• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Injuries I think RVP gets an unfair rap for, he has played a lot of games over the last few seasons for the most part.

The age is the only thing I worry about, might only get 3-4 seasons out of him.

I agree though if we got him he'd no doubt be a success with Valencia and Kagawa giving him good service.
I think it would help that United would never be as dependant on him as we were. That should never have happened & frankly makes me embarrassed.

Carbonox

We're aiming for top 4

There will be signings. Not many clubs have done business yet due to TV deal outrage or something. I have no idea what he meant by that.

Maybe clubs are getting less money or something. I dunno.

Anyway, top 4? :lol :lol Fuck off. I don't blame Pardew for the lack of progress as he's not in charge of our transfers but those who are in charge need to be realistic. And also to stop being tight arses.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Speaking of transfer dreams, mine is:

- Matri to Milan, Llorente to Juve
- Quagliarella (+ Pazienza) to Fiorentina, Jovetic to Juve
- we buy Pazzini for 7-8M€ from Inter

Llorente, Jovetic, Vucinic, Giovinco, Pazzini. Fucking done. I'd even buy Pazzini's jersey, if Marotta were to pull something like this.

A pretty impressive yet expensive lineup! My dream is Jojo. <3

I hear Marotta is working on shipping both Ziegler and Pazienza for a decent fee? Fingers crossed.

K1LLER7

Hmm.. Is it possible to have a formation of RVP spearheading an attack with Rooney and Kagawa as CAM?
Rooney can play left wing like he did a couple of times in the CL during Ronaldo's time.

Would like a 4-2-3-1 with Rooney on the Left, RVP up front, Nani/Valencia right. Kagawa in the middle, all 4 could roam around the pitch.

Salvadora

Clegg's insistence that the RVP deal won't happen is hilarious. It reminds me of the pessimism United fans post when facing the likes of Blackburn.
:lol

Joe

i live on Long Island, NY. my backyard is quite literally a private, nicely kept soccer field for a local amateur club team.

my landlord is the president of this field and club.

the ecuador national team is here and practicing in my backyard. Valencia is on the field.

tomorrow the Chilean national team will be practicing here. they are playing a friendly in Queens, NY.

the kicker? im out of state right now for work :((((((

kharma45

Rooney can play left wing like he did a couple of times in the CL during Ronaldo's time.

Would like a 4-2-3-1 with Rooney on the Left, RVP middle, Nani/Valencia right. Kagawa in the middle, all 4 could roam around the pitch.

Yeah that's something I'd thought of too, although I can't see Valencia roaming too much.

Rooney and Kagawa could interchange as and when they feel.

4-4-2 diamond is an option too I guess but again leaves us light I feel for midfield covering the defence.

Clegg's insistence that the RVP deal won't happen is hilarious. It reminds me of the pessimism United fans post when facing the likes of Blackburn.

When it comes to transfers Clegg is a right Moaning Myrtle :p

Soi-Fong

lol Trying to lower the pain when we find out he stays with you guys.

Now that I think about it, I'll be fine with him staying or him coming to us.

I'm still concerned about Kagawa's exact position for this term, but RVP would be a threat to his primary position. But then again, the muppet in me is shouting RVP, Rooney and Kagawa and that attack us just heavenly.

Clegg

Also slightly worried about RVPs form if he signs for us.

He was awful at Euro 2012.

And the last big name striker we signed wasn't a roaring success for us either.

Salazar

Also slightly worried about RVPs form if he signs for us.

He was awful at Euro 2012.

And the last big name striker we signed wasn't a roaring success for us either.

Playing in a team filled with dysfunctional, embittered wankers.

He'll be fine.

Clegg

Yeah that's something I'd thought of too, although I can't see Valencia roaming too much.

Rooney and Kagawa could interchange as and when they feel.

4-4-2 diamond is an option too I guess but again leaves us light I feel for midfield covering the defence.

When it comes to transfers Clegg is a right Moaning Myrtle :p

On the contrary, I'm delighted with the signing of Kagawa and I think Powell has the potential to be a great player.

I just think theres too much baggage/history between Arsenal and United for a transfer deal to happen. I also have worries over the fitness of RVP.

Salvadora

Think he'll get 20+ goals if he signs.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he did. He has a young family so I'm not surprised he doesn't want to leave England. He gave us some great years.

I just think theres too much baggage/history between Arsenal and United for a transfer deal to happen. I also have worries over the fitness of RVP.
There's literally no alternative which is pretty shite for us.

Having Rooney and RVP up top together would limit Shinji's influence on games either through lack of appearances or by forcing him to play at CM where he wouldn't be allowed to go forward as much, which is obviously where his strength lies.

------Rooney--------
Nani--Shinji--TonyV
---new CM--Carrick--

>>>>>>>

----Rppmey---RVP--------
Nani-Ando/clev-Carrick-TonyV

>>>>>>>

last season

Either one is an improvement, but I think using the RVP money on a CM would make the team much better.

Clegg

So was Rooney, sell him Fagie.

Rooney was awful at the Euros and he hasn't looked any better during pre-season. Thats one of the reasons why I think SAF wants RVP so badly. If Rooney has a poor run of form we'll have RVP to fill the position of primary goalscorer.

The team will have to be reshaped too. Rooney is the main man at United. Arsenal was built around RVP. Things will change if he comes to United.

It may not sound like it but I'd be delighted if he signed for us, I just think there would have to be a lot of rethinking in how United play. Kagawa was bought to inject some creativity that United were lacking through the middle of the pitch. If RVP is signed then I think Kagawas influence would be stifled.

kharma45

On the contrary, I'm delighted with the signing of Kagawa and I think Powell has the potential to be a great player.

Wenger and Fergie have become rather... friendly over recent years, and as for RVP fitness he'll be fine imo, in the 8 years at Arsenal he's only fell below 30 games in a season twice, not all that bad.

Also, muppet formation if we wanted to ever rest Nani or Valencia for some reason and change it around!

jucskpgb04dm9.png

K1LLER7

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he did. He has a young family so I'm not surprised he doesn't want to leave England. He gave us some great years.

There's literally no alternative which is pretty shite for us.
Wenger has had a great time in the transfer market this season. If he gets 20m from the RVP deal, they should buy a defender. The attack is pretty good and Chamberlin could play a massive role.

Salvadora

Wenger has had a great time in the transfer market this season. If he gets 20m from the RVP deal, they should buy a defender. The attack is pretty good and Chamberlin could play a massive role.

I think one of the problems is as a Arsenal fan posted a while back, Arsene probably rates all of our defenders. I'm happy with the business we've done, Although a lot of it should've been done last summer. I'd love to read a book to find out the ins and outs of what is going on behind the scenes at Arsenal because I find it hard to blame Wenger, He's probably only acting with the options he's got in many cases.

Kyoufu

Maybe clubs are getting less money or something. I dunno.

Anyway, top 4? :lol :lol Fuck off. I don't blame Pardew for the lack of progress as he's not in charge of our transfers but those who are in charge need to be realistic. And also to stop being tight arses.

We can get top 4 if we get a quality CB and Debuchy. Otherwise.................

We can get top 4 if we get a quality CB and Debuchy. Otherwise.................

Naaa, not for a couple of years at least. Even then I can't see us breaking the top 4 unless something crazy happens. A consistent top 6 over the next few seasons would be a fantastic place to start though..

Wilbur

Banned
Tevez is a much better player than RvP. He was the main reason for Man City to end in CL spot in the 10/11 season.

I would probably take him over RvP considering his injury record, age and consistency. But I'd have to put up with him being a fucking turd

Clegg

Wenger and Fergie have become rather... friendly over recent years, and as for RVP fitness he'll be fine imo, in the 8 years at Arsenal he's only fell below 30 games in a season twice, not all that bad.

Also, muppet formation if we wanted to ever rest Nani or Valencia for some reason and change it around!

jucskpgb04dm9.png

This is the kind of formation I could see us using against City. We'd need 3 in midfield to try and counteract Citys midfield. When we played City at the Etihad we packed the midfield in an attempt to stifle them. That tactic actually worked to a certain degree but it left Rooney completely isolated up front. Our creativity comes from our wingers and when they're not in the game we find it very hard to break teams down.

Thats why I'm so happy with the signing of Kagawa. We can drop our wingers, if we feel its necessary, and play an extra man in midfield. Then we could have Kagawa playing behind 2 strikers.

pappe

The only way we can play kagawa in AM is by shifting Valencia to RB.

---------------RVP-----------
Roo----------shinji-----nani
-----scholesy ---carrick
Evra---Vida---rio---------Valencia

The attacking 4 will have freedom to roam around like in the days of Cr7, Roo, tevez and berba

With Young, well beck,chicha,cleverly Griggs,ando as backups. World class team right there folks.

kharma45

The only way we can play kagawa in AM is by shifting Valencia to RB.

---------------RVP-----------
Roo----------shinji-----nani
-----scholesy ---carrick
Evra---Vida---rio---------Valencia

The attacking 4 will have freedom to roam around like in the days of Cr7, Roo, tevez and berba

With Young, well beck,chicha,cleverly Griggs,ando as backups. World class team right there folks.

Bar Evra and Rio. Arguably Carrick too, very good but not world class.

Kyoufu

Naaa, not for a couple of years at least. Even then I can't see us breaking the top 4 unless something crazy happens. A consistent top 6 over the next few seasons would be a fantastic place to start though..

Jesus, I thought I was the one negative :lol

You're putting Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea on a pedestal. There is no reason why we can't compete for top 4 with a successful transfer window.

And what's wrong with aiming for top 4? The higher you aim the higher you finish.

Pardew said the fans want to see the club going for it and that's exactly what we'll do.

WE NEED SIGNINGS.

Salvadora

I think an argument could be made for Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea to crash and burn this season but I don't think that in any way makes it possible for Newcastle to make top 4.

elsk

Banned
Manchester United buying RvP would end up being the worst transfer in this window, idiotic because of:

a) Their financial situation.
b) Having 3 good strikers in Welbeck, Hernandez and Rooney. (And Berba is still there!)
c) Having Kagawa, who will make almost impossible to use more than one striker at the time. You have to play 4411. Or play 4-3-1-2 and drop the wingers (I don't see this happening).

Kyoufu

I think an argument could be made for Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea to crash and burn this season but I don't think that in any way makes it possible for Newcastle to make top 4.

Please. We were in with a possibility of finishing 3rd on the final day of the season.

Keep writing us off, and we'll keep proving you wrong.

Wilbur

Banned
Manchester United buying RvP would end up being the worst transfer in this window, idiotic because of:

b) Having 3 good strikers in Welbeck, Hernandez and Rooney. (And Berba is still there!)
c) Having Kagawa, who will make almost impossible to use more than one striker at the time. You have to play 4411. Or play 4-3-1-2 and drop the wingers (I don't see this happening).

Our financial situation isn't affected by it at all but I agree with you on the other two points

pappe

Like I said dropping Tony V to RB is the only way. I think in almost all the friendlies he played at RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom