• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would give it a shot.

We have yet to see how Rooney + RVP + Mata + Herrera combine together.

With some pacy WBs they might work out.
I don't know if it would work in the 352 and for the team, but when they have played together they've tended to connect and link up well.

Certainly nothing which suggests it would be a disaster anyway.

pulga

Banned
Thanks. I love your insight posts. I also agree that James instead of Di Maria will definitely take away from our counter attacking prowess.

Going back to Atlético, I do think they are aware of their limitations on offense, do you think Jiménez can be an impact player for them going forward? I don't know much about the lad, but el cholo must be seeing something in him.

75% of AS' readers voted for Di Maria ahead of James to start today.

Flo, you done fucked up.

Your team is still top 3 material, but Viola are REALLY close to your quality now. It'll be a fucking dogfight this season :lol
It'll be a fight, until about mid-season, when we start regularly dropping points to, e.g., Chievo, Palermo, and Sassuolo.

This has been such a terrible summer for us. I don't know what ADL, Bigon, and Benitez have been doing.

Vargas will never succeed with Benitez, best for him to find a club with friendlier lineups. Vargas is not a classic #9, more like a 9and a half, which is surprising that Benitez no longer uses that type of player, back when he was at Valencia Angulo used to be that type of player along with Xisco.
Anyways good luck to Vargas, he is underrated.
I really wished Vargas would see a rise in fortunes under Benitez, but - alas - it wasn't meant to be. I'll just sit through another season of watching Pandev flounder (thankfully, one more slot down on the roster, now that Michu has joined).

Good luck to Vargas at QPR.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
FIGC just posted Conte's CV

BvZ4N5RCcAA-CHW.jpg

glad the new FIGC knows how to count :lol

oh shut up guys

And so a person's (in this case you) subjective opinion of individual footballers is entirely worthless and at odds with reality.

You could say the same of your evaluation of United's players considering you have admitted Fergie got the best out of them.

I meant in terms of team cohesion, we already know how Rooney's stats juke fucking everything

I'd love to see Welbz get a run up front

LVG pls
You said Welbeck is better for either than they are for one another.

Now you might be right, Welbeck has played with both and done well in spells and so has the partner (RVP and Rooney).

But when they both play together they score goals and we win more. No real evidence to back that claim up. Fair enough if that's your opinion.

The point on Rooney has nothing to do with his partnerships. That's a Rooney issue. We saw it on Saturday.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It'll be a fight, until about mid-season, when we start regularly dropping points to, e.g., Chievo, Palermo, and Sassuolo.

This has been such a terrible summer for us. I don't know what ADL, Bigon, and Benitez have been doing.
this is mostly on ADL isn't it? Sounds like Rafa is actually requesting reinforcements

you'll be fiiiine, Rossi and Gomez will tear an ACL again by the end of October and you won't even have to worry about them

or us

Thanks. I love your insight posts. I also agree that James instead of Di Maria will definitely take away from our counter attacking prowess.

Going back to Atlético, I do think they are aware of their limitations on offense, do you think Jiménez can be an impact player for them going forward? I don't know much about the lad, but el cholo must be seeing something in him.
Jimenez is a good player, he has been a starter for America for the past 2 seasons. 2 years ago when Mexico won the Olimpics, Jimenez was included instead of Pulido (same player now without a team and in a legal battle with Tigres), Jimenez has the potential, is a tall player but its good with his feet, he is closer to a Costa like player than Madzukic. But at Atleti he will be bench, up front Mandzukic has to fail miserably for Simeone to go with Jimenez for the first option, and on the wing Koke, Griezman, Garcia, Turan are all better on the wing and all of them help with marking. He has the potential, but European football is in another level than the mexican league.

I don't know if it would work in the 352 and for the team, but when they have played together they've tended to connect and link up well.

Certainly nothing which suggests it would be a disaster anyway.

That was true under Fergie, especially before Rooney fell out with Fergie. Not so much under Moyes. Last season there were a lot of times where RVP barely had a touch on the ball, and none came from Rooney.

Flo, you done fucked up.
he has been the best RM for a while, without him Carletto's 4-3-3 doesnt work. It wasnt until Di Maria was moved to accompany Modric-Alonso in the middle that Real got their pieces together. Great player.

Wilbur

Banned
You said Welbeck is better for either than they are for one another.

Now you might be right, Welbeck has played with both and done well in spells and so has the partner (RVP and Rooney).

But when they both play together they score goals and we win more. No real evidence to back that claim up. Fair enough if that's your opinion.

The point on Rooney has nothing to do with his partnerships. That's a Rooney issue. We saw it on Saturday.

Yeah, fair enough. Maybe my subliminal hatred of Waz is overlooking cold hard logic

edit: Salva, just Rooney in general :lol. Gets loads of goals and assists but plays poorly, sometimes to the detriment of the team. So... he's an odd one

GorillaJu

Rooney and RVP can carry the team when they're both fit and firing. They don't even need much service, the technique between the two of them ensures that there will always be at least a handful or golden chances.

They aren't always super exciting to watch but if theure both playing United will score goals.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Conte "With Juve the relationship had run out."

"We tried, but like with a couple, something had broken."

So he wasn't tired after all. I don't know who to blame here..

probably Woodward

It felt like they were rarely both fit at the same time under Moyes.

Yeah it seemed that way and people kept using that excuse as to why the team would perform better as soon as they both became fit. Then they became fit and Moyes still failed to get anything from them.

That was true under Fergie, especially before Rooney fell out with Fergie. Not so much under Moyes. Last season there were a lot of times where RVP barely had a touch on the ball, and none came from Rooney.
Yes. But obviously we have to allow 1) for Moyes and the state of the team and 2) they assisted one another more last year than they actually did in RVP's first year.

I'm not saying it's good for the team or that the connection is a instinctive one or anything like that. But it's been tried and it's worked.

I think what he's talking about is set pieces inflating Rooney's stats, so that it looks like the relationship on the pitch is better than what it is.
I don't think that's what he meant but even if he did - Rooney has assisted RVP from a set piece just once since RVP joined the club as far as I am aware.

Edit - Checked and it's 2 goals that Rooney has assisted via set piece for him.

Meier

That's fantastic. Dean, you hold the controller at a weird angle. Where is the TV in relation to your bed? I have to be like 3 or 4 feet away from the screen, otherwise I fucking hate it.

So he wasn't tired after all. I don't know who to blame here..

I'm sure he was tired of the owners seemingly pocketing all the money they get rather than putting it into the team. Juve are cheap to the point of parody.

WJD

Yeah it seemed that way and people kept using that excuse as to why the team would perform better as soon as they both became fit. Then they became fit and Moyes still failed to get anything from them.

Even then RVP barely looked match fit. Same at the WC despite his good group stage performances game against Spain.

I worry that he'll struggle to get back anywhere near his 2011-13 level.

pulga

Banned
he has been the best RM for a while, without him Carletto's 4-3-3 doesnt work. It wasnt until Di Maria was moved to accompany Modric-Alonso in the middle that Real got their pieces together. Great player.

Agreed, Di Maria brings a special spark to the mid that no one else in the team has.

this is mostly on ADL isn't it? Sounds like Rafa is actually requesting reinforcements

you'll be fiiiine, Rossi and Gomez will tear an ACL again by the end of October and you won't even have to worry about them

or us
Well, sure, Rafa has been requesting reinforcements, but he's also spent the summer in constant contact with Fellaini. I was wary when he wanted to replace Cavani with Higuain last summer, but now I'm just destitute.

The only positive I can think of is that ADL is saving the money for a massive renovation to the San Paolo. But for that to happen, we'd need him and the city council to work together for more than 2 1/2 days each year.

As is, if Rossi and Gomez tear their ACLs, Totti has a stroke on opening day, and your entire midfield decides to force through transfers in the next week, we may just have a chance to finish above fourth.

Jimenez is a good player, he has been a starter for America for the past 2 seasons. 2 years ago when Mexico won the Olimpics, Jimenez was included instead of Pulido (same player now without a team and in a legal battle with Tigres), Jimenez has the potential, is a tall player but its good with his feet, he is closer to a Costa like player than Madzukic. But at Atleti he will be bench, up front Mandzukic has to fail miserably for Simeone to go with Jimenez for the first option, and on the wing Koke, Griezman, Garcia, Turan are all better on the wing and all of them help with marking. He has the potential, but European football is in another level than the mexican league.
That makes sense, Jiménez is a contingency to Madzukic with potential to develop in a good alternative with time. I hope he does, la liga is better with Atlético doing good and threatening the big 2, I wish more teams were able to take the next step, but I don't see it happening. That TV deal needs to be reshaped for the betterment of the competitiveness.

Flo, you done fucked up.

Maybe. Di Maria is a great complement for Bale and Ronaldo speed, but I think James can be a good player for us once he's adjusted to our midfield and creating chances trough ball play, where Di Maria isn't as effective.

It's kind of unfair to judge this now. Di Maria plays on automatic with the team as he's completely adjusted but James isn't and that requires time.

That's fantastic. Dean, you hold the controller at a weird angle. Where is the TV in relation to your bed? I have to be like 3 or 4 feet away from the screen, otherwise I fucking hate it.

hahaha, I was cold that night! Also the TV is about 3 or 4 feet away from where I'm sitting yeah.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Well, sure, Rafa has been requesting reinforcements, but he's also spent the summer in constant contact with Fellaini. I was wary when he wanted to replace Cavani with Higuain last summer, but now I'm just destitute.

The only positive I can think of is that ADL is saving the money for a massive renovation to the San Paolo. But for that to happen, we'd need him and the city council to work together for more than 2 1/2 days each year.

As is, if Rossi and Gomez tear their ACLs, Totti has a stroke on opening day, and your entire midfield decides to force through transfers in the next week, we may just have a chance to finish above fourth.

that won't be necessary, Allegri will injure half of them soon enough.

and by them I mean the whole squad

Di Maria is the most complete player right now, attacks, defends, compliments, works a lot, opens the field, has amazing definition, very rarely looses his temper, ambidextrous; plays in every position in the mid except anchor man. But he has one thing against him, he was a Mourihno signing.

bud23

Luis Suarez was 'really depressed' after World Cup bite. Barcelona striker admits he was concerned for his future as a footballer and a person following his bite on Italy's Giorgio Chiellini.

If I start thinking about everything I've gone through, I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Poor guy.

ibqokmtG7Tdf4k.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom