• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outsanity

So I just googled Piazon, not knowing much about him, and the Wikipedia article has already been updated saying he scored against PSG. Crazy.

Hahaha Ivan angry as fuck

Wooden, Ivan on crossbar gif please.

ibhsYxL25RQbOB.gif

Think we looked much better second half. I never know what to take away from these games given that it's largely a disjointed squad playing.

McEachran, for a young player who gets so much talk hasn't ever impressed me so much. Kakuta looked a bit lost tonight. Essien is done, but sure we know that. Lukaku is yet to impress me, though he looked decent against the Sounders. He does however have the first touch of a rapist.

Happy with our starting defenders. Will be nice to see them all line up beside one another. Hutch looked okay but a bit out of it at times. Think Chalobah has looked good too.

Marin and Hazard continue to excite. Particularly Marin as he came in on the cheap and looks to be a real bargain.

Piazon with a nice goal. Looking forward to Torres coming back for more options, though can't see him producing much in the pre-season side.

As for the Olympians, we will see what they have to offer when the season starts.

Lightning

Banned
Is Wenger playing games?
I can sort of see Wenger's point but given no time frame for Wilshere and Diaby's record and Arteta's record with Everton was patchy as well, we really need cover there. Especially given the fact that when Arteta got injured last season we completely fell apart. If Diaby stays fit though, big if, then Wenger is right and no need for M'Vila.

I would honestly prefer a attacking midfielder over M'Vila though. I feel that is more important for us.

sohois

Ena7D.jpg

Was pretty difficult picking the goalie and I'll probably have to change Modric if he leaves, but otherwise I'm satisfied with this team.

GorillaJu

7pN1s.jpg

Good team, IMO.

Now to join the Paypal league and the GAF league!

My critique

Fellaini doesn't get too many points. Arteta will probably be relied on less for goals with Podolski and Giroud likely starting, and Podolski likely taking free kick duties.

Agger is expensive for a defender and he's injury prone. I don't think relying on promoted team strikers at the start is a good idea. I have Lambert too, but how many times do you see promoted team strikers scoring many goals in the first few weeks?

Kagawa is a new signing and all United midfielders are prone to heavy rotation (lol AKB48) so I'd wait a few weeks to see what his situation is.

rodvik

Ena7D.jpg

Was pretty difficult picking the goalie and I'll probably have to change Modric if he leaves, but otherwise I'm satisfied with this team.

BAWAHAHAHA! I love it. You are right the goalie is the toughest position to fill. I cant think of any that fit though. :(

I can sort of see Wenger's point but given no time frame for Wilshere and Diaby's record and Arteta's record with Everton was patchy as well, we really need cover there. Especially given the fact that when Arteta got injured last season we completely fell apart. If Diaby stays fit though, big if, then Wenger is right and no need for M'Vila.

I would honestly prefer a attacking midfielder over M'Vila though. I feel that is more important for us.

One of our big problems last year was leaking goals. Song, who is supposed to be a fucking defensive midfielder, galloped forward way too often for my liking, and all we needed was for someone to just sit in front of the back four and make key interceptions and tackles and distribute the ball to our creative players, someone like Busquets who is brilliant at this.

An attacking mid would be nice obviously, but the defence is the most important part of the team for me.

Lightning

Banned
One of our big problems last year was leaking goals. Song, who is supposed to be a fucking defensive midfielder, galloped forward way too often for my liking, and all we needed was for someone to just sit in front of the back four and make key interceptions and tackles and distribute the ball to our creative players, someone like Busquets who is brilliant at this.

An attacking mid would be nice obviously, but the defence is the most important part of the team for me.
I don't agree. Alex Song is a very good defensive midfielder but the lack of creativity in front of him is a problem. Ramsey needs more development, Chamberlain needs more development, Wilshere hasn't shown creativity and is not even fit, Rosicky is always injured and not good enough anyway etc... Alex Song is young and has an excellent touch. Yes, him galloping forward exposing the back 4 is frustrating but replacing him with M'Vila won’t solve any problems for us because we will have creativity issues without him.

Not to mention benching him will cause him to leave us which will be a bad loss for us. Song's laziness in some games is extremely frustrating but I love his assists and he will get better. If M'Vila comes in then he will need to take Arteta's spot but Arteta is already excellent defensively and essential to our midfield ticking over.

For me, a Fabregas replacement so Song doesnt feel the need to come forward so much is a much better option for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom