• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Probably more than £75m when you factor in all the agent fees. I'mn ot sure who's choosing them but they've bought fantastic players. Josh McEachran can say goodbye to his future though.
Abramovich obviously isn't done with Chelsea as some people thought. They seem to be real signings of intent. Its sad about McEachran, I've heard he's quite talented but I can't see him getting many opportunities to show it.

That statement was just lip service and something every older brother says. At Thorgan's age, Eden was already a budding superstar. Not to say he won't become very good, but I wouldn't take Eden's statement of Thorgan being better than him at face value.

Thorgan was a 4* wonderkid in FM 2011, FWIW.

Yeah I figured that. Wonder if they'll try for the other brother as well, Although he's a bit young.

Clegg

The North Korean womens football team have refused to take the field for a match against Colombia due to a flag dispute.

Meier

Interesting, apparently Llorente turned down a new deal and he's in the last year of his contract now.

According to reports Athletic Club striker Fernando Llorente has rejected a new deal from the club.

The move is sure to spark interest across Europe, with Manchester United, Arsenal and Manchester City all believed to be interested.

Llorente’s representatives are understood to be demanding €5.5 million-a-year to re-sign, with Bilbao's latest offer being €1 million-a-year less.

Llorente has less than 12 months to run on his current deal.
http://www.click-manchester.com/spo...rget-llorente-turns-down-athletic-offer.html?

Yes fucking please..

kharma45

And if they they continue to spend, we'll be left behind.

We need to be successful to raise money but we need money to be successful.

They look dangerous in attack yes but the rest of the team? Nothing all that special.

We had bad luck with injuries last year (yes, doicare... you are partially right if you're still out there) and we had an unsteady De Gea at the start, if we get any luck this year we'll be perfectly capable of challenging for the title, Kagawa will be a game changer for us.

WJD

Just watching our game from earlier and Kagawa once again looking immense - I'm so excited about him.

I also thought Anderson looked decent, but it's pretty hard not to against that quality of opposition.

I'll say this again: Dudelange from Luxemburg beat Salzburg in the CL qualifiers. (Sorry if old.)

Fuck yeah. Good thing that now that we suck, Austrian football sucks even harder. So our biggest competition for the 13 place on the rank list (which gives direct CL qual) no doubt biggest team won't even get Europa League football.

They look dangerous in attack yes but the rest of the team? Nothing all that special.

Screenshot_13.png

Matias Fernandez seems to be on his way to Fiorentina. If this is true, I have a feeling he won´t do well there. Still, it´s a terrible lose for us.

Really now? A defense that managed to defend their way to CL trophy, the same defensive midfield options and a much better attack (although a new forward would do good). Maybe a new cover for right back too, but can't put a finger on the defensive part of the team.

kharma45

Really now? A defense that managed to defend their way to CL trophy, the same defensive midfield options and a much better attack (although a new forward would do good). Maybe a new cover for right back too, but can't put a finger on the defensive part of the team.

I didn't say their defence was bad just nothing special. Bar Ashley Cole there's no one in the Chelsea defence I'd really want to swap from United's defence.

Winning the CL doesn't exactly hide an average side on the whole, the league table is muich more telling. Hell, Liverpool won it in 2005 so as I said, I'd rather look at the league table over 38 games than a cup run.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Any defence can sit in their 18 yard box and block everything for 90 minutes. When Chelsea have to push up and try and play actual football, then we'll see how good the defense is. In the PL, where Chelsea weren't massively inferior to their opposition and weren't afraid to leave their half, they conceded some horrendous goals. Even u Der RDM they were unconvincing in he league.

They have a dodgy oligarch in charge. Still didn't stop them finishing 6th under a manager not good enough for West Brom.

They've signed good players but we will see how quickly the adapt to the PL. I can think of plenty of wunderkinds from Ligue 1 and the Brazilian league who have flopped.

I think we need to remember that they beat two of the best teams in the world before winning the Champions league with a weakened team that people wrote of a long time ago. Robbie did a great job.

All they need is a target man and a right back and they'll be immense. Cole is still for me, the best full-back in the world, Cahill and Ivanovic started playing rather well together towards the end of the season.

I think the defence will be under less pressure than last season too. The midfielders they have on their books now can keep the ball well and keep it in their opponents half.

People need to remember that Robbie has only lost 3 games as Chelsea manager, and all of that with a team that looked demoralised before he took over.

West Ham (my beloveds) are fucked beyond belief.

Zabojnik

Would you Juve fans rather have Jojo or RvP?

It's like being asked who your favourite child is. Logic would dictate RVP, because he's exactly what this team needs. A prolific striker of international fame, a great finisher (and more than just that). On the other hand you have Jovetic. At 22 he's much younger and incredibly talented, but he's more of a supporting striker. A Del Piero, if you will. It just so happens that in that role we're pretty much covered with Vucinic and now Giovinco. Vucinic and Jovetic have a nice partnership going in the Macedonian national team, so it's not like they can't play together. I think everybody saw what Jojo is capable of in that Fiorentina - Liverpool and Fiorentina - Bayern from a few years back, before his knee injury. The Viola would have made it to the CL quarters if it wasn't for Bayern's bribes luck.

So, yeah, I don't know. Why can't we have both? :(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Based on the rumors flying around ATM in Italian news circles Conte is going to be referred to trial tomorrow for his allegedly not reporting a fixed match.

The prosecution have no proof and everything is based on the testimony of a single player but not corroborated by any of his former teammates.

Knowing Italy Conte will probably get the death penalty.

I really thought Conte's one billion witnesses were enough, but not in Italy.

It's a tough choice for Conte. Either save your career by confessing to something you didn't do, and come back after a short ban or fight for your name/reputation and lose your coaching career?

We know how the second one is going to end, he'll be caught in an endless loop.

So, yeah, I don't know. Why can't we have both? :(

WE ARE GETTING BOTH ZABO I JUST KNOW IT!

Neither. It's Pazzini

Or isn't it just for the Olympics? Not even sure if Cavani is playing there.

That's what his agent is saying, but I'm sure she's fed up. That's not the first time they rob them at gunpoint/their house.

Salvadora

Chelsea reopen talks with Wigan to buy Victor Moses

Moses, who can play as an attacking midfielder or striker, has just one year left on his contract at Wigan and is free to leave if the club’s £10 million valuation is met.
Chelsea will not match that but will come close with a series of add-ons to the deal which Wigan could accept.
Wigan have already rejected the possibility of taking striker Romelu Lukaku on loan but it seems he might join Fulham – especially if Moses is signed – while his fellow Belgian, Kevin De Bruyne, is expected to go to Werder Bremen for the forthcoming campaign also on loan.
If Moses is signed it could end Chelsea’s interest in Bayer Leverusen’s Andre Schurrle and the Premier League club’s attention will switch to signing a right-back. Indeed a fee of around £8m is understood to have been agreed with Marseille for Cesar Azpilicueta, the 22-year-old captain of Spain’s Olympic team, but he has not spoken to Chelsea yet.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...pen-talks-with-Wigan-to-buy-Victor-Moses.html

Wilbur

Banned
Moses to Chelsea, lol. I think he's a talent, and he'd thrive at Fulham, Sunderland, Villa; somewhere between Chelsea and Wigan

Any defence can sit in their 18 yard box and block everything for 90 minutes.

That's a big load of bullshit right there but you probably know that.

When Chelsea have to push up and try and play actual football, then we'll see how good the defense is. In the PL, where Chelsea weren't massively inferior to their opposition and weren't afraid to leave their half, they conceded some horrendous goals. Even u Der RDM they were unconvincing in he league.

Yup there has been some problems whenever Chelsea has had to push up themselves. I can see Luiz getting to become a starter can maybe not solve that Terry is slow as shit, but at least be a huge help to it. With Di Matteo the league was clearly not prioritized much after a few games though, Chelsea were too far behind to get any CL spot and decided to go all in and hope for CL (and FA cup).

I didn't say their defence was bad just nothing special. Bar Ashley Cole there's no one in the Chelsea defence I'd really want to swap from United's defence.

Winning the CL doesn't exactly hide an average side on the whole, the league table is muich more telling. Hell, Liverpool won it in 2005 so as I said, I'd rather look at the league table over 38 games than a cup run.

That I agree with. Would argue that the biggest problems last season was first a clueless manager and his "high line no matter what" mentality that made the defense look terrible but there was also a pretty damn tame attack, there was really no competent wingers or really good ball players except for Mata, something that has already been mostly fixed.

kharma45

There's no way we keep him another year. It puts Juve in a better position if they know we have no intention of selling to United.

Yeah it's great for Juve and bad for Arsenal, they can screw the price down then if they're the only club in for him in the end.

Not a bad pre-season game.
- Bender seems like he is close to 100% again
- Bittencourt is looking pretty good too, but I'm always afraid for him since he looks so fragile, like he's about to catch an injury anytime now :(
- Amini doesn't look like that at all, dude looks pretty damn robust for his age and he shows heart, hope he'll get some time in the first team..somehow
- Schieber looks tired all the time, I feel like he never really trained as hard before, lol
- Reus be Rolls Reusing, so no worries there..

- Löwe acted kind of like an ass. He sucked for the most part and still showed some attitude/was pissed at everything. I'm starting to dislike him :/

Salvadora

Yeah it's great for Juve and bad for Arsenal, they can screw the price down then if they're the only club in for him in the end.
I thought more clubs would be in for him to be honest. Surprised me that United/City/Juve are the only clubs with interest/an offer. Thought Barce/Real might be interested.
The more I read about Uniteds aborted IPO, the angrier I get at the Glazers.

They're scum.

Wait... The IPO isn't happening anymore?

K1LLER7

I'd like RVP at City. But if he moves and not to us, anywhere BUT United for the love of pete.
Juve were said to have offered the least, united offered more.

After the game earlier, Fergie said there's nothing he can say about transfers until they are confirmed. He's looking to bring 1-2 more players in. The u-turn Moura's agents made in saying there will be talks makes me think United could still get him.

Clegg

I thought more clubs would be in for him to be honest. Surprised me that United/City/Juve are the only clubs with interest/an offer. Thought Barce/Real might be interested.

Wait... The IPO isn't happening anymore?

They tried to get it done in Hong Kong and Singapore but that was a failure. Now they're trying in New York but it's been put on hold due to the volatile market.

But it's really hard to see why investors would be interested in United. The Glazers are offering shares with no value. They won't offer any voting rights or dividends. It's purely a money grabbing exercise. If they really wanted to raise money then they could have issued some of the higher preference shares. That would have generated some interest.

kharma45

They tried to get it done in Hong Kong and Singapore but that was a failure. Now they're trying in New York but it's been put on hold due to the volatile market.

But it's really hard to see why investors would be interested in United. The Glazers are offering shares with no value. They won't offer any voting rights or dividends. It's purely a money grabbing exercise. If they really wanted to raise money then they could have issued some of the higher preference shares. That would have generated some interest.

Yeah it's the fact that the shares are essentially worthless that is the problem. No voting sway, no dividends, why would you buy?

Yeah it's bizarre that no one else is after him.

Clegg

Andersred has tweeted that the Glazers have completely binned the IPO. Says investors were put off by the unattractive share structure and the too high valuation.

In a perverse way I hope its true. Maybe it will force those pricks to actually come up with realistic ways to unburden the cluc.

D_prOdigy

Someone educate me on this transfer business: couldn't Arsenal just sell to City if they table the higher offer regardless of what RVP wants?

Like, could Spurs also just say "fuck Modric's wishes" if PSG really do offer £40m?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Forgive my ignorance, but why the fuck are you guys buying expensive players if you're this deep in the red? I'm sure United can finish in the top 4 (CL money) or win the title a few times with their current squad, for the next 5 years at least.

Salvadora

Sounds like this has been a complete shambles. No wonder United posters have been quite gloom regarding this.

dc89

Andersred has tweeted that the Glazers have completely binned the IPO. Says investors were put off by the unattractive share structure and the too high valuation.

In a perverse way I hope its true. Maybe it will force those pricks to actually come up with realistic ways to unburden the cluc.

Well, they are going to have to do something right?

United are due to release financial results soon right?

Wilbur

Banned
Forgive my ignorance, but why the fuck are you guys buying expensive players if you're this deep in the red? I'm sure United can finish in the top 4 (CL money) with their current squad for the next 5 years at least.

It's an odd situation. If we wiped the slate with all our debts, we'd make such a fucking profit every year we could afford anyone. It's the interest on our debt that is fucking us over, so to me it seems we make enough that we can afford to invest in the club but it'll fuck us over in the long run.

I don't really know much about it, Viva will come and explain it brilliantly.

dc89

It's an odd situation. If we wiped the slate with all our debts, we'd make such a fucking profit every year we could afford anyone. It's the interest on our debt that is fucking us over, so to me it seems we make enough that we can afford to invest in the club but it'll fuck us over in the long run.

I don't really know much about it, Viva will come and explain it brilliantly.

Yeah, Viva is pro at this and will tell the truth. I reckon he will call the IPO postponement/abandonment a disaster.

Clegg

Sounds like this has been a complete shambles. No wonder United posters have been quite gloom regarding this.

The Glazers want to hold on to United as its a cash cow for them. They don't want to sell their own shares as it reduces their control of the club. Unfortunately for them it looks like investors aren't interested in shares that pay out nothing. And why should they be interested? They would be absolutely right in telling the Glazers to fuck off.

And even if the Glazers were to sell off their own shares, we'd still have problems because they value the club too highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom