• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

It's weird for Ferguson to talk so openly about a transfer that won't happen. Smokescreen?

Thats what I originally thought.

But for who? There are no other targets that I can really think of.

Nuri Sahin perhaps? But I don't think theres a massive demand for him.

Hardly the need for a smokescreen.

In the end I think we'll be priced out of a move for Lucas.

K1LLER7

I think it's the wages that are the real problem, Ferguson wants to keep some kind of wage structure.
I think the 20% fee Moura and his agent receive is the problem. Can't see wages being too much of a problem when he only gets around 10,000 a week at the moment. That figure will no doubt be improved.

LegoArmo

I think the 20% fee Moura and his agent receive is the problem. Can't see wages being too much of a problem when he only gets around 10,000 a week at the moment. That figure will no doubt be improved.

Aye, I meant with Sneijder and possibly with Van Persie. I'm pretty confident Lucas will get done.

Lucas Moura looking pretty certain. ~30m and 30k/week salary not too prohibitive at all. More versatile competition along the forward line. Certainly gives United more leverage over Nani with the contract renewal.

Doubt RVP happens. If he wants wages, he'll go to City. If he wants to play nice, he'll go to Juve. Starting to think Fergie might wait for Fabio to come back, and seriously use Blackett/Brady as backup - no Baines. Also half-sure Anderson and Fletcher will be given a (final?) chance this season to overcome their obstacles, before a new midfielder is signed.

So, Moura now. And Sahin next summer. <3

choodi

Banned
Tim Cahill joins New York Redbulls?

Wut.

Yeah, I thought he had one more season in him at the top level. He should have come home to play in the A-League.

...and fuck you to all the Tim Cahill haters. Great player and all-round nice guy.

WJD

Lucas Moura looking pretty certain. ~30m and 30k/week salary not too prohibitive at all. More versatile competition along the forward line. Certainly gives United more leverage over Nani with the contract renewal.

Doubt RVP happens. If he wants wages, he'll go to City. If he wants to play nice, he'll go to Juve. Starting to think Fergie might wait for Fabio to come back, and seriously use Blackett/Brady as backup - no Baines. Also half-sure Anderson and Fletcher will be given a (final?) chance this season to overcome their obstacles, before a new midfielder is signed.

So, Moura now. And Sahin next summer. <3

I see Moura as a Giggs replacement who was meant to be signed next summer, but something forced Fergie's hand a bit early.

I lol at anyone who seriously thinks we might sign RVP.

Baines has gone very quiet; I reckon he'd be a good signing but I wouldn't want to spend more than £10m on him to be honest.

99% certain no midfielder will be signed this summer.

Clegg

Cazorla would be a brilliant signing for Arsenal.

If United hadn't signed Kagawa then I reckon we'd be after Cazorla too.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Heh, the little shit is back in training.

The Club can confirm Luka Modric has returned to training today (Monday) at Spurs Lodge.

The coaching staff will now determine the remainder of his pre-season preparation.

levy-main-248614960.jpg

Zabojnik

GoonerGaf, where you at?

The Spain winger Santi Cazorla has told Arsenal that he is prepared to leave Málaga to join them. Arsène Wenger is keen to sign Cazorla, whom he monitored last summer, and he is hopeful that an offer of €20m (£15.6m) can close the deal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/23/arsenal-santi-cazorla-malaga?

Sid Lowe reporting = my hopes sky high...

"20M€, you say? Well, well, well, Arsene. Guess how high we're willing to go for RVP?"

marottinoalfetta.png

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mancini fears City are losing chase for wantaway Arsenal skipper Van Persie. (Daily Mail)

<3 you Yurt

I know who Di Marzio is. I meant who needs Di Marzio when I predicted Pazzini to Juve in May :p

Haha sorry I'm pretty slow tonight! I blame this sambusa!
BVGgg.gif

Zabojnik said:
"20M&#8364;, you say? Well, well, well, Arsene. Guess how high we're willing to go for RVP?"

ofee0.png
ofee0.png
ofee0.png

Salvadora

jtb

Banned
GoonerGaf, where you at?

The Spain winger Santi Cazorla has told Arsenal that he is prepared to leave Málaga to join them. Arsène Wenger is keen to sign Cazorla, whom he monitored last summer, and he is hopeful that an offer of €20m (£15.6m) can close the deal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/23/arsenal-santi-cazorla-malaga?

Sid Lowe reporting = my hopes sky high...

just hope this deal doesn't hinge on RVP's transfer, I will be livid if we miss out on Cazorla because of a couple million. 15.6m would be the club's record signing, just a tad over Arshavin I think. Do wish we were in for a classic number 10 though; having said that, a natural winger for once would be great. Gervinho/Cazorla/Theo/Ox are lots of versatile options (and I wouldn't be surprised if Wenger started playing Oxlade-Chamberlain down the middle far more after that Milan game. Can we play Theo as a striker too plz? kthx)

Though perhaps this is a contingency for if Theo leaves? Too many possibilities... regardless, it's a positive move, and Sid Lowe is quite credible.

Kyoufu

It'd be nice to pretend we were. I liked it better when we spent fuck all and finished a couple points behind United and co., rather than ~20 points :( No need turning 20 into 30.

I don't get why Arsenal aren't spending big money. Are they in debt?

edit: looks like you guys are spending a good amount.

K1LLER7

Think we'll sign Moura and that will be it.

Evra will be the main LB with players like Brady/Blacket/jones/Smalling being used there as back up until Fabio gets back next season.

On midfield, Think Carrick will start the majority of games alongside either Ando/Cleverly/Powell/Scholes. Depending on how they do, Fergie might sign a CM next summer. Don't think he will this transfer window.

In strike, don't see us signing RVP meaning It'll be Rooney, backed by Welbeck/Chicha/Bebe. Think Berba will leave. There was a striker from Chile (?) we were linked with who I think we may sign and come in next year.

Messi

Guys,

If I never watch the final 2 episodes of House, there will always be more 13.

If I never watch the final season of chuck there will always be more Sarah to watch.

:(

I am not good with shows ending.

Arnie

Well done Levy. Get that little shit running his arse off on his own. It's what he deserves.

Cazorla to Arsenal would be fantastic. They get M'Vila as well and their team's looking immense, ahead of the defence anyway.

jtb

Banned
I don't get why Arsenal aren't spending big money. Are they in debt?

edit: looks like you guys are spending a good amount.

mix of Stadium debt, horrible long-term sponsorship deals, stubbornness/stinginess on the part of the board/Wenger, and an idiotic wage structure. it's not that we don't spend big money, we're up there behind United, Chelsea, Liverpool with big wages, it's just that those huge wages (50k for injury prone players like Diaby, deadwood like Bendtner, Squillaci, Chamakh, Almunia, etc. the list goes on) prevent large transfer fees and big wages for the players who are good, like Nasri and RVP.

Not that we really need large transfer fees, you can still find the right player for a decent price. (Obviously Newcastle have been excellent at this lately) Cazorla, together with Giroud and Podolski would make up a quality striker force for a decent cut-rate price. Think Gervinho will come good next season too. The routs at Old Trafford and the San Siro seem to have knocked some sense back into Wenger, taking care of the stubbornness part. Can't wait for Theo to be given an 80k/week contract and become Arsenal's highest paid player once RVP leaves and undo all the progress that's been made so far.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'll miss watching Tim Cahill play for the club. He is an Everton legend and I'll always think highly of him despite his terrible performances this past season and a half.

Carzola would be an exciting signing. Apparently he played in lots of positions across the midfield last season for Malaga so he would be a useful player.

jtb

Banned
I can't see Gervinho becoming good next season, I hope/pray that he will but I highly doubt it. He looked woeful last season.

Eh, for me he can dribble, shoot, cross all with relative consistency. His problem is his horrendous decision making and he panics on the ball too much (missing that pen in the ACON final couldn't have helped either). the ACON, first season in the PL, a horrible start (sent off at St. James and all the losses that followed)... he didn't really have any chance to settle once the season began last year. I think if he settles well this time around, he'll adapt much better to the PL and could become quality. I mean, he was pretty highly rated at Lille along with Hazard so, despite Wenger's best efforts, there's probably a quality player in there somewhere.

Regardless, even last season's Gervinho is an improvement over one-trick-Theo.

jtb

Banned
Wenger being a hypocrite isn't exactly news :lol. Though Arsenal's far cleaner now than back in the Vieira days... these days, players like Frimpong and Gervinho get red cards because they are idiots, rather than being dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom