• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Moobabe

Little surprised that Chelsea are putting all of their stock in the Champions League. Big gamble playing a lesser team in the league meaning they will have to win the CL to be back in the competition next year.

"Lesser" to an extent - I'm not surprised though. It's still a strong team - Essien, Torres and Sturridge returning is a good thing in my book - though it shows how stretched we are for options when Malouda comes back into the side.

Romeu! Not seen him for a while, looked a real talent earlier in the season.

I don't even know who I want to win this game.

A Chelsea win of course! We're bros! Sunderland are the best team in the North East etc etc

Geography edit

Hixx

wat

"Lesser" to an extent - I'm not surprised though. It's still a strong team - Essien, Torres and Sturridge returning is a good thing in my book - though it shows how stretched we are for options when Malouda comes back into the side.

A Chelsea win of course! We're bros! Sunderland are the best team in the North West etc etc

ibidQsIddgQ9Fh.gif

Fady, rovers are doomed and I was joking about watching another premier league team although I may pick one at Random to root for for Gaf purposes.

Anyway I'm about to leave for what in all likelihood will be our last home premier league game on a Saturday.

If it goes badly there may be ugly scenes and tears.

Pachimari

is coentraro playing?
I'm pretty sure he is. Mourinho likes his defensive attributes, also against Barca. And Coentrao's game against Bayern last week were more a "fluke", one of his worst performances for us but he were clearly affected by the atmosphere at Allianz.

One thing's for sure, the one left back playing tonight won't play against you guys on Wednesday. And as we are at home and need to score I think Marcelo will start the Champions League match. Mou might be tempted by a draw tonight so Coentrao goes in.

We don't need to win El Clasico. The important match is not tonight, it's the one against Athletic Bilbao.

As long as we win our game then it doesn't really matter what happens elsewhere.

It kinda does though, we want Spurs to lose today. With Chelsea and City on the horizon (not to mention Wigan away) we need to try and get into that 4th spot now and hope the other teams around us drop points...because I'm sure as hell we wont get maximum points from the last five! Anyway, first step today Is beating the rugby team. Howayyyyyy!

bud

i will now accurately predict madrid starting lineup for today's game:

iker; arbeloa, ramos, pepe, marcelo; lass, xabi, coentrao; ozil, benzema, ronaldo

it's going to be a massacre!

Salazar

I'd like to think that I could play for Stoke.

Not hard enough.

Lynagh has the same brain stem swelling from a blood clot thing my sister-in-law had about a year back. She didn't quite get to the stroke stage, though. They're saying he's looking positive, but fuck. Seriously touch and go stuff.

Pachimari

i will now accurately predict madrid starting lineup for today's game:

iker; arbeloa, ramos, pepe, marcelo; lass, xabi, coentrao; ozil, benzema, ronaldo

it's going to be a massacre!
Sound formation indeed.

I would really like to see Xabi out of the starting 11. Don't misinterpret this, I know he is vital and the engine to our team BUT he has been hideous in all matches against Barcelona. Or else Mourinho needs to tell the players around him to cover or protect him from Barca's intense high field pressure.

LegoArmo

Sound formation indeed.

I would really like to see Xabi out of the starting 11. Don't misinterpret this, I know he is vital and the engine to our team BUT he has been hideous in all matches against Barcelona. Or else Mourinho needs to tell the players around him to cover or protect him from Barca's intense high field pressure.

I think I'd agree. I'd have two "destroyers" in midfield, and one attacking/creative midfielder, but one who has a lot of energy for closing down.

Today is going to be a great football day!

Arsenal - Chelsea is going to start in a few minutes, going to Excelsior - FC Twente in the evening with friends and after that we're going to watch El Classico at my friends.

If only Arsenal will win this, then my day can't go wrong.

WJD

@Fady

I'm doing good and very excited about the potential of number 20. I've got tickets for the home game against Swansea too which may well be the day we lift the trophy if we get a good result on the 30th.

How in the world did you get tickets for the Clasico? I always assumed they'd be near impossible to get.

Slizz

Fady better share some epic pics from his time at the Clasico.

Almost missed kickoff for Arsenal Chelsea. It's so rainy out now I couldn't tell what time it was.

Pachimari

I think I'd agree. I'd have two "destroyers" in midfield, and one attacking/creative midfielder, but one who has a lot of energy for closing down.

Khedira and Lass (though he would loose his spot/mark quiet often, he don't have the highest amount of tactical awareness, at least not for Real) would fill your spot. Problem would be with the attacking midfielder backtracking. Kaká didn't do it against Atletico Madrid when he were substituted and since haven't played and Özil might help out but he's not exactly known for his high amount of energy throughout a match. The one to back track should be Angél Di María then, as he is sublime at that. :)

ct0Fa.jpg

Clegg

Not hard enough.

Lynagh has the same brain stem swelling from a blood clot thing my sister-in-law had about a year back. She didn't quite get to the stroke stage, though. They're saying he's looking positive, but fuck. Seriously touch and go stuff.

Its scary that a relatively young man can suffer from a stroke.

Especially one that that was a top level sportsman for years.

Wilbur

Banned

Diarra, Khedira and Sahin would be great, or even playing Albiol at centre back and moving Pepe up.

Pachimari

Diarra, Khedira and Sahin would be great, or even playing Albiol at centre back and moving Pepe up.
Albiol is the worst idea ever. If you put Pepe in midfield then at least use Varane in defense. Sahin and Xabi wouldn't work against Barca on Camp Nou. Nuri Sahin doesn't pressure and is more laid back compared to our other midfielders and we already got Xabi to distribute the ball.

I don't think Mourinho trusts Albiol. Having said that he doesn't have many options considering Arbeloa's poor form and Ramos' dopey nature at centre half.
We got Varane, the most composed defender in our squad. Lass and Altintop can play right back, in fact Lass wouldn't be bad at right back but Arbeloa were one of the better players against Bayern.

Oh, and nobody trusts Albiol. =p

Slizz

Is El Clasico kickoff @ 2? Or is that the time the coverage starts and kickoff isn't till 2:45?

EDIT: 7 and 7:45 for you Euro's

Top Bottom