• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Who is this?

Alex-Morgan-2-494x330.jpg

Ahhh... *sigh of relief* I can stop vomiting now.

Chevrolet deal worth £28m a year according to Mark Ogden.

£8 upgrade. Not bad - was hoping for more tbh but it's still the record sponsorship deal.

That's not the point. The point was that this whole fiasco has brought the game in to disrepute as the FA like to put it. Wayne Rooney got banned (I believe) for saying fuck at a camera, so why aren't both parties in this case being charged when the shit that both talked is well documented.

I'm not saying that JT's alleged racism is on par with calling each other bad names. But when calling each other bad names gets this big, surely an example has to be made of all involved.

Again. Hurling obscenities into a camera or spouting racist dialogue sets a worse example than swearing on the pitch or having a dig at a philanderer about being a philanderer. It's about setting precedent on what's kosher behaviour and enforcing that desired atmosphere. The real issue here is that people react to being called out on racism or sexism or homophobia like 13 year old boys do about masturbating. We just have to admit that while most people are biased and flawed, a higher standard should be set in public spaces, like a game that a fair portion of the world tends to watch.

GorillaJu

The thing that bothers me most about the John Terry case is that it was caught by a viewer at home, not by the victim, and JT even went in very un-JT-like to clear the air with Anton after the game. I'm not saying that calling someone a "black JT" is excusable, but it just seems rather strange the way the whole thing developed from the onset.

Wilbur

Banned
The thing that bothers me most about the John Terry case is that it was caught by a viewer at home, not by the victim, and JT even went in very un-JT-like to clear the air with Anton after the game. I'm not saying that calling someone a "black JT" is excusable, but it just seems rather strange the way the whole thing developed from the onset.

Was reported by a policeman wasn't it?

Feorax

Well of the three cases so far where charges have been made, none of them have been as cut and dry as "he said x to me with racist intent". It's been an interesting case study to say the least.

Few things as pleasurable as imagining a family of United fans making the 4 hours pilgrimage back to London after that game in absolute silence, SAF air freshener dangling from the rear view mirror, pumping out the scent of utter humiliation.

The dad snapping when one of the kids asks a routine question, the child then bursting into tears, soaking his replica Rooney jersey in the process.

i5e0Fh93UG8aK.gif

13 year old boys do about masturbating.

This is now what the thread is about. Can't be worse than average looking women footballers and racism charges. Wil?

Wilbur

Banned
This is now what the thread is about. Can't be worse than average looking women footballers and racism charges. Wil?

I've been trying to set up a mass FootyGAF wankathon for ages now, with all proceeds going to United's transfer budget. Would be great, we could see Fady fudding his bottom like a champion while trying to sing a chant for every one of his favourite teams.

I've been trying to set up a mass FootyGAF wankathon for ages now, with all proceeds going to United's transfer budget. Would be great, we could see Fady fudding his bottom like a champion while trying to sing a chant for every one of his favourite teams.

A different take on multi-post, for sure.

GQman2121

Banned
Pudgy Hulk is better than no Hulk at all.

And all this FA name calling shit is getting as bad as the NFL and their inconsistent rulings on tackles and low shots at QB's legs. Who really gives a shit? It's gotten to the point where its all just noise to me.

Again. Hurling obscenities into a camera or spouting racist dialogue sets a worse example than swearing on the pitch or having a dig at a philanderer about being a philanderer. It's about setting precedent on what's kosher behaviour and enforcing that desired atmosphere. The real issue here is that people react to being called out on racism or sexism or homophobia like 13 year old boys do about masturbating. We just have to admit that while most people are biased and flawed, a higher standard should be set in public spaces, like a game that a fair portion of the world tends to watch.
I completely disagree, I'm not going to talk about JT because we all know why he in particular has been charged.

It's not about Anton calling JT a "philanderer" either, I just mentioned that he happened to say it. To me, Anton's well documented use of language is no worse than what Rooney did. If Rooney says fuck and the public no nothing of it, it goes by unpunished, as it should. The only reason he did get punished was because it was out there for all to see. Well in this case, so is Anton throwing the C word about.

So I don't for a minute think that every player using bad language should be punished. I do however, think in cases like this, if the FA are going to take action they should take action against both parties. That's not to say that what Anton admitted to saying is on par with what JT admitted to saying (given the context). But the FA, should they take action, which they are, should be saying that you can't use abhorrent racist language, but also can't conduct yourself in this manner either. If they don't, then I can't see why the likes of Rooney wasn't given any more than a slap on the wrists and told not to do it again.

Not that it's worth anything, but I don't think the FA should of dragged this up again post court. But if they are going to, then make an example of the whole situation. Also, Rio being stupid aside, his is another situation I think should be left alone. Ashley Cole came out and said there was no harm done. That should of been the end of it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so apparently we are being linked to Daniel Agger. What does Liverpool-gaf thinks? 15 millions euros seems a bit excessive, imo.

Wilbur

Banned
so apparently we are being linked to Daniel Agger. What does Liverpool-gaf thinks? 15 millions euros seems a bit excessive, imo.

Agger's worth more than 15m if Silva's going for 45m and Terry to City a few years back was going to be 40m.

If I could take one Liverpool player it would be a throw up between Agger and Lucas.

GorillaJu

15m euros would be very much under his value. And I don't think we'd sell him, even to Barça. Agger has been one of our most loyal players, through all the hardships, and recently was just talking about how excited he is for Rodgers' project.

Kyoufu

I wouldn't buy any current Liverpool player for more than 10 million (haven't seen enough of Suso). That's just me though.

Fry

He's probably my favorite player at Liverpool, unfortunately I can't see him staying if that rumour turns out to be true. It takes the most loyal players to refuse an offer like this, and even though I think he's one of them, he's in the exactly period of his career to take a step up, because it might be the only shot he's got.

Glass legs and back, ugly tattoos, former Brøndby JT, extremely big boobs,
glue sniffer
. 0/15 mil, would not buy-

Would not buy, but would bang.

Kyoufu

Agger's better than Piqué.

Tell me this is troll

Who is worth more than 10 million to you from their squad?

EDIT: I should clarify that I'm speaking from a smart business sense, not a Kenny Dalglish sense. I would buy every British player for 50 million if I was in the Kenny Dalglish mind set.

Agger better than Piqué? Not sure. Pique was poor last season but he is very good. Agger could be in the same class as Vidic, Kompany, Piqué, Thiago Silva etc...he has the tools to be and on top is very good on the ball, but for some reason he just hasn't got there yet, be it injuries or whatever else. Skrtel was actually the better player in the partnership last year for me.

Anyhow, a price would be based on what he's worth to Liverpool and I'd say they would want close to £20m to sell him right now.

Mastadon

Banned
It's a bit like the RVP situation. Agger is one of my favourite players, but he has a massive list of injury issues in the past. Im not 100% convinced that we will get a season like we had last year from him again.

Tempting to cash in on him if it does go up to £20m.

Wilbur

Banned
Who is worth more than 10 million to you from their squad?

Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Suarez, and Carroll (at his age has the potential to be very effective. 10m is a fair price for him). Maybe Johnson as well.

Agger better than Piqué? Not sure. Pique was poor last season but he is very good. Agger could be in the same class as Vidic, Kompany, Piqué, Thiago Silva etc...he has the tools to be and on top is very good on the ball, but for some reason he just hasn't got there yet, be it injuries or whatever else. Skrtel was actually the better player in the partnership last year for me.

Anyhow, a price would be based on what he's worth to Liverpool and I'd say they would want close to £20m to sell him right now.

I think Pique's great and two years ago I would have said he was the best in the world along with Vidic, but considering how poor he was last year and how much Agger stepped it up I'll say Agger's better for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom