• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
P6CCP.jpg

I've been told that this is not photoshopped.

Kem0sabe

So why does nobody want Aquilani? He seems like a decent enough player.

Probably wages. For the price tag Liverpool got him i wager he´s being ridiculously well payed.

Either he claims hes happy staying at Liverpool being paid huge money for doing crap, which he just said he would be willing to do...

Or Liverpool finds someone stupid enough to buy and pay him that amount of money.

Arnie

Aquilani update!

untitled-10o0k9m.gif

please please please please

this guy's like 3 tom cleverleys

/blamspace mode

Probably wages. For the price tag Liverpool got him i wager he´s being ridiculously well payed.

Either he claims hes happy staying at Liverpool being paid huge money for doing crap, which he just said he would be willing to do...

Or Liverpool finds someone stupid enough to buy and pay him that amount of money.
Spot on. He's one of the highest earners at the club.

Arctic Monkeys are a much more talented band than Oasis. Alex Turner is a musical genius. Oasis have some decent songs but as Noel Gallagher himself said, he's a great songwriter but not the most talented musician.

Also, Arctic Monkeys are from Sheffield whereas Oasis are Mancs, so Arctic Monkeys win by default.

ShogunX

Oh god I'm anxious about an England game.

This whole Rooney the savior shite has took the shine off England matches for me. Before the tournament I was indifferent about the team but seeing the likes of Johnson, Gerrard and Carroll all doing well had turned my frown upside down - Back in meh mode now with the likes of Young keeping his place despite having an absolute shocker.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Fancy Brits.

Charles said:
Giovinco and Verratti, confirmed.

Awesome, now the 'top player' we keep hearing about

Marotta MUST deliver this time, we waited too long for a 'top player'.

elsk said:
Giovinco to play as striker. /end of transfer

Gio is BRILLIANT in a 3-5-2 playing behind a striker!

Wilbur

Banned
There isn't distinction between depressive songs. They all motivate you to do the same thing. :lol

Lyrically they're very different. As are Oasis. Sometimes they tell me I'm a wall, sometimes they tell me not to cry out my heart.

But musically? Radiohead are inventive, different, and unique within songs and albums. Oasis play the same chords in every song without invention. I'm all for repetitive structures, it's what Dylan does a lot. But if you have that, back it up with sterling writing, not some trite a drunk 15 year old could come up with tinkering with an acoustic guitar trying to score a blow job off Judy Freeman from the other school

Hixx

Lyrically they're very different. As are Oasis. Sometimes they tell me I'm a wall, sometimes they tell me not to cry out my heart.

But musically? Radiohead are inventive, different, and unique within songs and albums. Oasis play the same chords in every song without invention. I'm all for repetitive structures, it's what Dylan does a lot. But if you have that, back it up with sterling writing, not some trite a drunk 15 year old could come up with tinkering with an acoustic guitar trying to score a blow job off Judy Freeman from the other school

this is a large part of why i dislike shite like radiohead. their fans think it's a 'level above' intellectually. it's fucking music, man.

Anyway the Jam are the greatest English band ever, surely you all agree with that.

Wilbur

Banned
this is a large part of why i dislike shite like radiohead. their fans think it's a 'level above' intellectually. it's fucking music, man.

Anyway the Jam are the greatest English band ever, surely you all agree with that.

It's not about being a level above intellectually, it's like I say combination of music and lyrics. Play simple structured and chords, write an actual good song like Dylan? You don't need to be an intellectual.

Justin Bieber is music. Leona Lewis is music. N-Dubs is music. What they all have in common is lyrically I despise the majority of their output. Same with Oasis. I don't need to like intellectual music to feel like that, I like Queen for instance. But it's because they combine good music with what may sometimes be pretty shitty lyrics. Oasis play simple music and write some godawful lyrics.

Clegg

Oasis are one of those bands that are culturally enshrined in Britain. They came in and made Britpop a phenomenon. They were young and exciting and influenced a generation of new British bands. They had two very good albums and their legend was ensured.

But the actual quality of their music has diminished greatly since WTSMG. Be Here Nowwas terrible and every subsequent release was mediocre too. Don't Believe the Truth was good but it couldn't match up to their best albums.

I don't think Arctic Monkeys have released an album as good as the best Oasis offering, but they have been much more consistent. They have 4 albums now and all of them are pretty good.

I have a real problem with band what output a shit load of music but don't experiment and constantly 'play it safe' creatively. It's a big part of the reason why I don't like Oasis. Once you've heard WTSMG you literally don't need to hear another Oasis record.

Wilbur

Banned
Oasis are one of those bands that are culturally enshrined in Britain. They came in and made Britpop a phenomenon. They were young and exciting and influenced a generation of new British bands. They had two very good albums and their legend was ensured.

But the actual quality of their music has diminished greatly since WTSMG. Be Here Nowwas terrible and every subsequent release was mediocre too. Don't Believe the Truth was good but it couldn't match up to their best albums.

I don't think Arctic Monkeys have released an album as good as the best Oasis offering, but they have been much more consistent. They have 4 albums now and all of them are pretty good.

Agreed agreed agreed. I would say that AM's first album was better than anything Oasis have done though.

Anyway never going to win people over haha.

Hixx

Sorry, grandad.

Timeless music. Their songs are still incredibly relevant 30 years on.

Weller and Foxton, geniuses. ;)

DOYS was decent.

Arctic Monkeys first album was great, second two were pretty poor, most recent was ok.

Wilbur

Banned
I have a real problem with band what output a shit load of music but don't experiment and constantly 'play it safe' creatively. It's a big part of the reason why I don't like Oasis. Once you've heard WTSMG you literally don't need to hear another Oasis record.

This as well. I listen to one Blink 182 album, I've heard them all. I listen to one Westlife album, I've heard them all.

And the Jam are awesome

Fry

AM: Favourite Worst Nightmare > Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not = Humbug > Suck It and See

I'd say most people don't enjoy Humbug as much as the other albums, especially as much as their first one, but I love it.

Oasis:

WTSMG > Definitely Maybe > Don't Believe the Truth > SOTSOG > Dig Out Your Soul > Be Here Now > Heathen Chemistry

danwarb

This as well. I listen to one Blink 182 album, I've heard them all. I listen to one Westlife album, I've heard them all.

And the Jam are awesome
I'm fond of the Jam because my older brother used to play them when I was very young.

He'd also play the Carpenters and Barry Manilow...

And the Jam are awesome

If you listen to Cheshire Catl by Blink-182 you will hear a different sound than what Enema of the State, and Take Off your Pants & Jacket give you. And their self-titled album was further from that. While I acknowledge that there was a period in time that they recycled their sound, they have broadened their range throughout their tenure as a band. I actually never listened to their recent release, but will need to take some time to listen. But it isn't fair to say their music was all the same.

This is one of my favorite songs by them, definitely not the sound you would associate them with:

Carousel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4YoCZ8Vw8

Also, Adam's Song was released during their peak, and is different than the rest of their music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom