• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Ask them the same question and swap Ancelotti for Mourinho. Guarantee at least 95% would have him back.

I don't have much faith in RDM myself. I think the players were pulling an Avram and playing for themselves
I'd be astonished if it wasn't in the high nineties.

I don't want to completely discredit what RDM did, but it'll be massively different managing a team from the beginning of a season, and adopting all the pressure and responsibility for the results that surround that, as opposed to coming in mid way through with little to lose, and a lack of pressure on you.

Di Matteo's league record was worse than AVB's, although he did have less time in charge. Factor in a huge increase in expectations in the league, given the money spent on signings and the Champions League win, and the huge added pressure on Di Matteo as the permanent manager and it's an unenviable position.

This isn't in any way a reaction to that PSG goal, just to clarify, I began writing before I heard it go in.

Fintan

I'd be astonished if it wasn't in the high nineties.

I don't want to completely discredit what RDM did, but it'll be massively different managing a team from the beginning of a season, and adopting all the pressure and responsibility for the results that surround that, as opposed to coming in mid way through with little to lose, and a lack of pressure on you.

Di Matteo's league record was worse than AVB's, although he did have less time in charge. Factor in a huge increase in expectations in the league, given the money spent on signings and the Champions League win, and the huge added pressure on Di Matteo as the permanent manager and it's an unenviable position.

This isn't in any way a reaction to that PSG goal, just to clarify, I began writing before I heard it go in.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. I have faith!

To be fair to him, we weren't exactly playing our strongest sides in a lot of those league games.

Arnie

To be fair to him, we weren't exactly playing our strongest sides in a lot of those league games.
Very true.

Watching this game I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea are one of those mysterious teams who've bid on M'Vila. Essien's legs have gone completely, and Mikel's just not good enough (never has been imo).
This is a pre-season match mang, even Charlie Adam looked good yesterday.

That's a shot in the dark since I couldn't watch the match!
He was really good one minute, then woeful the next. A nice mix of short and long range playmaking, then bang, an overhit hollywood pass or a laughably shit corner/freekick that barely leaves the floor and doesn't clear the first man.

Wilbur

Banned
Very true.

Watching this game I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea are one of those mysterious teams who've bid on M'Vila. Essien's legs have gone completely, and Mikel's just not good enough (never has been imo).

They definitely need someone who is willing to sit back at all times when Ramires and Luiz are bombing up the pitch. I've seen Mikel have one good game in about 4 years, and surprisingly that was in the champions League final.

Is the best striker in the world on the bench for PSG?

Euros bro, back next week.

Messi

Just got back from Dark Knight. Loved it. Want a catwoman avatar now. Can someone hook me up if its not too much trouble? :)

As do I. It's not like he came in and changed nothing. We've adopted his preferred formation and some of the preferred players under AVB were dropped. I think Dobby Di gets less credit than he's due.

Wilbur

Banned
As do I. It's not like he came in and changed nothing. We've adopted his preferred formation and some of the preferred players under AVB were dropped. I think he Dobby Di gets less credit than he's due.

I think he's a company man. It's not a shame, and it's probably better under Roman but I don't see him having his own ideas, I don't see him making huge strides over a few years. I do think your style of play will get better purely because you've got a few new attractive players.

I think he'll be gone by the end of next season, if not sooner.

Slizz

Just got back from Dark Knight. Loved it. Want a catwoman avatar now. Can someone hook me up if its not too much trouble? :)

Glad you liked it, twas really awesome.

1zAHA.jpg

5rGuA.jpg

Arnie

As do I. It's not like he came in and changed nothing. We've adopted his preferred formation and some of the preferred players under AVB were dropped. I think he Dobby Di gets less credit than he's due.
It's not that I think he passively won the Champions League, his impact on both the playing staff and the system they played was immediately evident, I just think the conditions for him to succeed were perfect (barring the precarious second leg tie against Napoli), and thus I'm not going to draw too much from his brief third of a season.

And I'm talking with experience, Liverpool were almost second in the league on form in the second half of the 10/11 season after Dalglish took over, which didn't mean squat when it came to his first full one. Obviously both cases are separate, with wildly different factors, but I believe parallels can be drawn.

Alucard

Banned
If/When Van Persie is moved, does Arsenal go after another striker on the market, or will they go into the season with Chu-Young Park as their main striker? I'd actually like to see what he can do.

K1LLER7

Euros bro, back next week.

Nah, announcers said he joins the team Tuesday and will announce how soon he'll be playing.

Nope, he's still counting his wages. Starts training on Tuesday or something.

edit: beaten
oh, thanks, thought he might be back :( PSG playing well it seems, they'll be a force with Ibra and T.Silva back. Lets hope City get them in the CL.

Montero plays for the Seattle Sounders, mate.

He ain't as good as Bebe ;)

It's not that I think he passively won the Champions League, his impact on both the playing staff and the system they played was immediately evident, I just think the conditions for him to succeed were perfect (barring the precarious second leg tie against Napoli), and thus I'm not going to draw too much from his brief third of a season.

And I'm talking with experience, Liverpool were almost second in the league on form in the second half of the 10/11 season after Dalglish took over, which didn't mean squat when it came to his first full one. Obviously both cases are separate, with wildly different factors, but I believe parallels can be drawn.
Yeah I can see where you're coming from. But then Kenny's signings were a bit dick which didn't help. I at last feel we've made greater strides in that department. Time will tell.

Out of curiosity, how do you mean the precarious 2nd leg? Ended 4-1.

Lukaku's first touch is atrocious.
Me and my brother just saying as much.

Salvadora

Derp-a-derp. Sorry. Haven't been following the offseason and I'm just trying to catch up what's happening with Arsenal with the impending NHL lockout looking more and more likely. Gotta watch something!

Wenger would play Chamakh over Park if it came down to it anyway.

Arnie

Out of curiosity, how do you mean the precarious 2nd leg? Ended 4-1.
Didn't Di Matteo come in when Chelsea were losing on aggregate after the first leg? I meant that whilst the conditions for Di Matteo to succeed were good, it wasn't all rosy, as he still had a tough game against Napoli to win.

Wow, nice one Awesome, saw you post that on Twitter before and thought that was you.

He's a battering ram atm. No more, no less.

Do you think we need another striker Kyle?
I think Torres has to shine with the players he now has behind him. I've been impressed with Hazard and Marin from what I've seen of them. We already know what Mata can do. I suppose Sturridge is an option, but honestly the jury is still out on him and Lukaku for me. So maybe somebody else to compete for a place wouldn't hurt.

They both look surprised there was actually two Villa fans in the US. But awesome man. :p
lol

Didn't Di Matteo come in when Chelsea were losing on aggregate after the first leg? I meant that whilst the conditions for Di Matteo to succeed were good, it wasn't all rosy, as he still had a tough game against Napoli to win.
Sorry, now I follow you. Yeah he did. Ended 5-4 after both legs.

They both look surprised there was actually two Villa fans in the US. But awesome man. :p

The line was pretty impressive. We got there an hour early and there were already about 20 people in line. By the time the players got there the line was around the block!!

Bent showed up a bit late because he strained his thigh in training that morning. I asked them about Lichaj and Guzan, both being American and from Chicago, and thanked them for coming and told them how much it meant for the American Villa contingent. We went to a supporters bar after wards and it was packed with Claret and Blue.

Slizz

The line was pretty impressive. We got there an hour early and there were already about 20 people in line. By the time the players got there the line was around the block!!

Bent showed up a bit late because he strained his thigh in training that morning. I asked them about Lichaj and Guzan, both being American and from Chicago, and thanked them for coming and told them how much it meant for the American Villa contingent. We went to a supporters bar after wards and it was packed with Claret and Blue.

Sounds like a genuinely fun day man.

Wish United would come here.... All I got is Chelsea vs. AC Milan on Saturday...

Still contemplating if I wanna go as I can get lower bowl tickets for 35 bucks...

Messi

Did you meet Bent?

Sounds like a genuinely fun day man.

Wish United would come here.... All I got is Chelsea vs. AC Milan on Saturday...

Still contemplating if I wanna go as I can get lower bowl tickets for 35 bucks...

Go just to see Ibr...oh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom