• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
50m net spend, huh? That's about 35m left - considering the transfers of Kagawa, Powell and Park. Hmm, do we really need to blow it all on Moura? Lays some doubt on us being in for Baines.

Trying to look on the brightside.

The IPO is successful and we reduce debt by £75m. We have a decent season and at least make the CL QF. Revenue increases and debt is paid down a bit more.

The Chevrolet deal is, in fact, as large as Reuters are reporting. We use that money to at least partially pay down more of our debt and reduce the interest bill.

#graspingatstraws

Ugh. Yeah, that's all we can hope for.

Carbonox

Wanyama I believe. City were supposedly interested in him about 6-8 weeks ago but nothing has come of it. I think a £10-11 valuation was mentioned for him. I know Celtic paid less than £1m.

I wanted Newcastle to get him before we got Bigirimana. Now I'm content with Bigirimana. Class player and a capable heir to Tiote's throne.

Clegg

Am I right in thinking that the IPO has been fully underwritten by the banks?

Wouldn't that mean the Glazers will still get their money, regardless of interest from investors?

PaulLFC

Forgot to add that.

It's the thoughts of the club, that we'd only accept an offer that's so great it'd be tough to refuse because of the good it could do to the squad overall.

I've read a lot of reactionary moaning and whining about that on RAWK, but as I see it, that's what running a football club is: turning over your prized assets at their peak and using that to invest and improve. If we hadn't spunked the Torres money up the wall it would've been considered one of the greatest transfer moves in history, but unfortunately for us Mike Ashley scooped that award on the same day.

I love Agger, and Skrtel, but if an offer comes in that's exceptional, and we'll hold City out for a huge offer because we know they've got the money, then we'd be mad to say no. They're both 27, both in their peak, and both worth a lot of money. As long as it's reinvested wisely then we'll do well.
If it does come to that, then I hope we hold out for a ridiculous price and don't give one or both of them away too cheaply - our negotiation skills haven't exactly been brilliant in recent times, except for Torres that is.

GorillaJu

Forgot to add that.

It's the thoughts of the club, that we'd only accept an offer that's so great it'd be tough to refuse because of the good it could do to the squad overall.

I've read a lot of reactionary moaning and whining about that on RAWK, but as I see it, that's what running a football club is: turning over your prized assets at their peak and using that to invest and improve. If we hadn't spunked the Torres money up the wall it would've been considered one of the greatest transfer moves in history, but unfortunately for us Mike Ashley scooped that award on the same day.

I love Agger, and Skrtel, but if an offer comes in that's exceptional, and we'll hold City out for a huge offer because we know they've got the money, then we'd be mad to say no. They're both 27, both in their peak, and both worth a lot of money. As long as it's reinvested wisely then we'll do well.

Exactly. If City want to buy one of our prized assets, then we're going to get a big payday from it, and I'd expect Rodgers to be able to reinvest all of that in the squad. We may lose one of the best defenders in the league, when fit, but we could get a perfectly decent CB to replace him at half what we sell him for, then still have the other half to sort out our attacking issues.

Yen

Forgot to add that.

Agree with all of this, but Skragger have at least 5 more years at their peak. Would want a hefty sum for ether, or both, of them.

Arnie

Exactly. If City want to buy one of our prized assets, then we're going to get a big payday from it, and I'd expect Rodgers to be able to reinvest all of that in the squad. We may lose one of the best defenders in the league, when fit, but we could get a perfectly decent CB to replace him at half what we sell him for, then still have the other half to sort out our attacking issues.

Agree with all of this, but Skragger have at least 5 more years at their peak. Would want a hefty sum for ether, or both, of them.

Agree.

I hope we look at Sakho for PSG, he's a brilliant defender and we could get him for a cut price considering their current situation.

Venkys seem like they'd be a good fit. Jeff would be happy too. Everyone's a winner!

rao.jpg

I think the sponsorship they are referring to in that article is the 'Official Automobile Partner'.

edit: Actually I'm not entirely sure what the article is referring to but they definitely will be on the shirt after the Aon contract expires.

LA Times said:
Reuters and the Wall Street Journal said sources familiar with the situation reported Ewanick’s departure was tied to not properly vetting and reporting the financial details about Chevrolet’s sponsorship of Manchester United.

Among the criticisms of the transaction was that the sponsorship did not appear to include Chevrolet’s name on the jerseys of the soccer club’s players. Unlike the major American sports, advertising is a prominent feature of soccer uniforms, giving the sponsors what are essentially kicking and running billboards for television cameras and photographers.

The article's speculating why that exec got fired. It could be the terms of the deal with United, as mentioned above, where the company's name doesn't appear on the jersey (but just the logo?), and it goes on to name a few other possibilities.

I thought the atmosphere regarding United's financial stability looked grim last night, tonight it's like Chernobyl.

United's stable, even if the debt is toxic to proper reinvestment. The Glazers are lying twerps, though. And the pressure on them shouldn't let up for a second.

GorillaJu

Really looking forward to Clint Dempsey putting on a Liverpool shirt. He'll be so fucking good as a Rodgers player. Good technical skill, works his ass off and very physical. Will be great on the left wing.

I think the sponsorship they are referring to in that article is the 'Official Automobile Partner'.

edit: Actually I'm not entirely sure what the article is referring to but they definitely will be on the shirt after the Aon contract expires.
Maybe it's saying that the logo will only be on the shirt, not the name beneath it?

Dunno tbh, just a guess.

Arnie

Welcome Andy Carroll, please enjoy your stay in East London.

He won't agree. I've got a suspicion that the only reason we've accepted is to spark Newcastle into action. If they appear with a concrete bid above the £15 million then I believe Carroll will be back in Newcastle.

Omikron

He won't agree. I've got a suspicion that the only reason we've accepted is to spark Newcastle into action. If they appear with a concrete bid above the £15 million then I believe Carroll will be back in Newcastle.

Probably. But it is amusing.

Clegg

From the original draft of the IPO:

IPO prospectus: the level of debt and interest is negatively affecting our ability to compete, we will use the proceeds of the IPO to bring debt levels down to more manageable levels.

And now all we get is £75m off the debt and £4.4m a year off in interest.

Kyoufu

lol that's not how Ashley operates. We'll never get into a bidding war. Especially not with the likes of West Ham, especially not over the likes of Andy Carroll.

I think the problem you're facing right now is Carroll doesn't want to go to West Ham, otherwise their deal would be good for you.

ATF487

Am I right in thinking that the IPO has been fully underwritten by the banks?

Wouldn't that mean the Glazers will still get their money, regardless of interest from investors?

Depends on what sort of offer they do. If it's a firm commitment, the Glazers will get the share price times the amount of shares they put out; the risk is on the bank. If it's a best offer scenario, they would only get the price that the market is willing to pay.

Yen

lol that's not how Ashley operates. We'll never get into a bidding war. Especially not with the likes of West Ham, especially not over the likes of Andy Carroll.

I think the problem you're facing right now is Carroll doesn't want to go to West Ham, otherwise their deal would be good for you.

West Ham owners are a bunch of cowboys who have neither sense nor money.

PaulLFC

Depends on what sort of offer they do. If it's a firm commitment, the Glazers will get the share price times the amount of shares they put out; the risk is on the bank. If it's a best offer scenario, they would only get the price that the market is willing to pay.
Well then if the bank's read that prospectus, they surely can't be stupid enough to make a firm commitment.

GQman2121

Banned
Oh, God. The people of Tampa paid for 100% of the Bucs' new stadium, and then had to pay Glazer to use it?! Ridiculous.

Here in the US, it's looked upon as a privilege to have an NFL team. There's only 32 cities with teams, so tax payers are more than willing to bend over backwards to do whatever is asked of them to bring a team to the area. The idea is that jobs, tourism and the NFL's profit sharing will help offset the initial cost.

Hell, here in Baltimore, we had to promise to build a new stadium before stealing another city's (Cleveland) entire organization. Shit is cutthroat here.

Here in the US, it's looked upon as a privilege to have an NFL team. There's only 32 cities with teams, so tax payers are more than willing to bend over backwards to do whatever is asked of them to bring a team to the area. The idea is that jobs, tourism and the NFL's profit sharing will help offset the initial cost.

Hell, here in Baltimore, we had to promise to build a new stadium before stealing another city's (Cleveland) entire organization. Shit is cutthroat here.

Yea, the city of Baltimore can fuck off. And there aren't enough nasty things in the world I can wish upon Art Modell. That mother fucker deserves the worst death imaginable.

Arnie

Nobody's suggesting a bidding war, as if West Ham and Newcastle will be scrapping over Carroll, but we know Andy only wants to return to Newcastle and we know Newcastle are very interested in Andy; all accepting the West Ham bid does is tell Newcastle that we're ready for serious offers now.

Tomorrow should be a huge day, with Ba's contract clause coming to a close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom