• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

Did I miss something re: Nirolak's post? Things have seem pretty tame as of late in here generally, let alone stuff that needed a mod's attention.

Anyhoo, I think women's football has been enjoyable. Granted, I've just been watching the highlights but I like that goals, more than in the men's games, materialize out of nothing. The teams that end up winning are the teams that have a right balance of individual skill and aggressive play. The USA game earlier was a perfect example, Canada-South Africa as well. High pressing in the opposing third almost always seem to lead to good things in these games.

I think it's all about the dumbass comments from one or two individuals during yesterday's opening ceremony.

Mastadon

Banned
That's what we told ourselves for the last 3 years...

Huh? We're playing with our reserves and youth team after most have them haven't played in two months with a new manager trying to install a new style of play. What are you expecting?! Last season we were winning games 4-3, and that didn't exactly work out for us!

Don't be ridiculous. It's not his fault your team doesn't have the talent to create chances.

We had Raheem Sterling and Joe 'The white Messi' Cole on the pitch. If he can't score goals surrounded by such quality, then it's clear he can't perform at this level.

We should cut our losses and sell him to West Ham.

Yen

Tottenham vs Liverpool:

I only caught the last 15 mins or so but I assume the heat/ lots of subs just wrecked that game?

What was it like in the first half? Very curious how both these tams will play tactically next season and I couldnt get much from the game. Spurs looked vaugely different (higher line, 1 forward), Liverpool looked rather direct to me.

Anyone who watched the full game have any insights?

Bare in mind, it was 100F and the pitch had long grass, and was very dry. First half was quite different. Spurs' defensive line was really high and Liverpool focused on possession for most of the half. It was a very boring game.

Ah thanks for the clarification. It's always good to know that a quick PM to a mod deals with silly stuff really quickly.

Twitter abuzz with Quagliarella for Ranocchia but as I've pointed out, rumours linking us to Quagliarella have been tentative at best. And, in any case, Inter don't have the players to cover his transfer.

rodvik

Bare in mind, it was 100F and the pitch had long grass, and was very dry. First half was quite different. Spurs' defensive line was really high and Liverpool focused on possession for most of the half. It was a very boring game.

Thanks man, appreciate it.

rodvik

Oh, and Spurs' attack was very quick. I would give a more detailed report but there is nothing more to say!

Interesting. I do wonder what Rodgers is planning on playing come season start. Right now (I have only seen bits of two pre season games) he seems stuck between two styles.

Mastadon

Banned
Interesting. I do wonder what Rodgers is planning on playing come season start. Right now (I have only seen bits of two pre season games) he seems stuck between two styles.

I honestly think its more to do with squad fitness and experience with the system than Rodgers not trying to impose a specific style. Takes a lot of stamina to press so much, and in the heat that they are subject to at the minute, it's probably fair enough that we revert to the odd long ball at the end of the game.

Slizz

Two things I took from that match between Pool and Tottenham.

1. That away kit for Liverpool is unacceptable. Think I might prefer the 3rd kit to the Away one....

2. The GK kit for Tottenham is also unacceptable.

That is all.

USWNT making me angry how much better they are than our MNT. Playing like such a cohesive unit, stringing together passes left and right.....

rodvik

I honestly think its more to do with squad fitness and experience with the system than Rodgers not trying to impose a specific style. Takes a lot of stamina to press so much, and in the heat that they are subject to at the minute, it's probably fair enough that we revert to the odd long ball at the end of the game.

Fair enough. Liverpools players also have been involved in quite a few internationals so they are likely a bit knackered after a long summer.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Loved Huddlestone's performance today. If he can work on his mobility he can take Modric's place in midfield. He is a wonderful passer of the ball.

Loved Huddlestone's performance today. If he can work on his mobility he can take Modric's place in midfield. He is a wonderful passer of the ball.

I would go so far as to say he is the best English passer of the ball currently in the game. Although that doesn't always make up for his other deficiencies of course.

Slizz

You guys happen to catch Abby Wambachs goal today? Pure toughness and grit to score. Beautiful 1-2 and then straight up out-hustles the Colombian defenders to score.

Feorax

Just seen Cisse's penalty. Charlie Adam would be proud of that one.

Also, I'm impressed by Batman Villas Boas not being as rigid with his high defensive line.

I agree, he played well. You don't need Joe Allen :p

Hixx

I would go so far as to say he is the best English passer of the ball currently in the game. Although that doesn't always make up for his other deficiencies of course.

I agree - only if you rule out Scholes 'cause he's old and ginger.

edit: this has already been mentioned. Fucking tabbed browsing is the worst best thing.

Wilbur

Banned
I agree - only if you rule out Scholes 'cause he's old and ginger.

edit: this has already been mentioned. Fucking tabbed browsing is the worst best thing.

Is there many better living ginger people than Paul Scholes? Or even dead? Lizzie the first? Ginger spice? Newton Faulkner?

Fry

He's not a real person Fry, he's a puppet. The Muppets are controlled by people using strings and their hands up their bottoms. One day when television hits Brazil, you'll understand.

You ignorant JT

iYP57S9Ei91NO.jpg

fuenf

I hate the Olympics. Why are most of the female athletes so ridiculously hot? Living in the village must be absolutely amazing. I really should've picked up some obscure niche sport, just to participate in all the partying.

rodvik

Rumour (and only that) that Villa are interested in Man City youngster John Guidetti.

Dont know him to be honest. But in general I like the Lambert era signings. he is living up to his rep of refusing to pay for over priced players. I am happy enough with that approach.

I know it's unlike me to moan about other posts but in the end I pmd Kabouter as well and he sorted it

Even for me there's a line and that was way past it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom