• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

I'll believe the explosive knee when I see it explode. I haven't seen Huntelaar play. Is he awesomesauce? Will he be the best Spanish player in the Premier League after 8 games?
He had a terrible miss against us in the Champion's League.
And scored a goal

Feorax

Ba's a class striker, been a fan since he signed for West Ham, however I've heard too much about his explosive knee, plus my anxious demeanour, for me to actively want us to sign him.

Huntelaar please.

Both maybe? It's not like were overflowing with strikers and both could be gotten pretty cheap over the next 12 months.

LegoArmo

I was pretty confident Suarez would score more this season, simply because he has to, basically. He's the main man now, the centre of every attack, and he either had to rise to the challenge, or Liverpool would be royally fucked.

Suarez is bound to score goals simply because he happens to have so many chances. He creates quite a few for himself and his team-mates get him quite a few too.

I think he scored 17 last year. He missed like 10 games too, so you can call that a 20 goal season of sorts. Which is pretty good really. It's not GREAT and the standard for goalscoring does seem to be very high these days, but 20 goals is still a good amount.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Ratings based on stats.

bhpBJ.jpg

Arnie

Suarez is bound to score goals simply because he happens to have so many chances. He creates quite a few for himself and his team-mates get him quite a few too.

I think he scored 17 last year. He missed like 10 games too, so you can call that a 20 goal season of sorts. Which is pretty good really. It's not GREAT and the standard for goalscoring does seem to be very high these days, but 20 goals is still a good amount.

This season he's definitely increased a gear, and looks closer to the player he is for Uruguay. Yes he scuffs a few chances, but the sheer number he creates single handedly, as well for other players is staggering. On form alone this season I'd say he's up there with Fletcher and Van Persie, to be honest.

And the main man thing's a bit of a misnomer, he was the main man plenty of times last season.

LegoArmo

He wasn't exactly, though, this year he has two teenage boys flanking him most weeks. Last year was his first full season in a new country, with supposedly experienced players like Downing, Kuyt etc. in support.

Anyway, I think his chance conversion has definitely gone up a gear.

Arnie

He wasn't exactly, though, this year he has two teenage boys flanking him most weeks. Last year was his first full season in a new country, with supposedly experienced players like Downing, Kuyt etc. in support.

Anyway, I think his chance conversion has definitely gone up a gear.

Kuyt didn't start. Downing's a bastion of anonymity as it is. If anything he's had more support this year, at least in and around the box.

Regardless, his actual play, in terms of creating for himself and his teammates, as well as his finishing has improved noticeably, as an aside to any tactical reinvigoration from last season.

Oh and the ending to Episode 4 of Homeland was class.

Mirror reports of a scuffle in the ref's room after Sunday's game.

Mark Clattenburg is understood to have told the FA that John Obi Mikel hurled expletive-laden threats in the referees’ room after Chelsea’s loss to Manchester United.

Under-fire Clattenburg has chronicled in detail the startling flashpoint that unfolded off the pitch as a climax to the mayhem on it.

The Premier League, who have already seen his version of events, refused to comment on it on Monday night.

Clattenburg has filed an “extraordinary incident report”.

In it, he is believed to have listed an explosive time-line of events that took place during a confrontation in his designated area that sources claim descended into scenes resembling “a pub brawl”.

Extraordinary incident reports are normally filed when referees believe an incident has taken place that falls outside their jurisdiction on a match-day and into that of the FA.

The Mirror understands the scenes in Clattenburg’s dressing room area took place almost two hours before Chelsea revealed they were reporting the Gosforth official to the Premier League for allegedly using a racial slur towards two Blues players – Mikel and Juan Mata – on the field of play.

Yet while Clattenburg found himself at the centre of the unprecedented accusations, the latest shocking claims could lead to problems for the European champions.

They would come in addition to the hot water in which they find themselves following the behaviour of supporters who aimed coins and a seat at celebrating United players on Sunday.

It was at around 6.05pm, minutes after the final whistle of United’s win, that Clattenburg and his assistants – Simon Long and Michael McDonough – were confronted in the officials’ dressing room by a Chelsea delegation.

The party consisted of chief executive Ron Gourlay, manager Roberto Di Matteo, his assistant Eddie Newton and Mikel.

They had gone into the referee’s room demanding a reponse from Clattenburg after making the claim that the official had insulted two of their players.

Clattenburg, who had sent off Chelsea players Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres and allowed a United winner scored by an offside player, refused.

Matters quickly became heated, with Mikel seen and heard screaming in the direction of Clattenburg.

Banging and shouting could be heard coming from the referee’s dressing room.

Seconds later, tunnel security staff rushed into the room to come between the two parties.

They were followed into what is an enclosed area by Chelsea captain John Terry, who watch the game from the stand while continuing his FA suspension for racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

Terry raced from the other end of the tunnel area – around 15 yards – to join the melee

The door was then closed, and the shouting and screaming continued for several further minutes.

One source told the Mirror: “It was like a fight had started in a pub and all the bouncers were rushing in to deal with it.”

Once the fracas was calmed down, Terry emerged, followed by Gourlay and Newton, Mikel and the security staff.

The door was again closed, leaving Di Matteo alone with the officials.

Several minutes after that, the Italian came out “drenched in sweat”, before regaining his composure to go and speak to the media.

Di Matteo later confirmed at his press conference that he had been to see the referee.

But he did not reveal the incendiary events that had also taken place in Clattenburg's room.

An hour after Di Matteo had concluded his media duties, Chelsea confirmed they were lodging a complaint with Premier League match delegate Nick Cusack, relating to “inappropriate language” used by Clattenburg towards two players.

Although the club refused to elaborate on the nature of what was said, they were understood to be claiming Clattenburg had used language that could be interpreted as racially offensive.

At least three Chelsea players are said to be ready to give statements to the FA’s disciplinary committee.

The FA, however, will speak to, and where appropriate take written statements from, ALL relevant parties connected with Sunday’s events - players, officials and stadium staff.

The Premier League received Clattenburg’s report on Monday morning.

It was in turn forwarded to the Football Association who announced within hours that they were launching an investigation.

Chelsea have instructed their players not to discuss the matter publicly as the process takes its course.

They could yet, however, find themselves in the dock as well.

Mental.

Arnie

These two lines made me genuinely fucking laugh out loud.

The party consisted of chief executive Ron Gourlay, manager Roberto Di Matteo, his assistant Eddie Newton and Mikel.

Terry raced from the other end of the tunnel area – around 15 yards – to join the melee

Sounds to me like Clatternburg's leaked his version of events in an attempt to swing the balance of discourse back into neutral territory.

Fry

tell her to grow a pair

im in the eye of sandy right now, its fun. like really windy and little animals getting tossed around

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/183ouke32wt9sgif/original.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people are having fun.

[IMG]http://media.kickstatic.com/kickapps/images/148597/photos/PHOTO_17928387_148597_43368119_ap_730X550.jpg

Kyoufu

Sounds to me like Clatternburg's leaked his version of events in an attempt to swing the balance of discourse back into neutral territory.

Yep.

Fire Clattenburg please. Don't give a shit what happens to Mikel but FIRE THAT SHIT REFEREE.

Banging and shouting could be heard coming from the referee’s dressing room? Di Matteo drenched in sweat?

Time to hit that fifa thread in gaming side again.

Also clearly we need a Being Chelsea series too.

LegoArmo

Miguel Delaney on Twitter seems to reckon there's quite a lot of dodgy goings on in football that the public don't know about.

I really hope it's not as corrupt as other sports. Drugs, match fixing?

jtb

Banned
Sandy's been pretty muted so far on the Upper West in Manhattan. Flooding's really bad though (they're saying the Subway tunnels are gonna be flooded so that's gonna be a real pain in the ass for the next week or so)... hope I don't lose power, but it's beginning to flicker so the odds aren't good.

Arnie

Miguel Delaney on Twitter seems to reckon there's quite a lot of dodgy goings on in football that the public don't know about.

Said it yesterday, not in a serious accusatory manner, but if it turned out that the linesman at Goodison was part of a match fixing scandal would anyone really be that surprised? Such was the enormity of the failing. Again, I'm not saying he was, this isn't a conspiracy, just that at times the scale of these fuck ups are beyond comprehension.

If match fixing and doping appears in other sports and leagues, why wouldn't it appear in the most lucrative, most popular league and sport combination in the world*.

*Might not be true, could be another fact from my arse

Sloosha

Banging and shouting could be heard coming from the referee’s dressing room? Di Matteo drenched in sweat?

Time to hit that fifa thread in gaming side again.

Also clearly we need a Being Chelsea series too.

It would be infinitely more interesting than Being Liverpool, albeit for all the wrong reasons.

Lightning

Banned
Sandy's been pretty muted so far on the Upper West in Manhattan. Flooding's really bad though (they're saying the Subway tunnels are gonna be flooded so that's gonna be a real pain in the ass for the next week or so)... hope I don't lose power, but it's beginning to flicker so the odds aren't good.
Hope you don't lose power as that will suck but at least your possessions are out of the way from being damaged.

GorillaJu

I've been through so many typhoons that the Sandy stuff doesn't seem particularly frightening. Just had one two months ago that was almost as strong as Sandy.

Slizz

I've been through so many typhoons that the Sandy stuff doesn't seem particularly frightening. Just had one two months ago that was almost as strong as Sandy.

Yeah, seems to be though that its not really the ferocity of the storm but the constant raining and flooding. Some ridiculous pictures out there of NY and NJ.

Posted about this a few days ago too, claims there have been some pretty big cover ups.

I think it's inevitable tbh. His point about Messi and Ronaldo is worth noting too, so many games and knocks and no injuries.

Fry

So, can Homeland get any better than this?

I think I've never seen a show that ups a level every episode. I don't think they can top themselves so soon again.

FootballFan

Posted about this a few days ago too, claims there have been some pretty big cover ups.

I think it's inevitable tbh. His point about Messi and Ronaldo is worth noting too, so many games and knocks and no injuries.

He's just jealous. Dat Messi-Ronaldo unbreakable-ness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom