• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
But he's one of you! You spawned him; ergo he is your responsibility.

And is there some site or something I could read to get up to speed on teams and whatnot? I almost never watch football handegg (pandering, the best) or basketball, but just from reading Wikipedia and watching shows on TV once in awhile I know many big players and have some idea about what was happening.

Whereas here I read these names and I keep thinking, "They're making all these people up as an elaborate joke, aren't they?"

The answer is Wikipedia, isn't it?

A tiny search of football for beginners brought me to this - http://naeemebrahimjee.hubpages.com/hub/Understanding-Football-A-beginners-guide

Still looks a bit complicated but don't be afraid to ask questions, we're a nice group of people when we're not attacking people who used to work in a toy shop so are being perceived as paedophiles.

Lakitu

st5fu
I wouldn't be surprised if it is true about Sahin wanting Arsenal instead. They offer CL football, we don't. That's the way it's going to be until we actually get CL football.

Edit: RAWK has been spontaneously combusting lately. Internal server errors up the wazoo.

Fry

:lol :lol :lol

Piers Morgan ‏@piersmorgan

BREAKING: Van Persie just failed his United medical. Tests revealed no sign of heart or brain cells.

Can you unfollow me please, @Persie_Official - we're done.

Wilbur

Banned
Stay away from my future kids.

tumblr_lfk3i6IbpO1qcvlhg.gif

dc89

Never thought i'd say this, but the transfer market misses Harry Redknapp.

I was the year below, but still played a few games with, former Everton, Motherwell, Coventry and current Middlesbrough striker Lukas Jutkiewicz.

/Claim to fame.

My only claim to fame really is our football coach at school was Matthew Rush who used to play for West Ham and others.

He was pretty funny. Me and tc used to collect Panini stickers and we had him in one of the ancient sticker books, well before he came to teach at our school.

ShogunX

He got me worried. So fuck him.

Well either way we still have a good midfield for the upcoming season. If we get Sahin then great I'm sure he will display his quality on the pitch but if he decides on Arsenal instead then good luck to him and we move on to other targets.

Mumei

A tiny search of football for beginners brought me to this - http://naeemebrahimjee.hubpages.com/hub/Understanding-Football-A-beginners-guide

Still looks a bit complicated but don't be afraid to ask questions, we're a nice group of people when we're not attacking people who used to work in a toy shop so are being perceived as paedophiles.

You know, I have absolutely no idea what that is referencing. But thanks!

You do that and I'll... oh, just you wait...

Commit a certain act coined by Stephen Fry?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A few squad number changes at Spurs:

Bale 3 ------>11
Van Der Vaart 11------>10
Rose 25------->3

Both 9 and 25 (Ade's preferred number) are now available.

And is there some site or something I could read to get up to speed on teams and whatnot? I almost never watch football handegg (pandering, the best) or basketball, but just from reading Wikipedia and watching shows on TV once in awhile I know many big players and have some idea about what was happening.

Whereas here I read these names and I keep thinking, "They're making all these people up as an elaborate joke, aren't they?"

There's thousands of pro teams, so reading up on just teams in general is pretty hard. But just read up on Fc København, it's all you need, the rest is quite shit after that to be honest. Maybe throw in some Palermo and Chelsea.

Wilburys tag. Him being fired from a toy store... you know...

Wilbur

Banned

My tag is not the real story.

But yeah, I think just catch a few games this weekend. The PL is on, and I'm sure the other big European leagues are starting either this week or very soon. Fox seem to show a lot of matches but I'm not sure how it is for the Spanish, Italian and German leagues so I'm sure Americans here can give you more help on that.

Maybe go to a few matches if there's an MLS team near you, watch the Champions League for sure... eventually it'll win you over. It always does.

Mumei

There's thousands of pro teams, so reading up on just teams in general is pretty hard. But just read up on Fc København, it's all you need, the rest is quite shit after that to be honest. Maybe throw in some Palermo and Chelsea.

I detect a certain amount of bias in this post.

And perhaps not all the teams, but at least the major teams in that Premier League thingamajig for now.

You'll have to forgive me, I am not the biggest fan of Stephen Fry (outside of Blackadder) so the punishment to which you refer I am unfamiliar with.

Oh, I was referring to the "countryside" pun; it being the act of murdering Piers Morgan. I had assumed you had heard of it.

ShogunX

A few squad number changes at Spurs:

Bale 3 ------>11
Van Der Vaart 11------>10
Rose 25------->3

Both 9 and 25 (Ade's preferred number) are now available.

Who is taking 14?

Joe Cole has said his Liverpool career will be rejuvenated under Brendan Rodgers. Fuck sake go to West Ham or something Cole.

I detect a certain amount of bias in this post.

And perhaps not all the teams, but at least the major teams in that Premier League thingamajig for now.

Oh, I was referring to the "countryside" pun; it being the act of murdering Piers Morgan. I had assumed you had heard of it.
Chelsea are a cool team. I hear people like them or something. I think it's cause even though they should be good and win some amazing trophies like the Champions League and F.A. Cup, they still somehow look bad.

So it must be like having all the benefits of a great team but simultaneously having all the woes of a rubbish one.

I think the best way to get into footy is to pick a team and watch their games. Doesn't matter which team, really, because if you follow that team then you'll get to watch most teams by the end of the year.

I'll give an oversimplification of Serie A. I'll let everyone else provide their summaries of other leagues. I think Serie A is a fantastic league to follow, fyi, and online streams means that most games that aren't on TV are there to be watched.

Serie A: Obviously my favourite league; v. high standard of play, slightly slower tempo game (which also means its pretty easy to follow a team's build up play, for instance), and a very tactical league. Games are often won and lost on a coach's decision or failure to make a decision on tactics, formations, substitutions and so on. Often gets criticized for being a defensive league but this isn't really the case anymore with teams like Juventus, Roma, Udinese, and Napoli playing (at times) really attractive football. You should follow one of those teams. I recommend Juventus, obviously. AC Milan and Inter Milan are the other big teams in the league. Also, if you want to anger Manchester United fans, just mention Paul Pogba and watch the salt.jpg come up.

dc89

Ahh the life I lead.

Sat here reading the MUFC Facebook Twitter thing laughing my head off whilst listening to Drake.

:/

I would actually be genuinely curious who City would choose to be a bargain buy at £3m.

Put it towards Sinclair I guess.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Blurgh, that Anderson gif just reminds me how bad our defending was that day. Kaboul was god-awful. Luckily he engaged beast mode 2 weeks later (after we got twatted 5-1 and our own place).

Wow, Barton going to Marseille on a 1 year loan.

tumblr_le3y3rL23V1qd2ktw.gif

Yen

Mumei, all you need to know about Liverpool is they used to be god tier, then shit for 20 years, then good again in the noughties, then 4 years of crap. And here we are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom