• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesusTom

Bundesliga aren't dominating anything. A PL club has been in in 4 of the last 5 Champions League finals. United may have been beaten twice by Barca but there is no shame in that as they're possibly the greatest team of all time.

And it's laughable to say that Chelsea won by accident. They beat Barca and Beyern fairly. Stop chatting shite and look up things before you post drivel.

Give this man a medal!

dc89

Don't want Messi on the box? EA got you covered

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/1/fifa13-club-pack

mcfc.png

I'm going to print this cover off!

---

Also I had a bad feeling about the Vita version the moment it got to early September and we still hadn't seen ONE screen from the game. Rip off merchants EA. I may as well just go buy FIFA Football for £5 now.

Chelsea were destined to win that trophy. The Napoli game where Cole cleared the ball off the line before it became 4-1. Even in the return leg, the Italians should have scored. The Barcelona ties, and then the Mario Herp Derp Gomez show in the final. Zeus could have come on the pitch and he would have missed a penalty.

I cant imagine how the Baaaayyyeeeern fans felt that night

near

Gold Member
Yeah that's what I want to know.

I don't think we'll get an answer, and if we're lucky to do so, it'll be one full of uneducated shit. This is the same guy who equated the age and roles of Fergie/Wenger to Scholes/Giggs and if that wasn't bad enough, he asks why they're still in the industry. As if there is no parity in experience and knowledge with football. :s

GorillaJu

The part that says Mrs Desai told supporters to name three fans who needed life changing medical procedures is really strange. I don't think it's unusual at all for companies to offer money for medical procedures to improve public image but specifically mentioning that the number is 3 people and candidly telling this to a supporter's group just seems too transparent. Funny though and congratulations to those those 3 lottery winners

The part that says Mrs Desai told supporters to name three fans who needed life changing medical procedures is really strange. I don't think it's unusual at all for companies to offer money for medical procedures to improve public image but specifically mentioning that the number is 3 people and candidly telling this to a supporter's group just seems too transparent. Funny though and congratulations to those those 3 lottery winners

But do you think they know the NHS exists?

ShogunX

Suso, Sahin and Wisdom all apparently starting for Liverpool tomorrow as is Daniel Agger. Personally would of liked to of seen Johnson back on the right but I guess Wisdom deserves a start after a few excellent performances in the cups.

faridmon

Oh, I forgot to mention: I went to King Charles Gig last night which was great. However, it exemplifies why I really don't like Mainstream acts. Shrieking Girls everywhere. Couldn't hear many of his sequences because of that. Also, when he finished the gig and started to walk around, the image of those pathetic girls running around after him like he was some sort of saints was quite embarrassing. Bloody hell!

HIs performance was good though, he does have this energetic approach to his life performance which was quite remarkable, really. Also, I like his vocals, so it was nice to see him live.

Anyone lelse like King Charles?

JesusTom

Suso, Sahin and Wisdom all apparently starting for Liverpool tomorrow as is Daniel Agger. Personally would of liked to of seen Johnson back on the right but I guess Wisdom deserves a start after a few excellent performances in the cups.

It's good to see young players getting a chance, I was impressed with Wisdom in the cup.

Zabojnik

What is it, apart from (obviously) goals, that Juve want in a striker? What would the ideal addition play like ?

The simple answer would be: everything. Failing that, someone that excels at something. I'd take a pure poacher alla Inzaghi with no other skills, someone with a brilliant first touch, someone that's a master at shielding the ball with his back against the goal, someone that has the technical ability to dialogue with our advancing midfielders in narrow spaces, someone tall who's great at scoring with his head (our crossing sucks, but maybe we'll see an improvement with Isla) and so on.

Vucinic is a great player, but he's inconsistent, always has been, always will be. He's improved and matured since he moved to Torino, but he's still Vucinic. Love him, hate him. He's not the real problem, though. His partners are. Matri, Quagliarella and Giovinco (nevermind Bendtner) are all decent strikers, but they're just not cutting it in this Juve so far. Matri is best suited for counter-attacking style football, he needs his teammates to work for him and serve him the ball on a silver platter. We kind of managed to do just that when we were playing with 4-3-3 with Vucinic and Pepe running their asses off and serving him from the sides, but even then he was often missing 100% chances. Also, his first touch is just horrible and you just can't expect to play possesion-based football with someone like that. He's been terrible ever since we switched to 3-5-2.

Quagliarella is a mistery, wrapped in a riddle. He's known for his impossibile goals and you can expect brief periods of pure footballing genius from him. He'll get you 10-15 goals in a good season, but that's about it. He'll be great for a couple of games, then he'll disappear completely, leaving you wondering what the hell is wrong with him. He's just too moody. I always compare him to Di Natale. A great provincial player.

Giovinco ... well, we'll see how it goes with him. So far, not so good. The more I see him play as a first/second striker, the more I'm convinced that the only position that would suit him at the highest level, is a WF in a 4-3-3. He's just too tiny to hold his own against towering central defenders, he gets literally blown away at the slightest touch from behind. Sometimes that's a plus - free kicks / yellow cards - more often then not he'll just lose the ball and grow more and more frustrated.

Yeah ... I don't know. I guess the right answer would be: we need someone that's simply a lot better than the strikers we have now. :)

LegoArmo

I think I lost one 10-0 in FIFA 12 but I honestly gave up at 5-0. Never quit a match I've been losing though.

I got a message after from the guy that said "hmm too easy". No kidding.

Linius

Never played FUT, maybe try it in 13. I got some EA credits code for purchasing the game at a certain store. Guess I'll look into it to see what it's all about.

For now I'm even troubled against CPU at pro level. That defending system is hard on me :p

I tried Ultimate Team in FIFA 11 but I hated having to use some cards to allow players to keep... playing.

I have never really bothered with ultimate team until now but... Yeah that contract card stuff is annoying me a lot too. But it's pretty good fun building up a team.

Whenever you whinge or are annoyed about the lack of personality shown by people in the football industry, spare a thought for those poor bastards known as golf fans. Christ

JesusTom

I think it was suppose to confuse the other player, but it was so poorly timed it had no effect on him. But its so damn hilarious. I love Anderson.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great player, but he should concentrate on playing the game and not messing about.

Soi-Fong

Lost a ultimate team match 9-0, it was hard not to pull the internet cable. :'[

Wanted to turn my PC off after going down 2-1. At he secon half he was up to 4 goals, and I was able to get one more back, but what pissed me off was not the scoreline but just knowing this guy played better overall than me.

Dibbz

That's not even a trick. Its not anything. Good to see him using some free time on the ball to get some extra excercise in though.

Ah come on he faked a Rabona but it's not his fault the defender didn't fall for it since he wasn't switched on.

Talking of Rabona's...

ibmKWKxMyOuf4N.gif

Arnie

Play well, keep playing. Love the raw logic. Shame for Robinson though but it's understandable given Johnson's experience and threat.

elsk

Banned
Interesting article by Raphael Honigstein on Kroos "the best player in Germany right now".

Kroos emerges as talk of Bayern Munich, challenging German stars

Bayern Munich has long prided itself on its youth development, and with some justification: half of the first-team regulars that made it to the Champions League final in May came through the club's academy system. But they don't always get it right in Bavaria.
"Toni Kroos is the most naturally gifted player I have ever seen since Karl-Heinz Rummenigge," Bayern's head of youth development Werner Kern told SI.com with a heavy heart in October 2010. "In my view, it was a grave mistake sending him out to loan to Leverkusen for 18 months."

The young midfielder had actually established himself as a bona fide Bundesliga professional during his successful spell at the Bay-Arena, but the inference was obvious: Kroos, Kern felt, had not nearly developed as well as his talent had warranted.

Fast forward two years and the mood at Säbener Strasse, the club's HQ, has very much changed. For all the brilliance of the re-emerging Bastian Schweinsteiger, the imperious poise of Javier Martinez, the finishing of Mario Mandzukic and the overall quality of Jupp Heynckes' vastly improved squad, the name on everyone's lips is Toni Kroos.
Bayern's No. 39 has truly come into his own in his preferred position as the most advanced central midfielder, scoring three goals in the league and one in the Champions League. All of them were absolute beauties, too: there are few better strikers of the ball than the 22-year-old from Greifswald in Northeast Germany.

A steady supply of goals had been missing from his game until recently along with an even more essential ingredient: a die-hard will to win. Kroos' elegance on the ball would often drift into a kind of self-satisfied detachment, to the point that he was happy to simply be swept along.

"Toni is the ideal player in this position," Heynckes said. "But it takes more than being gentle with the ball. He sometimes needs reminding of that. He, too, can do more."
New sporting director Matthias Sammer said something similar a few weeks ago: "Toni has extraordinary talent. But he needs to get to the point where he's really utilizing his potential. He needs to find and keep that hunger (to succeed)."

If Sammer is really responsible for Kroos' change of mind, as the player intimated -- "he has an aura that's very important for us young players, he's someone that can get the last few percentage points out of you" -- then his employment has already been vindicated. Kroos has finally started pushing himself that extra bit further.

Thomas Müller, who's far less talented technically but better at getting the most out of himself, can no longer hope to be an automatic starter in the No. 10/playmaker position, such has been Kroos' development. An important breakthrough had come in the semifinal against Real Madrid in May, where the son of a former GDR badminton champion mother had completely bossed a midfield populated by international superstars. He can play the killer pass, bring order and symmetry into congested space and, most importantly, keep possession for his team.

"The ball is safe with him," Bayern assistant coach and former youth manager Hermann Gerland once memorably observed.

In school, they had realized his phenomenal potential early. "He was so good that they made him play without boots to give the opponents a chance," remembered his former teacher Sieglinde Heimann in an interview with Welt. Kroos was a fairly lazy student, doing little more than the bare minimum to graduate.

When he was 16, he signed with Bayern and moved into the club's boarding school. A year later, he was voted best player at the U17 World Cup. He started playing for Bayern's first team, scored a goal in the UEFA Cup and was promised the No. 10 shirt by general manager Uli Hoeness. Then fate, in the shape of Jürgen Klinsmann, intervened. The Swabian handed Kroos only three league starts as Bayern Manager in the 2008-09 season. The player's father and agent, Roland Kroos, angrily complained that Klinsmann "had no plan" for the player's development. The budding midfielder was sent out to loan to Leverkusen during the winter break and soon flourished with the help of Heynckes, who was in charge at the Bay-Arena at the time.

Leverkusen tried hard to keep him after his loan spell had come to an end in the summer of 2010, but Bayern didn't relent. It took another year of mixed success under Louis van Gaal, who was mostly playing him in a deeper position, for him to truly come into his own as the attacking linchpin. Kroos has emerged from his own shadow, and that of Schweinsteiger, his Bayern teammate.

"There is no reason why I shouldn't keep playing in my favorite position," he said after scoring in a 2-0 win over Schalke on Saturday, with typical confidence.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...-kroos-bayern-munich/index.html#ixzz27msZs8tk

I really never liked Kroos, because his work rate and his whole attitude was very shit. He usually didn't gave a shit about what was happening in the match, but suddenly that changed this season... he's finally working. I guess Sammer is in big part responsible of that.

Arnie

I'm excited for Spurs - United this weekend but I'm also ready for the bullshit that allows United to win.

Agree with Clegg on this one. Can you honestly say you're confident given the way Spurs have been playing recently, and you can't use United's performance at Anfield as a barometer for them, for obvious reasons.

If you play like you did against Norwich, for example, you'll get mauled. Saying that, Dembele's slotted into the team nicely, and he tore United's Wilburyhole open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom