• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

I don't understand the Sahin stuff. Surely Mou/Madrid would prefer him to go to Arsenal for obvious reasons.
What are these obvious reasons? There's more reasons he'd be more likely to join us imo:

- Rumoured to be willing to accept loan without an option to buy, which Arsenal weren't
- Rumoured to be willing to pay a higher percentage of his wages
- Mourinho has worked with Rodgers
- Xabi has allegedly been having words with Sahin telling him to come to us
- Not in the CL this season so no challenge to Madrid if Sahin and the team plays well

Probably more that I can't be arsed to think of right now.

Don't. Just don't.
tumblr_lywedhbdP21r47t7to2_250.gif

Salvadora

That's just utter bollocks. In what way can you honestly judge the coaching both Rodgers and Wenger can provide, as simply a fan? The one person who can, Mourinho, strongly insisted that Sahin move to Liverpool, for the simple and only reason that he'll return a better player for it. That's what Mourinho wants out of this deal, and he's made his judgement.
Obviously we know nothing about what's going on behind the scenes. A lot of the stories could simply be bullshit but I wouldn't doubt Wenger's coaching ability considering he has developed many star players. I think what PaulLFC said it correct, It could have just came down to the wages/buy-out clause or the personal feelings.

Arnie

Obviously we know nothing about what's going on behind the scenes. A lot of the stories could simply be bullshit but I wouldn't doubt Wenger's coaching ability considering he has developed many star players. I think what PaulLFC said it correct, It could have just came down to the wages/buy-out clause or the personal feelings.

Well, yes, it could have, but the hypothesis you suggested is utter conjecture, bordering on flat out bollocks, not the 'obvious' reasons you insisted. I think you know this though, and I'll lead a blind eye to such nonsense because you've had a long day.

Jabo

I'm pretty sure once Arsène blows all his cash on Falcao, Gooners are gonna forget about all this.

LOL

Salvadora

Well, yes, it could have, but the hypothesis you suggested is utter conjecture, bordering on flat out bollocks, not the 'obvious' reasons you insisted. I think you know this though, and I'll lead a blind eye to such nonsense because you've had a long day.

I doubt think Wenger's coaching ability is in any doubt nor the fact that Arsenal play CL football.

Arnie

I doubt think Wenger's coaching ability is in any doubt nor the fact that Arsenal play CL football.

The fact that Arsenal will compete in the Champions League next season is of no obvious worth to Mourinho or Madrid, in fact it could be construed as the opposite.

And the only coach who's being doubted in this discussion, initiated by yourself, is Brendan Rodgers', clearly. It seems you and Mourinho don't agree.

Really excited for the season now. I know we still have some problems in the side and they will certainly be highlighted at times this season but we have Kagawa and RVP who are two class players and a returning Vidic who is going to be a massive boost. A years more experience and development for some of the younger players too makes me hopeful we can really push City in the title-race again.

Can't wait for Monday night now!!

Salvadora

Guardian posted this article up a couple of hours ago
Liverpool are closing in on a loan deal for Nuri Sahin, having moved ahead of Arsenal in the pursuit of the Real Madrid midfielder.

The Turkey international, who is available on a season-long loan following a frustrating debut season in Spain, could become Brendan Rodgers' third signing as Liverpool manager despite fierce competition from Arsenal and the 23-year-old's desire for Champions League football.

Arsenal remain keen on the former Borussia Dortmund midfielder, particularly should they lose Alex Song to Barcelona, but the deal has swung in Liverpool's favour. Rodgers worked under José Mourinho at Chelsea and the Real coach remains a firm admirer of the Liverpool manager. The Spanish champions would prefer Sahin did not join a club that is also in the Champions League and Liverpool are prepared to pay more of the player's salary than Arsenal. They have also had the advantage of Xabi Alonso extolling the virtues of his former club to Sahin in recent weeks.

Rodgers, who remains hopeful of completing a similar loan deal for Barcelona's Cristian Tello, is keen to strengthen the Liverpool squad before Saturday's Premier League opener at West Bromwich Albion.

The Liverpool manager said on Wednesday: "There has been contact and communication with the clubs. The team of people behind myself are working very, very hard in relation to those targets. We hope that within the next number of weeks those will bear fruit. The work has been continual right the way through to try and get in players that fit the profile of Liverpool and the team. Like I say, I would hope there would be a couple more signings before the end of August."

Rodgers has so far bought Fabio Borini and Joe Allen for £10.5m and £15m respectively but has lost five senior players this summer. He added: "We obviously haven't brought in too many players but there are some players that have gone out for a number of reasons.

"There is still a lot of work to do within the group and there will probably be more changes between now and the end of August in terms of ins and outs. Come the end of August when everyone is here, we can be real focused and be together and start on the journey to hopefully having a real good campaign."
damn.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/15/liverpool-arsenal-real-madrid-nuri-sahin

K1LLER7

Not sure if already posted

Carrick on RVP signing

"If it goes through then it's great news. We welcome him, he had a terrific season last year. He'll just strengthen our squad even more.

"The manager has gone on record as saying that the team in '99, because of the four forwards they had, was one of the most exciting and one of his happiest times. So hopefully we can repeat something like that.

"It's a huge boost. He's a terrific world class player and it's great to bring in players of that ability and give everyone a boost."

Madridy

Man United buying RVP is the stupidest move of the summer.

That'll do well for Welback's and Chicharito's growth. Not to say it'll remove Kagawa from his natural AM position now that both Rooney and RVP must play upfront.

Should've spent that money buying a good CM instead.

Arnie

I honestly thought his CL preference would swing it for us. Thought the Xabi/Mou stuff was typical newspaper bs.
Fair enough, us Liverpool fans have known the contents of that article for over 24 hours, thought you would've too.

Xabi Alonso "Yeah, the clubs great, that's why i left"

"P.S buy a good lock for your door"

Enjoy the season.

Man United buying RVP is the stupidest move of the summer.

That'll do well for Welback's and Chicharito's growth. Not to say it'll remove Kagawa from his natural AM position now that both Rooney and RVP must play upfront.

Should've spent that money buying a good CM instead.

It really isn't.

Manchester City bought Jack Rodwell.

If RVP stays fit he'll guarantee ~20 goals.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Da hueva ver el juego a pelota parada de esta selección. Urge que Marco Fabián se integre al equipo por el simple hecho de que al menos él sabe cómo cobrarlos.

volgihn

The match between Mexico and the US has been boring. Hopefully it gets better in the second half.
Man i'm lucky, my account got approved just in time for the 2012-2013 season.

Mumei

You should, see if it's for you or not. Just stay away from Chelsea, they have this one player called John Terry. I don't think you'd like him.

Why ever not?
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

But okay. I'll watch something next time I get the chance and figure out what, when, where, and how. Probably on the weekend sometime.

Who cares about attractive football? We have very attractive players!
Edit: Hands off Chiellini.

This is also very important.

jtb

Banned
not sure why a Guardian article conclusively closes the door on a Sahin deal. there was an earlier one saying Arsenal were ahead in getting Sahin, claiming Mou let Sahin go wherever he wanted. It's not done yet and while I'm sure Liverpool has far better negotiators and manager, no point reading too much into where he might go atm.

I hate to paraphrase famed ITK The Other One, but... this is football. Things change. Maybe Arsenal will smarten up and pay all his wages now that there's a bit more cash-flow. Maybe not.

and this USA-Mexico game blows. Boring, no fights, pretty empty Azteca, having to watch Alexis Lalas. Can't stand Alexis Lalas. Why does every ESPN analysis of USNMT have to be praising the team to the high heavens when it's clear this is still very much a work in progress... I mean, Americans might be jingoistic as hell but that doesn't mean we don't understand (or appreciate) a good underdog every once in a while.

Clegg

Why ever not?
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

But okay. I'll watch something next time I get the chance and figure out what, when, where, and how. Probably on the weekend sometime.

This is also very important.
It would be interesting to have a mod post more frequently in this thread.

Go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom