• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Just read that Wenger quote about Diaby. Jesus fucking Christ... there are no words. Can't wait for him to have a ridiculously great (injury free) season the last year of his contract too to cement his place as "first name on the French team sheet".

We need M'Vila and we need an attacking midfielder (Carzola would be fine too). we shouldn't have to choose, especially with the funds coming in from RVP's impending sale. I'm not sure if Alex Song is a shit defensive midfielder and a great lobber of the ball, or if he just didn't get a chance, but at the very least, Song's ability or not, Frimpong is not a good enough backup and should be sent on loan (and hopefully not tear his ligaments again). Need another DM for sure.

pappe

Well to be fair to Wenger and coming out and saying that they are in for M'Vila is not a smart move as it will alert their rivals or others who are courting him.

dc89

Brazilian media saying that Moura's agent Wagner Ribeiro and Sao Paulo are denying a deal has been agreed with United.

Sky's Graeme Bailey.

Kinda makes sense considering the other day the club said they wouldn't accept anything below a certain amount.

jtb

Banned
Well to be fair to Wenger and coming out and saying that they are in for M'Vila is not a smart move as it will alert their rivals or others who are courting him.

true. and Wenger is known for usually answering every question that gets thrown his way, but still. Did he have to rub salt in the wound by mentioning DIABY?!? the fact that he's on 50k a week is insulting.

elseanio

Look at this beautiful picture:

cEwsv.jpg

dc89

I like Puma's shirt printing how it's all pixelly. If that's a word.

Also more Silva rumors. New deal to be announced next week via his new Twiter page! £190k per week, 5 years. That should keep Madrid away nicely.

One of our big problems last year was leaking goals. Song, who is supposed to be a fucking defensive midfielder, galloped forward way too often for my liking, and all we needed was for someone to just sit in front of the back four and make key interceptions and tackles and distribute the ball to our creative players, someone like Busquets who is brilliant at this.

An attacking mid would be nice obviously, but the defence is the most important part of the team for me.

Song was doing what he was told to do, really. He's being asked to play a box-to-box role while Arteta does a Busquets job, but unfortunately for us, Arteta is not Busquets.

Some feel we need defenders but I'm convinced our problem is the protection of our defence. We allow teams less chances than even Man Utd yet we conceded 49 goals, that's stupid and down to the fact we allow teams good chances. They never take pot-shots against us because there is always space in the hole where they can make a pass to create a (half) chance. We need to plug that hole, it's as simple as that.

His reaction to Cazorla (grinning then saying "I don't know this guy!") was encouraging, and he's a genuinely amazing footballer, but DM is the main priority.

Luckily there's still the possibility Arsene is playing games, but his faith in Diaby troubles me. It would've been like City hoping Hargreaves was the answer for them last season.

Arnie

Arnie your new avatar is boss as fuck. Long may it reign.
It was either this or Lucas, but I feel Suso fits the theme of pre-season nicely.

Wenger relying on Diaby makes me laugh, I remember when he came on at Anfield last season, sort of controlled the midfield for about 10 minutes, then went off injured again. The guy's a really good player, but he's just a crock.

jtb

Banned
Song was doing what he was told to do, really. He's being asked to play a box-to-box role while Arteta does a Busquets job, but unfortunately for us, Arteta is not Busquets.

Some feel we need defenders but I'm convinced our problem is the protection of our defence. We allow teams less chances than even Man Utd yet we conceded 49 goals, that's stupid and down to the fact we allow teams good chances. They never take pot-shots against us because there is always space in the hole where they can make a pass to create a (half) chance. We need to plug that hole, it's as simple as that.

His reaction to Cazorla (grinning then saying "I don't know this guy!") was encouraging, and he's a genuinely amazing footballer, but DM is the main priority.

Luckily there's still the possibility Arsene is playing games, but his faith in Diaby troubles me. It would've been like City hoping Hargreaves was the answer for them last season.

yup. Haven't had a quality DM whose job was simply to tackle and restrict space (Arteta's more of a pivot player for me, than a pure DM... kinda like Alonso-lite) since Flamini left. His departure and Wenger's (or the board's) refusal to replace him have cost this team time and time again.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Wilshere out until October?

Damn. That
ban
is taking longer than we thought.

What's with all their injuries? Is it Wenger rushing them in? Their fitness/medical staff?

Maybe RVP isn't injury prone after all.
I'm pushing it I know

dc89

What's with all their injuries? Is it Wenger rushing them in? Their fitness/medical staff?

I'm pushing it I know

I think Wilshere's is more than an injury personally.

Also Wenger in his press conference said he wants RVP to stay. Probably already posted but said he's not going for M'Vila. WHY?! He'd be good in that Arsenal side.

Well, if City don't move for De Rossi they will try and get M'Vila.

Arnie

I'm pushing it I know

Don't think this is a fresh injury, just the same persistent problem he's been suffering with for a season. It's passed the point of being damaging now, and moved into ominous territory though. As we said, the sheer length and unpredictability screams 'career ender'. That is unless it's not all a smokescreen to avoid a drugs test.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Wilshere hasn't had a setback, Wenger says his ankle and knee are fine. He just hasn't played football for a year. It takes a long time to get back to a level where you can play in the PL, he needs the next 2 or 3 months to get his fitness.

Didn't De Rossi sign a new contract with Roma a few months ago?

Not that that stops anybody moving these days, just would have throught City would have made sure they got him back then.

dc89

Not that that stops anybody moving these days, just would have throught City would have made sure they got him back then.

Yeah he did back in January. Extra 4 years IIRC. Mancini tried in Jan, was told no - make do with what you have. So we got Pizarro on loan.

De Rossi is his dream signing though. I could see it happening, but not for less than £30m. Yikes.

Is there a footie-gaf EPL fantasy league going on?

What's the code to enter? And is the EPL fantasy site working alright for you guys? It shows up funny and won't let me log in here.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Jovetic missed the whole 2010-2011 season and then came back better than ever. I hope that's the case for Wilshere.

De Rossi is not leaving Roma this season.

Arnie

Wilshere hasn't had a setback, Wenger says his ankle and knee are fine. He just hasn't played football for a year. It takes a long time to get back to a level where you can play in the PL, he needs the next 2 or 3 months to get his fitness.
Surprisingly optimistic for a Spurs fan. I like to stick to the sensationalist drug habit stories.

Still think it's more than a traditional injury though, as DC said. It's been far too vague, and gone on for far too long, with far too little communication with the Arsenal fanbase to be a run of the mill, albeit prolonged injury.

For the price he'd cost considering his contract (if he did sign one, I'm merely pontificating), plus his age (28), I don't think he'd represent good business. I rate the player, but there comes a time when you have to accept that there are better options out there in the long term.

There's a fine line to be struck, though. Paying £30 million for a player already at his peak is nearly as dangerous as paying that amount for a 19 year old, in my book.

dc89

M'Vila would prove better value if the fee seems silly.

Reports coming out of Brazil suggest Chelsea have agreed a fee for Oscar.

Back from a doctors appointment this morning..

I've either torn my rectus sheath muscle or I have a Spigelian hernia - a rare type that has the highest risk of strangulation. I've been laboured up for weeks on ibuprofen and now I've got to wait a while longer for an ultrasound scan that could result in surgery. All this from a relatively innocuous stretch in bed.. I'm never sleeping on my front again!

Looks like I'm going to be spending a lot more time on GAF. Wall of shame, we're coming for you.

Arnie

Back from a doctors appointment this morning.

I went the doctors this morning, it's the only reason I'm up. Been getting a numb sensation in the joint where my leg meets my groin. The doctor basically had a feel around, analysed my entire testicle region, then concluded that it was a completely innocuous feeling brought about by trapped nerves when I sit down. All's well, basically.

dc89

I went the doctors this morning, it's the only reason I'm up. Been getting a numb sensation in the joint where my leg meets my groin. The doctor basically had a feel around, analysed my entire testicle region, then concluded that it was a completely innocuous feeling brought about by trapped nerves when I sit down. All's well, basically.

Not to make light of any doctors visit but that was no Dr. That was Wilbury.

Oxx

I'm going to stop moaning about my pollen allergy now. I can't compete with these rectal and genital problems.

dc89

Yeah, that does sound like Wilbury.

Human bodies are the worst.

Yeah they suck. Big time.

I remember a few years back I had this pressure in my head. No a headache, but it felt like my brain was too big for my skull.

I thought something was really wrong with me.

Trip to the Dr's and they did some tests and put it down as a virus - 2 weeks off work.

It stayed around for a bit afterwards on and off. I personally thought it was my wisdom teeth, as they were coming through at the same time.

I'm going to stop moaning about my pollen allergy now. I can't compete with these rectal and genital problems.

It's not an arse problem! It's the muscle that comes up your groin and up your chest. It's basically your six pack, I think.

Just to clear that up..

Doctors don't exactly inspire you with confidence, do they dc?

dc89

It's not an arse problem! It's the muscle that comes up your groin and up your chest. It's basically your six pack, I think.

Just to clear that up..

Doctors don't exactly inspire you with confidence, do they dc?

Well they reassured me I had nothing major. But I don't think it was a virus in the end. When my teeth came through it all stopped.

Clegg

SAF has just held a presser at the team hotel in China. Says Vidic resumed full training as of today.

Also said that United haven't reached an agreement with Lucas but are still interested in signing him.

Quotes: We're not lying on our backsides doing nothing. We're trying hard to bring other players to the club.

GorillaJu

I have similar sensations all around my extremities. If you're stressed or your posture is poor (or both) you can exacerbate that quite a bit because your muscles tighten up unnaturally and constrict your nerves.

SAF has just held a presser at the team hotel in China. Says Vidic resumed full training as of today.

Also said that United haven't reached an agreement with Lucas but are still interested in signing him.

Quotes: We're not lying on our backsides doing nothing. We're trying hard to bring other players to the club.

@MandyHenryMedia: SAF on Moura: "We haven't reached an agreement - we've shown interest.Until such time we reach an agreement we can't say he's ours" #mufc

Sounds confident I think.

dc89

We're not City. :(

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has ruled out an immediate move for Yann M'Vila. http://t.co/GqA4LqNw
Sky's Graeme Bailey

GOGOGO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom