• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
After reading the graham hunter book about Barca, Guardiola sounds like one of the most dedicated coaches in the world. Apparently he watches hours and hours of footage of opposition teams to learn their weaknesses (even did this when he was Barca B coach) and demands 110% from his players at all times, even in training. If any Barca player was 1 second late to training or he felt they weren't putting the effort in they would be fined and he's not scared to give players the boot (see Hleb, etoo, ibrahimvovic etc)

I think it reeks a little bit of Rodgers/Liverpool at the moment though, if you excuse the prematureness and hyperbole a little. He was comfortable at Swansea because the philosophy was already there. I wonder sometimes if Pep and Barca was the same. Will be interesting to see how he does somewhere else.

Salvadora

I think it reeks a little bit of Rodgers/Liverpool at the moment though, if you excuse the prematureness and hyperbole a little. He was comfortable at Swansea because the philosophy was already there. I wonder sometimes if Pep and Barca was the same. Will be interesting to see how he does somewhere else.

I suppose the questions remains if he could do it on a rainy night at Stoke.

I've just won another £57 by placing a £5 stake on 4 Brazilian matches.

1335154809624.gif

Soi-Fong

For the United fans here, which managers do you guys think are capable of taking over the job from Fergie? Guess I'm looking for a list or whatnot.

Wilbur

Banned
For the United fans here, which managers do you guys think are capable of taking over the job from Fergie? Guess I'm looking for a list or whatnot.

Mourinho definitely. To be honest as much as his public image is appalling at times, so is Fergie's (although not to the extent of poking assistant managers in the eye...). He's really the only person I could see taking over and not being fazed by the job. Plus he's almost a guarantee for success.

Moyes will be a candidate, as will Pep (if he hasn't taken a job by then). But I'm not sure about either.

Maybe if Conte stops being corrupt and escapes prison. Klopp could be a good choice, but it's such a daunting job I can only see Mourinho handling the pressure.

Soi-Fong

Mourinho and Bielsa would be interesting. Crazy how much Bielsa can get out of his players.

Edit: Klopp as well, but that's a huge pressure right away.

K1LLER7

I'll be happy with either Mou or Pepe to be honest. Gus hiddink wouldn't be bad but can't think of too many.

It'll have to be someone whose one of the top managers in the world and i'm hoping they'll change the style in which the team will play. I want someone who's focused more on passing and movement than repeated wing play which we do quite often now.

All you cronies have two weeks to use your wild card and get RVP and boost my team value.
Swapped him in for Hazard and made him Captain :D

Wilbur

Banned
I'll be happy with either Mou or Pepe to be honest. Gus hiddink wouldn't be bad but can't think of too many.

It'll have to be someone whose one of the top managers in the world and i'm hoping they'll change the style in which the team will play. I want someone who's focused more on passing and movement than repeated wing play which we do quite often now.

Pep would be perfect for this but I think it would be a risk bringing him somewhere that doesn't have Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

I never understood the Mourinho anti-football brigade. His first season with Chelsea they were banging in four goals every week, and the other two didn't necessarily have them going 2-0 up and then hanging on ala Chelsea at Wigan the other week. They just did what Barca do and kept the ball to kill off the game. Madrid are an extremely exciting team to watch, and I can't say I watched enough of Inter outside the Champions League (and the Barca match wasn't anti football, it was fucking brilliant).

Empty

thinking about the next united manager is so weird. everytime i think about t's still staggering that for the entirety of my life manchester united have had the same manager.

it's really such a luxury. you don't have to deal with the extra pressure on the team of a manager facing the sack or a new manager like avb struggling a bit at the very start, never in a weird state of constant transition between managers with different plans like liverpool these days. hope there's a long period of fergie time before he finishes up.

bud23

Cristiano "I didn't celebrate the goals because I'm upset. It's about a professional matter and the club knows what it is. Iniesta? No, he doesn't have anything to do with it. I'm not going say any more on the subject. I'm now only thinking about Portugal and that's it. I'm not going to talk about the matter further. The club knows what's going on with me".

I can see to Cristiano in the City next season.

Soi-Fong

Cristiano "I didn't celebrate the goals because I'm upset. It's about a professional matter and the club knows what it is. Iniesta? No, he doesn't have anything to do with it. I'm not going say any more on the subject. I'm now only thinking about Portugal and that's it. I'm not going to talk about the matter further. The club knows what's going on with me".

I can't. :p

kharma45

Pep would be perfect for this but I think it would be a risk bringing him somewhere that doesn't have Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

I never understood the Mourinho anti-football brigade. His first season with Chelsea they were banging in four goals every week, and the other two didn't necessarily have them going 2-0 up and then hanging on ala Chelsea at Wigan the other week. They just did what Barca do and kept the ball to kill off the game. Madrid are an extremely exciting team to watch, and I can't say I watched enough of Inter outside the Champions League (and the Barca match wasn't anti football, it was fucking brilliant).

At the end of the day winning is all that matters. You can play lovely football ala Arsenal and that's nice but they ain't got jack shit to show for it.

I'd rather win ugly than play nice and win nowt.

Soi-Fong

At the end of the day winning is all that matters. You can play lovely football ala Arsenal and that's nice but they ain't got jack shit to show for it.

Results are important, but the kind of game we had today was despicable. We shouldn't have to rely on RVP like that.

Wilbur

Banned
thinking about the next united manager is so weird. everytime i think about t's still staggering that for the entirety of my life manchester united have had the same manager.

it's really such a luxury. you don't have to deal with the extra pressure on the team of a manager facing the sack or a new manager like avb struggling a bit at the very start, never in a weird state of constant transition between managers with different plans like liverpool these days. hope there's a long period of fergie time before he finishes up.

Yeah, I've never once felt he's in danger of getting sacked, which is lovely. I think he'll leave unannounced though, we went off the boil 10 years ago when he announced it. That day will fucking horrify me. That day and the day Bob Dylan dies are the two big cultural things I'm really not looking forward to.

Same age as well. MY GOD ALL MY HEROES ARE THE SAME AGE AS MY GRANDMOTHER

I agree; I'm just disputing the myth he played ugly football.

If Fergie retired tomorrow and I had the pick of everyone, it would be Mourinho.

Lunchbox

Banned

He's coming home
He's coming home

he's coming, ronnys coming home

w60j5.jpg

look how happy he looks in red

Soi-Fong

Wenger to United would shatter me but no way. Wenger talks about loyality way too much for that, imo but Wenger would be great for United if he went there.

See!!? You get this loyalty stuff. That's why I can't see Ronaldo goong to City or Chelsea.

Ronaldo still very much adores United since it's where he got his big break with Fergie's help.

K1LLER7

They, Madrid are brilliant and i'm guessing it'll come down to if we have the players avilable for that style of play. Knowing Mou, if he wants a player and if he really wants him, he'll most likely get him. He has more experience than Pep too which is something Fergie and United will look at and he'll probably be suited to handle the pressure more than any other manager.

---------------------------

Don't know why but I could see this next on Marca, "Irina Shayk seen cheating on Ronaldo with team-mate Sergio Ramos".

Soi-Fong

I can envisage huge ramifications, not just for Madrid, but the entire league if Ronaldo were to leave

Tevez. He takes pens too

If Ronaldo ever rejoined United and we got a competent midfield, I'm pretty sure that fear that eminates from Barcelona that scares teams would be the same exact one that United will start to exude as well. Would be insane. But alas, muppetland.

Lightning

Banned
See!!? You get this loyalty stuff. That's why I can't see Ronaldo goong to City or Chelsea.

Ronaldo still very much adores United since it's where he got his big break with Fergie's help.
You could say the same thing if Cesc ever left Barcelona. Cesc loves Arsenal, it's obvious, but does that mean he wouldn't go to City, United or Chelsea if the opportunity arose? He says he wouldn't, only Arsenal and Barca for him according to his own words, and I would like to think he wouldn't but you never know.

Soi-Fong

You could say the same thing if Cesc ever left Barcelona. Cesc loves Arsenal, it's obvious, but does that mean he wouldn't go to City, United or Chelsea if the opportunity arose? He says he wouldn't, only Arsenal and Barca for him according to his own words, and I would like to think he wouldn't but you never know.

Barca was his boyhood club though. Pretty sure City isn't Ronaldo's boyhood club.

If Ronaldo ever rejoined United and we got a competent midfield, I'm pretty sure that fear that eminates from Barcelona that scares teams would be the same exact one that United will start to exude as well. Would be insane. But alas, muppetland.

Till you actually play Barca and immediately become underdogs

K1LLER7

We had this between 2006-2009 and Scholes was so much younger :(

Lunchbox

Banned

he is a one man, fergie already said he is the only player that he would take back in a heartbeat. 100million is nothing compared to what he brings to a team, both on and off the pitch.

the swagger man utd had in 06-09 was unbelievable to watch, you can never recreate that without a player of his caliber

thats why he's going to psg

elsk

Banned

So, like Real Madrid?

Soi-Fong

Till you actually play Barca and immediately become underdogs

Lol Pretty much. Haha

On another note, some will give the example of RVP, but you also haveto remember that he didn't win jackshit with Arsenal. I'm positive RVP would have stayed if the hunger for trophies was still there from Arsenal as well as winning a fee as well.

So, like Real Madrid?

Scarier. Red freaks out opposition more than white! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom