• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Stoke away should be fun on the 26th of next month. I agree with Walrus, Its sheer stupidity most of the time rather than malicious intent.

fuenf

I hate Film/Cinema-GAF, how on earth could they hype up John Carter? :( The film is worse than Prince of Persia.

edit: in football news: Bild is reporting that Leverkusen wants 25m for Bender but i still doubt that they'll sell him, doesnt make any sense to keep Schürrle but sell Bender.

Kyoufu

This could all end horribly wrong.

Debuchy could end up going to Inter...

Cabaye could end up going to a bigger club due to Debuchy signing failure.

:(

Fady K

How much will United pay for Moura? 30+ million Euros? If so I'd find it hypocritical by Ferguson after saying that Hazard is silly money.

He has done miles better than I thought he was going to do and now if we don't bring in Hulk I still feel happy with Marin - Mata - Hazard. I just hope he does cross a little more and not just cut in and shoot all the time like Sturridge.

Yes, he is truly a surprise! I'd like to see him start most games ;)!

More responses...

When are we signing a striker?

Edit: Is Rayman Origins highly recommended? I thinking about it...

Highly recommended, it most definitely is.

Needs another good looking guy with glasses to be complete.

hamsik.jpg

Guy pearce!

Martin Tyler's commentary made it even more heartbreaking. Should have got at least a draw from that game, so many missed chances :(

Agreed. Two offside goals by United in that game. And the home game should not have been a draw. Was so furious about Welbeck's dive. In the end though, to be fair, most clubs get lucky with decisions every now and then so I guess I can't complain.

So jealous of their ability to throw cash at clubs, players and even agents. :(

Don't worry Kyoufu. You club will end up picking up some of the most creative and lethal players for less than 10 million, or even better, for free ;D

Salvadora

Arsenal keen to sign winger Santi Cazorla from troubled Málaga
The Spain winger Santi Cazorla has told Arsenal that he is prepared to leave Málaga to join them. Arsène Wenger is keen to sign Cazorla, whom he monitored last summer, and he is hopeful that an offer of €20m (£15.6m) can close the deal.

Negotiations have taken place between the clubs and, although Málaga's initial response was to point to Cazorla's €45m buy-out clause and effectively discourage Arsenal's interest, the Spanish club's worrying financial situation, which could see them relegated if they do not pay outstanding debts, might force them to sell.

Arsenal's summer business has been overshadowed by the Robin van Persie saga, with the captain intent on leaving the Emirates Stadium. Manchester United, Manchester City and Juventus have made bids, which have been rejected by Arsenal, who will hold out for at least £20m, and the race for his signature is hotting up.

Juventus have been back in contact with Arsenal and they have indicated that they will pay close to the £20m asking price while they could also offer Van Persie an extraordinary contract worth £190,000 a week after tax. Arsenal, if pushed, would prefer to sell to an overseas club but they are preparing for an improved offer from United. Both Manchester clubs have so far offered about £12m.

Wenger has already signed the strikers Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud and the addition of Cazorla would give him another attacking option. He is expected to sell Andrey Arshavin, with clubs in the middle east having expressed an interest, but he would still have Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gervinho in wide areas, although he has experimented with the latter through the middle in pre-season training.

Cazorla wants to leave Málaga, the club he joined for €19m last summer from Villarreal, after wages went unpaid during the campaign and promises were broken. The 27-year-old has told Málaga of his intention to depart and he has also spoken to Arsenal to tell them he is keen on joining them.

Málaga may facilitate the move but the power vacuum and inertia at the club means that the future is uncertain. If Málaga's Qatari owner, Sheikh Abdullah Bin Nasser Al-Thani, does not inject more money, the sale of Cazorla would represent the swiftest way for the Spanish club to cover their debts. If Málaga do not settle those debts by 31 July they face relegation to Second Division B and the loss of their Uefa licence and Champions League participation.

Considering the wealth of the owners and the more than €150m poured into the club over the past two years, Málaga's inertia is baffling. Theoretically, al-Thani could resolve the crisis at a stroke. Sources at the club say that his methods are "different" and that they would not be surprised if the money turned up at the last minute but they cannot count on that. While the debt is outstanding, the Spanish league will not allow them to make any signings.

Cazorla is one of four players, alongside Ruud van Nistelrooy, Salomón Rondón and Joris Mathijsen, who threatened to make a formal complaint against Málaga during a meeting with the president of the Spanish players' union, the AFE, José Luis Rubiales, on 13 July.

After the meeting, Rubiales insisted that an "important" amount of money was still owed to some players but that others had been paid in full. The club reassured the players but, if a lasting agreement is not reached, a meeting can be scheduled on 25 July between the AFE, on the players' behalf, and the LFP (La Liga), on behalf of the club, to reach a resolution.

Villarreal claim Málaga also owe the €3.5m outstanding on the sale of Cazorla, while the Spanish tax authorities are demanding almost €7m. Public debt is not unusual for Spanish clubs but Miguel Cardenal, the president of the Supreme Sports Council, the CSD, introduced a new zero-tolerance policy in April. Both the league and the AFE signed the agreement, according to which clubs with outstanding debts other than previously accrued debts for which payment plans have already been agreed, face automatic relegation.

Since buying the club and becoming president, Al-Thani has invested over €60m in players and taken Málaga to Champions League qualification for the first time. Now, though, there is silence. Neither the owner nor his vice-president are currently in Spain, as has been the case for much of the last year, leaving Málaga in limbo. José Carlos Pérez, the club's consejero, essentially the man running the day-to-day business, died in the spring and the general manager, Fernando Hierro, who had been forced to intervene last season when players had gone unpaid, resigned saying he was no longer "comfortable" in his role.

Meanwhile the Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner is in talks with Galatasaray.
Stuff about the Malaga situation if anyone was wondering, Like I was.

jtb

Banned
Film GAF is the shit. You just have to know that some posters border on self-parody and like it that way.. Sculli and his love of Cameron/Spielberg, Solo's irrational liking of Miami Vice, etc. Been introduced to countless great films (like GAF favorite Speed Racer :lol) through their recommendations.

K1LLER7

How much will United pay for Moura? 30+ million Euros? If so I'd find it hypocritical by Ferguson after saying that Hazard is silly money.
*IF* he signs, in reports it's varied from £26-32 million. With the Hazard deal, the agent fee's seemed to tick SAF off. Think Hazard will be a great signing for Chelsea, really impressive in pre-season so far :)

Kyoufu

Film GAF is the shit. You just have to know that some posters border on self-parody and like it that way.. Sculli and his love of Cameron/Spielberg, Solo's irrational liking of Miami Vice, etc. Been introduced to countless great films (like GAF favorite Speed Racer :lol) through their recommendations.

Speed Racer is great but not really a surprise given the directors. Haven't seen a bad film by them.

fuenf

Worst part of GAF imo.

Fucking clueless with all the fervour of some sort of corporate Hitler youth.

To be fair, its mostly Scullibundo. Don't really get his love for James Cameron - dude's made 2 good films at least (that I've seen).

yeah i should've known better: film bombed, trailer looked like crap, why the hell did i watch it :( next time i'll ask just ask footyGAF beforehand :)

ah okay, guess i just need to learn their ways....

jtb

Banned
Speed Racer is great but not really a surprise given the directors. Haven't seen a bad film by them.

Matrix Revolutions, man. so bad :(

Cloud Atlas is looking to be fucking fantastic though. No traditional studio funding for a 100m project, in particular, piques my interest... hopefully it ensures it's not dumbed down.

Fady K

To be fair, its mostly Scullibundo. Don't really get his love for James Cameron - dude's made 2 good films at least (that I've seen).

Me neither. Especially the love for Avatar. I know it's the most successful film of all time, but I found it be such an average, and SUCH a cliched film. That was once I got over the visuals though.

Worst part of GAF imo.

Fucking clueless with all the fervour of some sort of corporate Hitler youth.

Film-cinema gaf is brutal.

More responses....

Hans Zimmer is fucking GOD.

Dat Gotham's Reckoning.

<3 Best composer of our generation IMO.

The way City won the title is just magical :p 2 goals in 3 mins

Prem league years is awesome

There's no way this season will be as thrilling! It will be the same old in the Premier League and La Liga. ManU to get it (possibly ManCity) and Real Madrid. I've seen the script and it's cliched. Last season, however, was anything but!

The day messi retires I'm gonna cry like a little girl

It will be a horrible day, seriously. Would rather enjoy focusing on the upcoming season only and not think of such a day :[

Planted a tree for my dog, and put his ashes in with the soil. Will be nice having a little reminder of him in the garden.

May it rest in peace bro!

sneaky77

speed racer is shit.. great visuals but is not a very good movie imo. I dont think I have ever dealt with film gaf since I like going into movies as spoiler free as possible.

Also Miami Vice, not that great but I enjoyed it.

Fry

Film/TV GAF is indeed the shit. Combined with footy-gaf, you have all the three communities I spend all my time in here talking with.

Fady K

^^ Agreed with MarshMellow96 - pointless anger in that thread.

*IF* he signs, in reports it's varied from £26-32 million. With the Hazard deal, the agent fee's seemed to tick SAF off. Think Hazard will be a great signing for Chelsea, really impressive in pre-season so far :)

Moura looks great too man! Will make for a very exciting league! Arsenal, Newcastle, and City among others should buy more interesting players to make for an exciting season! And those agents are darn lucky, making money faster than counting it! Especially Ibra's agent :[

And yes bro, Hazard looks promising <3 I loved Kagawa as well <3

Kyoufu

Matrix Revolutions, man. so bad :(

Cloud Atlas is looking to be fucking fantastic though. No traditional studio funding for a 100m project, in particular, piques my interest... hopefully it ensures it's not dumbed down.

I agree Revolutions was meh (the last fight was good though) but whatever, first and second were just off the charts awesome. :D

Ahoy hoy fellas. Figured I'd join up on this thread again since the EPL season is starting in a month. I can't wait. Also, lots of EPL teams playing exhibitions in the US but unfortunately none near me. Oh well.

fuenf

Marin was awesome as a youth player at Gladbach, he never really clicked with Bremen but he got all the talent in the world. The change of scenery might have been just what he needed, he can be a bit of diva tough and redcafe / rawk etc. will label him a diver / cheater / jt in no time.

Salvadora

I was afraid the negative reviews would not help it reach such an opening. I wonder if it'll have legs though.

I reckon it will, If only because its the end of the trilogy. The reviews have been pretty positive but I agree with the negative ones, to some degree.

Chelsea's best player against Paris Saint Germain.
Its only pre-season but Chelsea's signings have impressed me. I hope I see positive things from Giroud & Podolski.

jtb

Banned
I was afraid the negative reviews would not help it reach such an opening. I wonder if it'll have legs though.

3rd movies usually have terrible legs, but I think this one will fare better because of increased demand from the shooting (people who stayed home will still want to see it) over time, and it's not an appalling bad movie (looking at you Spiderman 3, Pirates 3, X-Men 3, etc.) even if the reviews aren't as universally glowing as TDK or even BB. I'd expect it to top out around 400-450m US, 1.2-1.3b WW. Pretty great numbers, but probably below expectations.

FootballFan

Haha so in Fifa 13 if you have Kinect and you shout out the word 'cunt' a few times (I can say it now right?) than you will get a yellow card for swearing. Love it.

Gotta say that is pretty cool. :lol

Speed Racer is a visual orgasm on Blu-Ray. I creamed my pants like 500000 times during it

It looks so damn good. Probably the best blu-ray movie I have seen.(visually)

Santi Cazorla is the shit.

He is awesome! Arsenal should definitely try get him if they can. He can play heaps of positions in mid and is damn good so why not.

Fintan

When can we expect all the Olympic footballers to join up with their teams? Are they going to miss pretty much all of the pre-season?

Salvadora

It will be so strange not to see Pat Rice in the sidelines next season, Although hearing this from Szczesny makes me happy.

Szczesny feels the work done with Bould on the training pitch, particularly with defending, will have great benefits for Arsenal this season.

The Pole told the club’s official website: "We have a new assistant manager in Steve Bould and he has been doing a lot of defensive work on the training pitch, which has been very good so far I believe, so hopefully we will concede less as well, which is my personal hope anyway."

Jensen

Hazard's agent fee was £6m and a four year contract at the kind of wages that would be reasonable for him would cost the club upwards of £25m. If the rumours of Lucas wanting £30k p/w a four year contract would cost £6million. The a large fee is offset by the cheaper contract.

fuenf

I still have to wait until Wednesday before i can finally see TDKR. All this hype / negativy is getting me excited and anxious at the same time. I guess i'll love it because i dont care about the comics / backstories and just want to see a good movie, i even liked X3 (it's pretty good if you dont know anything about the comics).

sneaky77

from an ign article that has a quote from the EA guy, swearing at the game with kinect will not get your players yellow cards, but you will earn a hothead rep and the commentary will reflect this on manager mode apparently.

Cahill to New York Red Bulls means that Pienaar can join from us. It never really worked out and he was great on loan there towards the end of last season. Good move for him.

Ahoy hoy fellas. Figured I'd join up on this thread again since the EPL season is starting in a month. I can't wait. Also, lots of EPL teams playing exhibitions in the US but unfortunately none near me. Oh well.
Was thinking of pming you asking where you went all of the sudden. Have you picked a BPL team yet to support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom