• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to put this in the online dating thread, but you guys probably could help me better

There's this girl on pof who is great and we share similar interests, but she looks exactly like Pirlo. Like, I'm impressed, but I don't know if it's hot or not.

omgkitty

If we do get a DM, I'm willing to wait till Jan before signing a defender as long as we get a ST in this window.

The fact of the matter is we need a CB more than anything. Chambers has looked great there, but we need someone else. We'll be up shit creek without a paddle if more than one of our CB's gets hurt. I know a backup CB isn't exciting, but it's necessary. Some people seem to think that Carvalho would be able to play at CB as well and it looks like we're pushing forward in the deal.

phaze

Nah son...Pogba.

40m + Poldi is fair right?

Poldi is a great selfie taker and contributes much to every trophy celebration. I would say 20 will be enough. ;P

Shame Juve Bros will just waste him like they did with the glory that was and is Bendtner.

LTWheels

I wanted to put this in the online dating thread, but you guys probably could help me better

There's this girl on pof who is great and we share similar interests, but she looks exactly like Pirlo. Like, I'm impressed, but I don't know if it's hot or not.

Might as well go for it. You would never no if you don't. If it goes bad then, so what.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

I don't know what pof is but if you're not attracted to her then what's the point :lol

Maybe it's the hair?

Bold One

Bv4pipiIgAA5NU7.jpg

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Anyone worried about Di Maria and the physicality of the league? Dudes a stick firgure D:

Arnie

You know it ;)

I deserve it and I'll take it.

The whole #newera stuff really tickled me into over-excitement on Saturday. Whilst your team played shit and exhibited the same problems we've seen from them in previous seasons you did get a draw at Goodison which is a decent result.

stuff from this morning.
- Andres Guardado close to moving on loan to PSV.
- Atletico had 12M bid rejected for Ricky Alvarez.
- Zidane looses first Castilla match against.... Atletico B B)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Watching the Di Maria youtube vids

It really has been so long since we had a winger who could beat a man ;_;

I hope he delivers

omgkitty

This guy makes a really good point about what the problem with Arsenal is against better teams:

I’ve been working for over a year to figure out what is wrong with Arsenal. Why doesn’t this team generate shots like it used to? And why aren’t they just better? They used to be better. As I’ve said in the past, part of it is talent – Arsenal bled a lot of incredible players over the last five years or so. But plenty of managers have had lesser talent and done more, including Wenger himself. It’s so rare that you see systemic outputs change this much without the approach changing as well.

Yesterday while watching the match, it finally came to me.

Remember what Arsenal were like 4 or 5 years ago? They were Barcelona-lite. They would have huge possession, set up camp outside the 18, and eventually, after teasing their fans to death, shoot high percentage shots. It was glorious to watch, but they had two weaknesses.

The first was against teams that managed to figure out how to press them in the 40-20 yard area, which was fairly rare back then. Traditional English management says you bunker your defense in and around the box, and hope for the best.

And the second weakness was against teams that could counter attack with good attacking talent.

Think of how many times it looked like Arsenal dominated a match against Manchester United, except for the fact that they lost. Think of how many [expletive deleted] times Park and Rooney would race down the pitch and score a goal or two in the second half that finished a match.

Now think about the “death of tiki-taka.” Super possession teams have had the exact same problems in Europe (and often in their own leagues) that Arsenal had during that era. Strong, physical teams with good talent that know how to disrupt outside the 18 yard box, and then counter attack like lightning have utterly dominated the last two years against high possession teams. The same thing happened to Spain at the World Cup.

At some point Ferguson figured out that tactical matchup. So did Mourinho at Real, and no one during that era had better talent overall than Barcelona. Heynckes solved it as well, and lead Bayern to an incredible season.

Basically, Arsenal have sustained splash damage from their gorgeous attacking approach when it comes to facing talented teams. This has left Wenger with a dilemma. He either has to stratify his tactical approach into two buckets – possession against the lesser teams (and they always mow down lesser teams), and “something else that hopefully works” against good teams, or he has to adapt the possession approach to handle this new challenge.

The problem here is that not even Pep Guardiola has figured out how to fix the problem his system has with hyper-physical counterattacking teams. The other issue is that even if Wenger were willing, Arsenal can’t go for a full change and switch to a physical, counter-attacking approach themselves for a very clear reason. They are tiny.

Smallest average height in a side? Arsenal. Lightest average weight in the side? Arsenal. Arsenal can’t play physical against teams with the same talent, because they just get shrugged off.

So watching Everton pick apart Arsenal on the break in the exact same fashion they did last year made me realize it’s actually the same systemic flaw we’ve been seeing for most of the last decade. Arsene’s been trying to figure out how to fix it, and he can’t. If you rock a standard high possession plan, you leave yourself vulnerable to counters. If you try to control more for counters, you generate fewer shots, and lower shot differential, and lower possession, which in turn gives your opponents more of the ball and more shots. Sound familiar?

The best Wenger has been able to do while keeping his system is turn games to mud against good teams, or hope the good teams want to dominate possession, and then allow his team to counter-attack or nick a set piece or two.

Can the system be fixed? Obviously better minds than mine have been working on this and haven’t solved it.

One thing I would definitely do though is look at bigger, faster, better personnel in midfield, especially in the DM role. Arsenal’s potential selections here are Flamini (tiny), Arteta (older and tiny) and uh, Wilshere? I know Wenger wants top passers in that role, but there have to be guys who are both physical and capable distributors. This is even more true when Mertesacker is in the side. Mert is a great game reader, but him plus the DM selection, plus Monreal and Debuchy mean there is almost no pace in the back line. Compare that to what Arsenal once had in Sol Campbell, Kolo Toure, or even William Gallas before he totally lost his legs, and you can see the shift.

Want to play a higher line while still trying to keep counters in check? Maybe you need to compensate with more pace and physicality in your defenders?

All of this leads to other questions like, is Wenger too old to truly change and adapt to a system that can win the league these days? Or does Arsenal just have to spend enough money to recruit the top talent to compete with Chelsea and City, at which point Wenger’s classic system will be fine again?

I personally do not know, but I have watched enough of these battles to feel that Arsenal are caught in a spot where they want to fix a flaw, don’t know how to do it comprehensively (either through personnel or tactical changes), and bleed points because of it.

Cardiff City flop Andreas Cornelius may yet make a sensational return to British football with Newcastle United, according to reports.

The big Dane was the Bluebirds' record signing at the time of his capture from FC Copenhagen last summer for what was a reported £8m fee by then-manager Malky Mackay.

But, while fans had hoped the unheard of 21-year-old could lead the line in the Premier League, injury and non-selection meant he barely featured.

When he did play, he made little impact - failing to score in the eight matches in which he took the field for the Bluebirds.

In January, he was sold back to Copenhagen for an undisclosed fee, with Cardiff owner Vincent Tan later hitting out at the deal that brought Cornelius to South Wales.

Tan revealed in an interview with WalesOnline in May that the true cost of Cornelius's transfer was much higher than had been reported, adding his wages were £45,000-per-week.

Back on home soil, Cornelius has bagged eight goals in 17 appearances in the Danish Superliga, where he tops the scoring charts.

And according to the Sunday People, that form saw Newcastle's chief scout Graham Carr visit Denmark last week to check on Cornelius's progress.

Whether the Toon will follow up their interest remains to be seen, having already bolstered their striking ranks with the acquisitions of Emmanuel Riviere and Facundo Ferreyra already this summer.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ewcastle-united-tracking-cardiff-city-7666186

Another 10 mil please. We will take him back at Christmas for 2.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
http://imgur.com/bakzfb8.png[IMG]

Tell me you guys see it[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have posted it here :lol

She looks like a sweet lady, nothing like Pirlo. I don't know how old are you but she doesn't look that young. There's potential in that body, if you're both down go for it, it beats masturbating innit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom