felt towards a football match. Messi could have done a lot better I felt, and Barca did get unlucky a few times. They could have also killed the game if they had better finishing. I look forward to the second leg and I expect it to be a more exciting game!

He's debating whether he's happy or sad about this result.

Haha! It was definitely interesting to experience :p Don't any of you guys love two teams equally? Am I the only one :p?

Honestly, winning has give me sort of a weird feeling. I now sort of believe we can do it, and it feels like I'm building myself up to be knocked down. Even if we do get beat I'm happy we were able to keep them at bay at the Bridge. Not bad for a team who by our standards have had a poor season and are sitting at 6th.

Good read Kyle! I was especially surprised by the defense for the most part, Cahill in particular! I did want to comment on how Chelsea changed since the AVB days though. I can't get over how different and more interesting they have become under him. The defence is much better, more players are playing, the formations are not always the same, the substitutions usually make sense, even Cech has been better. As AVB is not our coach heading into the Arsenal clash at the Emirates, I am actually looking forward to the match even more. It will be tough as hell, but I'll be surprised if our team will be a pushover to Arsenal like they were at Stamford Bridge.

I remember watching that game and rooting for Arsenal. I like just about any English team beating Barcelona. They're probably my most disliked team.

I must be one of the very few Chelsealona fans of this planet :p

Any God Of War fans in here? Was kinda hoping they'd ditch Kratos this time out, but oh well.

Big fan here! I do wonder what the gameplay will be like since it will be the first game, chronologically speaking. It'll be a tough test for Sony Santa Monica.

If you don't like PSP then it must just be you don't like portables. PSP is god-tier in terms of library size and depth. Love that system.

Vita is working out super well for me, too. They're still rare in the wild though

There's a post I fully agree with. The PSP is indeed brilliant, many gems on the system. I expect the Vita to follow suit. Slow start, decent future hopefully. I am about to start that horror game Corpse Party on the PSP, looks great.

What a nice thing to do!

Imagine if Fady was a footballer, he'd write EVERYONE back and visit as many people as he could.

Those Newcastle fans are lucky! You live in Manchester don't you? Start writing weekly letters to Aguero bro!! I would definitely do my best to please everyone if I was a footballer :p

GAF! Just been speaking to Mike Summerbee and his wife!! City LEGEND and master Sky Sports pundit.

I feel my multiquotes lack the epicness of Fadys

Jeff do you think Blackburn may make the cut and stick around? Were you serious about watching another Premier League team as well next season? I hope Blackburn survive -_-

No one can rival Fady in the multi quote department.

I hope you guys enjoyed this one :p

Where the fuck is he? I need his reaction to the Chelsea/Barca game or else I fear my life will never be complete.

WJD, how are you doing? I'm at Barcelona bro! Took my younger brother for a small vacation, we are excited about going to see the Barca-Madrid clash at Camp Nou today, I'll try to grab some good photos! We should be back for the Barca Chelsea clash, God willing. Watching Chelsea host Barcelona definitely the weirdest football experience for me yet. I put up a lot of notes about why above. How do you feel about that 20th trophy coming up? I know it's not a given yet, but it's close and it'll be hard for United to lose enough points and City to gain enough of them.

That's awesome Fady. Have fun at the game.

I'm just going to assume that football manager piracy thread. Stay out of sales age and piracy threads. :(

Thanks Woodenlung :) I'll be streaming the Arsenal-Chelsea game first though! I hope it goes well :0!! Sales-age and piracy threads were always easy traps for getting banned. The one single time I got banned in GAF in the last 6 years was due to a sales thread >_<

Don't see how any Madrid fan can be excited for tomorrow.

Another 90 minutes of suffering.

Personally, I am scared as hell of Madrid. They can even go for a draw and that would be hell for Barca. If you guys win the league though, it will be deserved, no question about that.

FadyK, enjoy the Nou Camp. I'm jealous and I don't even like Barcelona!! My gf and I are already discussing our next trip together and are currently thinking Argentina. But I'm sure I could talk her into going back to Spain to see Real Madrid and Barcelona play. :) I really want a two week trip to Europe during some CL games and seeing 6-8 matches in that time period. It would be expensive but so so worth it.

Thank you Awesome Animals :) Argentina??? Wow, sounds awesome. I think you guys would LOVE Spain as well. It really is beautiful! A bit pricey! But if you're here for a short while like I am it should be great :) If you go to Barcelona in particular let me know and I'll send you links on some of the tours here. Seeing 6-8 matches over the course of 2 weeks sounds dreamlike!

Congrats dude, wait until you see the game. It is CRAZZZZZY. Mind me asking how much the tickets for the game cost you and did you just go up to the ticket office and get them?

Enjoy fady.

I wish you were here Messi!! Thanks bro :) I'm just DYIIIIIIIIIIIING to see Messi play in front of my eyes. Hell, I am dying to see him warm up. Of all the famous people of this world, he is the one I want to see the most. The ticket was WAY too expensive though!
Nearly 800 Euros!!!! :/!!!!! It took a bit of saving.
How much do you usually pay? By the way I think my ticket was expensive due to the fact that tickets were sold out when I got them >_> Had to pay a higher price. Don't think I'll be able to pay that kind of money for a ticket again ;_; Next time I'd go for tickets far earlier than I did for this clash.

lol

Made me remember how bizarre it was when I saw him live warming up on the pitch before an Argentina vs Mexico game in 2007 here in Venezuela. I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that he was real and doing keep uppy 15 meters away from me.

YES lol, that was how I felt!! Insane. Especially when he is your all time favorite player!

So today, I'm at work until 6 and then I can get back and watch El Classico! I hope we get to see Fady in the crowd, I think he'll be so happy he'd have a tear in his eye. Enjoy the game Fady!

Thanks dc!! I'll probably lose it! Being seen among 98,000+ people would be insane though :D Are you planning on seeing any of City's games during the rest of the season?

So this is now very scary

Its being reported doctors have no idea why Muamba went into Cardiac Arrest on the field

and Morosinis post mortem was also inconclusive and not a heart attack.

What the heck is going on :O

What is the source for this? This is crazy. I wonder what's up.

Haha would love to see Irish-Messi's face when he first discovered this store :p

Enjoy your time Fady. Let's hope for your sake we get a great game this time.

Thank you Yurt :] I hope for that too, though it would have been sensational seeing Pepe lose it in front of the Barca fans at Camp Nou :p But yes, I prefer that the players behave.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Cahill, Terry, Bertrand, Essien, Romeu, Malouda, Kalou, Sturridge, Torres.

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Gibbs, Song, Ramsey, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Van Persie.

bud

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Cahill, Terry, Bertrand, Essien, Romeu, Malouda, Kalou, Sturridge, Torres.

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Gibbs, Song, Ramsey, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Van Persie.

the ox in the starting lineup?! whoa.

ShogunX

Little surprised that Chelsea are putting all of their stock in the Champions League. Big gamble playing a lesser team in the league meaning they will have to win the CL to be back in the competition next year.

Hixx

Romeu! Not seen him for a while, looked a real talent earlier in the season.

I don't even know who I want to win this game.

Hixx

From BBC:

"Recent form suggests an extended period of anxiety ahead for the Villa faithful, who have seen them win only once in their last 11 Premier League fixtures, and they're without a victory in their last five."

Enter, stage right: Sunderland.

Top Bottom