• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
My United team for Everton:

----------------de Gea
-----Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra
------------Carrick Scholes
-------Valencia Kagawa Nani
-----------------Rooney

Would be my team as well. Cleverley's had an excruciatingly tough pre-season so I'd ease him in (safe with Rafael to be honest, I'd be tempted to start Valencia at RB for a few games) and RVP shouldn't really play so early. Let him get bedded in for a week or so.

K1LLER7

My United team for Everton:

----------------de Gea
-------Valencia Kagawa Nani
-----------------Rooney
Would like...

----------------de Gea
--------Nani Kagawa Rooney
-----------------RVP

Will get...

----------------de Gea
-------Valencia Rooney Nani
-----------------Welbeck

PaulLFC

x1.jpg

Would like...

----------------de Gea
-----------------RVP

Will get...

----------------de Gea
----Valencia Kagawa Scholes Nani
-----------Rooney Welbeck

Fixed for accuracy.

Would like...

----------------de Gea
-----------------RVP

Will get...

----------------de Gea
-------Valencia Rooney Nani
-----------------Welbeck
Pretty much this.

But I think Valencia will start at RB. He's shit there but I reckon it'll happen since Rafael has had no pre season with us.

ElyrionX

United fans:

Do you think we're done for the transfer window? Personally, I think we are. And whilst Kagawa and RVP(provided nothing goes wrong) are 2 excellent signings, we're still short of quality in midfield.

Kagawa and RVP are two signings that will improve our first team. Powell and Henriquez are two exciting prospects for the future. I'm happy with the business thats been done this summer. Still concerned about our midfield though.

I was thinking about this yesterday. If Fletcher is fit, we have

Scholes
Giggs
Fletcher
Carrick
Cleverley
Anderson
Kagawa?

That's actually not too bad. The key player this season is likely to be Cleverley and maybe Anderson. If those two perform in CM then we have nothing to worry about. Too bad we lost Pogba.

K1LLER7

Fixed for accuracy.
Hope we don't go back to a 4-4-2 formation this season. we don't have the midfield players to pull it off and teams would walk through the middle.

Pretty much this.

But I think Valencia will start at RB. He's shit there but I reckon it'll happen since Rafael has had no pre season with us.

Didn't fergie say a while back the olympics was like the players pre-season and they'd be ready for when the season started?

Agree with you on Valencia, he looked decent there in pre-season.

Clegg

I'm more concerned about Uniteds style of play. We bought Kagawa to inject pace and creativity through the centre. But the signing of RVP complicates things. Kagawa can play wide left but he isn't as effective as he would normally be if he were playing behind the striker. We also now have 3 players that prefer to drop slightly deeper and play from there, Rooney, RVP and Kagawa. I just don't know how all three could work together on the same pitch.

I'm sure Kagawa will play behind the striker in certain games but I think we may see him play a fair bit on the left for this coming season. I wouldn't mind that so much as long as we don't slip back into that slow, stodgy style we seem to have adopted over the last 2 seasons.

Its brilliant to have all these attacking options though.

Fry

The transfer window went crazy and I'm loving it. This is shaping up to be the best season I've ever witnessed.

Fëanor

Super annoying that we lost the friendly at home, but at least it wasn't a qualifier.

*remembers the game against Costa Rica*

Would like...

----------------de Gea
-----------------RVP

Agreed. I think Rafael has another friendly this week, however. Expect Valencia at RB and perhaps one or both of Anderson and Cleverley starting. And since we have no cover for Rio or Vidic, Carrick might even be on the bench.

Hard to predict the midfield. But I hope we go with those four attackers. Start the season with intent.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
So the Scotland fans booed our own player, Ian Black, when he came on last night to make his debut. Generally I'm opposed to this full stop, but Ian Black has in the past intentionally tried to injure / break the legs of several players, succeeding a couple of times. He's at least yellow carded in practically every match he plays in - just a thug in general and apparently not dissimilar off the park. He now plays for Rangers in Div 3, so there's the additional gripe that 3rd Division players are being picked over SPL players just because it's Rangers (who are currently sitting in the bottom half of the table).

Is there any justification?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Fëanor;41079536 said:
Super annoying that we lost the friendly at home, but at least it wasn't a qualifier.

*remembers the game against Costa Rica*
I don't know if I'm still riding the hype from the gold medal, but I am actually not that mad about this loss. Statistically speaking it had to happen soon, plus Chepo should have finally realised that some of the elements he has been calling up just don't work anymore (Reyna, Barrera, and Chicharito more than anyone else).

Chatón and Herrera need to be integrated into the team next month. Marco Fabián has to take the enganche position and Chepo needs to let Gio loose as the right winger --it has always been his preferred position anyway. And after the fuck up against Guyana and tonight, Moreno needs someone on the bench to wake him up. Mier and Reyes, imo, are ready to start fighting for a starting position.

Guardado is still class. Dude was the best (only?) thing tonight.

Lightning

Banned
Without a buy out option it's completely understandable why Arsenal would lose interest and Mourinho would prefer Rogers and Liverpool. Lets be honest, Wenger doesn't give a fuck about Mourinho's interests or Sahin's development and is solely interested in Arsenal's best interests. Without a buy option Sahin would hardly be played for us because Wenger would prefer to persevere with players that have contracts with the club. We saw this last season where Benayoun was playing well, had a great attitude but was still benched for large portions of the season while Wenger played Arshavin who was playing shit and woefully out of form but continued to play him in the hope he would gain form and confidence.

Sahin comes to Arsenal without a buy option he is almost guaranteed to get Benayoun treatment so I understand Mourinho completely here.

elsk

Banned
Getting Sahin on loan without a buy option is completely stupid. Is like doing Real Madrid's dirty work for free.

ShogunX

Getting Sahin on loan without a buy option is completely stupid. Is like doing Real Madrid's dirty work for free.

Not really. If he comes into the Liverpool team and puts on the kind of performances that have had Schweinsteiger puzzled in the past then there is no reason why he cant help Liverpool push for top four. If afterwards he goes back to Madrid then he leaves on a high note - Obviously things could go the other way and he might struggle but then we already have Lucas, Gerrard and Allen so not much is lost.

Saying all this and he will sign for one of the London clubs tomorrow.

elsk

Banned
Not really. If he comes into the Liverpool team and puts on the kind of performances that have had Schweinsteiger puzzled in the past then there is no reason why he cant help Liverpool push for top four. If afterwards he goes back to Madrid then he leaves on a high note - Obviously things could go the other way and he might struggle but then we already have Lucas, Gerrard and Allen so not much is lost.

Saying all this and he will sign for one of the London clubs tomorrow.

I just don't see the point in getting a player on loan if you can't buy him.

maxxpower

I don't know if I'm still riding the hype from the gold medal, but I am actually not that mad about this loss. Statistically speaking it had to happen soon, plus Chepo should have finally realised that some of the elements he has been calling up just don't work anymore (Reyna, Barrera, and Chicharito more than anyone else).

Chatón and Herrera need to be integrated into the team next month. Marco Fabián has to take the enganche position and Chepo needs to let Gio loose as the right winger --it has always been his preferred position anyway. And after the fuck up against Guyana and tonight, Moreno needs someone on the bench to wake him up. Mier and Reyes, imo, are ready to start fighting for a starting position.

Guardado is still class. Dude was the best (only?) thing tonight.

Barrera used to be my favourite player but now he sucks ass, Chicharito sucks, I'd rather see De Nigris or Peralta up front. Chaton with his unlimited energy could replace both CMs we have right now, and even Torrado(tarado) and Castro. Moreno needs to stop fucking up and he also needs to get rid of that ridiculous Spanish accent, he's been in Spain for barely a year for Christ's sake.

You can tell Guardado gets pissed off at his idiot teammates.

neoanarch

Barrera used to be my favourite player but now he sucks ass, Chicharito sucks, I'd rather see De Nigris or Peralta up front. Chaton with his unlimited energy could replace both CMs we have right now, and even Torrado(tarado) and Castro. Moreno needs to stop fucking up and he also needs to get rid of that ridiculous Spanish accent, he's been in Spain for barely a year for Christ's sake.

You can tell Guardado gets pissed off at his idiot teammates.

Moreno has the chilango lisp. I'm not sure what else your picking up on.

US deserved the victory. I for one have not discarded Chicharito in the line up. He needs some confidence, he lost half a step and he's hesitating on his chances.

maxxpower

Moreno has the chilango lisp. I'm not sure what else your picking up on.

US deserved the victory. I for one have not discarded Chicharito in the line up. He needs some confidence, he lost half a step and he's hesitating on his chances.

If it's confidence he needs, he certainly won't find it at his club team. He's got two forwards ahead of him(Wellbeck and RVP), so he won't get much play time. I think he needs to find a new club where he can be a starter and begin scoring goals again.

Regarding Sahin, there's 4 ways it can go if we get him on loan:

1) He's good enough that Madrid want him back
2) He's good, but not good enough for Madrid, who let us try to buy him
3) The same, but he goes elsewhere
4) He's bad, in which case he sits on our bench and goes back to Madrid anyway

Regarding RVP, what a knob. Arsenal seem to have struggled in the last 6 or so years to make their players give a shit about the club

Regarding Song, Arsenal should have taken the money and ran weeks ago.

Regarding the paid Fantasy League, join it

Regarding sexiest footballers, its Xabi Alonso by a distance

And now for a bit of fun. Lets make a list of the footie-gaf memes we can remember, and that we liked. I'll start us off with the only 2 I'm immediately aware of

Assassin Barry*
Facts which are wrong

*What happened to Manager?

Zabojnik

Don't worry, you soon will have your basque player too!

Reus -> Shaqiri
Lewa/Dzeko -> Mandzukic/Pizarro
Vidal -> Javi Martínez

We ended up with all the plan-B options :p

I hope so, even if I kind of wish we'd end up with the plan-C option, JoJo. :p

Btw, how are you liking Mandzukic so far?

elsk

Banned
I hope so, even if I kind of wish we'd end up with the plan-C option, JoJo. :p

Btw, how are you liking Mandzukic so far?

Very much. I'm hoping him to become our main striker, Mario Gomez getting injured really was good timing.

We needed a striker like him, he can rotate with all the other offensive players so the rivals can't properly mark them. He also makes great passess while still being a great finisher. He's just the kind of striker we needed at Bayern, given the kind of football the team plays.

neoanarch

If it's confidence he needs, he certainly won't find it at his club team. He's got two forwards ahead of him(Wellbeck and RVP), so he won't get much play time. I think he needs to find a new club where he can be a starter and begin scoring goals again.

I wouldn't be so sure, he's the first choice sub. I don't think he's below Welbeck in the pecking order either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom