• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Paddy "worst man on tv" Crerand interviewing the Brazilian balloon.

ayt3le0ceaaezljhek19.jpg

dc89

I've been thinking maybe the 6 year deal Kompany has is in place to protect his value for the fire sale which is soon to follow when the Sheikh gets bored and packs up?

Wilbur

Banned
I've been thinking maybe the 6 year deal Kompany has is in place to protect his value for the fire sale which is soon to follow when the Sheikh gets bored and packs up?

Nah, probably because he's getting paid an obscene amount of money

Milan website just published the shirt numbers for next season: almost everyone will have the same as last year, except for Muntari (who will take Van Bommel's 4), Pato (from 7 to Inzaghi's 9), Nocerino (from 22 to Gattuso's 8) and Boateng, who will have the 10. That's something really close to perfection. Too bad I won't buy any official shirt anytime soon, though.

Also, according to one of our directors, they've asked to all of our players to let the number 22 free, so that Kakà could use it when he'll be back. Not sure how I feel about it.

Fry

It would be awesome to see Kaka at Milan again.

I used to have his shirt on all the time when I was a kid, while playing football.

Matias Suarez to CSKA. Damn, that's a good get for them. And they just got that ugly swedish guy Rasmus Elm a couple days ago too.

Why is everyone but us
and Newcastle
signing people? Seriously, Spartak, CSKA, Loko, Anzhi and Rubin have all gotten stronger. Meanwhile the only addition for us this season is Spalletti's mustache.

Wilbur

Banned
Matias Suarez to CSKA. Damn, that's a good get for them. And they just got that ugly swedish guy Rasmus Elm a couple days ago too.

Why is everyone but us
and Newcastle
signing people? Seriously, Spartak, CSKA, Loko, Anzhi and Rubin have all gotten stronger. Meanwhile the only addition for us this season is Spalletti's mustache.

I laughed at 3 separate things in this post

Milan website just published the shirt numbers for next season: almost everyone will have the same as last year, except for Muntari (who will take Van Bommel's 4), Pato (from 7 to Inzaghi's 9), Nocerino (from 22 to Gattuso's 8) and Boateng, who will have the 10. That's something really close to perfection. Too bad I won't buy any official shirt anytime soon, though.

Also, according to one of our directors, they've asked to all of our players to let the number 22 free, so that Kakà could use it when he'll be back. Not sure how I feel about it.

I don't think Kaka has any place in your squad. Like, at all, tactically. He'll be good for shirt sales though.

Out of interest, why aren't you buying a shirt? Cost or conscientious objector?

To be clear, none of this has to do with Juventus. It's Conte at Sienna, Bonucci at Bari, and Pepe at Udinese.

Conte has won some small victories and the scale of the allegations have shrunk and shrunk and shrunk to the point that what he's being accused of now is knowing that people were trying to fix matches and, while not fixing matches in any games he played, not reporting it. It could come with, at worst, a three month ban but it seems very unlikely from everyone I've talked to.

But, the only person in real danger seems to be Bonucci. He was actively involved in some of the matches that were supposedly fixed and it seems like he's actually going to stand trial. Could be difficult, but who knows?

Can't believe I'd rather talk about transfer rumours, but merda Tuttosport is claiming that Milan have agreed to purchase Matri at around 12m Euro, but that they've also agreed to let us hold onto him until after our Napoli match. Money will be spent on Jojo. Still not convinced we're going to get rid of Matri rather than Quagliarella, but we'll see.

PaulLFC

Aquilani wants to stay:

Liverpool midfielder Alberto Aquilani says he is puzzled by his past treatment at Anfield but is hopeful of proving himself to Brendan Rodgers.

Aquilani, 28, is back with the Reds after two seasons in Italy on loan.

"How can you pay £20m for a player and this player is never taken into consideration?" he told BBC Sport.

"I never asked to leave but I was always pushed by the club. I am here and I would like to play for Liverpool but it doesn't depend only on me."

Aquilani played the first half of Liverpool's friendly defeat by his former club Roma in Boston on Wednesday, and new manager Rodgers said afterwards that he is still considering whether he has a future at the club.
But the Italian international playmaker, who has two years left on his contract and is keen to commit his future to the club, says his initial meetings with Rodgers have been encouraging.

Brendan Rodgers on Aquilani's future at Anfield
"Will he stay at Liverpool? That remains to be seen. I need to have a close look at Alberto. It's been difficult for him during his time in England, and this is probably the first period where he's felt happy, according to him, and he's working. I need to assess, and that's what I'm doing at the moment."

"I had a very good talk with Brendan where we were able to share our thoughts and it was a very positive chat," Aquilani explained. "I like his footballing philosophy and I like the mentality he has because it matches my own skills."

Aquilani was signed by Rafa Benitez but has not played a competitive game for the club since Benitez's departure in the summer of 2010.

Under Roy Hodgson and Kenny Dalglish, he was sent on season-long loans to Juventus and AC Milan, and says it has been frustrating not to be able to prove to Liverpool fans he can make an impact in England.
"The situation changed after Benitez left," Aquliani added. "In past years, I felt forced out. I never asked to go on loan but they made it clear it was better for me to go.

"I think Liverpool people have to know that I have never said I wanted to leave the city because my family and I were not happy here. This is not true.

"I cannot say I have unfinished business in English football because I really never played but, the little I did, I believe I was able to show to Liverpool fans that I have quality and that I could have helped the team."

elseanio

Help us out. What's he said ?

Incidentally, about the only false note in that Liverpool doco trailer was that prat Ayre giving it the "Brendan was always our first choice".

He said Dalglish got sacked because of our league form, and winning the FA Cup wouldn't have mattered.

Nothing much to argue about really

I don't think Kaka has any place in your squad. Like, at all, tactically. He'll be good for shirt sales though.
Shirt sales and tickets.

Out of interest, why aren't you buying a shirt? Cost or conscientious objector?
Cost is probably the biggest factor, which is connected to the fact that I don't think that a €80 (€90 with number+name, €100 with delivery) is a fair pricetag for a shirt coming from a club that sold his two best players in a day and doesn't look like it's going after any important player to replace them.

Yen

Help us out. What's he said ?

Incidentally, about the only false note in that Liverpool doco trailer was that prat Ayre giving it the "Brendan was always our first choice".

Saying B-Rod won't be sacked if he doesn't finish fourth, but sacking Kenny because of league position. It was funny last year in preseason, when he said "Wow, Aquilani is so good. Get him the ball, he'll pass it to N'gog and it'll be a goal. Two great players." Sold within a week.

Charles

To be clear, none of this has to do with Juventus. It's Conte at Sienna, Bonucci at Bari, and Pepe at Udinese.

Conte has won some small victories and the scale of the allegations have shrunk and shrunk and shrunk to the point that what he's being accused of now is knowing that people were trying to fix matches and, while not fixing matches in any games he played, not reporting it. It could come with, at worst, a three month ban but it seems very unlikely from everyone I've talked to.

But, the only person in real danger seems to be Bonucci. He was actively involved in some of the matches that were supposedly fixed and it seems like he's actually going to stand trial. Could be difficult, but who knows?

Can't believe I'd rather talk about transfer rumours, but merda Tuttosport is claiming that Milan have agreed to purchase Matri at around 12m Euro, but that they've also agreed to let us hold onto him until after our Napoli match. Money will be spent on Jojo. Still not convinced we're going to get rid of Matri rather than Quagliarella, but we'll see.

I don't want to play the conspiracy card, but it's curious how none of the players from other teams got summoned to trial. The entire Bari defence of the time was summoned except Rannocchia. And who does Rannocchia play for?

There's an investigation in progress over some napoli games, but none of them will get summoned until after the super cup game. Against Juventus.

The game between Siena and Albinoleffe is suspected to be fixed; the entire siena coaching staff gets summoned (they all work for Juve now), meanwhile the Albinoleffe staff don't even get questioned.

It's a series of interesting coincidences.

Charles

Shirt sales and tickets.

Cost is probably the biggest factor, which is connected to the fact that I don't think that a €80 (€90 with number+name, €100 with delivery) is a fair pricetag for a shirt coming from a club that sold his two best players in a day and doesn't look like it's going after any important player to replace them.

Yeah, the total cost of buying a new shirt from the Juve store (with a name and a third star patch) runs up to over €100 with shipping.

I mean, it's just a shirt for pete's sake.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Saying B-Rod won't be sacked if he doesn't finish fourth, but sacking Kenny because of league position.

Dalglish was sacked because they were a million miles away from 4th. As long as Rodgers can get them to within 8-10 points, he will probably be safe.

elseanio

Saying B-Rod won't be sacked if he doesn't finish fourth, but sacking Kenny because of league position. It was funny last year in preseason, when he said "Wow, Aquilani is so good. Get him the ball, he'll pass it to N'gog and it'll be a goal. Two great players." Sold within a week.

If Rodgers performs as shit in the league as Dalglish, then he will be gone. It's not like we narrowly missed out on 4th last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom