• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Had a cack nights sleep, so I've just woken up, what's happened. Anything more than:

Cazorla signs
City bid for Sinclair
Oh and Laudrup's said Allen will cost the £15 million
Oh and Spurs bid for Damaio

Clegg

From Bloomberg:

Manchester United Ltd., the English soccer team with a record 19 national championships, received enough orders for all shares being sold in its U.S. initial public offering, said two people with knowledge of the matter.

The company and its owner, the Glazer family, are seeking to raise as much as $333 million by selling 16.7 million shares at $16 to $20 each, according to a regulatory filing last month. Banks managing the IPO are scheduled to stop taking orders for the shares at noon in New York on Aug. 9, according to one of the people, who declined to be identified because the talks are private.

United, whose players include England’s striker Wayne Rooney and Welshman Ryan Giggs, picked the U.S. as its listing venue after ditching plans for a share sale of as much as $1 billion in Singapore. The Glazer family acquired United for 790 million pounds ($980 million) in 2005, and also own the National Football League’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Manchester United spokesman Philip Townsend declined to comment.
The company and its owner, the Glazer family, are seeking to raise as much as $333 million by selling 16.7 million shares at $16 to $20 each, according to a regulatory filing last month. Banks managing the IPO are scheduled to stop taking orders for the shares at noon in New York on Aug. 9, according to one of the people, who declined to be identified because the talks are private.

United, whose players include England’s striker Wayne Rooney and Welshman Ryan Giggs, picked the U.S. as its listing venue after ditching plans for a share sale of as much as $1 billion in Singapore. The Glazer family acquired United for 790 million pounds ($980 million) in 2005, and also own the National Football League’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Manchester United spokesman Philip Townsend declined to comment.

WAT

qindarka

Banned
Yeah, that would be a disastrous move for Moses. He gets to start every week for Wigan, at Chelsea he probably wouldn't get off the bench most weeks. I don't understand why Chelsea want him, besides going back to their old ways of hoarding players so other clubs can't get them.

I think he would at least get on the bench every game and would start a fair few as well, providing they don't get anyone else. Chelsea only have Ramires on the right for now and he may well go back to the centre at times.

Of course, the deal is far from being done.

According to Marca, Liverpool are in for Sahin.

http://www.marca.com/2012/08/07/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1344327736.html

Nani is pretty predictable too tbh.

I don't really like Young either but from a purely statistical point of view him and Nani were pretty much on a par with goals to games last year (Young got 8 in 32 vs Nani getting 10 in 40) and at least Young has the ability to take set pieces which Nani does not, and I presume Young could play on the right hand side too, I'd find it bizarre for a right footed player to not be able to.

It's not that I really want rid of Nani but when it comes between getting rid of him and Young, Nani will be the easier to move on and we'd get more money for him too. He's a good player but I find him overrated by the majority of United fans, and if the right offer came in I'd be happy enough to see him go and a replacement, like James Rodriquez, come in his place.

I think Nani is better at playing in tighter spaces, and in taking on players. Young only ever does his 1 touch to the right and then either crosses it or shoots it both towards the far post.

Edit: Also, if Glazers were to ever sell, a lot of you think 3 billion would be too much for United. The Dodgers, a baseball team, were sold for 2 billion and they aren't even close to being as big as United. Just something to think about.

Clegg

I'm even more pissed off at the Glazers tbh.

We could have wiped £150m off the debt instead of £75m.

At least its a start.

Slizz

This thread man, the muppetry.

1642366_o.gif

I can't take it.

Arnie

I had a feeling this would happen. Finally some good news.

That isn't good news. Not really, anyway. In the grand scheme of things it's very bad, the Glazers can now auction of tiny slices of the club to line their pockets, and some morons will pay.

pappe

That isn't good news. Not really, anyway. In the grand scheme of things it's very bad, the Glazers can now auction of tiny slices of the club to line their pockets, and some morons will pay.
Well if the IPO is successful the debt WILL be reduced by 75mil. even though thats a tiny amount its still something and atleast the club will hold some brand value.If the IPO had failed the brand value of the club would have suffered. And yea in the future there will be similar offerings but if the debt is reduced and the voting rights are with the right people i dont see how it would hurt the club.

K1LLER7

Our future signing talks

Usain Bolt: "Rio Ferdinand has tweeted me and says he will hook me up for a [Manchester United] trial so I am looking forward to that" #MUFC

Also Smalling has had a setback and will be out for a while longer

pappe

I imagine Bolt will sell a good number of shirts all over. Hmmm would not be a bad signing financially and he cant be worse than Bebe and Anderson.

Arnie

Well if the IPO is successful the debt WILL be reduced by 75mil. even though thats a tiny amount its still something and atleast the club will hold some brand value.If the IPO had failed the brand value of the club would have suffered. And yea in the future there will be similar offerings but if the debt is reduced and the voting rights are with the right people i dont see how it would hurt the club.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the overall interest reduction come in at something like £4 million a year? That's tiny.

Everton's up too. Watched them both and I agree that it'll be tough for RDM to drop Terry, although it probably needs to happen, ala Carragher. Looking forward to seeing Ross Barkley next season too, you get the impression Moyes was protecting him last season from the sort of hyperbole that Rooney received. All my friends and family who've watched Everton this pre-season tell me he's been excellent.

Clegg

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the overall interest reduction come in at something like £4 million a year? That's tiny.

Its still a reduction of our overall indebtedness.

With the new Chevrolet deal I'd imagine we'll see another, albeit smaller, payment to buy back more of the debt.

The Glazers are leeches but I'm trying to see the positive side of things.

Arnie

Its still a reduction of our overall indebtedness.

With the new Chevrolet deal I'd imagine we'll see another, albeit smaller, payment to buy back more of the debt.

The Glazers are leeches but I'm trying to see the positive side of things.

The reduction's so minuscule that it isn't worth forfeiting the added security of the Glazers. What you really wanted to happen is the IPO to fail, it not to be underwritten, and the Glazers to sell up.

pappe

The reduction's so minuscule that it isn't worth forfeiting the added security of the Glazers. What you really wanted to happen is the IPO to fail, it not to be underwritten, and the Glazers to sell up.

Even though its miniscule its a difference nonetheless and 4-5 mill a year is sufficient to pay the yearly salary for 1 good player. Glazers will be whoring out the club thats now a reality we will have to live with. Soon the stadium naming rights will be up for sale but if they achieve deals like the Chevrolet ones and increase the overall club value and are honest enough to reduce the debt with each and every such deal it softens the blow a bit and ultimately in the long run will pay off.

I don't know why people still think the Glazer's will do something for the good of the club.

Maybe i'm too cynical but I struggle to find anything good that they've done over the last 7 years.

Why would they start now?

This ensures that if they ever do sell up they will ask for £2bn. Lame.

pappe

I don't know why people still think the Glazer's will do something for the good of the club.

Maybe i'm too cynical but I struggle to find anything good that they've done over the last 7 years.

Let me hope. Let me sleep at night peacefully.

dc89

@mcfc said:
COMMUNITY SHIELD: #MCFC will be sporting their new @umbro maroon away strip this Sunday at Villa Park when we take on @chelseafc #together

So Chelsea are the 'home' side in that game?

Like I mentioned before, the Dodgers (baseball) were bought for $2 billion. They're not even close to being as valuable as United are. Someone would buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom