• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

Is Ferguson injured or something? I don't get why Pardew doesn't play him more often.

I can't remember - he might be.

But yeah I would like to see more of him. Looked sharp and solid on the ball last when season when he did come on. He needs to bulk up more though.

Kyoufu

Fergie is injured, yeah.

Obertan needs to be sold to Swansea or something.

BTW, our French connection are on strike until Debuchy has been signed. Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Marveaux stayed home.

Watching Chelsea vs Brighton and I'm not impressed with how we've set-up. Marins got a small knock and isn't playing, obviously no Mata either but we don't look good at all. Playing the usual 4-3-3 that we've spent all this money trying to get away from.

Things will be different when we get everyone at the club. Marin playing/Mata back/Oscar joining the team. But we look pretty shit. Even if it is just a pre-season game.

One positive is that Hazard looks quite lively. Need to get a new RB (Azpilicueta) and Hulk and ship out Essien/Malouda perhaps Meireles too.

dc89

Better than "come this way and meet Patrick Vieira of Arsenal fame cos our biggest legend Mike Summerbee is a complete twat".

Not better than £200k a week though..

Ice Fucking Cold.

He may be a bit funny at times. But he can predict the future.

"We'll come here (Old Trafford) and we'll take them apart one day I'll tell you that. Just like we did."

One year later. 1-6.

Based on our pre-season I'll be happy with another 6th place finish. We look like mid table muck. Sorry mid table teams.

_59336616_dimatteostill.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Watching Chelsea vs Brighton and I'm not impressed with how we've set-up. Marins got a small knock and isn't playing, obviously no Mata either but we don't look good at all. Playing the usual 4-3-3 that we've spent all this money trying to get away from.

Things will be different when we get everyone at the club. Marin playing/Mata back/Oscar joining the team. But we look pretty shit. Even if it is just a pre-season game.

I don't know why people expect so much from Chelsea next season. They have bought lots of small, technical players but Chelseas recent success has been all about brute force, about Essien, Drogba, Terry, etc, about dominating opponents physically. A manager who was sacked by West Brom and flukes his way to some trophies is not going to be able to oversee such a huge change and deliver silverware at the same time. Drogba was a once in a generation player, a true match winner and to go cold turkey after winning the CL thanks to him will be very difficult.

He pretty much carried the team during AVB's time last season. He was one of my faves in the whole PL and was definitely the best in the Chelsea side. 50 million.
He's great but it will take more than the ability of Mata to get this team going.

Edit: nice bit of play there, lovely ball from Rambo and nice leave from Nando. Frank bring the goals.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Prosecutor Stefano Palazzi: "We have no time to examine the documents submitted by the defense"

Prosecutor Stefano Palazzi: "We have no time to examine the documents submitted by the defense"

johnstewart_facepalm.gif

R6Jci.gif

Ol1v4.gif

160px-WC-2014-Brasil.svg.png

I'm not too happy with the way they are playing either but to write them off now based on preseason is just silly.
Not because of pre-season. We haven't changed very much from last season. I think all the criticism on this page from myself and others has been fair.

I'm not writing us off as such, I'm just not going to get super optimistic because of the few signings we've made. Obviously we'll not know exactly what's up until all the players are back.

1-1, :lol

qindarka

Banned
I don't know why people expect so much from Chelsea next season. They have bought lots of small, technical players but Chelseas recent success has been all about brute force, about Essien, Drogba, Terry, etc, about dominating opponents physically. A manager who was sacked by West Brom and flukes his way to some trophies is not going to be able to oversee such a huge change and deliver silverware at the same time. Drogba was a once in a generation player, a true match winner and to go cold turkey after winning the CL thanks to him will be very difficult.

No such thing as fluking trophies. And Chelsea have been a lot more technically adept than you give them credit for.

Kyoufu

No such thing as fluking trophies. And Chelsea have been a lot more technically adept than you give them credit for.

I wouldn't say the trophies were flukes. Chelsea has a great squad but how it all happened just made me think Di Matteo made a deal with the devil or something. Almost everything went his way. It was scary to watch.

He was definitely lucky and that's not a bad thing.

qindarka

Banned
I wouldn't say the trophies were flukes, but how it all happened just made me think Di Matteo made a deal with the devil or something. Almost everything went his way. It was scary to watch.

He was definitely lucky and that's not a bad thing.

Agreed. I just didn't like his casual dismissal of Chelsea and Di Matteo's achievements last season.

Kyoufu

I'd say the biggest worry for Chelsea would be Hazard. Paid a lot of money so he has to perform. So far he hasn't really impressed me to be honest. Marin has been good though.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
What does the lower part mean?

He's asking them to remove their out of place and xenophobic comment and not further tarnish their already tarnished image.

That was the Italian football federation (FIGC) btw. The corrupt version of the FA.

Are they going to fine themselves? Who watches the watchmen? :p

Bumhead

Banned
Wednesday 1-0 West Brom

Half time.

New signing Pecnik scored which is good.

Don't think anybody in the ground cares though as we're just waiting to see if we've signed Antonio or not.

Ushojax

Clatternburg you utter twat

That is as clear a red as I have ever seen. Senegal player should be beyond grateful he stayed on the pitch. Wasn't it Clattenburg who saw Rooney elbow that player and let him get away with it?

Ushojax

Sure there is. When Messi misses a penalty and you get given a goal that never crossed the line in the FA Cup semi, you fluked it.

Those wins were the last of the Mou era, his players, his style won them those cups despite their clear inferiority to their opponents in the CL. A side that's technically adept doesn't play like Chelsea did last season. They were dogged and determined a d that ended up being enough, but they were all freak results. Their opponents missed dozens of chances and Chelsea scored virtually all of theirs.

The_Hitcher89///Stark FC
PrematureQuiche///PrematureQuiche FC
Arnie///LSD Eindhoven
elseanio/// Sporting Lisbonjela
BLSwagger10///Puff Puff Shoot
Joe///Holy Cannoli
Jeff Albertson///Jeff FC
Vivarazala///Vivalaraza
Awesome Animals///JTgate
choodi///Fatman United (choodi)
odd_morsel///Bacon of Hope FC
Freewheelin'///FreeWheelin FC
Spanish Wrath///Vuvuzela BRRRRFC
kharma45///Leave My Arcelona
Anderson///UnAthletic FC
Swance///Swance's Sexy Squad
WoodenLung///Voyeurs Young Boys
the walrus///TheWalrus
LegoArmo///BASED-in-Newcastle
WJD///WJD FC
Kylehimself///kylehimself
Snoopen///Arse FC
PaulLFC///Racing AbbeyNational
Keio///FC Voitto

Mastadon///Dyslexia Untied
Wilbury///JTbury FC

24 done so far, room for more :)

Sure there is. When Messi misses a penalty and you get given a goal that never crossed the line in the FA Cup semi, you fluked it.

Those wins were the last of the Mou era, his players, his style won them those cups despite their clear inferiority to their opponents in the CL. A side that's technically adept doesn't play like Chelsea did last season.
:lol, it helps when you score another 4 to win 5-1 in total though.

qindarka

Banned

Those wins were the last of the Mou era, his players, his style won them those cups despite their clear inferiority to their opponents in the CL. A side that's technically adept doesn't play like Chelsea did last season.

Sorry, didn't make it clear. When I was referring to them being technically adept, I wasn't talking about last season but rather the 2004-2010 period.

And you seriously can't say Chelsea fluked the FA Cup based on that Mata goal. They did eventually win that match 5-1.

Ushojax

:lol, it helps when you score another 4 though to win 5-1 in total.

Sure, our old CBs couldn't handle the game once it went 2-0 up, but for the first half there was nothing in it besides another instance of Drogba pulling something out of his arse. That second goal changed everything.

Obviously Chelsea didn't fluke the FA Cup, they got a huge slice of luck that forced Spurs to open up so they could pick them off, but they got a nice piece of insurance from the ref.

qindarka

Banned
Sure, our old CBs couldn't handle the game once it went 2-0 up, but for the first half there was nothing in it besides another instance of Drogba pulling something out of his arse. That second goal changed everything.

Did it really change that much? You did pull it back to 2-1 relatively quickly.

I am not saying that Chelsea would definitely have won if the goal was rightfully disallowed since goals change games and all that but pointing to one moment in a 5-1 game as evidence of a fluked trophy seems rather odd.

Edit: If you didn't think Chelsea fluked the FA Cup after all, why did you mention it in the first place?

Ushojax

Did it really change that much? You did pull it back to 2-1 relatively quickly.

Yeah, because we had to go for it. At 1-0 we could afford to feel out way back into the game. Are you really asking whether an utterly illegal goal for 2-0 in a Wembley semi-final derby made a difference?

I mentioned it because it was another freakish moment in an improbable end to Chelseas season.

Obviously Chelsea didn't fluke the FA Cup, they got a huge slice of luck that forced Spurs to open up so they could pick them off, but they got a nice piece of insurance from the ref.
Sorry Ushojax, but when you get beat 5-1 there is next to no excuse, phantom goal or no. Call it insurance if you want, but even without it there was a 3 goal margin. Plus, it's not as if the wind was taken out of Spurs sails, they scored just after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom