• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Arnie

A) Been posted
B) It's Diouf
C) He's a cunt
D) You're playing into the Leeds fan stereotype

I just became a Napoli fan for 24 hours. Soz Yurt.

Heh, the days of Three Point Lane are long past now. Not feeling tomorrow personally, though I think there'll be a few goals.
I'm usually negative about all our games. However, I had a good feeling about our last three Prem games and we won them all (obviously this means nothing). I have a good feeling about tomorrow too, so here's hoping the good times keep rolling.

Of course now that I've said that they wont. But still...

chelseaflag.gif

Arnie

We're dirty Leeds, after all. He may be a sewer rat but he's our sewer rat. Captain too.

Gerrard's egotistical, calls himself a 'demi-god' in the same interview.

In fairness he played class against Everton, so I'll forgive him these muggish words.

Hixx

Fuck football who's seen the latest Halo Forward Unto Dawn episode? I thought the first 2 episodes were a bit naff but holy shit that was cool as fuck.

Arnie

Fuck football who's seen the latest Halo Forward Unto Dawn episode? I thought the first 2 episodes were a bit naff but holy shit that was cool as fuck.

I've got the LE ordered so I'll wait until I can watch it all at once.

Really enjoyed the first episode.

Bumhead

Banned
What on earth is Fan Chants and why are they charging 79p for what is no doubt a mumbled phone recording of some pissed blokes shouting?

I can assure you if it's a player of Jovetic's quality we'll spend big. As I say, we've saved £20 odd million this season through wages alone, we've got all our commercial interests, as well as £25 million from Warrior, and whatever money's raised from Carroll.

This idea that Liverpool won't spend any money is a fallacy built on a summer of conservative spending because the summer before that we spent big. The fans want a star striker, the club is desperate for goals, and the manager and owners are fully aware of it.
I do think Liverpool would spend £20m on Jovetic if he became available, BUT, the financial picture for Liverpool isn't as clear cut as that.

For one, Liverpool made some pretty big losses last year, about £50m. So even when you adjust for the £20m wage savings and the extra £10m or so in kit sponsorship (the Adidas deal was about £12-£15m I think) that covers the existing losses which Liverpool were already on course to make - and get's Liverpool to break even.

You then need to consider the host of new contracts which have been signed in the last few months, most of those players will have been given a pay rise and also the stadium redevelopment costs which the club will be wary of.

As I say, I think Liverpool would pay the money if they could get a really good player for £20m+ and the additional TV money coming in soon will help also....but Liverpool's finances were out of control, the savings made will have largely just offset them, not necessarily added to the spending power.

Yen

I do think Liverpool would spend £20m on Jovetic if he became available, BUT, the financial picture for Liverpool isn't as clear cut as that.

For one, Liverpool made some pretty big losses last year, about £50m and that's after removing the one-off costs like the money wasted on stadium designs and Hodgson's pay off. So even when you adjust for the £20m wage savings and the extra £10m or so in kit sponsorship (the Adidas deal was about £12-£15m I think) that covers the existing losses which Liverpool were already on course to make - and get's Liverpool to break even.

You then need to consider the host of new contracts which have been signed in the last few months, most of those players will have been given a pay rise and also the stadium redevelopment costs which the club will be wary of.

As I say, I think Liverpool would pay the money if they could get a really good player for £20m+ and the additional TV money coming in soon will help also....but Liverpool's finances were out of control, the savings made will have largely just offset them, not necessarily added to the spending power.

The stadium plans cost Liverpool £55m.

The stadium plans cost Liverpool £55m.
In that financial year the club recorded a loss of £46m, after stadium costs are removed.

Edit - Unless you mean the plans for the redevelopment? I thought costs hadn't been discussed yet.

Double edit - Sorry, I just checked the figures. I'm mistaken, the club would have broken even after those costs are taken out.

Arnie

Woah. That bad? I knew this week's news was too good to be all true. :/
Looper's class, really don't know how to respond in any other way. Properly brilliant.

For one, Liverpool made some pretty big losses last year, about £50m and that's after removing the one-off costs like the money wasted on stadium designs and Hodgson's pay off. So even when you adjust for the £20m wage savings and the extra £10m or so in kit sponsorship (the Adidas deal was about £12-£15m I think) that covers the existing losses which Liverpool were already on course to make - and get's Liverpool to break even.

I've not got much time to respond because I leave in 10 minutes, but put shortly, yes there are financial restrictions, and the money's still got to be controlled and spent far more prudently than the summer of 2011, but it's almost an acknowledged fact that the club will dip into their pockets to buy quality up front.

I at least see the club going for a player who'll win back some of that cash on shirt sales through star value, not just a six month stop gap like Bent or Sturridge.

Yen

In that financial year the club recorded a loss of £46m, after stadium costs are removed.

Edit - Unless you mean the plans for the redevelopment? I thought costs hadn't been discussed yet.

Double edit - Sorry, I just checked the figures. I'm mistaken, the club would have broken even after those costs are taken out.

Yar. We would've made a big profit if we didn't sign Downing!

Yar. We would've made a big profit if we didn't sign Downing!
True but then there was a nice windfall from the Torres sale.

I think going forwards Liverpool wll have a budget of something like £30m (net). But that could be eaten up by signing just one player. Carroll is pretty much the last player which can be moved on for some good money.

Still can't believe they didn't wanna pay out for Dempsey.

Is the club not also paying for the redevelopment of Anfield?
Yeah. We don't know how much it will cost though. I assume they are going to have a naming rights partner who they'll hope will help foot the bill.

There was a BBC article that said £150m.
Ah okay. I know the government has put forwards £25m. That's for the redevelopment costs for the general area though, there will probably be some over-lap.

I wonder if the capacity will be reduced during redevelopment. That can hit the results sometimes.

Slizz

Man I dunno wtf happened to me today. Got 5 hrs of sleep which is usually good enough but apparently not today. Slept another 4 random hrs after I already woke up and ate.

Alduin

A Diouf fan?

Really?

When Warnock signed him, most fans was unhappy with his decision but then when he started to put on at least a good performance every time, most fans have grown to like him. Plus, he even give his kit to fans during half time and/or full time.

Yen

Ah okay. I know the government has put forwards £25m. That's for the redevelopment costs for the general area though, there will probably be some over-lap.

I wonder if the capacity will be reduced during redevelopment. That can hit the results sometimes.

Back in the early nineties, they just built over the stand they were working on, so capacity wasn't reduced.

Top Bottom