• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Pachimari

a tie: Madrid and Barça have played 218 official games, with a balance of 86 wins for Madrid, 86 for Barça and 46 ties.

seven clásicos without a win: from the 2011 Copa del Rey final, Madrid has played seven clásicos, without winning any of them (one in the Liga, two in the Copa, two in the Supercopa, two in the Champions). One more loss will mean equalizing the worst drought in the history of the clásicos, set by Barcelona between March 3, 2001 and Dec. 6, 2003.

Cristiano and Barça: Cristiano has scored against all the rivals in this current edition of the Liga except Barça and Mallorca. If he scores today, he’ll equal Baltazar (1988-89), Bebeto (1992093) and Pizzi (1995-96), who all scored against 18 different teams in the same league. In the last jornada, Cris can try and equal the record of Ronaldo, who scored against 19 different teams in the 1996-97 season (in that season, there were 22 clubs in the league).

Messi and Madrid: Messi has not scored in three consecutive clásicos, which is his worst streak. If he scores today, he’ll equal César as the maximum azulgrana goalscorer in the history of the clásicos, with 14 goals. Gento and Puskas also scored 14, while the overall record is held by Di Stéfano with 18, followed by Raúl with 15.

winning Saturdays: for the last two years, Madrid hasn’t lost an away game on a Saturday. The last time was on Jan. 16, 2010 at San Mamés. From that point on, the team has racked up 22 games without a loss on Saturday. Between 2008 and 2011, Barcelona notched up a streak of 35 Saturdays without a loss as the visiting team.

the sixth clásico: for the first time in history, we have six official clásicos in the same season (two in the Liga, two in the Copa and two in the Supercopa de España). In 1982-83 and 2010-11, there were five. Barça could win its fourth clásico of the season, which it has never done before.

losing to the rival: only two teams have become Liga champions while losing the two games against the team that would become the runner up. It happened to Madrid in 1975-76 (Barça was the runner up) and Athletic in 1982-83 (Madrid was the runner up).

European losses: this will be the third clásico where both Madrid and Barça are coming in after suffering losses in Europe. The first time it happened (1966), Madrid won 1-0, and the second time (1970), Barça won 0-1.

after losing in Munich: Madrid has played three clásicos after losing in Munich and hasn’t lost one: 1-0 in 1966 (they lost 1-0 against Munich 1860), 0-0 in 1987 (a 4-1 loss to Bayern Munich) and 3-3 in 2007 (after losing 2-1 to Bayern Munich).

record of 108 goals: Madrid is one goal away from surpassing the record 107 set in 1989-90. The best record in the four big European leagues (Spain, England, Germany, Italy) belongs to Aston Villa, which scored 128 goals in 42 games in the 1930-31 season.

goal difference: Madrid’s current goal difference (+78) is the best in the history of the Liga, followed by Barça’s +74 in 2009-10 and 2010-11. The best record in the big four is Torino’s +92 (125 goals in favor and 33 against) in 1947-48.

three with 20: Cris and Higuaín have surpassed 20 goals in this Liga. Benzema has 18 and if he scores two more before the season ends, Madrid will achieve something no one else has: three players with 20 or more goals. Eto’o, Messi and Henry were on the brink of doing that in 2008-09, but Henry finished the season with 19.

Cristiano vs. Messi: they’re the second pair in the history of the big four to reach 40 goals apiece (with five games left) in the same season. In the 1930-31 season in the Premier League, Aston Villa’s Pongo Waring scored 49 and Sheffield United’s Jimmy Dune scored 41.

eight expulsions: in the last 10 clásicos in all competitions, there have been 10 expulsions, eight for Madrid and two for Barcelona. In his 20 official games against Barcelona with Chelsea, Inter and Madrid, Mourinho has seen 11 of his players sent off. In total, he’s played with fewer players for three hours and 48 minutes against Barcelona.

Kozak

Banned
he's worth the money though

whenever i see GS highlights, dude is creating attacks, setting up goals, opening up defense, great fks

good luck to lass @ gs

11 goals and 12 assists in league games. He's a heck of a player just a shame he's on the wrong team but I guess our quota for angry Turkish genius midfielders is full with Emre.

edit:

And yeah I hope Lass does well at GS. I think its important we keep welcoming in more African players into the Turkish League.

Noirulus

A lot is riding on this game. The pichichi is tied up between Cristiano/Messi, the league will be considerably more open depending on the result, etc.

TrueBlue

Remember guys.

Every season I've followed the PL, Man United have won the PL and Newcastle have qualified for CL.

This is exactly where my bloated expectations come from.

Records are there to be broken man :p

Still, you took advantage of our result with the Arse. Good on ya. I'm happy with the point, and we have three out of our four remaining games of the season at home. Hopefully we can win all of them and see how things turn out.

Kyoufu

Records are there to be broken man :p

Still, you took advantage of our result with the Arse. Good on ya. I'm happy with the point, and we have three out of our four remaining games of the season at home. Hopefully we can win all of them and see how things turn out.

The game against us is going to be huge.

edit: Not only does QPR have a shit ground but they can't pass the ball. Urgh.

elsk

Banned
558ba21159b99b80aa8c0c4cc1544946-getty-510410381.jpg

The worst thing you can do when it comes to playing football is playing half an hour games, and then sit out for a half hour before playing another half hour game, on and off for the best part of 6 hours.

Had a 6 a side tournament today and I am dead.

We won though, yay!

Newcastle are looking good for a CL spot. Madness.

Who yous got left chris.

'Nobody' - you know the team we've apparently played against every week this season. ;)

The worst thing you can do when it comes to playing football is playing half an hour games, and then sit out for a half hour before playing another half hour game, on and off for the best part of 6 hours.

Had a 6 a side tournament today and I am dead.

We won though, yay!

Newcastle are looking good for a CL spot. Madness.

The perfect conditioning to build up anaerobic endurance... and lactic acid!

Pachimari

The Madrid based papers (AS and Marca) says this will be Barcelona's line-up:

Valdes, Puyol, Mascherano, Adriano, Busquets, Iniesta, Thiago, Xavi, Alves, Messi and Tello.

I had disagreed a month or so back with someone else, but it looks like for Spurs to progress in their ambition Harry will have to go.

I told you guys. Taarabt is really talented, just needs good coaching to mature into a top player.

Who do you think should buy him? Man U?

What formation, Harry?

Well you know, we'll have a goalie, some defenders, midfielders, and a big lad next to a little lad upfront.

Tactics?

Score more goals than the other team, innit. Pass it abaaaaaaaaawt a bit.

Top Bottom