• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Clegg

Was Cesc better at Arsenal?

Yes.

At Arsenal he popped up all over the pitch and influenced the game. They don't like him doing that at Barca as it doesn't suit their tactics.

I don't think he's playing that badly tbh. He just isn't the main man like he used to be.

Russia get a late winner against Azerbaijan and Portugal loses points to best Ireland. What a fantastic day. 5 points up in the group now. We broke Portugal's will in the last match. Pepe was so salty that he broke a pane of glass in the locker room after the match.

Salvadora

Not as much of a goal scorer but I preferred him at Arsenal.

Yes. Strangely given his background I think he has a harder time integrating with the Barca style.

I'd definitely say so. I still think he should have left for Barca when Xavi hit 34.

Easily. Dribbling, shooting, set pieces were all better due to the system allowing him to display his skill. And at Barca, they make absolutely zero use of his best attribute, the ability to play a perfect pass between 20 and 40 yards for another player to run onto in a quick attack. At Barca, the buildup is too slow, and the opposition too clustered for him to do it
Yes.

At Arsenal he popped up all over the pitch and influenced the game. They don't like him doing that at Barca as it doesn't suit their tactics.
That's what I thought but I haven't really seen Barcelona enough to really say. It's such a shame because he was so incredible for us.

FootballFan

Was Cesc better at Arsenal?

Much better player to watch at Arsenal. He was the main man there and knew he was responsible to create and do stuff, which he usually did. At Barca he does simple passes, jogs and not much really because he knows the 3 gods can create the goals.

I can praise his hard work in defense though, same with Sanchez, but that isn't the most important thing.

Sanchez was so awesome last season, he has had a pretty damn shit start to this season.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Russia get a late winner against Azerbaijan and Portugal loses points to best Ireland. What a fantastic day. 5 points up in the group now. We broke Portugal's will in the last match. Pepe was so salty that he broke a pane of glass in the locker room after the match.

Well done. We did the same to Uruguay last month and now they're in danger of not even making the world cup.

WoodenLung said:
They didn't, although Sanchez was way over priced.

Pretty sure both were over 40 million euros

I really don't think Cesc is any worse.

He's just not the key player. Most players look better when they get the freedom and responsibility to lead the side.

Barca have 3/4 players at least ahead of him and set roles in their side which are occupied by players which are just so good at those jobs. Busquets is perfect in the DM role, Xavi is the master of setting tempo, Messi is just the best...and then Iniesta is the guy who floats around picking it up in the pockets and he's pretty damn good too.

Cesc just hasn't got his chance.

He's just not the key player. Most players look better when they get the freedom and responsibility to lead the side.

Barca have 3/4 players at least ahead of him and set roles in their side which are occupied by players which are just so good at those jobs. Busquets is perfect in the DM role, Xavi is the master of setting tempo, Messi is just the best...and then Iniesta is the guy who floats around picking it up in the pockets and he's pretty damn good too.

He's not worse tehnically (probably) but he is worse in that he doesn't get to display his ability. It goes beyond being overshadowed imo, and veers into the territory of simply not fitting right

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Maybe Arsene is just saving his pennies to buy Cesc back.
:(

daniFUNNY.gif

Pretty sure both were over 40 million euros
Sanchez was 26M Euro rising to 35M in clauses.

Falcao was 40M Euro rising to 50M.

Something like that.

He's not worse tehnically (probably) but he is worse in that he doesn't get to display his ability. It goes beyond being overshadowed imo, and veers into the territory of simply not fitting right
Yeah you're right.

He should come to United and warm the bench for Clev.

Salvadora

Atletico still hasn't paid for Falcao right? They will have to sell him.
I think the story was that they missed an installment of the fee and Porto were threatening to report them. No clue what happened but I remember reading an article that portrayed Atletico as in a very bad financial position.

FootballFan

Yeah like I said in my post, he isn't a worse player than he was at Arsenal at all. But he is much less fun to watch.

His role doesn't let him show anything, when you have Messi, Xavi and Iniesta in a team + Busquets dominating the middle it will always be hard for you to take charge and stand out.

edit
Also Error I don't think anyone here is complaining about that penalty, everyone misses penalties, Robben, Messi, Ronaldo etc.

kharma45

Just saw tonights results, fuck Germany and Northern Ireland ruining my big accumulator.

PS How the fuck did we draw with Portugal?! Dunno whether to be happy that we managed a shock point or that they buggered up (although with Germany drawing that doesn't really matter now).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
at arsenal he wasn't overshadowed by anyone, at Barca there's more competition and he is constantly overshadowed by Xavi, Iniesta and Messi.

He is not better or worse, imo.

I think he has been fantastic for us, so far. We would've lost that Sevilla match if it wasn't for him.

FootballFan

Any predictions on who the big summer transfer saga will be over?

I can see a lot of clubs going for Marco Reus.

He just joined Dortmund, don't really see him leaving. Isco, Falcao and Llorente seem like more likely transfers imo. edit Scratch that, who knows wtf will happen with Llorente lol.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Falcao and Rodriguez would be my guesses.

My waifus :/

I'd like for James to go to Spain but I wouldn't mind Falcao staying at Atletico. James needs to bulk up a bit before he goes to a bigger league imo. Paraguay was fouling the shit out of him last friday.

James scored this against Chile last month from a free kick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqjgw18siDs

FootballFan said:
He just joined Dortmund, don't really see him leaving. Isco, Falcao and Llorente seem like more likely transfers imo. edit Scratch that, who knows wtf will happen with Llorente lol.

Llorente is going to Barca. He's already used to riding the bench for the national team anyway

United should keep raiding Dortmund.

Hummels and Gundogan would be the stuff of dreams.

We won't be able to afford either :(

1) People saying 'the' Arsenal
2) The word 'banter'
3) Commentators and pundits being afraid to use the word 'dive' when discussing a British/Irish player
4) Claiming that a draw/loss is harsh when your result hasn't been affected by the officials/unfortunate circumstance
5) Mark Halsey
6) Everything Eric Cantona ever did being cosidered a stroke of genius
7) Lee Sharpe's dress sense
8) 'Olé'
9) Going over the top when defending the suggestion of bias and incompetence
10) Typical *, leaving things til the last minute/making things hard for ourselves/screwing up when we're on the verge of success
11) Teams that play on with an 'injured' teammate, then expect the other team to put the ball out when they lose it
12) Man Utd fans whinging about a lack of transfer funds

:p

It was rumoured before. Personally I think he'll go to PSG. He already put on a clinic against them in the champions league a couple of weeks ago.

James goal vs PSG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY1p0AT47Is
United DO want him. We've scouted him extensively.

We just won't be able to afford him.

2) The word 'banter'
3) Commentators and pundits being afraid to use the word 'dive' when discussing a British/Irish player
4) Claiming that a draw/loss is harsh when your result hasn't been affected by the officials/unfortunate circumstance
5) Mark Halsey
8) 'Olé'
10) Typical *, leaving things til the last minute/making things hard for ourselves/screwing up when we're on the verge of success
11) Teams that play on with an 'injured' teammate, then expect the other team to put the ball out when they lose it

You murdered me.

There is nothing worse you can say.

Clegg

United should keep raiding Dortmund.

Hummels and Gundogan would be the stuff of dreams.

We won't be able to afford either :(

I know we need a quality midfielder but I'd have to choose Hummels if we were going for another Dortmund player. Rio and Vidic aren't getting any younger and all we have as replacements are Evans and two kids in Smalling and Jones.

We'd never get Hummels anyway. He signed a contract extension in the Summer.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
2) The word 'banter'
5) Mark Halsey
8) 'Olé'

lulz-1.gif

Salvadora

Fernando Torres, 28, has revealed the full depth of his despair at Chelsea last season, admitting it reached the stage where he and other team-mates no longer cared whether the club won or lost.
http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2012/10/15/actualidad/1350329162_598731.html
Tottenham's future?

I do when I retire only thing that worries me is that nobody can say I've been a bad teammate, a disrespectful, an enlarged. I'm sure that in 20 years, if I seek to Asturias Juan [Mata], Santi [Cazorla], if I will step through Andalusia to see Sergio [Ramos] Pepe [Reina]. That's the beauty. Some friends, when football is over, you lose.
Everyone loves him.

Salvadora

2) The word 'banter'
5) Mark Halsey
8) 'Olé'

Best one on the list.

Top Bottom